Start by marking “The Colorado Kid” as Want to Read:
The Colorado Kid

The Colorado Kid

3.33  ·  Rating details ·  31,052 ratings  ·  2,666 reviews
On an island off the coast of Maine, a man is found dead. There's no identification on the body. Only the dogged work of a pair of local newspapermen and a graduate student in forensics turns up any clues.

But that's just the beginning of the mystery. Because the more they learn about the man and the baffling circumstances of his death, the less they understand. Was it an

Mass Market Paperback, First edition; Hard Case Crime #13, 178 pages
Published February 20th 2006 by Hard Crime Case (first published October 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Colorado Kid, please sign up.
David Carter The only thing this has in common with the show is the title and the names of two characters. Even the name of the town is different. If you are a fan…moreThe only thing this has in common with the show is the title and the names of two characters. Even the name of the town is different. If you are a fan of the show then you'll probably be very disappointed with this book. (less)
Jared Nuhn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  31,052 ratings  ·  2,666 reviews

Start your review of The Colorado Kid
Jennifer Wardrip
May 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book, not because I'm a Stephen King fan (although I am), but because it was part of the new Hard Case Crime division of Dorchester Publishing. I'll admit, the variety of authors they've collected to write for them is extensive, and THE COLORADO KID just happened to be the first one in the Hard Case group to make it to the top of my to-be-read pile.

I understand, after reading THE COLORADO KID, why so many people on here posted negative reviews. I understand, because just like t
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Feeling generous with my 3.75 stars.

Turning to another short piece by Stephen King, I found this piece calling out to me. As King can vary greatly in his writing, I was not entirely sure what to expect, but found this mystery pulled me in while remaining as laid-back as a Maine summer’s day. Stephanie McCann is a journalism intern in a small Maine community, working alongside the town’s two newspaper reporters, Vince Teague and Dave Bowie. While Stephanie is looking to learn the nuances of small
Delee
"Ever come across a real unexplained mystery?"

The ratings for THE COLORADO KID were all over the place...I have only started reading Stephen King again in the last few years- after a couple disappointments in the late 90s, but after taking a chance with some of his more recent offerings- and loving them...I decided to take a chance with this one too.

The Main Characters:

Dave Bowie – The 65-year-old managing editor of The Weekly Islander, the small newspaper servicing the island of Moose-Lookit.

V
Deborah Obida
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first by Stephen King, I picked The Colorado Kid mainly cause I love the TV show Haven and its based on this, I was surprised that this is not a paranormal and the show is, its weird the this book being the predecessor is just a crime mystery.

I'm not a fan of crime books but its good to come out of my comfort zone that consist of Fantasy,Paranormal and Romance. I must admit this book got my wheels spinning a lot. The writing is okay not great, The plot is amazing and I love it.

I had l
Edward Lorn
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
A lot of people hate this book for bullshit reasons. I don't usually comment on other people's opinions (I have in the past, but not often) because its their subjective feelings about the shit they read. Fine. Whatever. But to hate this book because it has a cover that only vaguely touches upon the book and/or doesn't fit the Hard Case Crime series... I don't know... I mean, the book does have a female reporter in it and it is a mystery. Yeah, like I said, those people who hate on this book beca ...more
Ashley Daviau
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first time I’ve read this book by King because I finally managed to get my hands on it when it was rereleased. I’m glad I finally got to read it because I absolutely adored this story. It seems that people either love it or hate it and I’m most definitely in the love it camp. I found the story fascinating, it drew me in from the first page and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough to find out what would happen. Or in this case, to not find out what happens. Either way, I loved it!
Greg
Dec 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hard-case, mystery
A quick check of the personal 'most read authors' feature on goodreads tells me that this is my thirty-third Stephen King book, and it's the one that pushed King ahead of Bukowski as my most read author. There is the possibility that maybe there are a couple of duplicate ratings in there, but I'm not going to look. I'd rather have Stephen King be my most read author than Bukowski (32 Bukowski books?!? I know I really liked him for about five years, but how many times could I read the same story? ...more
Carol
3.5 Stars. No horror here, but still a worthwhile read in my book!

Stephen King states there will be no middle ground on this novel......that readers will either hate it or love it. As for me, I really enjoyed it as well as discovering in the Afterward what motivated him to write what is depicted as a hard-case-crime mystery.

I loved the two "old geezers" (as Mr. King calls them) that own the Weekly Islander Newspaper on Moose-Lookit Island, and the way they quizzed and inspired their 22 year old

Sandeep
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it
This was an unusual book, definitely not King's usual style. I did enjoy it, but ultimately it was underwhelming. Considering a man has been found dead on a beach, you don't really learn anything of interest about him or his death as a result of which you find yourself not paying attention frequently.

And I get the point of the book and that not everything has an answer... but this just left me frustrated more than anything. At times, it was hard to keep going because the story was pretty much st
Kandice
Aug 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I re-read this because I have recently started watching "Haven" on Netflix. Haven is based, not on this book, but the place and characters IN the book. I love the show. The best part is how the writers and set decorators insert small references to King's work throughout the years. Sometimes a small nugget of story from one of his novels is told, a scene plays on the screen right off his pages, Paul Sheldon and the Misery series are mentioned when a birthday gift is one of his books. The list goe ...more
Caroline
***NO SPOILERS***

(Full disclosure: book abandoned at page 66 [out of 184 pages].)

Although I appreciate Stephen King’s effort to write in a totally different style as part of the “Hard Case Crime” series, that’s one of the major problems with this book. This isn’t really a Stephen King book, by which I mean, all that has earned King legions of fans over the decades, all that’s distinctly King, isn’t here. I didn’t need to read past page 66 to know that. I sincerely hope readers new to King don’t
Jamie Stewart
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a reread for me having read a digital version years before. When I rate stories I usually do so with only the authors previous work in mind, and with knowing what type of novel the writer set out to create. The Colorado Kid is supposed to be a mystery that goes against the mystery formula, it’s supposed to be about the frustration of an unsolved thing, and it achieves this to great affect. Grounded, by the three central characters it as a enjoyable read to be read in one sitting.
Ivy_Lost_inside_Pages
Feb 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Did read this some years back and reminder, it was a weirdo story but I did like it. And now where I found out, I can watch the rest of the HAVEN series finally, this book was back in my mind. Really did like the series too.
Olivier Delaye
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it
A nice little story that’s more about the characters (and their lingo) than the mystery itself. Just don’t read it expecting a payoff or a satisfactory conclusion, because you won’t get any...
Johann (jobis89)
Oct 05, 2016 rated it liked it
"Sooner or later, everything old is new again."

This was an unusual book, definitely not King's usual style. I did enjoy it, but ultimately was left feeling unfulfilled. And I get the point of the book and that not everything has an answer... but this just left me frustrated more than anything.

The characters were great, as were the interactions between them...and the story of the Colorado Kid itself was intriguing. So there were definitely positives to the book! I'm just a bit meh about it all...
Gary
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have recently started reading more Stephen Kings books and prefer the non horrors so was advised to try 'The Colorado Kid'. I really enjoy the writing of Stephen King and he appears to be able to redefine the genre boundaries.
The story surrounds a case of an unidentified man found on a tiny island off the coast of Maine. There are no obvious pointers to his death or identity and more than a year later he is eventually identified but everything else remains unanswered. The story is told by two
Wayne Barrett
a Hardcase Crime novel,
The answer to the mystery is that not every mystery has an answer.
Well written with a nice flow and likable characters but there wasn't much in the way of entertainment here. I was into the suspense, looking for the resolution, even though we were warned there would be none, and when the end finally arrived...yes, I got it. Still, I could have used a little more meat and potatoes, even though it was only one mouthful that done in our victim...or was it?
Toby
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
“Well then, I'm going to tell you a secret almost every newspaper man and woman who's been at it awhile knows: in real life, the number of actual stories - those with beginnings, middles, and ends - are slim and none. But if you can give your readers just one unknown thing (two at the very outside) and then kick in what Dave Bowie there calls a musta-been, your reader will tell himself a story.”

Stephen King, the seemingly natural born storyteller, offered this little mystery tale up via the pul
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

The Colorado Kid was first published in the US in 2005 and has been out of print for a decade. It was never released in the UK…until now.

You can see the love and the care have gone into creating the book and included within there is an introduction by Charles Ardai, one of the co-founders of Hard Case Crime. The book itself is an illustrated edition, featuring artwork from a plethor
Alexandra
Just a few thoughts here about this book...first I listened to the audio version. It was well done and the narrator did a good job. I haven't checked how many pages the text version is, but at just over 3 1/2 hours for the audio version I consider this a short story. So I consider the Audible $21.27 "regular" price and $14.89 member price to be seriously overpriced.

The cover pic has absolutely zero to do with the story and implies (to me) a story of a certain flavor and genre which this story do
David
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even average Stephen King is worth reading. I'd call The Colorado Kid, a short novel (almost a novella) a notch above average, maybe 3.5 stars.

It's not really a "hard-boiled" mystery, though, and I don't know why it's labeled as such. That sultry dame on the cover is pretty misleading; the story is actually an unsolved murder being related to a young reporter working on a small tourist island newspaper in Maine by two old-timers who've been living there and reporting for the paper since forever.
Jim
Sep 27, 2009 rated it did not like it
200 or so pages should have been under 50. The idea, that life doesn't have the pat answers of a story, is OK. The 3 characters are OK, but he took way too many words to say it. Typical & why I quit reading him years ago.

His repetitive, bland descriptions do not dig me deeper into the world he is painting, they just bore me to tears. I was hoping for something different, more like his old style, out of a book by this publisher. Didn't get it.

If you haven't read it, don't bother. It's a waste of
Eleni Ouzouni (Life is Art)
Only 184 pages and for seven days I am trying to finish this book. So Boring!
To imagine the tv series is definitely much better...
Jessica Westwood
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I liked it.
It was a mystery that remains a mystery.
It was nothing more and nothing less then what the story set out to be. It's a way that King is able to show that not everything in real life has answers and not all loose ends get tied up.
I mean, this is pretty much more accurate to how life turns out isn't it?

It was a perfect little, quick read, which is just what I wanted. It was something different to enjoy.
If you go into this with a great novel expectation I imagine you will not enjoy i
SAM
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stephen-king, 2019
Like the other Stephen King 'short' releases this was just ok. Worth reading because it's the main man but not spectacular.
Nick Iuppa
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid of about seven or eight, there was a question my sister and I started asking each other every Christmastime. It’s probably not the question you’re thinking of, but it’s a common one and the answer also happens to explain the mystery of the Colorado Kid.

The question is simply this. “What’s better Christmas or Christmas Eve?” For me the answer was always easy… Christmas Eve. My guess is that it’s Stephen King’s answer too. In his Afterward to the Hard Case Crime Novel, he almost
Abbie | ab_reads
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Jessica
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In a Maine tourist town a man has been found dead on the beach. There is no identification and the death itself seems accidental at first glance. Two local newspapermen believe there is more to this story and how this unknown man ended up in their town. With the help of a forensics graduate student they start to uncover clues that ultimately lead to an identification more than a year after the body’s discovery. The more they learn about the man, the more convoluted the story becomes. It feels al ...more
Marc-Antoine
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

King himself said that there will be no middle ground for this book. People will either hate it or love it. Well, M. King, put me in the love camp. I guess you can have a story without a throughline , it makes for a true mystery and it definitely worked for me.
Dennis D.
Feb 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
solution to the mystery? 13 748 Mar 02, 2020 10:04AM
The Colorado Kid and Haven 5 28 Jan 03, 2016 06:08PM
Stephen King Fans: Haven 110 453 Dec 20, 2015 12:36AM
"Mystery Lights Over Hancock" article 2 15 Dec 14, 2015 02:47AM
Need - The Colorado Kid 4 26 Oct 21, 2015 06:05PM
2015 Reading Chal...: The Colorado Kid By Stephen King 2 14 Mar 31, 2015 05:53AM

• Blaze
  • Gwendy's Magic Feather (The Button Box, #2)
  • Roadwork
  • The Body
  • The Running Man
  • Grifter's Game
  • Thinner
  • Are Snakes Necessary? (Hard Case Crime)
  • Enough
  • Relatos de horror
  • Now You See It . . .
  • Blood Sugar
  • Blood on the Mink (Hard Case Crime #106)