Read the Movie discussion

General > A List

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:24AM) (new)

Kevin (derhay) | 1 comments Read first then saw the movie:
Nick Hornby's About a Boy - liked both the same
Stan Redding's Catch Me If You Can The True Story of a Real Fake - loved the book and walked out on the movie
Neil Gaiman's Stardust - liked the book, stoked for the film
Chuck Barris's Confessions of a Dangerous Mind An Unauthorized Autobiography - I liked the book much more
David Benioff's The 25th Hour - loved the book and HATED the movie. The screenplay was written by Benioff, but he changed one major item of knowledge of the main character that completely killed the film for me.

Saw the movie first:
Nick Hornby's High Fidelity - absolutely love both

message 2: by Tonya (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:27AM) (new)

Tonya Beeler | 1 comments Even though I love Nick Hornby, I didn't read the book until after I saw the movie. I tried so hard, but just couldn't make it all the way through. It was so hard to get john c.'s voice out of my head.

message 3: by Maria (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:52AM) (new)

Maria Whats Eating Gilbert Grape is an awesome book AND movie.

message 4: by Kirby (new)

Kirby I just finished The Time Traveler's Wife and found out there is going to be a movie coming out this year. The book was amazing! I can't wait!

message 5: by Sandy (new)

Sandy (lickmylegs) | 1 comments Read the book first, then saw the movie:
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden - loved the book, did not care for the movie.
White Oleander A Novel by Janet Fitch - loved both.
The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides - loved both.
The Invisible Circus by Jennifer Egan - liked the book, hated the movie.
Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - The movie was pretty bad, in my opinion, and although it's not the greatest literature, I did like the books. Precisely because it reminded me of the type of books I used to read as a kid that got me loving reading in the first place.
Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson - both were fairly good, though I read the book years ago, and only saw the movie recently.

Saw the movie first:
Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen - loved both, and though the movie took liberties with the story, I liked the movie better.

I am excited for the Time Traveler's Wife movie to come out, as well as the Lovely Bones. I also have never watched the movie version of one of my favourite books, the Unbearable Lightness of Being, as I had no idea it was a movie until recently, but I am planning on watching it as soon as possible.

message 6: by Tara (new)

Tara (tbm126) | 1 comments My biggest let-down as far as book-to-movie goes was James Patterson's Along Came a Spider. It was a monstrosity. The plot was not even the same.

I liked the Twilight book when I first read it (even the greatest of us fall), but the movie was atrocious. I had trouble following the movie even though I knew what was supposed to happen.

Second worst book-to-movie of all time is Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling. That was another movie where I cannot understand how people who didn't bother to read the books could possibly understand what is going on.

I enjoyed The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini SO much. It was a fabulous book. The movie was actually good. They included quotes from the book and every major event (with the exception of one huge event, but I was pleased enough with the movie that this exception does not bother me). My only complaint could possibly be that the movie was too fast-paced because they had a time limit, but I think that's a small price to have an acceptable movie.

As you can see, I'm not very tolerant of book-to-movie transitions.

I always try to read the book first. I do believe that the only movies I've seen before I read the books were The Green Mile Book Box Set by Stephen King (fabulous movie, fabulous book, the two were interchangeable and this might be the best book-to-movie) and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (loved the books more than the movies, but I adore the movies as well).

I notice that I tend to only like the movies that I have seen before reading the book. I guess that way I'm not disappointed.

message 7: by Katherine (last edited Dec 31, 2009 11:32AM) (new)

Katherine | 3 comments Movie first:
The Notebook - great movie, horrible book
A Walk to Remember - enjoyed the movie, not so much the book (seems to be a trend with the Nicholas Sparks novels with the exception of The Guardian)
Fried Green Tomatoes - loved both
The Bone Collector - enjoyed the movie, the book was a bit tedious but I still liked it
Runaway Jury - enjoyed the movie, book was okay
I am Legend - not a super great movie, but better than the book
Nanny Diaries - movie sucked, book not great but had more touching moments between the nanny and the little boy in her care
21 - both were good but the movie was better (Book is called, Bringing Down the House)
Bridget Jones Diary - movie was better, did not enjoy the book as bridget seemed way too whiny and into herself

Book first:
Time Traveler's Wife - really like the book, movie was atrocious, it was a montage of random parts of the book that didn't flow together
Angels and Demons - loved the book, movie was good but only b/c I didn't really remember the book all that well since I read it years ago. For diehard fans of the book, the movie deviates quite a bit and so I would recommend watching the movie first or waiting til you forgot the intricacies of the book before watching it
The DaVinci Code - both were okay
The Lovely Bones - loved the book, excited to see the movie
Kiss the Girls - great book, okay movie
My Sister's Keeper - good book, just watched the movie and although it wasn't exactly the same (especially the ending), I still really liked it. I cried throughout most of the movie and I am NOT the crying type
Twilight - I did enjoy this series, fast engaging read, little brainpower required, but the Twilight movie was horrible. New Moon was an improvement but no great work of art
Harry Potter series - books win hands down, but I did enjoy Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Pay it Forward - book was better than movie
Chronicles of Narnia - didn't really enjoy either
Bridge to Terabithia - both were okay
Matilda - loved both
He's Just Not That Into You - book was funny but movie was way beyond expectations
Marley and Me - great book, disappointed with the movie
The Outsiders - both great
Speak - movie with a younger Kristen Stewart. Loved the book, disappointed with the movie

I guess for me, usually whichever one I read/watch first, I tend to like more than the other. Probably because I have an idea of the characters/story in my head and don't like it when it's altered, although I know sometimes it's envitable, especially with the movies.

message 8: by Leslie (new)

Leslie I'll add mine too.

Movie first:
- Riding in Cars with Boys (movie funny, book BORING!)
- Gia (movie decent, book good)
- Brokeback Mountain (movie ok, story ok)
- Atonement (liked movie, book tedious)
- Catch Me if you Can (loved movie, book good too)
- The End of the Affair (liked both)
- Bridget Jones' Diary (really liked movie, book ok -- movie better)
- The Hours (really liked both)
- See Jane Date (cheesy movie, book ok)
- The Love Letter (movie was cute/good, book was pretty good, but I think I liked the movie better)
- The Great Gatsby (movie ok -- saw Robert Redford/Mia Farrow version; didn't like book, even though same as movie)
- Little Children (liked both)
- A Christmas Carol (LOVE movies, book was ok. Want to read again though.)

Book first:
- That was Then, This is Now (Really liked both)
- Flowers in the Attic (loved book, movie awful)
- Valley of the Dolls (loved book, movie ok; liked book's ending better)
- The Devil Wears Prada (loved book, hated movie -- they didn't have to change it)
- Shopgirl (liked book, movie ok)
- The Five People you meet in Heaven (really liked book, movie cheesy)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I try to read the book first then watch the movie but every once in a while I watch the movie first, mostly because I don't know that it was originally based on a book.