The Sword and Laser discussion

James S.A. Corey
This topic is about James S.A. Corey
Sword and Laser Video Show > S&L Video - #05 - Interview with James S.A. Corey and our Tigana kick-off!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments New show is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTaPWY...

I'm going to 'tigana' this thread and start it early. :) (I don't know how you put the '*' on the left.) Good show. I just wanted to point out that Elizabeth Moon was 'only kidding' with her 'chip in every body' comment:

http://e-moon60.livejournal.com/44281...

I liked all the user contributions. You guys should show Chris's Hyperion drawings towards the bottom: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

I would also like to point out that Blue Remembered Earth is out in America finally!

Nimrod has already finished Tigana and volunteered to be discussion leader: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

The Postman is a book by the way by David Brin. I hear it's better?

Lots of impressive poetry! http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/9...

message 2: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1157 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "New show is up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTaPWY...

I'm going to 'tigana' this thread and start it early. :) (I don't know how you put the '*' on the left.) Good show. I just wanted to..."

W00t! Thanks Tamahome!!

message 3: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 08, 2012 04:25PM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments Yw. Hah hah, nice profile pic.

EDIT:
Ugh, Ios doesn't understand width=50% height=50%.

message 4: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Thanks Tamahome. And Awesome show Tom & V - And George RR Martin on the next show? Are you kidding me! Where's a time machine when you need one.

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim | 477 comments What other books were started via roleplaying games? I know that's where Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga got its start.

message 6: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Kim wrote: "What other books were started via roleplaying games? I know that's where Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga got its start."

Malazan started as a roleplaying project. The project got abandoned but Steven Erikson kept all the world building stuff for the books. Some of the scenes in the books were based on actual gameplay.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1899 comments Great ep, in spite of internet slowness (something they DON'T tell you before you go to Japan). You guys seem to really like Tigana. I really must get on with it!

Oh, one thing, I wondered if the original suggester of just Lem should also get some credit too(I think it was Joseph?) especially since you plan on using the shorter name more frequently. Well now, there's no reason you have to play it fair - your show, your rules, etc. :) - and the extended name is brilliant, but when I listened to that part of the show, I couldn't help feeling bad for the guy who first started the 'dragon Lem' trend, so it seemed unjust that he didn't get a mention.

...wait, actually, didn't the full name first get mentioned by Sporadic Reviews? Unless his real name is Zack?

Hmmm, but anyway, I love the name. :D

message 8: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments I think it might have been richard with the original

message 9: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

So many people suggested Lem, including Veronica, that I have no idea who was first. We were wondering if that was his name before y'all even knew we had a dragon.

All thT said if we can show that someone in the forums started the meme in here, we'll take care of them.

Er... That sounded like a threat. We mean we'll give them free stuff.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris (kvolk) Enjoyed the episode...Ty and Daniel were a great interview seem very funny and engaging people....The Postman by David Brin is a much better book than movie...The best dragon name possible...i am honored my alt history was used (bowing)...G.R.R.M. should be interesting on the next show...

message 11: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

I'm the Zach B from NY mentioned on the show

Joeseph at post 11 - How about 'Lem'? :D

Andy at post 12 - I second Lem - any book you abandon can be fed to the dragon!

Me at post 17 -Lem has it I think

Marz at post 54 - Zach wrote: "Lem has it I think"

Lem, definately.

Hai at post 55 - Lem is short and boring though.

Hows about a tweaked version of ButtonUpZipper's suggestion

Sir Lem-Tron 5000

A splash of ye old english, and a punch in the nose of tech-ish gibberish.

Me at post 82 - Nathan wrote: "I can't believe no one has pointed this out (as far as I can tell) but when you combine sword and laser you actually get Lord Swaser. This is the name I vote for."

that is a really good name.. Now I'm torn. Lord Swaser sounds like the name of a human though. I still vote for Lem.

Krystal at post 115 - I agree that Lem seems highly appropriate.

Me at post 118 - I REALLY think it should be called Lem but I'm partial to Paarthurnax (the Old One in Dragon language)Elder Scrolls ftw.

maybe Sazed?
Keeper of the terris. gender neutral? eunuch?

Sporadic Reviews at post 132 - I thought "Bookwyrm" was clever, but I'm sensing "Lem" as the popular vote.

So... combing a few:
"Lord Bookwyrm Lem of Swaser, Marquis de Calibre, Earl of Gutenberg Electronica, and Connoisseur of Fantastic Fiction."

Me at post 134 - Sporadic Reviews wrote: Lord Bookwyrm Lem of Swaser

I actually LOLed. I change my vote to this. It still contains Lem so as not to compromise ;)

Sporadic reviews was first mention of the full name, he deserves free things as well. I was just enthusiastic enough to to actually submit it :D

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments http://www.goodreads.com/photo/group/...

Heck, if you want to get technical on this, I suggested the dragon was a "lem" dragon back when the picture was posted.

Its all good. Zach came up with the full name. So lets move on. Now what I really want to see is the dragon eat a dead tree edition book!!!! The hard part would be picking a book that everyone sufficiently dislikes. Twilight maybe?

Also, I get credit for getting a WTF look from Ty Franck and Danial Abraham with my Team "Ceres" question!!!!!!!

message 13: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Is it me or does Ty Franck look like Billy Mitchell?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm161170022...

message 14: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6352 comments I don't really see the point of the pseudonym 'James S. A. Corey'. Almost everyone is the same breath says 'Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham'. Dan Simmons doesn't have trouble changing genres.

message 15: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tamahome wrote: "I don't really see the point of the pseudonym 'James S. A. Corey'. Almost everyone is the same breath says 'Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham'. Dan Simmons doesn't have trouble changing genres."

It's kind of like a band name.

message 16: by P. Aaron (last edited Jun 09, 2012 11:47AM) (new)

P. Aaron Potter (paaronpotter) | 585 comments Tom wrote:" It's kind of like a band name."

By the way...which one's 'Pink?'

I eagerly sent the link to my wife at work, and at first she texted back that she was amused and proud of my creativity, but almost immediately sent me a followup chastising me because I had "made the redhead sad."
I officially apologize to Veronica. I like Tigana. We cool?

message 17: by Space (new)

Space Council (spacecouncil) | 109 comments Tom wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "I don't really see the point of the pseudonym 'James S. A. Corey'. Almost everyone is the same breath says 'Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham'. Dan Simmons doesn't have trouble changi..."

I find that argument compelling. lol. No but really, I understand the branding issue he brings up. If someone hates 1 book by blah blah theres a very good chance they may not pick up another one solely based on the name of the cover, assuming they dont know of the other aliases the author goes by. However this same idea could also work against them.

message 18: by Matheus (new)

Matheus (Matheuslr8) | 36 comments I love this show!

message 19: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Nick wrote: "Is it me or does Ty Franck look like Billy Mitchell?

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm161170022..."

Don't see the resemblance myself. How does he feel about strategic bombing?

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments Sean wrote: "Don't see the resemblance myself. How does he feel about strategic bombing?"

Thank you for pointing out my pathetic knowledge of history before the 80's!!

message 21: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (seanohara) | 2365 comments Come on, he Gary Cooper played him in the movie of his life.

message 22: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (tolomas) | 3 comments I laugh out loud when i heard the Dragons was gonna be named Lem, because where i'm from Lem means the male genital or a hatch and some other things but mostly used to describe the penis.

Ruth (tilltab) Ashworth | 1899 comments Zach wrote: "I'm the Zach B from NY mentioned on the show
[proceeds to copy paste relevant parts of dragon name thread]"

Now, why did I not think to do that when I was likewise going through the the thread! >.<
And just to be clear, I in no way begrudge you your prises and mention on the show - well done. :D

Nick wrote: "Heck, if you want to get technical on this, I suggested the dragon was a "lem" dragon back when the picture was posted.

Its all good. Zach came up with the full name. So lets move on."

It's all good. I just felt an itch that an injustice had been done, and wanted to make sure everyone who had a claim to it got a bit of credit, even if just via this thread.

So to Nick, Joseph, Sporadic Reviews, Zach, and Veronica for mentioning it way back before anyone had even heard of the dragon (how very hipster ;P) a jolly well done to you all! :D

message 24: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4188 comments So I just watched (well, mostly listened, but looked at the screen every now and then) the show.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the whiteboard reviews. Those are great! Also quite enjoyed the interview.

I guess I'll give Tigana a go. I wasn't going to but since I just finished Throne of the Crescent Moon and I have an Audible credit, I'll start it up. I suppose the worst that happens is I Lem it. ;) On the topic of Tigana, I thought Nimrod was the discussion leader? I seem to remember seeing something in the threads about that, though whether or not that was official...

I usually hate having the book announced so early, but I'm looking forward to the July announcement. I'm going to be doing some travel at the end of this month and into July, so I'll need something to keep me entertained.. ;)

Also...GRRM...SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

message 25: by Will (new)

Will (longklaw) | 261 comments I think Sci fi is on the decline movie and TV-wise and that makes me sad.

message 26: by library_jim (new)

library_jim | 212 comments Great show. I'm so happy I've been introduced to S&L. I'm one of the noobs who started with the video show. I was happy right away because I'd already read Magicians and Hyperion. Wasn't sure about Tigana but they had it at my B&N and I had a gift card so...

And I'm loving it!

Subscribed to the audio podcast as well and will be looking forward to seeing some other S&L folks at DragonCon.

Cheers.

message 27: by Arroyo0 (new)

Arroyo0 | 51 comments Excellent show.
I finished Tigana and loved it!!
Kudos for getting an interview with G.R.R.M for next episode, can't wait.
speaking of G.R.R.M I like to hear Tom & Veronica's review ans reaction to Season 2 of A Game of Thrones.

message 28: by aldenoneil (last edited Jun 11, 2012 09:42AM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Kevin Grønberg wrote: "but mostly used to describe the penis."

I get the feeling that naming anything anything these days will result in at least one entire country and/or region of people equating your product with a penis.

Also, Tamahome - I read Brin's Postman, a novel that was based on a couple of novellas. Great first half, which I reckon was the part based on the novellas. I think maybe it should have stopped there, but the movie definitely did not do it justice.

message 29: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Also, glad to see "bookwyrm" made it in there. That was a brilliant suggestion.

message 30: by Anne (new)

Anne | 336 comments I like the dragon name...

message 31: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments Kim wrote: "What other books were started via roleplaying games? I know that's where Raymond Feist's Riftwar Saga got its start."

Didn't Martin's Wild Cards series start off as someone's RPG? I have a vague memory of someone discussing the origin of the were-subway car character.

Also, Paksenarrion (from E Moon of chip fame) always seemed like a D&D extrapolation through someone who knew logistics.

message 32: by Walrus (last edited Jun 14, 2012 08:25PM) (new)

Walrus | 80 comments Wizards of the Coast publishes books for every set of Magic the Gathering.

Often many of the cards are named after characters in the books, and as I continue to surmise, share powers similar to their behaviors in the game.

The idea behind Magic the Gathering is to capture wizards casting spells, against each other, not egos beating each other up. But, because egos love beating each other up, Hasbro purchased Wizards of the Coast about 10 years ago, and decided, the game needed to get nicer, so it could be enjoyed by people of any age.

It is starting to work into being more of a bored game. The Deck Builders Pack gives 301 cards, including lands :)so kids or adults can play each other at home. If your child is good at math they may find it especially enjoying the game. They may even be so good that they could win Pro Tournaments and pay for college.

message 33: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (deifio) | 95 comments Ok I'm sooo late to this thread, but I've just finished "Leviathan Wakes" and watched the interview with James S.A. Corey.
I've looked through the posts and I'm astonished:
Doesn't anybody else want to play that RPG?