Start by marking “Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)” as Want to Read:
Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)

Warbreaker

(Warbreaker #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  119,799 ratings  ·  8,870 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker is the story of two sisters, who happen to be princesses, the God King one of them has to marry, the lesser god who doesn't like his job, and the immortal who's still trying to undo the mistakes he made hundreds of years ago.

Their world is one in which those who die in glory return as gods to live conf
ebook, Draft version, 688 pages
Published 2009 by Self-published

To ask other readers questions about Warbreaker, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Caleb E Durrant
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  119,799 ratings  ·  8,870 reviews

Start your review of Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1)
Petrik
Nov 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: high fantasy fans
4.5/5 stars

A colorful, vibrant, and highly character-driven standalone fantasy.

If you haven’t seen the tenth-anniversary leatherbound edition of Warbreaker, I suggest you take a look now by clicking here: https://www.brandonsanderson.com/the-...

No, I don’t have one; I simply can’t afford it. However, staring at how gorgeous it is, it certainly solidified my decision to reread Warbreaker; this time with the annotated edition which I haven’t done before, and I will recommend reading this edition o
Caz (littlebookowl)
AHHH
WHAT JUST
I need the next book. Now. And I don't have it. What do I do!?
Katerina
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 2018-reads
A man cannot claim to be a fantasy fan if a man hasn't read Brandon Sanderson at least once in his lifetime.
“My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

I feel like I was dormant Before. An inanimate object patiently awaiting, until Brandon Sanderson infused my molecules with Breath, until he Awakened me and gave me senses, feelings, purpose. Ever since I finished Warbreaker, my mind floats and wanders around Cosmere, and I can't seem to find the courage nor the will to come back.
It's unsettli
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Son of a damn ass cracker!!! Whyyyyyyyyyyy! I’ve had this mass market FOREVER! I have the Audible. It’s been on my TBR since 2015. What the literal hell!

I could have bought the damn ass special edition if I would have read it and realized I would love it!! Because I’m a twat!!! Gahhh! I could scream. I mean I generally love all Brandon fantasy books. I’m a twat! Okay, rant over 😂🤣

I loved this book!! I love the characters! I love how unique and different it is, to me anyway.

And all the colors!!
Lady Luna. ✨
"My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

Buddy read with my homies at fantasy buddy reads & some of my favorite people;
1. Mary
2. Patty
3.Celeste
4.Choko

HOLY SHIT

SLAP MY ASS AND CALL ME SUE! WHAT IN GODS NAME DID I JUST READ?! ILL TELL YOU WHAT, A FUCKING MASTERPIECE.

description

“Every man is a hero of his own story."

This book was absolutely mind blowing good, it took my breath away & now I'm a drab, I am once again at a loss for words after another Sanderson book. Seriously ho
jessica
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lets play six degrees of brandon sanderson! i will go first - i recently found out that my dads brothers wifes brother is childhood best friends with brandon and they still are close to this day. so much so that my cousins have met him, got books signed, etc. after hearing about this, i felt obligated that my next read should be one of his novels. i mean, we are practically family. lol.

after ‘elantris,’ its so amazing to see how much sanderson has developed as a writer and author since his debu
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
4.5 I always have a hard time reviewing Brandon Sanderson's books. As always the world building and the magic system is what makes this book amazing. I really liked the story and the twist I didn't see coming.

I would totally recommend this books and cannot wait for the sequel since the title is the name of one of my favorite character... a talking sword :P
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

I've been had.

I'm simultaneously impressed and infuriated by this knowledge.

It's not that I consider myself to be exceptionally smart so that nothing ever gets by me, or that I'm super sneaky and thus able to suss out super sneakiness in others, but you know how it is: when you've read enough books, you become cynical.

If a character does even a single eyebrow-raising thing, you've got their number. Anything that qualifies as "questionable" behavior a suspect makes.

Take
Dana Ilie
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
What can I say? I really, really enjoyed this. Brandon Sanderson proves once again that he is the master of world-building. It is no easy task to create a whole world complete with a well-developed magic system, different cultures, opposing religions and political intrigue – not to mention brilliant three-dimensional, complex characters to boot!
Yet again Sanderson has created realistic characters that almost burst from the page. Told from four different perspectives, you really feel immersed in
Samantha
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not on the same level for me as Mistborn but I do have a feeling that I'll appreciate this one even more as time goes on and I'm looking forward to discussing it more in detail during with my gush video!
Warda
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Sooo, now that I have read it for the second time, I'm not as blown away as I was when I read it for the first time. (See the review below where I had my initial meltdown).
BUT, Sanderson still remains a genius. I mainly read this since I'm rereading his Cosmere books to prepare for when I eventually read Rhythm of War.

I really hope we get a sequel soon for this. (Preferably with Nightblood having a POV).
The ending was beautiful!

---------------

SANDERSON, YOU FUCKIN' GENIUS! *sobs* I can't review
Choko
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
*** 5 ***

Wow! Another spellbinding, mind blowing, fast talking, action packed Sanderson hit! I have gotten so used to his brilliance already that it doesn't surprise me anymore - I have come to expect it from him and wonder if he will ever write something that lets my high expectations down... Well, not this time, that is for sure!

I love the universe Sanderson has created for the majority of his Fantasy, of which this world is a part of. This time the magic system depends on the human "breath" ,
Bibi
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
**Spoilers**

In the past 72 hrs, I've read in excess of 2600 kindle pages by Sanderson
and let me tell you, it's been an immersion of epic proportion. This author is one level above genius. The prose, the world-building, the characters, and exposition. All brilliantly done.

I digress.

Once I finished the Mistborn trilogy, I dove into Warbreaker anticipating an equally exhilarating experience.

Unlike the Mistborn series, Warbreaker read like it was written in parts, with long intervals between each s
MischaS_
To all of those who kept recommending Sanderson's books to me. I should have listened to you sooner.

I decided that Warbreaker would be a great start to Sanderson after it was recommended to me by several people, and I liked that it could be considered a standalone even if it's getting a sequel which it really needs!

I had no idea what to expect from this, and I was pleasantly surprised. I won't say that I love everything about this book because that was not the case. But even being unhappy about
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
"It's funny, Vasher thought, how many things begin with my getting thrown into prison."

Warbreaker is one of those books that I will think back on and say "Wow that was a really well balanced fantasy novel." And by well balanced I mean that everything was in perfect proportion. The number of perspectives, the intricacy of the plot, the pace of action, everything was just perfectly well written.

I want to take a moment and explain a small thing about myself and why this book, as well as Sanderson's
Chelsea Humphrey
Another winner from Sanderson!
Merphy Napier
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, five-stars, adult
This book was freaking amazing.

This seems to be pretty low on the list of favorite Sandersons for a lot of people and for the life of me, I don't know why. It's thrilling, it's fast paced, the characters are EXCELLENT, it's emotional in the end, and it's SO FREAKING GOOD!!! I miss this book already. I want the sequel TOMORROW. I don't have a lot I can say at the moment. I just want to reread it now.
Hasham Rasool
"My life is yours. My Breath become yours."

Brandon Sanderson has wonderful ideas of magical powers system, belief and political.

WOW, WOW, WOW!
This is a very different kind of fantasy book.

This is an unusual Sanderson's book. I feel this book completed adult version.

'Warbreaker' genres are mystery, magic and the politics of divinity.

Lots of characters are stupendous! My favourite characters are Lightsong the Bold, Llarimar, Nightblood, Vasher, Siri, Susebron and Vivenna but Lightsong the Bold is
Jody
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great addition to the Cosmere. Brandon Sanderson needs to get busy writing the sequel to Warbreaker. I really need to know what happens next ASAP.

OK! To be honest, I was a little skeptical of Warbreaker for about the first 100 pages. This has to be the slowest beginning to any Sanderson book I have read to date. Once the politics and characters personalities starting taking shape I got more invested, but was still searching for that WOW factor I always feel in Sanderson's works. Well, it
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Warbreaker's 2020 Cosmere Reread before Rhythm of War is DONE! Colours that was as awesome as ever! There are still so many secrets!!! I love this book! One more exclamation! :D

I was lucky enough this time around to be able to experience the luxurious quality that is a Sanderson leatherbound book and it did not disappoint. And the artwork, friends - gorgeously illustrated images by fantastic artists, not to mention the beautiful drop-cap illustrations by Jian Guo! I coul not resist adding a coup
Markus
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, cosmere, 2015

“You should watch yourself, child,” he whispered. “Not all here in the palace is as it seems.”

Siri and Vivenna are princesses of the mountain kingdom of Idris, a minor power whose very existence is threatened by invasion from the Kingdom of the Iridescent Tones. And so, to avoid war, one of them must leave her home to marry the God King of Hallandren, a man reputed to be a monster.

Read a book by Brandon Sanderson, and certain things are guaranteed to appear. An innovative magic system f
Gavin
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Warbreaker is another great Brandon Sanderson epic fantasy novel. Like his other books this had great world building, a fantastic and unique system of magic, and a ton of memorable characters.

Warbreaker is the story of two sisters and their attempts to stop two nations from going to war. All set in a world where those who die in glory are returned as Gods, and souls are the fuel that keeps both the returned Gods alive, and powers the biochromatical magic system.

Warbreaker is a superb book an
Haïfa
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: epic-fantasy
*** Revamped, spoiler-free review ***

What a colorful world Brandon Sanderson crafted in Warbreaker!

Warbreaker is at first glance the tale of two radically different sisters. Vivenna, the oldest of her siblings is traditional, poised and raised to be the perfect bride to the powerful and fearsome God King of heathen Hallandren, in order to maintain the precarious peace between their two kingdoms. And then, there is Siri, the youngest princess, bold, rebellious, curious, full of life and "unimpor
Deborah Obida
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“My life to yours. My Breath become yours.”

This book blew me away, I love everything about it from the very first page to the last one. I was neither bored nor annoyed by any of the characters, I love them all, I don't even hate the villains, they are just to wise but I love how things ended for everyone despite their loss, it was worth the gain.

This book has a very complex but simple magic system that I love so much, the magic use colour and breath, if you are familiar with Sanderson then y
Imane
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
“My life to yours, my breath become yours.”
― Brandon Sanderson, Warbreaker

🌟4.5/5🌟
Sanderson did it again!! What a wonderful read! The world building, the characters, the magic system, the plot and the writing style were once again nothing short of amazing. I WANT THE NEXT BOOK RIGHT NOW !!!
Robin (Bridge Four)
What is better than Pi day (3.14)? A Warbreaker reread/buddy read starting on Pi Day with my felllow Sandersonitis friends at Fantasy Buddy Reads

This is a private group. Let me know if you need an invite.

What made this book Awesome all over again? Two Characters Vasher and Nightblood!!!
Would you like to destroy some evil today?

Original Review Jun 2014:

4.25 Stars

Buddy read with Athena and Alexa.

I have Sandersonitis – Symptoms include
- Bleary eyes from reading too long or staying
J.L.   Sutton
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Warbreaker, Brandon Sanderson gives readers imaginative epic fantasy world-building along with a good story (what one generally comes to expect from Sanderson and which he consistently delivers on). I enjoyed the story of the two heroines, Vivenna and Siri. In the face of impending war with Hallendron, they are forced to take on new and unexpected roles, both for their own survival, as well as the survival of their kingdom. While I enjoyed Warbreaker, the middle suffered a bit. After Sanderso ...more
Tessy Ijachi
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
Colours were just colours until I read this book. After reading this, it is pretty much obvious that Sanderson is a much bigger genius than Einstein ever was. I wonder where he gets his ideas from, did he look at a paint set one day and then came up with Biochroma? I guess we'll never know.
Turns out that I can't marry a book, unfortunately.

”My life to yours, My breath become yours.”

I enjoyed reading this very much, the characters were spot on, plot was intriguing and most importantly the mag
Sara
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, adult, fantasy

So I think by this point you can definitely call me a Sanderson fan.

Before jumping into his arguably most well known Mistborn series, I wanted to try the two current ‘standalones’ in his fantasy back catalogue (yes, I know we might eventually get sequels to both of these, but they’re currently finished). I started with Elantris, the first published work, before moving onto Warbreaker. And I’m so glad I did. Although I loved Elantris, you can really see and appreciate the development of
Felicia
Jun 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this a lot. One thing I admire about this author is his dedication to world-building. This is the third world I've read by him where he's invented a new type of magic system that is fresh and interesting. It takes a lot of road-paving to get something this unique through to the audience, and the beginning is a bit slow because of it, but I really enjoyed the characters and the magic system.

Like most of the other reviews I agree the ending felt a bit rushed, and the sequel was set up in

• The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
  • The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

Warbreaker (2 books)
  • Nightblood (Warbreaker, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Dragons, demons, kings, queens, and the occasional farm boy (with a special destiny, of course): Fantasy literature has it all! To celebrate...
“Mocking a woman is like drinking too much wine. It may be fun for a short time, but the hangover is hell.” 805 likes
“I swear, my dear. Sometimes our conversations remind me of a broken sword."

She raised an eyebrow.

"Sharp as hell," Lightsong said, "but lacking a point.”
524 likes