UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Archive > Self Challenges:- Elle for 2013

Comments Showing 1-50 of 264 (264 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Elle (last edited Sep 04, 2013 02:08PM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Elle is getting her challenge on for 2013.

I have some 'goals'.

Read 50 books.

DONE - 4th September

Read over 10,000 pages.

Rules for myself

:- Books can overlap
:- Short stories and Non-Fictional books all count towards the totals
:- If I don't finish a book because I really didn't like it, I can take it off the list guilt-free! (No time for bad books in this showdown!) BUT it can count towards the total pages!

message 2: by Elle (last edited Sep 06, 2013 04:26AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Challenge 1

Last year I had the idea to challenge myself to read a lot of old books I had lying around on my Kindle.

This year I'm going to be slightly more realistic and say I need to read the earliest purchases on my Kindle that I've yet to read.

Given the fact these are all classics. It saves me having to attempt a classics challenge. Which will mean I have to pick classics. This way I'm forced.

Working from the earliest to the latest:

1 DNF 1 DELETED

King Arthur and His Knights (Children's Classics) by James Knowles Little Women (Little Women, #1) by Louisa May Alcott Dracula by Bram Stoker The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde Frankenstein by Mary Shelley The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle Beauty and the Beast by Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux

message 3: by Elle (last edited Sep 04, 2013 06:28AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Challenge 2

Bit of a jump calling this a challenge but since I got the books on my Kindle I haven't actually read them yet, sticking to my paper copies if I want to re-read a certain bit. This year I'll be working my way through them.

I was going to suggest maybe a group re-read/read. So if anyone wants to join, please do.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, #2) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #3) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter, #4) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Harry Potter, #5) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) by J.K. Rowling Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) by J.K. Rowling

message 4: by Elle (last edited Aug 13, 2013 03:33AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Challenge 3

I have issues. Seriously. I have a couple of series' that I own but I haven't finished them for stupid reasons. This year I hope to finish them properly.

the one i don't want to end

1/2

Hidden Currents (Drake Sisters, #7) by Christine Feehan

the one i also don't want to end

Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4) by L.M. Montgomery Anne of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #6) by L.M. Montgomery Rainbow Valley (Anne of Green Gables, #7) by L.M. Montgomery Rilla of Ingleside (Anne of Green Gables, #8) by L.M. Montgomery

the one i hope to end quicker

Catching Fire (The Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) by Suzanne Collins

the one i never remember how much i love until i read it

1/3

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish (Hitchhiker's Guide, #4) by Douglas Adams Mostly Harmless (Hitchhiker's Guide, #5) by Douglas Adams

the one i keep meaning to re-read

1/8

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #4) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Return of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #6) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Valley of Fear (Sherlock Holmes, #7) by Arthur Conan Doyle His Last Bow (Sherlock Holmes, #8) by Arthur Conan Doyle The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes Volume 1 by Arthur Conan Doyle

message 5: by Elle (last edited Aug 21, 2013 03:48AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Challenge 4

This challenge is for another group actually. It's pretty much read a book corresponding with the first letter of the month. You can pick either the author or the book title but you need to keep consistent.

please note: i've decided to maybe break the rule of keeping it consistent. there are too many j's and i don't think i have enough titles or authors without needing to buy more.

J J K Rowling - Harry Potter Prequel

F F. Scott Fitzgerald - Great Gatsby

M Maria Àngels Anglada - The Violin of Auschwitz

A Alison Sim - The Tudor Housewife

M Martin Oliver - Off with their Heads!: All the Cool Bits in British History

J Jacob F. Field - One Bloody Thing After Another: The World's Gruesome History

J Jenny Shaw - Disturbances

A Allen Ginsberg - Howl

S Stephen Chbosky - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

O

N Neil Gaiman - Coraline

D Douglas Adams - Life, the Universe, and Everything

message 6: by Elle (last edited Jun 02, 2013 05:59AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Challenge 5

1/3 completed

I have a couple DNF books. This year I'll be giving some of them another chance.

The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) by Terry Pratchett The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium, #1) by Stieg Larsson

message 8: by Elle (last edited Dec 22, 2013 09:54AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Films watched in 2013:

How To Train Your Dragon
Pitch Perfect
French Kiss
Breakfast Club
Star Trek
Tangled
Mamma Mia
The Artist
Kingdom of Heaven
The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert
Schindler's List
Legion
Battle Los Angeles
Skyfall
To Love (subtitled)
Jack the Giant Slayer
Iron Man 3
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Great Gatsby
Mud
A Hijacking (subtitled)
Behind The Candelabra
Populaire (subtitled)
Despicable Me 2
Thérèse Desqueyroux (subtitled)
The Iceman
Much Ado About Nothing
Man of Steel
Scarecrow
Byzantium
Up
The East
A Field In England
Wadjda (subtitled)
The Bling Ring
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Sherlock Holmes
Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows
Resident Evi: Retribution
Men in Black 3
Oz the Great and Powerful
Frances Ha
Real Steel
Pacific Rim
Wolverine
RED
I am Breathing
Only God Forgives
The Deep (subtitled)
Blackfish
Blancanieves
The Moo Man
Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters
The Lone Ranger
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
Foxfire
The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones
Breathe In
From Up On Poppy Hill
What Maisie Knew
Lovelace
Upstream Colour
When The Dragon Swallowed The Sun (partly subtitled)
Premium Rush
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
50/50
Heaven's Gate
Bonjour Tristesse
Plein Soleil
In a World...
Diana
Good Vibrations
Annie Hall
The Wickerman
Kelly + Victor
Filth
Project Wild Thing
Le Week-End
Sunshine on Leith
Which way is the front line from here?
The Fifth Estate
Blue Jasmine
Gilda
Insomnia (subtitled)
Like Father, Like Son (subtitled)
Nosferatu
Philomena
The Selfish Giant
Nosferatu the Vampyre (subtitled)
Don Jon
Seducded and Abandoned
The Crash Reel (MY FILM OF THE YEAR!!)
Spijt (subtitled)
Frankenweenie
Short Term 12
Leviathan
Nebraska
Jeune & Jolie (subtitled)
Blue is the warmest colour
Scrooged
Kill Your Darlings
It's a wonderful life...
The Muppet Christmas Carol

message 9: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments We're meant to join in with our own challenges, right???
Is it okay if it's a writing challenge???
If so I'm thinking about sticking my neck out BIG TIME!!!

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments yesssssssss!!

just open up a new thread with your challenge (the thread up top gives all the details)!

you can steal other peoples or make up your own :D!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (booktigger) | 11355 comments Ooh, have been waiting for the 2013 challenges to open, I have 3

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I've been meaning to do mine for ages just so I could have 'em ready.

I do have my own little private groups so once I finished em over there i transferred em.

i was going to do a different thread but kept them tidy in here too - up to you how you do them :)

message 13: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Good Luck Elle!

message 14: by Elle (last edited Dec 28, 2012 11:36AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Thanks!

(I don't really want start anything now that I know I've got all my challenges ready to go in the next few days)

message 15: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Good Luck Elle ! I didn't realise the challenge would be so massive when you mentioned it ! Go girl !

message 16: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments wow - good luck with all them - i like the variety :)

and the tickers

if i can borrow the HP books from the library i will join you in that one - i listened to the audio books this year and read book 7 (cos i never saw the film) and would like to read the rest...

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Good luck Elle! I will join you in the Harry Potter re-read too!

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Thank you!

And when I start (which will hopefully be in January) I'll make sure to put up a thread. I'm thinking like 1.5months per book (although lets face it, we'll probably whip through em fast!)

I want to do it this time really in depth. Pick out my favourite quotes and discuss certain bits.

Like a HP book club?

message 19: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Shut up & Read

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/5...

Be warned it's got a serious tilt towards fantasy/supernatural books - although any genre is welcomed of course

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments my title sounds like im going for president.

i approve.

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "my title sounds like im going for president.

i approve."

Do we get flags and badges?

message 22: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments er.. i can give you virtual ones??!

message 23: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments I have just downloaded the first Harry Potter (despite having many DTB's of it!!!) so am ready to start when you are! :-)

message 24: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Wooooop! I won't be able to really start it until the 12th unfortunately. (How rubbish!)

But I have exams 7th,8th & 11th so I need to revise and be mature :(

I'm going to open a thread for it sometime when my internet/gr decides to grow the fuck up and work

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Challenge 6

Another group I am a member of does a 'pick it up for me' challenge every month where a member picks you a book to read from your to-read shelf. I take part nearly every month."

This sounds like a good idea = I'd have to tidy up my to-read shelf though as there are books on there that I would ~~like~~ to read but haven't actually got copies of (because they either aren't on kindle yet or because the kindle copies cost too much and I haven't spotted the books in a second hand shop yet) It would be just my luck that someone picked one of the ones I don't have.

message 26: by Mago (new)

Mago (Mark) | 1750 comments I'm looking forward to your HP group read Elle.
I've only read the first one and because it was so popular at the time I kind of wanted to dislike it and it became a self-fulfilling prophesy.
I'm considering my 2013 challenge but I'll happily join you in this one.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Wow Elle.

Just be prepared for some arse kicking if I reckon your studies are suffering!

message 28: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Jay-me (Janet) ~plum chutney is best~ wrote: "Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Challenge 6

Another group I am a member of does a 'pick it up for me' challenge every month where a member picks you a book to read from your to-read shelf. I take par..."

Yeah I signed up for the first time in August this year and spent about a day actually fixing my shelf. Took forever!

message 29: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Mago (Mark) wrote: "I'm looking forward to your HP group read Elle.
I've only read the first one and because it was so popular at the time I kind of wanted to dislike it and it became a self-fulfilling prophesy.
I'm c..."

Woooop!

message 30: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Patti (Festive Figgy Pudding) wrote: "Wow Elle.

Just be prepared for some arse kicking if I reckon your studies are suffering!"

Don't you worry Madam! The studying always comes first. In fact I am on a revision break right now. I'm about 2/3's the way through my history notes. After I finish writing them up I will spend this evening reading them over and the such. I got this!

message 31: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments 2013 of which currency?

If it's Australian dollars, I'll take three of her. English pounds, and you can get GTFO.

PS - Good luck with it.

message 32: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments LOL Michael! Okay. I really need to re-think my title!

message 33: by Freddiesmum (new)

Freddiesmum | 137 comments Good luck Elle and I will join you in the HP re reads!

message 34: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments thanks & woop!

message 35: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments First book was a short earlier in break from revision

Traditions from the Heart by Bru Baker

message 36: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments For your classic books I don't recommend Anna Karenina but Dracula is worth a read.

message 37: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Was it truly awful?!

I might delete it then and pretend I didn't totally "buy" it near the start and go with another one.

It's so strange I haven't read Dracula...

message 38: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Not awful but I really had to push myself to keep reading it. Anna Karenina has to be the most horrible 'heroine' ever and it goes into the politics of Russia, at the time of writing, and I didn't understand any of it.

Frankenstein was good too.

message 39: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Ye I liked Frankenstein the first time around but I read it in small chunks and can barely remember it (it was years ago)

I might totally skip that one then. I learn enough about Russian History and Politics in class.

message 40: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments On Jud's advice I've taken out Anna K and put in The Phantom of the Opera

message 41: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments That's good too :o)

message 42: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I've never even seen the film or anything. no idea what it is about

message 43: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Well, I'll tell you. It's about a phantom and an opera.

message 44: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments LOL

I figured that. I have a vague idea from conversations in the past. Plus I'm a history dork so I know the myth it's based on LOL

message 45: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I had a friend tell me once that Phantom of the Opera was based on Andrew Lloyd Webber and Sarah Brightman, cause he was so ugly! I quickly set her straight, poor Mr Webber...

He did write the musical for her though.

message 46: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments LOL

Aww bless.

message 47: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments http://www.amazon.co.uk/Traditions-fr...

Amazon link to my first book!

message 48: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Read our latest group book but nout to do with the challenges. Will start the HP book tomorrow when I'm less likely to fall asleep!!

message 49: by D.D. Chant (new)

D.D. Chant (DDChant) | 7680 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Not awful but I really had to push myself to keep reading it. Anna Karenina has to be the most horrible 'heroine' ever and it goes into the politics of Russia, at the time of writing, and I didn't..."

Yuck!!! I've just finished a book with a 'Heroine' that should have been dropped down a well. Actually that seems a bit to good of an end for her!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6