European Royalty discussion

Other Discussions > Getting to Know You

Comments Showing 1-50 of 167 (167 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I've decided that it seemed strange to talk to so many of you so often, but not actually know anything about you as people - only as book readers/reviewers.
I thought it might be fun to get to know each other a bit better, so I found some gtky questions. Answer only what you want (or not at all!)

Name
Where you're from
Where you live now
Birthday
Family
Job
Hobbies
Favorite:
Book
Movie
Song
Food
Smell
Sport

Any websites you want to share:
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!)

message 2: by Mandy (last edited Jan 11, 2009 08:41AM) (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I'll go first - since it's my survey!

Name: Mandy
Where you're from: Salt Lake City, Utah
Where you live now: Draper, Utah
Birthday: 3/21/1980
Family: Married with 2 kids (6.5 and 2.5) and 2 dogs
Job: I'm a stay at home mom, now, but I worked in the mortgage industry until I quit (when my son was born)
Hobbies: Reading, writing, shopping, cooking, baking, playing guitar hero, exercising, sewing, crafting of any kind, seeing movies and watching TV...I have lots of hobbies.
Favorite:
Book: Hard to choose one, but my regular answer is Gone With the Wind.
Movie: Again, hard to choose because I love movies, but my regular answer is Jurassic Park.
Song: Smooth by Rob Thomas and Santana
Food: I like almost everything! Mexican food is my favorite cuisine, though.
Smell: fresh cut grass, my kids after a bath, my husbands cologne, rain in the summer, baking bread, campfires, hot dogs on the barbecue.
Sport: NFL football
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!):
I read Gone With the Wind when I was 14, and then a dozen more times before I was 18! I loved history in school and majored in English in college (before I dropped out!)
I moved away from historical fiction for years - reading almost everything but.
A couple of years ago I read TOBG with a book club and remembered how much I loved history. Don't worry - I've long since moved past Philippa Gregory ;)

message 3: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Name Cathy
Where you're from Seattle, WA
Where you live now Seattle, WA
Birthday December and that's all I'm telling :)
Family no kids, never married, just Misfit the kitty cat.
Job Credit manager (chase contractors for $$$)
Hobbies Hiking when I can get out, otherwise LOVE to read
Favorite:
Book Gone With The Wind and The Far Pavilions
Movie Drawing a blank
Song Ditto
Food Pizza & Mexican and pasta of course
Smell lavendar
Sport not much interest there
Any websites you want to share: http://www.historicalfictiononline.co...
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) I was in a true crime rut for years and I kind of went from historical romance (garwood, McNaught) and pretty quickly moved into HF with PG (yes I'm grateful), Seton and by the time I found Chadwick and Penman I was solidly hooked and I don't see it ever changing.

message 4: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 6 comments Name::: Samantha
Where you're from::: Houston, TX
Where you live now::: Dallas, TX
Birthday::: 3/13/85
Family::: Only child from a single parent with a boyfriend of four years and one crazy cat
Job::: Secretary
Hobbies::: escapism of all kinds.
Favorite Book::: too many! I'll say the Autobiography of Henry XIII by Margaret George
Movie::: Harold and Maude
Song::: A Case of You by Joni Mitchell
Food::: Sushi, or Mexican of any kind
Smell::: Frankincense, Lilacs and Fresh Tortillas
Sport::: hahahaha
Any websites you want to share::: www.icanhascheezburger.com is hilarious
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!)::: I wanted to find stories about women and men in history that I liked to related to. I always hated history class in school because it was all dates and wars and nothing personal, revealing or even exciting in the least bit. Historical fiction puts a face on history and gives you the opportunity to make an emotional investment in the things that have shaped the world as we know it. Because we use fiction to understand all humans everywhere, we use Historical fiction to understand where we all came from. *phew*

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) Name: Laura
Where you're from: Lived in Many places
Where you live now: Battle Creek, MI
Birthday: Nov. 30, 1984
Family: Husband, our wonderful dog and many wonderful immediate and extended family members
Job: Communications assistant
Hobbies: reading, hiking, camping, playing games, etc.
Favorite:
Book: No way to choose...too many!
Movie: Mary Poppins and 101 Dalmations (it's to hard to pick my favorite 'grown up' movie so I opted for my 2 favorite kid movies).
Song: Changes all the time. Currently "Catch my Disease" by Ben Lee
Food: Mexican and Mac n Cheese (homemade)
Smell: Campfire
Sport: College football
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): The Other Boleyn Girl set me off and I've been hooked ever since

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Great idea for a thread Mandy! I will get around to answering the questions over the weekend (I was doing it now, but a friend just stopped by, so I'll have to finish it later).

message 7: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Name: Fiona
Where you're from: South England, near Portsmouth.
Where you live now: Same dump
Birthday: 25th April 85
Family: None of my own
Job: Seeking, but volunteer in a hospital.
Hobbies: Reading, writing, films, walking, museums and recently started doing cross stitch.
Favorite:
Book: I Capture the Castle - Dodie Smith
Movie: Inside I'm Dancing (US title: Rory O'Shea)
Song: dunno
Food: smoked salmon!
Smell: smoked salmon
Sport: Yuck
Any websites you want to share: nooo
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): By the time I got interested in history, school moved onto the boring war... I mean the cold war. So now I want to re-educate myself. Or rather, start educating myself seeing as school failed at that entirely.

message 8: by Susanna (new)

Susanna (susannap) | 1 comments Hi everybody

Name: Susanna
Where you're from: Portugal(but like to think of myself as a citizen of the world).
Where you live now: Portugal
Birthday: 11/04/1977
Family: Husband, elderly mum and a crazy beautiful Labrdor.
Job: Bookseller
Hobbies: Books, but also books, and books.
Favorite:
Book: I always end up saying "The Maias" by Eça de Queirós and "Maya" by Jostein Gaarder but I love so many. I don't know why but they both have the word Maya/Maia in them. Just coincidence.
Movie: Before Sunrise and Before Sunset
Song: Changes all the time. But I've been a Bon Jovi fan for 18 years and also love Matchbox20 and Enya.
Food: Any, thank you very much. Not fussy.
Smell: Nag Champa incense.
Sport: hu?
Any websites you want to share:not really...
I am mainly interested in historical fiction (and then at the end of the book I start researching the hard facts). I stumbled upon Barbara Erskine books. Read them all, except for her last two, because she became very repetitive and predictable. Then 2008 was my Philippa Gregory year as I had to read all the books about the Tudors. I also love "Katherine" by Anya Seton.

message 9: by Sera (new)

Sera Name Victoria
Where you're from New Jersey
Where you live now Pennsylvania
Birthday August (I am a Leo)
Family Husband, Sweet Yellow Lab and soon to be baby
Job Attorney with a company that has global operations
Hobbies Reading, Growing things (I'm not ready to call myself a gardner yet)
Favorite:
Book East of Eden
Movie The Godfather
Song Pachelbel; current Viva La Vida by ColdPlay
Food Tie KFC Chicken; McDonald's Sausage, Egg and Chese Biscuit
Smell Any fragrant flower or fresh cut grass
Sport NFL Football (junkie here)
Any websites you want to share: Netflix is awesome.

I became interested in history in general during high school and then I majored in it in college. I love to learn, and thus, I started reading both historical fiction and non-fiction many years ago. However, instead of reading one non-fiction history book a year, I've beefed it up so
that now I probably read 5 a year. Historical fiction has to have real accuracy for me (I am not a Gregory fan) or at the least the author needs to point out to me what she made up. As a Ukrainian, I've always loved Russian history, particulary Nicholas and Alexandra. I've read numerous books on the Romanov family so I've built up some knowledge in this area.

I started getting into Henry VIII about 4 1/2 years ago. My current passion is learning about Richard III and Henry VIII, the predecessors to Henry VIII's reign.

message 10: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Name: Sara
Where you're from: Chicago, IL (well, technically I grew up around Rochelle, IL, but I lived in Chicago for 10 years and good luck finding Rochelle on the map!)
Where you live now: Staten Island, NY
Birthday: Feb. 1980
Family: Married with two cats Niko and Callie
Job: Insurance Defense lawyer in Chicago, currently studying for the NY Bar (hopefully I'll pass and then be a lawyer here!).
Hobbies: Reading, this group, dabble in cross-stitch (but never seem to finish a project), traveling (not sure that really qualifies as a hobby, but I like it)
Favorite:
Book: Harry Potter books and most things by Jean Plaidy. I love a lot of books, but these are the ones I have read repeatedly and will probably read again in the future
Movie: Gone With The Wind, Moulin Rouge, most recently Slumdog Millionaire
Song: Varies. Right now I can't get enough of Murder on the Dancefloor by Sophie Ellis Bextor and whatever song is played on youtube with the Pika Pikachu Dance video I keep watching (it's kind of my "fight" song to get myself ready to study - either the song or group is called Caramelldansen). I love Bollywood songs, but I also enjoy more mainstream groups like Kayne West and The Killers.
Food: I love most food. Pizza, italian, indian, etc. pretty much anything. Taco Bell, McDonald's double cheeseburgers. Cannolis. Oysters and clams (now that I'm on the east coast I can get these easily).
Smell: Cut grass, burn piles in the country (leaves, brush, whatever they burn around Rochelle - great smell!), gasoline (yeah, i know, it's weird), lavender, the smell The Body Shop somehow generates (to me it smells like Pez for some reason - I smell it and know the store is somewhere nearby), baking cookies
Sport: NFL Football! Chicago Bears and now the NY Jets. I'll watch the Chicago Cubs (baseball) but if they don't make the playoffs I tend to stop watching the MLB.
Any websites you want to share: kittenwar.com - adorable and great stress reliever
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): I've always loved history. I started reading fictional biographies as a kid (Childhood of Famous Americans series - anyone else read these? LOVED them). I majored in History in college. I love reading to learn so I prefer non-fiction or well-researched historical fiction. I tend to focus on English history, but I've been trying to branch out. I went to Kosovo with my law school a few years ago, so I've been trying to read more about the Balkans and eastern Europe.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments Name: Susanna
Where you're from: South Carolina
Where you live now: South Carolina
Birthday: July 29th
Family: Single, with (spoiled) cat.
Job: Disabled.
Hobbies: reading, knitting, cross stitch, embroidery, needlepoint, blathering on the internet, voting on Listopia (side note: I created a Tudor list, for fiction and non-fiction. Guess what book jumped to the top on the second vote, and has easily stayed there? Snort. It's also leading the Most Inaccurate Historical Fiction vote. Double snort.)
Favorite:
Book: I have a handful - Pride and Prejudice, Bleak House, The Lord of the Rings, the Williamsburg series by Elswyth Thane.
Movie: Casablanca
Song: Changes frequently. I'm partial to jazz (before, say, 1970), medieval through baroque classical stuff, and popular music before about 1990.
Food: I'm tempted to say shrimp, because I'M NOT ALLOWED TO HAVE IT. Ahem, sorry. Mushrooms. I also don't turn down a nice rare steak. Preferably with mushrooms.
Smell: Fresh flowers, baking bread, lavender, burning leaves, spring.
Sport: I like a lot of them: college football, college basketball, major league baseball, figure skating, soccer (European club and national side matches, not the MLS), Olympic almost-anything (must be an actual sport or be entertaining or require insanity in the participants), etc.
Any websites you want to share: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/ Useful for readers of mystery series.
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): I had the books Sara mentions - the Childhood of Famous Americans series - and liked them. But I always liked history; I got a lot of it at home. Cool stories about English monarchs from my mother; stories about the South after the Civil War from my grandmother; descriptions of life in New York in the 1920s from my grandfather; and so on.
And then my mother introduced me to my first "grown up" historical fiction - the Williamsburg series by Elswyth Thane. I think she gave me Dawn's Early Light when I was twelve, and I rapidly devoured Yankee Stranger and Ever After (the best three in the series) immediately afterwards. Then she gave me Georgette Heyer, and I was a goner, I think.
I got interested in the non-fiction side a bit later, but that stuck, too; I majored in history. Then I trained as a historian before I had a stroke. These days I read history for fun, to learn things about eras I'm interested in, and for a good story. I think you can blame Barbara Tuchman; my mother gave that to me, as well - at 15, I think.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura Name: Laura
Where you're from : Sao Paulo, Brazil
Where you live now : Sao Paulo
Birthday : 21/11/1955
Family : a husband and 2 lovely cats
Job : medical physicist at Radiotherapy Dept and researcher on medical physics
Hobbies : staying hours in a bookshop, read books, watching nice movies
Favorite:
Book: hard to say but…..The Welsh trilogy is unforgettable
Movie : all the classical ones (Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Lawrence of Arabia etc...)
Song : no particular one
Food : anyone without pepper
Smell : jasmine, always
Sport : swimming
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) : through Amazon where I found some very nice people, like Misfit, Lilly Flora, Selene......

message 13: by April (new)

April | 23 comments Name: April Massad

Where you're from: Holdenville, OK

Where you live now: Tahlequah, OK

Birthday: April 9, 1979

Family: My hubbie and I are junior high sweethearts. We have been together for 15 yeras and we have been married 6. He's a dentist and we have a 3 year old son, Brodey!

Job: Professional Photographer, but I stay at home now with my son and do work for scrapbook magazines and teach classes.

Hobbies: reading, scuba diving, scrapbooking, and too many to add! ;)

Favorite Book: Gone with the Wind (I could read it a million times)

Movie: Too many to narrow down! LOL Pride and Prejudice, Sweetest Thing, Talladega Nights, Gone with the Wind, Streetcar Named Desire, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, oh too many!

Song: I listen to all kinds of music from classical to rap to pop

Food: I love food! I love to cook I love to eat! I am probably the least picky person ever. I love it all!

Smell: Clean clothes and my son!

Sport: I'll watch any sport! My dad had ESPN on 24/7. I'll even watch tough man competition or a lumberjack competition!

How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): When I was young I was always drawn to books that were set in a different time period. I loved The Secret Garden and Behind the Attic Wall. I read Gone with the Wind when I was in junior high and fell in love! I went through a US History period, but when I read PG's TOBG I was obsessed with the Tudors! The rest is history! Hehe!

message 14: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Sarah, like the kitten wars. Do you know the LOL cats site? http://icanhascheezburger.com/ (major time suck).

Laura, aahhh I didn't know us guys at Amazon got you going. Lily Flora, well she's "my" #1 reviewer.

message 15: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Lol, that site is really funny Misfit! I did not know about it, but I think I have received emails with some of those photos in the past because the captions were really similar.

Ha ha, Alice, tough man competitions (and lumberjacks) - I've gotten sucked into those before! I never plan on watching more than a minute, and all of a sudden 30 minutes to an hour have flown by.

message 16: by lita (new)

lita Name: Lita
Where you're from : Jakarta, Indonesia
Where you live now: Jakarta, Indonesia
Birthday: July 14
Family : not married yet
Job: editor
Hobbies : gardening
Favorite Book : many books, but have to be related to history
Movie : Band of Brothers, Cinema Paradiso
Song : One - U2
Food: Sushi
Smell:Peach
Sport: yoga (is it a sport?)
Any websites you want to share: -
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!):just started to dig European history, especially the humanity aspects that are usually revealed in novels

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura Misfit wrote: "Sarah, like the kitten wars. Do you know the LOL cats site? http://icanhascheezburger.com/ (major time suck).

Laura, aahhh I didn't know us guys at Amazon got you going. Lily Flora, well she's "..."

Yes, Misfit it is your fault,as well as Lily...LOL!! Once I started on reading HF, I couldn´t stop. Both of you are great reviewers!!!

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura great link Misfit!!

message 19: by Misfit (new)

Misfit | 696 comments Sarah, I know what you mean about recognizing the LOL cat pictures from emails, I get them all the time as well. Now you can send them to others as well.

Laura, HF is quite habit forming isn't it? Once I started I just can not read a book in a contemporary setting any more. I try and I always give up. I'm just happy for communities like Amazon, Goodreads and HFO as I find so many books that way from other readers.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura I agree, once inside HF it is hard to get out. I recently joined two other communities: Bookcrossing (we will have an event next January 25 for books donation) and Bookmooch which is the simplest way to exchange books worldwide.

message 21: by Paula (last edited Jan 15, 2009 03:25PM) (new)

Paula (paulaan) Name: Paula
Where you're from:Glasgow,Scotland
Where you live now: Hertfordshire, England
Birthday: July 1972
Family: Single - never married - starting to think about getting a cat
Job: Software Engineering Manager / ex Nurse
Hobbies: Reading, History,Gardening, Genealogy, Cross stitch
Favorite:
Book: Pride and Prejudice, Katherine and Acheron
Movie: Gone with the wind
Song: Sweet Home Alabama
Food: Fresh bread
Smell:Ground coffee
Sport:Only to watch - Rugby
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): I cannot remember, I dropped History in school when we started to study the Iran/Iraq war from the 70's and as far I as was concerned that was not history! What happened to the Romans and Saxons! but in the last 5 - 10 years alot of my reading is historical, to that end that I decided to enroll in Open University and work towards a history degree - since I am already reading the books - I may as well get a qualification out of it:)

message 22: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Goodreads is amazing (I'm sure those other communities are too, but this is the one I know). I mean, just look at where people in this thread are from and where they live - literally all over the world!

Oh, and genealogy - I like that too!

message 23: by Emily (last edited Jan 16, 2009 10:55AM) (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Name: Emily Johnston
Where you're from: Northern Virgina, then Florida, now...
Where you live now: New York! Brooklyn, more specifically.
Birthday: June 4 1980
Family: I'm married to a great guy named Brian and have an amazing set of parents and parents-in-law. I also have a brother who is 23 and a couple of great bros-in-law who are all amazing!
Job: I'm an attorney in NYC.
Hobbies: Reading, photography, digital scrapbooking, cooking, singing, movies and (shamefully) video games. :)

Favorite:
Book: This is too hard! In Historical Fiction, my absolute fav is The Sunne in Splendour by SKP. Otherwise, I have a soft spot in my heart for To Kill a Mockingbird.
Movie: Again - can't handle it. I love most movie musicals, particularly Newsies, Moulin Rouge and Hedwig and the Angry Inch. I'm also somewhat weirdly in love with kids movies, particularly Wall-E!
Song: Life is Wonderful by Jason Mraz always cheers me up. But I'm kind of obsessed with Ingrid Michaelson lately.
Food: Mexican is my favorite kind of food, but I also love sushi and Mediterranean cuisine. Really, though, I'll eat mostly anything and love to cook!
Smell: I love lavender and my husband's cologne.
Sport: Dancing! But really I like any sport that looks pretty on TV (read as: ice skating, gymnastics, etc.)
Any websites you want to share: I'm doing this project where I take one picture a day for a year and have been updating a blog with them at http://emilysproject365blog.blogspot.com
How you became interested in historical fiction: I'm totally ashamed to say that my love for historical fiction started with The Other Boleyn Girl! But, that led me to this group and all of the truly wonderful (and accurate!) historical fiction that is out there. Thank goodness!

message 24: by Tisha (last edited Jan 16, 2009 11:47AM) (new)

Tisha | 72 comments Name - Tisha
Where you're from - Sioux Falls, SD
Where you live now - San Diego, CA (MUCH warmer!)
Birthday - July 14
Family - Immediate: 2 children (ages 8 & 9)
Job - Project Manager for a bank
Hobbies - reading (surprise!), films, art history, European history, and Guitar Hero!
Favorite: I will warn you now, I can never choose just one of any favorite.
Book - A couple favorites are The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunant and The Autobiography of Henry VIII by Margaret George
Movie - Under the Tuscan Sun, Pretty Woman, and Fight Club
Song - This changes every couple weeks! Right now it's That's Not My Name by The Ting Tings and Edit by Regina Spektor
Food - My gramma's lasagna and nearly any pasta
Smell - Fresh laundry
Sport - Football! Go Chargers! I also love watching dancing and gymnastics
Any websites you want to share: Since you all obviously know about goodreads already, I will share my blog! http://briefhiatus.wordpress.com
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) - I think it began with Memoirs of a Geisha. My Tudor interest, as others have shamefully admitted as well...began with ToBG! I DO use Wikipedia and other sites to support any historical fiction reads though, so I get the full (and accurate) history. I have since, of course, discovered many other great HF authors and books.

message 25: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments LOL - I think at least half of us got into Historical Fiction through The Other Boleyn Girl!
And almost all of us are full of shame over it
;)

message 26: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 72 comments It's true, Mandy!! I guess it served its purpose for the greater good though!!

message 27: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Yes, as much as I love to complain about Gregory, I've got to admit that she and that book have done a lot of good for historical fiction. So many of these great older novels might still be out of print if it wasn't for her. I'm just glad people make their way here so we can introduce them to truly wonderful authors and novels! ;)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 378 comments I still am very amused by the fact that TOBG is at (or near) the top of all three of these lists over on Listopia:

Best Books About the Tudors
Best Historical Fiction
Most Inaccurate Historical Fiction

Snort!

message 29: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Snort, definitely!
But you have to admit, the book was entertaining!
I called it my 'historical smut' ;)

Tisha - another guitar hero fan! yay!
What do you play on? We have a Wii, so we only play GH3 and World Tour.

I'm a bit surprised to see how many of our little group are from outside of America! Typical American perspective, right? Just assuming everyone is from the states...lol
Anyway, I think that's very cool!

message 30: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments Name: Angie
Where you're from: Small town Ohio
Where you live now: Chicago!
Birthday: March 26
Family: Back in OH
Job: Indy bookstore manager
Hobbies: Reading, movies
Favorite
Book: Hard to say, I love historical, but also mysteries. I try to try a little of everything.
Movie: Now, Voyager (Bette Davis is the best!)
Song: Anything Foo Fighters!
Food: Fried Potatoes (the way mom makes them)
Sport: I'm a great soccer spectator!

message 31: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Yay Chicago! Someday I'll come back to you Chicago, someday....

message 32: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 72 comments Mandy wrote: "Snort, definitely!
But you have to admit, the book was entertaining!
I called it my 'historical smut' ;)

Tisha - another guitar hero fan! yay!
What do you play on? We have a Wii, so we only play..."

YAY! I have the 360 and have III, World Tour, and received the Aerosmith edition as a gift earlier last year. Seems we have more and more in common!

message 33: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Oh - we have Aerosmith, too. I forgot about it, because we loaned it to my SIL. I was disappointed in it - wanted it to be better, because we love Aerosmith - but it kind of sucked.
I checked out your blog - it's lots of fun! I'm a VS addict, too.

I also checked out Emily's blog - great photo's!

I was hoping people would link to their blogs! I love reading them...it's a sickness.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura (schill27) I am also a huge Guitar hero fan. I got it for the Playstation 2 when it first game out so I have GH1, GH2, GH3, 80's edition and Aerosmith. Also, my in-laws got Rock Band this past fall so now we jam out on those! It's so much fun and addicting.

message 35: by Tisha (new)

Tisha | 72 comments I know what you mean with Aerosmith, Mandy. It was easier too; the level difficulty wasn't comparable to the other editions.

Thank you for the compliment on my blog! Do you have one?

message 36: by Susan (last edited Jan 19, 2009 04:30PM) (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments Name: Susan Higginbotham
Where you're from: born in North Carolina; moved up and down the East Coast
Where you live now: North Carolina
Family: Husband, 2 teenage kids, plus a cairn terrier and 3 cats of the tabby variety
Job: working for a legal publisher
Hobbies: not really a hobby, but I write historical fiction in my free time. I also collect Barbie dolls, though not as avidly as I used to--I'd rather buy books these days!
Favorite:
Book: No one favorite, but my favorite authors are Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, and Anne Tyler. My favorite HF authors are Sharon Penman, Jean Plaidy, Margaret Campbell Barnes, Brenda Clarke/Brenda Honeyman, just to name a few.
Food: Sausage pizza. Yum! Washed down with a classic Coca-Cola.
Smell: New book smell
Any websites you want to share: http://www.susanhigginbotham.com
http://susandhigginbotham.blogspot.com/
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): I'd read the occasional historical fiction or biography when I was growing up, but I really didn't become interested in it per se until I started researching my own novels. Then I discovered how many fascinating books I'd overlooked, both HF and historical nonfiction.

message 37: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Tisha - Aerosmith was ridiculously easy! That's why we loaned it away months ago and forgot about it.
I do have a blog, but it's nothing interesting. Mostly stuff about my kids. Today I made a post about TV. I have strange thoughts. http://moodyjournal.blogspot.com/

Susan, I love Barbies! I have a tiny collection - just 4 of the Princesses of the World. I stopped collecting them a few years ago. Reading historical fiction sort of makes me want to start again. I loved the princesses...they are so much fun! Problem is my 6 year old thinks they should be hers. I have to hide them.

message 38: by Susan (new)

Susan (boswellbaxter) | 96 comments Mandy wrote: "Tisha - Aerosmith was ridiculously easy! That's why we loaned it away months ago and forgot about it.
I do have a blog, but it's nothing interesting. Mostly stuff about my kids. Today I made a post..."

Mandy, I had that Barbie problem with my daughter for a while! Now she's 15 and way too cool to bother with mine. I don't much care for the new head mold though.

message 39: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments I collect Barbies too! Not as much anymore (my collection still lives with my parents), but I've got a ton (mostly in their boxes, although I would love to take them out and display them together in a nice cabinet or something). I love the historical ones! The new dolls do look cheap now (whole presentation - doll itself, clothes, etc.), which is a shame.

message 40: by April (new)

April | 23 comments Okay freaky! I am obsessed with Rock Band! LOL I LOVE playing the drums AND I collect Barbies too! I have easily over 100!
Don't you think it's a little freaky how much we all have in common?
I have a blog too. It's aprilmassad.blogspot.com! I can't wait to read everyone else's!

message 41: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments April - cute blog! Your scrap pages are darling! Really cute layouts - the Autumn one is beautiful. I'm a scrapbooker, but not a very good one...my son's book is about a year behind and my daughters is about 3 years behind...
It's awful. I need to spend about a week doing nothing but scrapping. Too bad those retreats scare me.

message 42: by Emily (new)

Emily (ohmagichour) | 181 comments Haha - I also love Rock Band and Guitar Hero - both of which I have for the PS2 (even though I also have a Wii and an Xbox360... and no kids..... We won't discuss it. hehehe.) I'm a drummer primarily and my husband can actually play the expert level on the guitar which I think is crazy!

Um, hello, I also love digital scrapbooking! LOVE LOVE LOVE! April, do you chat on DST? I feel like I've visited your blog before... Possible?

message 43: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Wow, I've never heard of digital scrapbooking, but I like the sound of it. Scrapbooking is something I would like to do, but realistically there are a lot of things I'd like to do, and I'm afraid of buying a bunch of scrapbooking stuff and then never actually using it (plus having to store it all somewhere). And what are these "blogs" you talk about? Just kidding! I do know what blogs are! I don't have a blog, and I don't think I've really read a blog (god, I sound like an 80 year old grandma!), but once I have a little more time I'll definitely check out all of your blogs.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Name: Jesse
Where you're from: Dallas, Tx
Where you live now: Las Cruces, NM
Birthday: May 25th
Family: Wife, 3 daughters
Job: Technical Administrator (IT geek)
Hobbies: Writing, Reading, Guitar playing and Guitar Hero (looks like I'll fit in just fine with you guys)
Favorite: An impossible task, but here goes...
Book: Today my favorite is FICCIONES, Jorge Luis Borges
Movie: At the moment, MULHOLLAND DR.
Song: About a thousand songs are tied for first today. I breathe music.
Food: Mexican and Italian make me smile
Smell: Mom's enchiladas; freshly bathed babies
Sport: NFL- Dallas Cowboys 4ever!!!!!
Any websites you want to share: My irregularly updated blog-
http://jmunoz0525.wordpress.com/
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!): I've always been fascinated by history and historical fiction is a natural extension of that fascination.

message 45: by Vanna (new)

Vanna (vanna29) | 3 comments Hi! I just joined this group and I'm really glad to see so many other people interested in historical fiction as I am. I am looking forward to talking and discussing new books! =)

Name: Vanna
Where you're from: Austin, TX
Where you live now: Same
Birthday: January 29 (it's in 2 days...so excited =))
Family: i have one awesome brother who got me interested in books since i was almost six years old and a hardworking mom
Job: kinda embarrassed since I notice so many adults...I'm still a student, but I have a pretty advanced reading level
Hobbies: reading, writing, and drawing
Favorite:
Book: The Host
Movie: Titanic
Song: Before It's Too Late- Death Cab for Cutie
Food: Coffee Icecream
Smell: Homemade Cake

How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) I took a World Cultures class in sixth grade and my teacher started recommending me a bunch of books. I became addicted to historical fiction and still am. =)

message 46: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Welcome Vanna! Ha ha, don't worry about being a student! We've got a wide range of ages here. I'm unemployed and studying for the NY Bar, so I'm kind of a student. ;) We're glad to have you!

message 47: by Lauren (last edited Feb 16, 2009 12:04AM) (new)

Lauren (misslaurenwilk) Name - Lauren
Where you're from - Kentucky
Where you live now - still here
Birthday - July 22
Family - live with boyfriend of 5 years and my weiner dog, emmitt :)
Job - part time bank teller & full time student
Hobbies - reading, movies, music

Favorites
Book - tie between The Book Thief & Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Movie - braveheart
Song - burning bright by shinedown
Food - any kind of pasta
Smell - fresh out of the dryer laundry :)
Sport - volleyball

How you became interested in historical fiction... I already loved to read, then I discovered tudor England. Yes.. the secrets, the scandals, the royalty... it all came together to draw me in!

message 48: by Jenn (new)

Jenn (jenn_reed) | 19 comments Name: Jenn
Where you're from: South Carolina
Where you live now: New Hampshire
Birthday: I'm a Capricorn, or a Horse on the Chinese Zodiac
Family: Married, pets: Yes.
Job: UI designer
Hobbies: Equitation (historic variety), Iggies, cooking, writing, I used to be an artist, but college sucked all the joy and creativity out of it.

Favorite:
Book: currently The Sunne in Splendour
Movie: You've Got Mail; The Shawshank Redemption, Iron Man
Song: It's a Beautiful Day (U2), however, really pinning it down is impossible. I have a very ecclectic taste but prefer instrumental.
Food: Southern Fried Chicken and dumplings, a lot of medieval recipes, Moroccan tagines, Dim Sum in authentic Chinese restaurants. Not fushion.
Smell: Wood smoke on an autumn evening while outside walking, Christmas trees, Lilac, Gardinias, freshly mown grass, wet pavement and earth after it rains on a hot summer day.
Sport: horse back riding.

How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) I became interested in historical fiction through my husband. I typically read fantasy before that.

message 49: by Tacowsh1t (last edited Feb 27, 2009 03:22PM) (new)

Tacowsh1t | 7 comments Name -Lori although i go by tacowsh1t on the web
Where you're from - podonk nowhere minnesota Motley to be exact
Where you live now - sunny Gilbert Arizona
Birthday - March 21st
Family - 7 siblings, married with a puppy
Job - Sales
Hobbies - knit, crochet, read, scuba
Favorite:
Book - anything european historical. I loved Katherine Harper;s and Margret Georges books. I can't get enough of them.
Movie - right now anything with Chris Evans. So going to be a future ex husband one day.
Song - currently dead and gone by T.I.
Food - wow anything my best friend cooks. He is truely an artist in the kitchen.
Smell - my puppy, a clean house, Drews cookin, fall
Sport - Baseball baby
Any websites you want to share: ravarly.com its a knitting website. so amazing
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) - Well in college I was looking for a degree and history sounded fun. Suddenly I can't get enough information. I am so considuring graduate school just so i can study more. Isn't that sad. Bust my butt to get out and then I try to get back in.

message 50: by Nona (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 145 comments Name:Nona
Where you're from: Newton Kansas
Where you live now: Tulsa OKlahoma
Birthday: May 6
Family: my wonderful husband, two girls ages 3 & 5.
Job: collection agent
Hobbies: my five horses, we do alot of off road stuff with our trail jeep and four wheelers, reading and of course my husbands hot rods.
Favorite:
Book: ok I can't answer this but my favorite authors are Elizabeth Chadwick and Sharon Kay Penman.
Movie: Pride & Predjudice, Ironman and Vanity Fair
Song: cannot do this either, fav artists are Gaelic Storm, the KilKinneys, Craic Wisely, I'm on an Irish kick right now.
Food: simmering Roast & Potato, anything mexican, carmel apples.
Smell: walking into the stable on a fresh, crisp October morning, fresh cut grass, my horse the warm musty equine smell is soothing after a hard day.
Sport: Equestrian sports.
Any websites you want to share: http://www.historicalfictiononline.com it's a great place for us history lovers, it's got book reviews, discussion forums on author and books along with other great stuff.
How you became interested in historical fiction (or non!) as a teen I read alot of ancient Roman/Eyqptian books and fell in love with ancient history, I was never into English history though but years later it was Elizabeth Chadwick that got me addicted with England history with The Champion, it sits on my bookshelf today.

« previous 1 3 4