9 Tips for Squeezing More Reading Time Out of Your DayPosted by Hayley on December 16, 2016
Don't let Your Year in Books end with a whimper. It's not too late to say goodbye to 2016 the right way: with a pile of books (and probably a hot beverage). In an effort to read more and, for some of us, to complete our 2016 Reading Challenge, we turned to—who else?—our wonderful Goodreads community.
We asked on Facebook and Twitter: What are some tips for reading more? See what could work for you…and then get back to your books!
1. "Cut off all outside distractions. If your phone dies, let it die. Don't plug anything in until you're finished with your book. And get cozy. Make yourself a hot tea or hot chocolate and throw on some flannel pajamas." (Lacie)
2. "Stack the deck in your favor! Have a bunch of short books you've been meaning to get to? Put them on the top of your list." (Melinda) *See 25 of our favorite books under 200 pages.*
3. "Listen to audiobooks every second you can't actually be reading. Commuting, cleaning, and laundry would be wasted time without the ability to listen to a good book." (Denise) *See 20 of our favorite audiobooks for every type of reader.*
4. "Get up early to read for at least an hour and then read for at least an hour at night." (Rae)
5. "Call in sick for a 'me day.'" (Jainell)
6. "Find sneaky ways to read more at unexpected times. I read when I'm blow drying my hair!" (Joanna)
7. "Always have a book with you. If you're waiting in a long line at the supermarket, whip it out!" (Grace)
8. "Start reading a book or comic book series with 5+ books. You'll get hooked and won't want to stop reading." (Sally) *See 24 of our favorite addictive series for teens.*
9. "Mix up genres and book lengths. Never get bored!" (Mark)
And for those who are really serious about reading more, there's this tip from Justine:
"Quit your job and send the husband and kids out of town. Recruit some cats, stockpile tea, and get to it!"
Do you have a secret reading tip? Share it with us in the comments!
(Top image credit: Doctor Who)
Comments (showing 1-50 of 157) (157 new)
back to top