fiction files redux discussion

Group Reads > Suggestions for group reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 171 (171 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Maureen (modusa) | 683 comments Mod
add suggestions of books that we can read together in the future here. we can make polls out of the suggestions! :)

message 2: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Brian (banoo) | 346 comments Mod
how about that 100 years of solitude book? seems a lot of us have it but the bindings haven't been cracked.

i'm also thinking about the code of the woosters by wodehouse.

message 3: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
if liehtzu and hugh show up, i'm hoping that one of these days they'll actually read A Frolic of His Own with me. i don't know if anyone else would be interested.

message 4: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Shel (shelbybower) | 946 comments Mod
I'm up for 100 Years and A Frolic of His Own looks pretty good. The blurb says "dense and imposing" so yeah, sounds like fun.

Does anyone know when David Foster Wallace's new/posthumous one comes out? I believe it's quite a bit shorter than Infinite Jest... an excerpt of it was published in this week's New Yorker. I've only read Consider the Lobster.

message 5: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Is anyone else a Joyce Carol Oates fan? If anyone feels like picking up one of her many works I'm up for it. I have We Were the Mulvaneys cracked right now.

(I really need to narrow the current list down to 10. Instead of finishing books I keep adding them!)

Also, Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood is a quick read...

We Were the Mulvaneys
Oryx and Crake

message 6: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 641 comments Mod
Shelby wrote: "I'm up for 100 Years and A Frolic of His Own looks pretty good. The blurb says "dense and imposing" so yeah, sounds like fun.

Does anyone know when David Foster Wallace's new/posthumous one comes ..."

I believe it comes out in 2010. I really need to get on with reading infinite jest...

message 7: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
dan, i know it looks big and scary, and it's heavy, too. but seriously, putting it off is like putting of eating fresh chocolate cake or putting off going to the carnival. it is incredibly fun and delicious. why wait?

message 8: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 641 comments Mod
ok, then on your words i will read it after i finish the two i am currently reading. if it is anything like fresh chocolate cake and carnivals i am really missing out. Especially since i have read most everything else of his!

message 9: by Micha (new)

Micha (selective_narcoleptic) | 92 comments Brian wrote: "how about that 100 years of solitude book? seems a lot of us have it but the bindings haven't been cracked.

i'm also thinking about the code of the woosters by wodehouse."

LOL! I just got Woosters out of the library - did you read my mind again, Brian?? ^___^ Also like the idea of One Hundred Years..

message 10: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

Hey, I just picked up that Wodehouse at a used bookstore about a month ago. It is precariously perched on my nightstand, with the other books in my to-read bunch...

message 11: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

message 12: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 08, 2009 10:27PM) (new)

message 13: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Ben wrote: "Drood A Novel!"

This book almost followed me home yesterday but it didn't have wheels. Plus, I thought reading Dickens' book first would be a better way to approach it and I couldn't find his book even though I whistled and called all over the store.

message 14: by Patrick, photographic eye (new)

Patrick | 133 comments Mod
i have no business really adding suggestions considering i have yet to dive in on any of the group reads. but i am a faithful/passionate lurker. anyway. here are some i've had either lingering around in my possession or some i've been thinking about for a long time but haven't gotten to yet...

Independent People

(but just saw ben's review... so this is probably out)

Sentimental Education
Look at Me
Magnetic Field
Erasure
Her Smoke Rose Up Forever

message 15: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Slowrabbit wrote: "i have no business really adding suggestions considering i have yet to dive in on any of the group reads. but i am a faithful/passionate lurker. anyway. here are some i've had either lingering ..."

patrick, you are a silly rabbit in addition to being a slow one. :) you are a member of this group, and unless you're saying that if we did read one of these you wouldn't actually say anything, and even then, i think you have the right to make suggestions. i'm just the type that'd want to spank you for that.

message 16: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

You know, Mo, you seem to be really into spanking.

Do you have someone to give you birthday spankings?

message 17: by Ben, uneasy in a position of power; a yorkshire pudding (new)

Ben Loory | 241 comments Mod
Brian wrote: I thought reading Dickens' book first would be a better way to approach it and I couldn't find his book even though I whistled and called all over the store.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/564

:)

message 18: by Abi (new)

Abi Slowrabbit wrote: "Independent People

(but just saw ben's review... so this is probably out)"

Yes! Definitely read this! If anyone does I for one would be delighted to discuss it. Or any other Laxness; his more magical realist ones are shorter and probably easier reads if time is of the essence.

Books that I will be reading whether I like it or not in the coming months:

Women in Love by D H Lawrence
Passage to India by E M Forster
Vile Bodies by Evelyn Waugh
Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

message 19: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Abi wrote: "Slowrabbit wrote: "Independent People

(but just saw ben's review... so this is probably out)"

Yes! Definitely read this! If anyone does I for one would be delighted to discuss it. Or any othe..."

Let me know when you pick up the joyce. it's been on my shelf untouched for too long.

and i'm up for more laxness... if i can find any around this stupid place i live.

message 20: by Micha (new)

Micha (selective_narcoleptic) | 92 comments My current read is Code of the Wooster's. Anyone want to join me for that?

message 21: by Brian, just a child's imagination (new)

Micha wrote: " My current read is Code of the Wooster's. Anyone want to join me for that?"

damn... i'm in the middle of reading about bengali boogie men, well actually bengali boogie women. and i really need to get back to my buru quartet. can you tell me how it's going? like does it grab you quickly at the beginning because if it does i might let it grab me. it's sitting near my bed right now.

message 22: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Lauren Soderberg | 80 comments Mod
Why don't we do one by a female author (I seem to remember some jibjabbing about that back at the myspace pad)?

I know we mentioned Pearl S. Buck and the Good Earth before...

message 23: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (new)

That was me. My mom made me read it when I was 9 because she was taking a class in Chinese economics... I can remember her telling me that economics ran the world and then trying to explain macro vs. micro economics to me... it's family lore at this point.

I have heard the criticism of Buck (simplistic, outsider views of Chinese culture), but I dunno, but I still think she's worth considering. When I re-read it in college it seemed like a fable to me, almost a King Lear kind of thing at the end, rather than an explanation of a culture far too complex to "sum up" in one novel.

My only issue with it now is that it was in Oprah's book club. That always upsets me even though it shouldn't.

message 24: by Esther (new)

Esther | 83 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Why don't we do one by a female author (I seem to remember some jibjabbing about that back at the myspace pad)?

I know we mentioned Pearl S. Buck and the Good Earth before..."

You know, I feel awful that I don't have any to suggest even after taking a Women Writers class just last semester. Of course, we read a lot of short fiction, some novellas...didn't get into anything too big...

yeah...that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

message 25: by Michael, the Olddad (new)

Michael (olddad) | 255 comments Mod
Lauren wrote: "Why don't we do one by a female author (I seem to remember some jibjabbing about that back at the myspace pad)?

Actually reading this right now! It's been on my to-read list for 40 years and one of the kids was reading it and left it out. So much for to-read lists.

mm

message 26: by Audra (new)

Audra (audrafreeagain) | 31 comments Lauren wrote: "Why don't we do one by a female author (I seem to remember some jibjabbing about that back at the myspace pad)?

What about something by Shirley Jackson??? I thought The Lottery was pretty cool.

message 27: by Shel, ad astra per aspera (last edited Mar 14, 2009 12:04PM) (new)

What about something by Shirley Jackson??? I thought The Lottery was pretty cool."

Already in the group reading list in the short story thread... join us! Starts Monday. :-)

message 28: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

Christopher Swann (christopherswann) | 189 comments Mod
Anytime anybody wants to read "The Big Sleep" or "Farewell, My Lovely" by Chandler, let me know...and I'm always up for some Garcia Marquez, although it seems like "100 Years" has dropped off the list...

message 29: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Chris wrote: "Anytime anybody wants to read "The Big Sleep" or "Farewell, My Lovely" by Chandler, let me know...and I'm always up for some Garcia Marquez, although it seems like "100 Years" has dropped off the l..."

hey swanny: i could do some revisiting of chandler -- do you have a timeline at all? or can we approach it leisurely in the next month or so... ?

message 30: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

Hey, bacon girl...I'm going to start teaching Chandler next week, but leisurely is good. I've decided to teach the course again next year. Which is an easy decision since the department chair signs off on who teaches what and, well, I'm the department chair. Maybe I could bring some fresh insights from my students--they often surprise me by what they see. Or don't see.

message 31: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

Jeez Swanny, I wish I had had you as an AP teacher. My teacher had us read four books of our choice out of a reading list and we never discussed them. The rest of the time she told us stories of her youth in Hawaii, her love of Star Trek, and how much of a tomboy she was and had us write two page papers with subjects like art, tolerance, culture and family. One of the easiest classes I've ever taken, and it was AP

message 32: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

That's a crying shame, Lauren. But I thought you had some cranky old guy with white hair that stood up on his head. Or was that your junior year?

And what's wrong with Star Trek, I'd like to know? :)

To clarify, it's not my AP kids who are reading Chandler...it's my college-prep (regular) students. Though maybe I should consider teaching Chandler to my AP class. Hmm...

message 33: by Lauren, Cream Cheese Angel (new)

I took AP my junior year. I had Mr. Pollock (cranky old guy) my senior year.

message 34: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
can we chose now? i'm going to finish Life: A user's manual soon, and I want to know what we are going to read. I made a poll, it's at the bottom of the group page. I think I captured everything that was listed here, but let me know if I missed something.

message 35: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
oh and if you need more info about the titles, their little pictures are at the bottom of the poll, and if you click on them you'll go to the book's page.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

A couple of people have asked if it is too late to add titles to the poll list. I think so. But they should put any new suggestions in this thread for the next one. In the name of Democracy the list is closed. So as you add books to your to-read shelve pop them in here for the next poll. Oh and I am not in charge here so feel free to moderate me.

message 37: by Dan, deadpan man (new)

Dan | 641 comments Mod
I agree with Margaret that the polls be considered closed for this round. I mean 29 titles is certainly a large enough pool to pick form.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

But don't be afraid to make suggestions for the next read.

message 39: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
ok, i've eliminated the noncontenders, and reset the poll for the next group read. even if you voted before, you'll have to vote again. i set the end date for April 5.

message 40: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (new)

Patty wrote: "ok, i've eliminated the noncontenders, and reset the poll for the next group read. even if you voted before, you'll have to vote again. i set the end date for April 5. "

hey patty: will you invite us to the poll? i'm curious to see what happens. when i did it for the previous poll nobody could tell me whether they received an invitation or not. :)

message 41: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Maureen wrote: "hey patty: will you invite us to the poll? i'm curious to see what happens."

done! let us know what happens!

message 42: by Maureen, mo-nemclature (last edited Mar 30, 2009 12:10PM) (new)

Patty wrote: "Maureen wrote: "hey patty: will you invite us to the poll? i'm curious to see what happens."

done! let us know what happens! "

i got an email! well it turns out you don't get an email in your goodreads inbox, you get one sent to your regular email address. mine is headed "Patty invited you to answer a poll". So I'm guessing those of us who didn't see the poll invites last time were receiving them in their junk mail folders. but happily, this functionality works, which i'm glad to know about. it may be that margaret's suggestion to use the broadcast message to group option might be better if we find that people don't actually look at their goodreads notifications but do check their goodreads inboxes.. :)

thanks for trying it out patty. :)

message 43: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
Tommorrow is the last day of the poll. We currently have a tie. If you haven't voted, or want to change your vote, go do it!

message 44: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
OK, we have a tie. Wittgenstein's Mistress and The Big Sleep. Shall we read them simultaneously? Or Should we do the Big Sleep first and W's M after?

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

There should be a recount over an extended period of time. Eventually the matter will have to be sent to the Supreme Court.

Let's give democracy a chance.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

I vote for whichever one is available online in large enough print for me to see.

Screw Republican Democracy (In)action.

message 47: by Alex (new)

Alex | 11 comments Simultaneous is fine. I'd rather avoid another vote on the order.

message 48: by Patty, free birdeaucrat (new)

Patty | 896 comments Mod
I put both books up as our current reads. I didn't put end dates, because I have no idea how long we want to read them.

Also, I think Swanny was going to lead the Big Sleep read, is that true? And did/will anyone volunteer to lead Wittgenstein's Mistress?

message 49: by Christopher, Swanny (new)

I'm happy to lead a discussion on The Big Sleep...should we set a date for everyone who wants in to have finished the book?

message 50: by Michael, the Olddad (last edited Apr 07, 2009 04:06AM) (new)

Michael (olddad) | 255 comments Mod
Patty wrote: "I put both books up as our current reads. I didn't put end dates, because I have no idea how long we want to read them.

Also, I think Swanny was going to lead the Big Sleep read, is that true? And did/will anyone volunteer to lead Wittgenstein's Mistress? "

I've still got to purchase WM, let alone begin reading it. I have just set up a week the first week in June to go out to Taos (sans famille) for a retreat; should get some nice reading in there between hiking in the mountains. Sometime thereafter I should be able to moderate a WM thread if still desired. I mean if the book is worth it. Confession: I voted for it on title alone. ;p

« previous 1 3 4