Study Buddies discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > It's Contest(s) Time!!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 330 (330 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Alethea (last edited Feb 11, 2009 10:51PM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
I'm happy to announce two new contests! Yep, count 'em, two, two!!

- - - *ahem* - - -

WINNERS! for Extra Credit 2

Each will receive a signed Storm Glass ARC

1st Place: Gisela with 118 points
2nd Place: Rachel (GRuser 1561940)) with 81 points
3rd Place: Mindy and Lady Ozma tied at 74 points

Epic Level: And because these crazy gals really really seemed to want it bad, Kristen and Meme who blew everyone else out of the water with over 300 points each (so many points that I quit counting round about there) will receive hand-me-down ARCs of Storm Glass (they've been read by me and a couple of other gals at work, but they're in great condition and they'll be personalized and signed for you by Maria!)

Sorry for the delay, but I had to make sure I had enough prizes for the tied winners, and the Epic-Level Posters, and Maria was gracious as always in volunteering another copy.

Congratulations, keep on posting, and winners please message me with your full name and address! Your ARCs will arrive in a week or two! We can't wait to hear what you think of the book!

- - - *woohoo!* - - -

Hi everybody! Extra Credit 2 closed at midnight, remember you can still win more books through the T-Shirt Contest!

I have to count up all the points and then announce the winners... soon!

Have fun and keep posting!

The first contest is similar to the original posting party we used as an ice-breaker when the group began last year, with a few changes.

Contest 1:

Here are The Rules for Extra Credit: Round 2!
The contest runs from 12 a.m. on Sunday, February 1 through 12 a.m. on Sunday, February 8, 2009. (All times are Pacific Standard, because I'm in Los Angeles. I know, weird span, but this makes it convenient for me as the sole point-tally-person.)

1) You get 1 point for each post on the Study Buddies GoodReads group (henceforth, SB)
1 point for creating a poll on SB
1 point for voting on a poll on SB
1 point for commenting on a poll on SB
Please refrain from blank, meaningless or duplicate posting--you guys were really good at avoiding this last time!

2) You get 1 point for each friend you get to join Study Buddies--I'll need a message sent through GoodReads from both you and the friend(s) confirming that you brought them in! And I would hope that your friend a) has already read the books, b) plans to if they haven't, or c) at least likes sci-fi/fantasy, which is what we tend to go on about around here.

3) You get 1 point each for reading our Monthly Reading Group picks: The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale or The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold. You don't have to have read them within the contest time, just message me that you read one or the other or both and I will add points to your tally.

4) You get 1 point for creatively promoting the Study books, Maria V. Snyder, and/or Storm Glass... but you've got to let me know. I don't always notice especially now that I am usually off in the world actually reading instead of staring at GoodReads all day.

5) You get points for making your own Criollo (as close to the book description + your personal interpretation as you wish), and sending me photos of you in the process of making it and/or you, your friends, and your family consuming it. For being so brave (because, believe me, the photos will be shared ^_^ with the rest of the Study Buddies) and industrious (as in, don't just put a dollar in the vending machine and call a Twix bar your interpretation of Criollo), you get 5, yes! Five whole points for completing this challenge!

Wait, I didn't even tell you what you'd win, yet.

The top three Study Buddies who rack up the most points during the contest period will each win an advance reader copy of Storm Glass.

Storm Glass (Glass, Book 1) by Maria V. Snyder

!!!

* Normal Code of Behavior applies--see New Members post.

* Play fair! A post/comment which is blank or is otherwise meaningless will not be counted.

* Posts/polls/votes/comments from outside of the stated times will not be counted. Tally will be determined by the goodreads.com timestamps, and posts/votes/comments by members prior to the event will be noted and excluded from the contest points.

* No anonymous polls (yeah, you can do that now, but if you make the poll anonymous I can't give points to anyone who votes).

* Everyone can play, but 3 people can't win! That's me, Jane, and Lexie -- we already got ours, anyway ;-)

- - -

Contest 2:

Here are The Details for the "My Buddy Went to Sitia and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt" T-Shirt Contest.

Design an original Study Series or Glass Series themed T-shirt!

Two winners will each receive a signed pair of the Young Adult editions of Poison Study and Magic Study.

Poison Study (Study, Book 1) by Maria V. Snyder Magic Study (Study, Book 2) by Maria V. Snyder

One winner will be determined by popular vote, and the other will be Maria's choice. So make those shirts really rock!

The deadline for entries is February 28. Each individual contestant may enter up to 3 designs. You must submit at least 1 photo (jpg preferred) of your original T-shirt design to be included in the poll. Message Alethea when you are ready to turn in your T-shirt photo(s).

Voting starts March 2nd and ends March 9th.

Be creative as you like! But plagiarism will land you in the dungeon (and we hear it's nasty there).

We would like to arrange for some of the designs to be reproduced for fans, so please be aware of that if you enter in a design. While we cannot promise monetary compensation the artist will retain the rights to the artwork, and we at Study Buddies agree not to profit from the sale of any t-shirts. (If any profit does result, it will go to a charity to be chosen by vote of the Study Buddies.)

- - - *ok?* - - -

Any questions or clarifications, please post on this topic and I'll get back to you.

Have fun, everyone!

message 2: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Woot! A duel contest! I don't know that I'll have time to do the t-shirt one (even though that sounds fun!), but I'll definitely be trying to post more and maybe even try my own version of Crillo (although yours was awfully tasty!).

message 3: by Min (new)

Min (minbuchanan) | 159 comments Does it count if we've already gotten friends to join SB, or is this new friends between the contest period?

message 4: by Alethea (new)

New friends during the contest period will count! Sorry, no retroactive points unless it's for reading Goose Girl/Curse of Chalion.

message 5: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments Sounds like a lot of fun! I'm not sure if I have any ideas... so my chances are probably pretty low, but I'm totally going to be watching the boards for this...

BTW I am on the east coast if you ever need an eastie helper. :)

My question: Are we going to have the ability to buy tshirts? Cause I would so love to have a tshirt when I go to Balticon and see Maria again! Get her to sign it... that would be cool!

message 6: by Alethea (new)

Lady Ozma wrote: "My question: Are we going to have the ability to buy tshirts? Cause I would so love to have a tshirt when I go to Balticon and see Maria again! Get her to sign it... that would be cool!"

Yup! I need to amend the rules for the shirt contest to say that we plan to reproduce the t-shirts. I would like to do it in a not-for-profit fashion so we're not stepping on anyone's toes copyright-wise, author and artist alike.

message 7: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments You should offer to make them available for Maria to sell with her books. I bet she'd totally dig that. I'm working on a book and i am wanting to make myself a "I <3 Juan" tshirt. HEHE I'd go for it, but I like swag. I have a Queen Betsy toothbrush, too. Yeah, I've got SUCKER written all over me! :)

I think you have a good idea. :) Talk about a fun contest!

message 8: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments OH I am so ready for this contest and this book I love Maria's books and I don't believe I will be able to beat your Criollo, for 1 I'm not a big cook and for another I don't think my kids will let me get it out of the bowl lol. As for the T shirts I am so going to get one, I hope LOL

message 9: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelle_blum) | 8 comments Well, I'm up to the challenge. I'm excited about the T-shirt contest. I already have a couple ideas!

message 10: by Liz (new)

Liz (jedimindreader) | 27 comments yay!!!

message 11: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly | 37 comments Well I want a book, but I'm rarely on Goodreads anymore, oh well, here's to trying!

message 12: by Alethea (last edited Jan 29, 2009 11:32PM) (new)

Someone asked me, Do you have to be on the whole day? or get on when you can through out day? If someone wins, is there a cost, for bk or shipping?

My answer:
No, you don't have to be on all day. The object of the "game" (other than to win a book!) is to have members interacting who normally would be too shy or disinterested to converse on the discussion boards. So you can check as little or as often as you want, the point is to read and post a lot!

Maria foots the bill for the winner's book to be shipped. The promo copies are coming straight from Maria so they will also be personalized and signed!

message 13: by Tatevik (new)

Tatevik (tateviktonks) | 4 comments This is awesome! I'm definitely excited about the t-shirts.

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 38 comments Oh - I am so excited about the book - but I know I can't do all of that - I don't have a lot of friends who are active on the site - oh well - I hope whomever reads it tells us it's worth the wait! :) I'm sure it will be! Maybe I can come up with a shirt - but I can draw - I do not really know to manipulate the computer - can I scan it in and send it?

Jen

message 15: by Harlequin (new)

Harlequin Historical (historical) | 5 comments Very interesting contest. I would love to win a copy but I'm sure I won't. LOL And, you don't want to tempt me to get in the kitchen and try to create something edible, specially baking! My daughter (10 yo.) knows not to let me cook. It is an ongoing joke that when I am cooking, no need to watch the timer, the smoke alarm will tell everyone that dinner is done.

message 16: by Alethea (new)

Jen wrote: "Maybe I can come up with a shirt - but I can draw - I do not really know to manipulate the computer - can I scan it in and send it?"

You can scan it in if you like, that's fine!

message 17: by Alethea (new)

Harlequin wrote: "It is an ongoing joke that when I am cooking, no need to watch the timer, the smoke alarm will tell everyone that dinner is done."

LOL! That's my mom, too. Secretly we'd hope she'd burn it so we could order takeout.

message 18: by missART (new)

missART | 71 comments This sounds so exciting! I love contests! I will do my best and I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with! :)

Can you elaborate what you mean by plagiarism or infringement of rights with the t-shirts?

message 19: by Julie's WILD (new)

Julie's WILD | 7 comments I'm Excited to give this a try. wooo!!

message 20: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments Good luck everyone, let's have fun!

message 21: by Liz (new)

Liz | 25 comments I love the contests because more people comment (including me) and we get some good conversations going on.

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments Yay! Sounds super exciting! Thanks for setting this up! :)

message 23: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments For the T-shirt contest. Do we have to make the actual t-shirt? Or can we just come up with a design?

message 24: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments Hmm...that's a good question. I don't know.

message 25: by missART (new)

missART | 71 comments I'm going to wager a guess you only need to create the design. :) Perhaps show it diagramed where it would go on the shirt?

message 26: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I guess that would make sense. I still wonder if I'll have time to be creative and make one. Are you artistic Alli?

message 27: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 123 comments Mod
Kristen wrote: "For the T-shirt contest. Do we have to make the actual t-shirt? Or can we just come up with a design?"

It would be great if you can put the design on a T-shirt shaped background. It'll be easier to see where the placement of the designs are.

message 28: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Alright, will do! I mean.. if I have time, which I wanna have time.. but we'll see.

message 29: by missART (new)

missART | 71 comments Kristen wrote: Are you artistic Alli?

Yes I am! :) I love to draw and design!

message 30: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments That's great! I haven't drawn anything in FOREVER. The t-shirt contest runs longer, so hopefully I'll have time to get something creative flowing again.

message 31: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Kristen wrote: "That's great! I haven't drawn anything in FOREVER. The t-shirt contest runs longer, so hopefully I'll have time to get something creative flowing again."

ummm Kristen do you think you could draw one for me? LOL my artistic talents are about at a preschool level. JJ anyway I would serious love to see all the shirts and be able to purchase one if its at all possible

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Hahaha. I don't think I'm good enough to try two. As it is, I'll be throwing a lot of time into what I can. I was getting better in high school and then stopped drawing completely in college. It will be cool to see what everyone comes up with and maybe be able to purchase one eventually.

message 33: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments I'm a pre-school level artist too! LOL

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments Well for all you pre-school level folks, you can always try computer stuff! I enjoy taking photos and editing them around on the computer
Gisela- I think a wonderful photo of your amazing rainforest will be a great t-shirt idea!

message 35: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments HEY! Don't reveal my secret back up plan Rachel! Shhhhhhhhhh.

message 36: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments I spent all day cooking yesterday. Needed to feed my freezer. ;) Anyway, so now I'm all in kitchen mode. So I've been googling Criollo because... well that part of the contest sounded fun. I mean who doesn't like chocolate, right?

Right?

Yeah. Suck on that, New Years Resolutions!

I must say I'm intrigued with what I'm finding.

No recipes, just interesting facts.

I need to reread MVS's description, but I'm loving this information. Hmmm...

Criollo: Spanish people born in the new world but their bloodlines are pure back to europe.
Criollo: South American horse breed
And the best Criollo: Apparently it is a cultivar of cacao used by the top chocolate makers. It is less bitter and more aromatic. I found it referred to as "Food of the Gods" MMMMM

So that gives me ideas for how I would want to make criollo. But can I get the proper chocolate in time? I want to use this criollo chocolate, of course! I wonder if I can find any here and how much it costs...

OK, anyway, off to go do something infinitely useful. Not crawl back in bed to hide from the snow outside... LOL

message 37: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I cooked up my Crillo yesterday and took some pictures. I think I'll make a pretty display and take some more pics. It turned out pretty good.

message 38: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments Are you posting about it somewhere? I wanna see what you did!!

BTW check this out - it's about the criollo bean/chocolate:

CRIOLLO

What the fine Arabica bean is to coffee, the even finer and rarer Criollo bean is to chocolate. Criollo chocolate has a distinctly reddish colour, and an equally distinctive complex taste which can include flavours of caramel, nuts, vanilla and tobacco. Criollo bars are fairly rare and should definitely be sampled if encountered. That said, the taste might not be everyone's favourite as it differs considerably from that of the more common Trinitario and Forastero varieties, which generally define the taste of dark chocolate as most people know it. These tastes however are fairly recent -- two hundred years ago Criollo was the predominant cocoa bean. The reason for the general scarcity of Criollo cocoa today is the lack of resistance of the Criollo tree towards disease, which is why the more robust Forastero now dominates the world-wide market for cocoa. Today, most Criollo trees are closer to Trinitario than their pure ancestors. The most important Criollos are Ocumare 61 and the well-publicized Chuao, both of which are found in Venezuela. Only very few true Criollo trees remain. Probably the best known of these pure Criollo varieties is Porcelana -- also from Venezuela -- which can be found in a few bars mentioned in this book.

message 39: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments (BTW Can someone tell me what Arabica bean is to coffee? I'm allergic to coffee and even the smell makes me sick. So their little description there? Not so helpful. HAHA)

message 40: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Rachel wrote: "Well for all you pre-school level folks, you can always try computer stuff! I enjoy taking photos and editing them around on the computer
Gisela- I think a wonderful photo of your amazing rainfore..."

LOL thank you so much for that tip I really needed it.

message 41: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments I think I need to ask Alethea to make me more Criollo is was amazing and sadly it didn't last very long LOL, That could be because I didn't actually put it down HEHE

message 42: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Hehe. Mine didn't last either! I think I restrained myself to consuming it in three days, but just barely.

message 43: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments It was very hard to say no to it, do you think we could sweet talk her into more?

message 44: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments Make your own for the contest!!!! That's what I'm thinking about doing!

I've called my mum to get her onboard with chocolate tasting! HEHEHEHEHE Hey, I need lab rats... I mean taste testers!

We're thinking about just getting something like godiva chips (as they are way high quality and not badly priced) to experiment with. :) Cause we're not sure WHERE on earth to find some criollo chocolate locally and with as much as it looks like it might cost to order it off the web... I'm thinking "not for experimenting". LOL

message 45: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments I would love to make my own but even my dogs run when I start to cook LOL

message 46: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments LOL! That's too bad!

Althea said she just used a fudge recipe. Fudge is easy... I bet you could just make some fudge. HAHA

I'm working on something. It's going to probably take me a few days to put together. At the least. If it works out... I'll let you know. I'd be willing to share. :) I go for easy easy easy. I'm not real daring in the kitchen.

message 47: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments ooooo me thinks you may be my new bestest friend HEHE you said you would be willing to share chocolate LOL

message 48: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments I'm always willing to share chocolate! :) I buy loads of it at CVS for next to free. :) Anytime you need a fix I got a closet... Though I'm running low. I gave away a ton at Christmas. I think I only have like 8 bars of chocolate left. LOL

You should live near me. At Christmas I bake up about a zillion different cookies and I deliver plates. :)

message 49: by Min (new)

Min (minbuchanan) | 159 comments Lady Ozma - depending on where you live you should be able to find a fine chocolate shop, or chocolate import shop. They tend to be very small and usually sell sipping chocolate. I live in Portland, OR and maybe it's just the artsy vibe up here, but we have about five of them. I make a lot of chocolate candies and truffles (aka trying to avoid doing homework) and tend to use high quality fine single origin chocolate. I will say however, that the price is something you have to deal with. Good single origin chocolate is never cheap. Criollo is no exception. It's best if the chocolate is in an air tight wrapper or container as well. If the chocolate has what looks like little white spots here and there or is not shiny, don't buy it. It means it's too old and the fat (what little fat there is in dark chocolate) has separated and moves closest to where there is oxygen.

If you ever get a chance, buy some small single origin bars of chocolate at different concentrations (%'s) and do a tasting. Chocolate is like coffee and wine in the flavors you can pick up from where the bean/grape was grown.

Anyway, once you get into chocolate, it's hard to ever go back to Hershey's or the like. I used to have such a hard time going by the candy shelf at a 7-11. Now, it's no big, because I know I've got the good stuff at home. : ) Costs more but you eat a heck of a lot less of it to satisfy a chocolate craving.

message 50: by Jacalyn (new)

Jacalyn | 141 comments I live in a bedroom community, I'm thinking not here. We don't have any chocolate shops. Now if you want antiques or museums, we have TONS of those. But my husband works near Dupont Circle in DC. So if I do a little fancy googling, I'm SURE there's something there in DC he can metro to. :) Just a matter of finding it.

See, I've had fancy chocolate. Yum. But I still like Hershey's as well. :) HAHA I'm a sucker for Lindt. That stuff is mmm mmm good. I got a stack of bars on a great deal at CVS recently.

Sometimes my husband brings me my fave treat from Godiva home since he passes one in Union Station... chocolate covered strawberries. I don't know what it is... but that's mmm mmmm good, too! :)

OK, I'm just a sucker for chocolate. :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.