Jean Rexroat
Jean Rexroat asked:

To answer questions about The Nightingale, please sign up.
Michelle Currie I didn't even question how or why they got to Oregon because the book is about two sisters and how each of them took different ways to survive the horrors of war. We can guess and guess but I didn't care how they ended up there. I cared that they were strong, value driven, brave women and we need to have more characters like them come alive to inspire us.
Andy Lucas
Moira
Connie I wondered the same thing. The family was so deeply rooted in their Country I really do feel they would not have left.
Norman Good question! There are so many references to how rooted Viane feels in her home, community, and country that it seems highly implausible they'd pack up and leave. And Antoine...after all the suffering through those years of war and imprisonment, wouldn't he also want to stay and build the life they'd almost missed out on together? And very little mention is made of his family members, but it seems unlikely he'd want to leave them to go off to America. The house is intact, the property is well-located, large enough for the gardens that are so important to their family's survival (including the post-war period), and after so much loss of human life the community needs to re-build.
Lisa
Jamie Davis This is the big unanswered question of the book for me too. One of the first men that Isabel took over the Pyrenees was an American from Bend, OR. I expected that to be tied into how Vianne was eventually living there. Sure want to know how they decided to live in Oregon. And I also want to know if Sophie had children.
Jason
Anne After their home was destroyed and nothing was left, many families opted to leave their destroyed homeland for the economic boom in America.
Kelly Valencia
Penny
Sue Hurel I agree with the misdirect on the Oregonian soldier. When a book is so reliant on plot, it had better tie up all loose ends.
Marsha Burris Yes, I was wondering the very same thing. I re-read the beginning of the book to see if there was a reference to the move to Oregon and could not find one. I look forward to the answer.
Alisha Mallette
Hafsa Alamgir She still stayed married to Antoine. They all moved to Oregon.
She had gotten raped in that house,
she lost her sister from the mistreatment of concentration camps.
Also, the memory of the Germany soldier dying. There were too many painful memories not to mention Antoine's trauma from the war.
I'm guessing they never told Julien that he was born due to rape. Maybe Antoin did suspect but he was also traumatized from the war and he probably heard about the horrible things some soldiers did
Teri North I simply enjoyed this fictional account of what a situation might have been. Best book I read in 2017. I have engaged at least 6 other men and women to read it and they all loved his book! Just a great read.
Kathy
Kiki This was the question that I had also and I would have liked it all tied together. I am glad she ended up well and truly loved the story.
Anna
Dianne
Julie P.
Anne Campbell
Image for The Nightingale
by Kristin Hannah (Goodreads Author)