Start by marking “The Postman” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  27,653 Ratings  ·  1,115 Reviews
This is the story of a lie that became the most powerful kind of truth.  A timeless novel as urgently compelling as War Day or Alas, Babylon, David Brin's The Postman is the dramatically moving saga of a man who rekindled the spirit of America through the power of a dream, from a modern master of science fiction.

He was a survivor--a wanderer who traded tales for food and s
Mass Market Paperback, 323 pages
Published December 1997 by Spectra/Bantam Books (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about The Postman, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Paul California Dreamin is not a Beach Boys song (Mamas and the Papas). I think it was California Girls.

Apatt
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
“The heart of my story… about a flawed and fretful hero who feels guilt over telling a beautiful lie, in order to survive.”

That is David Brin’s very nice summary of The Postman his best novel (IMO). This is from an article celebrating the 20th anniversary of the movie adaptation.

In my experience people who pretend to be postmen are usually up to no good, they are more apt to enter your homes under false pretenses and rob you blind than attempt to unite the post apocalyptic Disunited States of
Mike (the Paladin)
One of my all time favorite books, no question. I don't give out many 5 star ratings. Here I give it enthusiastically.

I stumbled on this book some years ago and frankly was surprised at how much I liked it. There are a lot of post apocalyptic books out there. They run the proverbial gamut from excellent to unreadable. This is actually not only a good one, but one of the best.

No spoilers, but we pick up some years after "the collapse" when the infrastructure of the country has ceased to exist. O
Stephen
6.0 stars. This book is the newest addition to my list of ALL TIME FAVORITE novels. Simply put, I loved this story and characters with whom David Brin has populated it. The story is a post-apocalyptic novel set in a future United States in which society has collapsed. However, within this setting the book is really about civilization and the symbols that people rally behind in difficult situations in order to accomplish larger goals beyond their own interests.

The main character is Gordon Krantz,
Horace Derwent
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The movie moved me, the novel is cautionary and healing me

I'm not a big sucker to Sci-Fi, and I have a penchant for Soft-Sci(Rollins, Lincoln Preston and some Crichton, etc), so few books can move me

Technically, it's a Sci-Fi, but I don't take it for a Sci-Fi. Did anyone read McCarthy's The Road as a Sci-Fi or Fantasy stuff?
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Checkman
I wish I could give this book 2.5 stars.

First let me say I have to go against the overwhelming tide of opinion that holds this novel to be an excellent work. Not that it's terrible, but it wasn't what I expected - or wanted.

The first half of the novel isn't bad as we accompany the protagonist and his effort to survive in post-apocalyptic America. The character isn't heroic. Instead he's a survivor. And then we get started with the postman charade. At first it has potential - the reestablishing o
Amy
Of course, I thought I'd be different and actually enjoy this book since I really enjoyed the movie. But, no. What a train wreck! The first half was great; I'd give it 4.5 stars. A post-apocalyptic wandering bard finds a postman's outfit and begins delivering the mail, hope, and unity to the scattered masses. Lovely. It could have cleanly ended there and all would have been well.

The second half of the book is, at best, 1.5 stars. It's as if someone else wrote it, and it barely resembles the firs
Terri Jacobson
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dystopian
It has been 16 years since the Doomwar. Gordon Krantz has somehow survived 3 years of nuclear winter, widespread epidemics, famine and violence. Gordon has become an itinerant musician and entertainer, traveling from one pocket of civilization to another. He performs Shakespeare (in a way) and leads the singing of old commercial jingles from television. It is dangerous to travel, not only because of bandits, but because of the Holnists--a violent and organizied survivalist group trying to take c ...more
David
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Postal inspectors, supercomputer programmers in the apocalypse
With the popularity of post-apocalyptic novels today, one almost thinks David Brin published this one too soon. Republish it today and maybe add some zombies and an EMP... okay just kidding. But Brin has always been a thinking fan's SF author, with big and intelligent ideas even in his space operas.

The Postman does not feature zombies, killer plagues, or EMPs. The "Doom War" that ended civilization was set off by the rise of fanatics in the East and the West, leaving the U.S. (and all other coun
Andy
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who routinely stop reading right before the climax resolves
The Postman is a perfect example of a great storyline with a great build-up that is then totally ruined by a deus ex machina resolution. It's as if the author were given a page count limit and then realized that he was about two dozen pages from that limit and said, "Uh-oh, I'd better wrap this up."

This ranks right up there with Stephen King's The Stand for a horrible, abrupt ending that had little to do with the build-up and character development of the first 95 percent of the book.

If Brin wou
Metodi Markov
Постапокалиптичен роман, който е и сред най-добрите в жанра - по мое мнение.

Брин е създал книга за силата на надеждата и за това, че понякога и един човек, мечтател или новатор е способен да взриви натрупаната критична маса и да промени света драстично.

Филмът с Кевин Костнър в ролята на Гордън също много ми хареса.

Valyssia Leigh
Men have been writing the roles and the rules for millennium to excuse their bad behavior. For Brin to put it in the head of a female character that men's bad behavior is the fault of womankind for — of all effing lunacies — not ganking the 'bad little boys' in their beds before they can grow up to become raging hemorrhoids is just —

I have no words.

Oh! I know! How 'bout he tell a story where men are actually held responsible for the heinous, destructive shit they do? How about that?

Too much? R
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
So I finally read the book that was the inspiration for one of my favorite movies! I do mean inspiration because there isn't a whole lot that the two have in common. Bethlehem doesn't even exist in the book!!! Isn't that shocking?!

I felt that the book was a bit passive and meandering throughout. Since this fits the character I think that this was intentional. It didn't work well for me. And then it's like somewhere around 2/3 he realizes that there has to be some great conflict so he throws in a
Algernon
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
I stayed away from this book for a long time, mostly due to some cheesy scenes from the Kevin Costner movie I've caught between switching channels on my TV.
I'm glad I've finally got around to give it a try. It starts as a rather bland post-apocalyptic adventure, but gradually the author weaves in the real theme - the role of myths (or Big Lies as they are called in the text) in shaping society. The Postman, the supercomputer and Denna are all riffs on the theme of the Messiah in the guise of Dut
Amanda
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
The Postman is often in lists of Post Apocalyptic fiction must reads. I was aware that this had been made into a film in the 90s, in fact I worked in a cinema at the time. I don't remember watching the film so I thought that as this was a PA must read I would pick this up.

Boring. If I could sum this book up in 1 word. Boring. Dull characters, very little action and full of droning repetition. I'm lucky because I very rarely get bored- why would I be? There is always a book to read. The only reas
Rob
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of post-apocalyptic America
To Brin's credit: this book moves along quickly, follows a nice formula, and goes roughly where you expect it to go with just enough twists to keep it engaging along the way.

That said, this is also an exemplar of a very average novel about a "post-apocalyptic America". It makes me want to see the film with Costner. Just to compare.

Also: Brin's attempt at being sympathetic to a woman's plight in this post-apocalyptic scenario? Fell way short. Trust me bro, these broads would be way tougher than y
S.J. Arnott
May 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
I actually enjoyed the first half of this book - a wanderer finds a postal worker's uniform and uses it to pretend he's employed by a revived national government in order to restore civilisation to a post-apocalyptic Oregon...

But then it all goes downhill, the plot, I mean.

And then there was the movie (sad trombone...)
Alexandra
hmmm. i'm not gonna lie, i'm kind of disappointed in this one. and it started out SO WELL. the basic premise is that the world as we know it has ended. there was a war and a three year winter and people are kind of just left to scavenge for themselves among scraps of ruined homes and ghost towns.

published in the mid 1980's, the postman actually takes place in 2011-2012. gordon krantz is one such survivor of the apocalypse and has spent seventeen or so years just struggling to survive.

one day he
Thom
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book won two awards and was nominated for two more, is included on several "best" lists, and was made into a movie. The first half is build from two award winning novellas. Unfortunately, the second half of this book left me with the postage due.

The first half is very good. Gordon is a wandering troubadour, surviving from town-to-town in post-apocalyptic America. After being bushwacked and losing much of his kit, he stumbles on a wrecked mail delivery jeep and adds "postman" to his many rol
Cherie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny to think we have passed the future timeline in this book, published thirty-three years ago, and we are still here. Its it just luck so far, that has kept us from living in the apocalyptic future that this story takes place in? It is scarier and scarier to think that we could be her any time soon. The Doomwar and the Holnist mentality seem pretty close some days.

Oh a happier note, I would like to think that people like Gordon Krantz will exist in that future time. People who care and people
Eric Allen
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
By David Brin

A Retroview by Eric Allen

Some people may be aware of the movie adaptation of The Postman with Kevin Costner. If you haven't seen it. I would probably recommend skipping it unless you're a really huge Costner fan, because that's pretty much the only thing the movie has going for it. I found it too long by at least an hour, very boring, cheesy, and pretty confusing. Back when it came out, I had just started my job working for the post office as a mail carrier, and all posta
Антоанета
Отметнах още една книга от любимият ми пост-апокалиптичен жанр, но тя не се оказа това, което желаех. Нещо в нея ми беше скучно, нещо в нея ме изпълваше с противоречия, нещо не можах да й повярвам, че точно така биха могли да се случат нещата.
Действието се развива 16 години след Апокалипсиса - за него се споменава от време на време, с недомлъвки, земята и по-скоро Америка е напълно унищожена от атомни бомби, радиация, болести, последвала тригодишна зима и т.н. 16 години по-късно все още има оцел
Ben Babcock
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
My copy of The Postman is battered, well-read, and much loved. It's a movie tie-in Bantam paperback that I found at a used bookstore, the pages ever so slightly yellowed, the cover worn, its top corner ever so slightly curling up in a dog's ear. It fits perfectly with the atmosphere that David Brin creates. This is not a book to be treated delicately or reverently; it is meant to be read, re-read, enjoyed, and explained.

As good fiction, and science fiction, is wont to do, The Postman made me thi
Nikki
I enjoyed the first two parts of this very much. The first part covers serendipitous discovery of an old uniform by the main character, Gordon Krantz, just when he needs it after his camp has been raided and all the gear he needs for survival taken. The second part involves the way he becomes a symbol, at first without meaning to, and then the way he builds up a movement around himself, making his lies a reality.

The third part is where it falls down a bit for me, where he comes seriously involve
Reynard
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il libro parte lentamente e va pian piano in crescendo fino al finale davvero notevole. A differenza di altri post-apocalittici, il romanzo è duro ma non ineluttabilmente pessimista. Senza poter dire troppo per evitare spoiler, ho apprezzato molto come la figura della donna esca vincitrice dal Nuovo Mediovevo dipinto da David Brin. Romanzo poco appariscente ma di spessore, decisamente consigliato.
Piccola nota: di solito non amo che il titolo italiano si discosti troppo da quello originale, ma in
Martin Hill
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
David Brin's classic sci-fi novella of a United States shattered by a so-called limited nuclear war. A survivor discovers a postal service jeep deep in the woods. Scavenging the dead postman's uniform and letters bag, he finds himself delivering not only long-delayed letters, but hope as well. A simple, yet elegant read.
Lori
Review copy from author

This was another one of those novels that eluded me for quite a few years. Originally made aware of it's existence when checking out top 10 post-apocalyptic and dystopian fiction lists, The Postman was hailed as one of the better books within those genres.

After searching high and low at local book chains, indie shops, library and used book sales, I contacted it's author David Brin, who selflessly sent me a copy for review. (Many thanks David!)

My timing for this novel could
Astrobravo
Mar 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was one that held a lot of promise for me, but ultimately did not pan out. In the beginning we are introduced to an aging ex-scholar who is just trying to survive in a post-apocalyptic Oregon. While tracking bandits he happens upon an old US Mail truck and decides to act like a postman of the Restored US in order to gain safety and shelter. Eventually the lies snowball and he begins to lead Oregon back to civilization.

However, about halfway through this book is where it starts to get t
Mark
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I remember right, this is a book that received quite a mauling at the time of the 1997 film flop. However, when I read it in 1985 I quite enjoyed it. And it was Locus's book of the year in 1986, not to mention a Hugo and Nebula nominee.

Basically it's the story of how a postman (or at least someone with the garb of a postman) reunited a post-apocalyptic America by helping connect disparate communities through their official function.

The first section deals with how the Postman, aka Gordon Kran
  • A Gift Upon the Shore
  • The Wild Shore (Three Californias Triptych, #1)
  • Eternity Road
  • Malevil
  • Earth Abides
  • Emergence
  • Level 7
  • The Protector's War (Emberverse, #2)
  • Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
  • Alas, Babylon
  • The Sheep Look Up
  • The Last Ship
  • Warday
David Brin is a scientist, speaker, and world-known author. His novels have been New York Times Bestsellers, winning multiple Hugo, Nebula and other awards. At least a dozen have been translated into more than twenty languages.

Existence, his latest novel, offers an unusual scenario for first contact. His ecological thriller, Earth, foreshadowed global warming, cyberwarfare and near-future trends
More about David Brin

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The greedy and the power-hungry will always look for ways to break the rules, or twist them to their advantage.” 4 likes
“It's said that 'power corrupts,' but actually it's more true that power attracts the corruptible. The sane are usually attracted by other things than power. When they do act, they think of it as service, which has limits. The tyrant, though, seeks mastery, for which he is insatiable, implacable.” 3 likes