Start by marking “Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)” as Want to Read:
Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1)

Along Came a Spider

(Alex Cross #1)

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  364,565 ratings  ·  4,466 reviews
A missing little girl named Maggie Rose . . . a family of three brutally murdered in the projects of Washington, D.C. . . . the thrill-killing of a beautiful elementary school teacher . . . a psychopathic serial kidnapper/murderer who is so terrifying that the FBI, the Secret Service, and the police cannot outsmart him - even after he's been captured.

Gary Soneji wants to c
Published August 1st 2003 by Grand Central Publishing (first published February 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Along Came a Spider, please sign up.
Diana O'Dwyer The book is so much better. The movie does not stay true to the story and though one of my favorite actors, Freeman is not Alex Cross.
Wolfe Tone I read it as a 13 year old, didn't see a problem. Yes it's violent and disturbing, what do you expect from a serial killer thriller?
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonAnd Then There Were None by Agatha ChristieAngels & Demons by Dan BrownRebecca by Daphne du MaurierIn Cold Blood by Truman Capote
Best Crime & Mystery Books
5,611 books — 13,298 voters
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Da Vinci Code by Dan BrownAngels & Demons by Dan BrownThe Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg LarssonThe Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg Larsson
Thrillers
3,176 books — 4,108 voters

More lists with this book...

·  364,565 ratings  ·  4,466 reviews

Ryan Gillespie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: james-patterson
James Patterson. The man writes a book and you read it. It's plain and simple. He knows how to write a mother-fucking story. This wasn't the first book I read but damn. The dude keeps makin' a brother come back for more. It gets even better when you're reading a book about the REAL OG: Alex Cross.

Short attention span? James Patterson's books come automatically equipped with small chapters.

Enjoy reading before bed? Forget about it. You're laying down in bed, right? HAIL NO. This shit has you on t
James Tivendale
Oct 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, detective
I am honestly speechless after reading that. Everything that a thriller should be. I am embarrassed to say that this is the first James Patterson book I have read (excluding his book shot series).

Although I was unfamiliar with his work- I think everyone who likes fiction has heard of Alex Cross.

He was one of many standout characters in this novel. Alex Cross, detective, doctor of psychology, hypnotiser, friends of the poor people when he helps out at a food shelter, respected by the black people
LJ
Aug 25, 2007 rated it did not like it
Sharon
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-read
This is the first book I've read in the Alex Cross series and it won't certainly be the last. James Patterson is a fabulous author as I'm sure many would agree and when it comes to writing a page turner he sure knows how to keep the reader turning the pages at a fast pace.

Along Came A Spider is a book with the lot, mystery, crime, suspense, oh and did I mention it's a cracking thriller. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in this series. If you haven't read this book then do yourself
David - proud Gleeman in Branwen's adventuring party
I have been recommending this book for years. Yes, the movie adaptation was terrible…yes, some of the later Alex Cross entries were somewhat weak (I’m looking at you, “Violets Are Blue”). But the first book of the Alex Cross series is still an amazing read. What really made this book work for me was the antagonist, Gary Soneji. He’s chilling and creepy, yet he’s still utterly fascinating. The game of cat-and-mouse between Alex Cross and Gary Soneji is gripping and exciting.

However, the book is n
Macy_Novels at Night
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Along came a spider popped my James Patterson cherry. I struggle to sway from my usual favorite authors, and I am working on venturing out and getting some new favs. As a writer, I also feel this is the only way to check out other styles and grow by other author's genius. I have never seen the movie to this book, but I felt like I was watching an action movie the whole time. There were parts that bothered me a bit that I feel could have been left out, but I also understand the authors need to mo ...more
Sanjay Gautam
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
It was a few years back that I read Along Came The Spider. I found the plot is predictable just like those typical Hollywood thriller movies. I could not find the book much engrossing, and was rather disappointed by the climax which was a cliched twist, and ruins whatever was, if any, good in the plot before. It was only the psychopathic villain, Gary Soneji, that appealed to me. Whereas Alex Cross, the detective, was very boring. All in all, it was a below average read which I would not recomme ...more
Sue
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
ALONG CAME a SPIDER (Alex Cross, #1) is the classic thriller that launched the Alex Cross series, the #1 detective series of the past twenty-five years! Excellent book. full of action and a ending I never saw coming! This novel is a game of cat-and-mouse between Detective Alex Cross and psychopathic villain,Gary Soneji, and will have you flipping the pages to see what will happen next.
Juli
James Patterson started his best-selling Alex Cross series in 1993 with Along Came a Spider. There are now 25 books in the series. PBS included the Alex Cross mysteries on its list of 100 books and series for The Great American Read. This prompted me to check out an audiobook of the first Alex Cross book and take a listen. Wow....I'm sorry it took me 25 years to try this series. I loved the character and the book!

Alex Cross is a metro detective in Washington, D.C. He's raising his two kids with
Mary Statza
Nov 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
Wow, where do I begin? This book inspired me to write a literary review for English class discussing why a a book like this should NEVER have made it onto the bestsellers list.
IF YOU ENJOYED THIS BOOK OR THE ALEX CROSS SERIES, PLEASE DON'T CONTINUE!!
Some major points include:
* Alex Cross is an incredibly boring, cliché, slightly-racist, unrealistic character
* The italicization of random words without regards to taste or context
* Incredible off-putting love scenes
* Boring, repetitive text,
Edward Lorn
Jul 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder the literary world is polluted with so many shitty writers. They see how well this fucking hack has sold, read his work, and aspire to fucking mediocrity. James Patterson outsells Pulitzer-Prize winning authors, but his writing (I refuse to call this bullshit "prose") is barely one step above motherfucking picture books. He's detrimental to the literate world. Authors and readers alike think this shit is okay. Do you see how many five-star reviews there are on this time sink? Authors a ...more
Janie Johnson
Feb 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a re-read for me from 2 years ago. I had forgotten that I already read it, but either way I am so glad that I am finally to get to the Alex Cross series. I enjoyed this one probably even more than the first time I read it. This is the first book to the series. I have had several of the books for awhile now. I have read plenty by James Patterson and have enjoyed just about all of it, so I expected this book to be just as good, and it really was.

The plot to this one was very fast paced, it
brianna
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad. But not bad in an angry-making way where you want to throw it in a fire, bad in a Nic Cage movie way where it's just so unapologetically terrible that it's both unintentionally hilarious and entertaining in a strangely endearing way. Like, you have to finish it even though you're like "what am I doing with my life right now, I only have a limited time of being alive and yet I can't stop reading this".

If you pay any attention whatsoever to the plot, you will have lots of que
Lynn
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
This book had a very interesting plot and a decent cover.

That's about it. What a major disappointment this was. I guess it goes to show you just how good an actor Morgan Freeman is. Hell, he drove Ms. Daisy around for two hours and made it seem fun, and he made the movie version of this very watchable. Sadly, he was not around to act out the novel for me.

By the way, the cover isn't really that cool, I was just being polite.
Suzanne
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So interesting! I haven't seen the movie so this whole plot and the characters were new to me. I found it very entertaining with some great twists! Now that I am done the Women's Murder Club I am trying to decide between Patterson's other series to read now. Really thinking this is the one I will read first!

My quick and simple overall: psychology and criminal justice is so it for me! My two majors in undergrad and graduate school!
Laurence
I was going to say that it started of well, but then I realised that it was only because I thought the beginning sucked the least. I mean, if you want to read a story with unbelievably cringe-worthy romance lines, pointless and unnecessary racism and a script that only added to the unrealisticness of the characters, then by all means, throw your money away on this book.
The beginning kept me going for a while because I thought it had a pretty decent storyline (probably the only good point about t
Solim
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok so I watched the movie starring Morgan Freeman before reading this book which sort of ruined it for me but trust me I learned my lesson. The only thing the movie got right was the name of the characters, and the main theme/plot of the book which was the kidnapping. I could not believe how off the movie was compared to the book, but enough about that. This was probably the most I was engaged into a mystery/thriller/suspense book since I read A Cold Day In Paradise by Steve Hamilton which got m ...more
Matt Rudy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
"I have striven not to laugh at human actions, not to weep at them, nor to hate them, but to understand them."

Plot:
Alex Cross is a detective/ psychologist whose new case involves a man named Gary Soneji. This man is responsible for the kidnapping of two children and several murders. Alex Cross needs to find the missing kids and outsmart this sociopath. This story is a cat and mouse game. It is filled with action and several twists.

Review:
This is my first James Patterson book and sadl
Phrynne
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I have read a few Alex Cross books now and decided it was time I read the very first one to see how it all began. I am very glad I did because I found this to be an excellent book. It has a fast paced and exciting story which has the reader guessing from the first page and then it ends with quite a remarkable twist which I did not see coming. I sat up very late finishing it because I just could not put it down! Altogether a really good read.
Cathal Kenneally
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kept in suspense for most of it. I was disappointed that Alex was hoodwinked so easily, considering how professional he is supposed to be! It’s my first James Patterson and it may not be my last. I prefer Jeffrey Deaver to be honest
Carol
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
First Read: I have read most of the Alex Cross books now and found this installment in the library and learned that it is the first book of the series. I am very glad I did because I found this to be an excellent book. It has a fast paced and exciting story which has the reader guessing from the first page and then it ends with quite a remarkable twist which was a big surprise to me. I was up a lot of the night listening to a playaway - 12 hours long. Altogether a really good read. I have a hunc ...more
Kelsey
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Watched the film ages ago, before reading the book. Initially I was quite shocked at how much the film differed from the book. Then I wondered why they changed it for the film. The book had a much better storyline, deeper and more complex characters and it would have translated well into a film.

As is often the case, the book was better than the film. 5 stars without a doubt.
BAM The Bibliomaniac
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: suspense, traded
Really 3.5 I figured out very early one of the antagonists so there's that
But for a first exposure to Patterson I'm pleased. I will read the rest of the series
Jane Stewart
It was well done, but I wasn’t emotionally consumed.

The plot, the events, and actions were very well done. I was surprised and pleased. The book definitely kept my interest. The main reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because I didn’t smile. I think of Grisham who takes me to the 5 star level. He writes a similar genre, but he makes me smile, either at the intriguing characters, or the “wow that is so exciting” when being chased or trapped or wondering if the hero will survive.

At times I felt im
Crime Addict Sifat
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A perfect crime-thriller story. 👌

Along Came a Spider starts with the twofold capturing of the girl of a well known Hollywood on-screen character and the youthful child of the secretary of the Treasury. What's more, that is just the start! Gary Soneji is a dangerous serial criminal who needs to perpetrate the wrongdoing of the century. Alex Cross is the splendid murder investigator set against him. Jezzie Flanagan is the female administrator of the Secret Service who finishes a standout amongst
Rebecca McNutt
Jun 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime, thriller
Not as good as I assumed from its claims to creativity and excitement, but it was entertaining for the most part and a half-decent detective novel with likeable characters and a good plot.
Lisa
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
Audiobook. Narrated by Charles Turner.
Aug 27, 2011 rated it liked it
One thing about library borrowing is that you can check out books that you never would buy. It is actually kind of freeing. And, if there aren't any good books available as ebooks, you can use the opportunity to check out books that you wouldn't have read otherwise. Books such as as Along Came a Spider by James Patterson.

Now, I know that popular fiction is popular for a reason. But these authors who just pump out book after book after book, each book so similar to the last, tend to get tedious.
Sharon Metcalf
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
As the BT author of the month James Patterson was certainly someone I'd heard of but I'd not yet sampled his work. With a long interstate drive looming I decided to borrow one of his audiobooks and simply clicked on the first I found. Not quite the way I normally select my books but in this case I was in luck. Not only was it a book which held my attention during the ten plus hours drive but I enjoyed Alex Cross the main character and figured I'd see if there were others in this series. So that ...more
Nicola
Still remains the best James Patterson book I've read to date- even tops the Maximum Ride series. It's exciting, and absolutely terrifying. I honestly had trouble sleeping for a week after reading this. Very powerful storytelling.
Masterclasses by James Patterson 1 5 Mar 28, 2019 10:41AM
Play Book Tag: Along Came A Spider by James Patterson 2.5 stars 1 11 Nov 12, 2018 11:32AM
Around the Year i...: Along Came a Spider, by James Patterson 3 18 Oct 08, 2018 07:11PM
James Patterson Books 11 33 Jun 07, 2018 09:24AM
What is the name of this book? 2 11 May 30, 2018 07:14PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Along Came a Spider by James Patterson -Starting May 3rd 5 10 May 03, 2018 08:21AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Body of Evidence (Kay Scarpetta, #2)
  • Gone (Quincy & Rainie, #5)
  • The Killing Game (Eve Duncan, #2)
  • Winter Prey (Lucas Davenport, #5)
  • Janet Evanovich Three and Four Two-Book Set (Stephanie Plum, #3-4)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
  • Ashes to Ashes (Kovac and Liska, #1)
  • When the Bough Breaks (Alex Delaware, #1)
  • Chasing the Dime
  • The Bone Collector (Lincoln Rhyme, #1)
  • Iron Orchid (Holly Barker, #5)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
JIMMY Patterson Books
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson is the world’s bestselling author and most trusted storyteller. He has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today, with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. He has sold over 380 million books wo

Alex Cross (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • Kiss the Girls (Alex Cross, #2)
  • Jack & Jill (Alex Cross, #3)
  • Cat and Mouse (Alex Cross, #4)
  • Pop Goes the Weasel (Alex Cross, #5)
  • Roses are Red (Alex Cross, #6)
  • Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7)
  • Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8)
  • The Big Bad Wolf  (Alex Cross, #9)
  • London Bridges (Alex Cross, #10)
  • Mary, Mary (Alex Cross, #11)
“I never miss a good chance to shut up” 48 likes
“What do you talk about to a murderer, and someone you loved, over a perfect dinner and cocktails? I wanted to know so many things, but I couldn't ask any of the real-questions pounding in my head. Instead, we talked of the coming vacation days, a "plan" for the
here and now in the islands.”
7 likes