Start by marking “The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #1)

The Snow Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle #1)

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,410 Ratings  ·  311 Reviews

This reissue of a modern classic of science fiction, the Hugo and Locus Award-winning and Nebula-nominated The Snow Queen, marks the first time the book has been reprinted in fifteen years.

The imperious Winter colonists have ruled the planet Tiamat for 150 years, deriving wealth from the slaughter of the sea mers. But soon the galactic stargate will close, isolating Tiamat

Published February 1st 2001 by Aspect (first published 1980)

Stephen
This is higher end political space opera that borrows a number of themes and central plot components from Frank Herbert’s Dune, while creatively retelling the Han’s Christian Anderson story for which it’s named. I found much to like here. Vinge has quality prose skills and does a excellent job with both world-building and layering in a well thought out political structure. She has also peopled her narrative with strong, determined, intelligent central characters, all of whom are women. A nice c ...more
mark monday
Mar 27, 2016 mark monday rated it it was ok
Shelves: futuristik
somewhere along the way this turned from Awesome I want to know more! to Ugh when is this going to be over? insipid characterization ended up trumping the amazing world and universe being built. review to come I guess.

(view spoiler)
Apatt
Jan 27, 2016 Apatt rated it it was amazing
I always found the Hans Christian Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen oddly disturbing, that business with mirror splinters in the eye creeped me out as a kid. This Hugo award winning book by Joan D. Vinge (Mrs. Vernor Vinge no less), takes the original tale and turns it up to 11. I find that female science fiction authors are frequently better at character development and are better prose stylists than their male counterparts, cases in point (off the top of my head) would be Ursula K. Le Guin, ...more
j
Jul 05, 2011 j rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I am going to describe a scene to you, and I want you to then tell me which famous science-fiction property it comes from. Ready?

So, this is the climax of the middle part of the story. The hero finally meets up with the primary antagonist. They go head-to-head in a duel on a narrow bridge over a vast abyss. Midway through, our hero learns a stunning piece of news regarding a parental figure, and is then tempted to join the villain in an evil scheme to rule the galaxy.

Ha ha, yeah, I did make
Ryan
Aug 02, 2016 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Good:
This is science fiction painted with fairy tale themes. The setting is very cool and full of good ideas, the details well conveyed through the various point-of-view characters.

The Bad:
The story is slow and the characters are all slightly wooden. The ending gets a bit Days of Our Lives.

'Friends' character the protagonist is most like:
Moon is very New Age but also heroic. She is also the spitting image of another character in the story, which makes her most like Phoebe.
Wanda
Jan 12, 2015 Wanda rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wanda by: NPR list of science fiction & fantasy
This book is a modern re-telling of Hans Christian Anderson’s classic tale. Moon and Sparks are equivalent to Anderson’s Gerda and Kai, who grow up together and are devoted to each other. In the original tale, Kai is infected with a tiny piece of an evil troll mirror, which causes him to see only the bad and ugly in people. In Vinge’s version, Sparks gets left behind when Moon is chosen away to become a sibyl and he flounces off to the city of the Snow Queen to try his luck at becoming someone o ...more
Clouds

Christmas 2010: I realised that I had got stuck in a rut. I was re-reading old favourites again and again, waiting for a few trusted authors to release new works. Something had to be done.

On the spur of the moment I set myself a challenge, to read every book to have won the Locus Sci-Fi award. That’s 35 books, 6 of which I’d previously read, leaving 29 titles by 14 authors who were new to me.

While working through this reading list I got married, went on my honeymoon, switched career and became
Mar 23, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I first read this book when I was somewhere from 15-17. This is not the book that the teen me remembers. I am positive the teen me focused on the sex(there is really not that much) and the love story between Moon and Sparks. The adult me has some major issues with the love story between Moon and Sparks. As a matter of fact, as we get to the "climax" of the book, I might have said out loud at work in the break room, 'You have to be fucking kidding me' and gagged. Even the inner teen agreed with m ...more
Lavinia Călina
Aug 03, 2016 Lavinia Călina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it!
Full review here (romanian version) : http://lavinia-calina.blogspot.ro/201...
Liviu Szoke
Premiile Hugo și Locus, un cadru natural extrem de interesant, câteva idei la fel de interesante, o planetă fascinantă, câteva personaje interesante, ingredientele unui roman de succes, nu-i așa? Dar totuși ceva nu s-a legat pentru mine, parcă am tot așteptat să se întâmple ceva ieșit din comun, să mă atașez de un personaj, să mă prindă povestea, dar degeaba, declicul nu s-a produs și a trebuit să mă târăsc cale de aproape 700 de pagini ca s-o termin. Mai multe, pe blogul FanSF: http://wp.me/pz4 ...more
Heather *live on coffee and flowers*
Jul 26, 2016 Heather *live on coffee and flowers* rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heather *live on coffee and flowers* by: Nenia Campbell
Hmm, I'm not really sure what to think of this book. I feel like I could have liked it, but it was just too much, and at the same time not enough. It was long, but the events and scenes passed quickly, told from several perspectives. There was tons of information, a lot of it seemingly pointless, and yet I still felt lost and like I didn't know the characters well. Nor did I particularly care about them. I also didn't like the world this was set in.

Overall, it was too much work to read this with
Sarah Anne
4.5 stars. The sheer imagination involved in this story is absolutely amazing! I think I was about five minutes into it when I started frantically searching for the rest of the series. The fascinating thing about it is that the world itself seemed very much like a fantasy world but this is most definitely a sci-fi story. It's not subtle about the space travel and other planets and FTLT stuff. But it was this blend of sci-fi and fantasy that made the story a bit of genius. More than a bit.

I'm goi
Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated"
Wow! What an incredible read! I am so glad I requested it via interlibrary loan.

One small problem.... in my copy, pages 375-406 were missing and replaced with pages 311-342, AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Whew. Glad to get that out of my system. Now, on to the book....

This book was epic. The world-building, the characters, the political intrigue... I just loved everything about it. If this had been written these days, it would've been optioned for film or TV! I just fell into this book and became
Monica
This book has been on my shelves for decades. I am glad that I finally got around to reading it. This book was a strange mix of fascinating ideas and the banality of florid language. It really is an odd mix. I found the writing to be good and the characters were interesting and many of the concepts such as the "sibyls" and the Black Gate, and the construct of the Hegemony and the political intrigue to be fascinating and yet for me the sum of the parts were far larger than the book as a whole. It ...more
Kat  Hooper
Aug 23, 2012 Kat Hooper rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature.

The Snow Queen, published in 1980, is Joan Vinge’s science fiction adaptation of Hans Christian Anderson’s fairy tale of the same name. In Vinge’s version, Anderson’s love story takes place on the planet Tiamat which is located near a black hole. Tiamat is a convenient rest stop for interstellar travelers and they often go down to the planet for respite or trade, but Tiamat also has its own special commodity: the Water of Life. This youth-preserving substa
Christy
Lily
Nov 15, 2015 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lily by: Nenia Campbell
There's more to me, more to the universe, than I suspected. Room for all the dreams I ever had, and all the nightmares... heroes in the gutters and in the mirror; saints in frozen wasteland; fools and liars on the throne of wisdom, and hands reaching out in hunger that will never be filled... Anything becomes possible, after you find the courage to admit that nothing is certain.

The Snow Queen is about change crashing against the bulwarks of stability. It's about a heart freezing over and struggl
Kim
My thoughts on this book are quite tangled.

On one hand I loved the sci-fi elements of this book. A world which is periodically reduced to a "primitive" state, controlled by the Hegemony for the purpose of harvesting it's most precious resource.

On the other is the drama surrounding the Winter Queen, her Summer clone and their joint love.

Honestly I would have enjoyed the book with far less of the latter and more of the former. The dramatical parts of the book really dragged for me. The whole rede
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
I came across this book when looking for fairy tale retelling books. I recently have gotten into this genre and I did not know about this one. I really enjoyed it, but it was a little confusing in the beginning but I got things straightened out by a third of the book. Lots going on and a page turner for sure!
Orbi Alter
Jan 06, 2016 Orbi Alter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Citala sam je tjedan dana, pijuckajuci je i uzivajuci u predivnim recenicama, a morala sam smoci snagu da se otrgnem iz njenog zimskog zagrljaja jer sam se bojala napustiti taj fenomenalni svijet i likove koji su puno puta sutljivi kad bi trebali biti najglasniji... Imala sam srece pa je i snjegic pao :) Prekrasno dijete SF-a i Andersena
Michael
This highly recommended science fiction classic is an evenly paced epic, populated with complex characters and taking place in a plethora of interesting environs. It is a study in themes, from the more straightforward themes of love and beauty, to the more involved notions of change, integrity, corruption, forgiveness, and what it means to be connected to someone. Although Joan D. Vinge used Hans Christian Andersen's The Snow Queen as inspiration for this tale, the plot is packed with sci-fi goo ...more
Richard
Aug 13, 2011 Richard rated it did not like it
Recommended to Richard by: SciFi & Fantasy Group 2011-07 Science Fiction Selection
Meh. Within the first two or three dozen pages I was very strongly tempted to put this down and walk away. NPR had just released their listener-selected list of the best 100 of Science Fiction and Fantasy, and there's lots there I haven't read yet. Vinge's The Snow Queen isn't on the list.

What dragged me down at the very beginning was the overly lyrical style, unoriginal plot set-up and banal characters of her young protagonists. But I glanced at some Goodreads reviews, realized it had won the H
Maggie K
Dec 22, 2015 Maggie K rated it it was ok
I really had a hard time with this one.
I was excited to read it, I generally love a new take on an old folktale, but geeeeeeeeesh some of these characters!
World building-great
magic system-great
characters? omg I was annoyed by everyone! ugh

I made myself finish, and Im glad I did, but I dont want to see these people anymore. Part of the problem was also a lot of exposition....
Simona Ithil
May 05, 2016 Simona Ithil marked it as to-read
Nu stiu daca pana acum am avut ocazia sa va spun ca ador repovestirile moderne ale basmelor clasice. De exemplu seria The Lunar Chronicles, care urmeaza sa fie publicata si la noi, este o repovestire a mai multor basme cunoscute de noi toti, inca din copilarie: Cenusareasa, Scufita Rosie, Rapunzel si Alba ca Zapada.

Romanul despre care am sa va vorbesc astazi este o repovestire cu elemente SF a minunatului basm Craiasa Zapezii de Hans Christian Andersen.

Regina Zapeziilor este un SF extraordinar s
Jules
Feb 10, 2016 Jules rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: new_own
The writer takes a seed from H.C. Andersen and plants it in her mind. From that seed sprouts a tree you are invited to explore and enjoy. If you are curious enough you might even discover the roots of this tree and what it has to offer.

The book starts with a fairytale atmosphere full of mystic beliefs and secrets. After a while all those fantastic elements turn into SciFi while the end of the book covers your mind again in the mist of fantasy.
Like many other SciFi novels, this too borrows eleme
Andreas
This Science Fantasy novel follows the plot line of Andersen's fairy tale The Snow Queen, with main characters Moon as Gerda, Sparks as Kai, and Arienrhod as the eponymous protagonist. All of those characters stay a bit flat, I wasn't able to really connect to them. Characters' names sound a bit silly first, but they fit their "Summer" savage cultural background and contrast "Winters'" and otherworlders' names.
Beside Andersen's story, the novel steers toward one very important recurring point of
Edwin Priest
I started this book unsure of what to expect and finished pretty impressed. The Snow Queen is an engaging saga, full of provoking ideas and social and human commentary. It is also a wonderful crossroads where folk-lore and hard science fiction meet. Can one culture’s mythology be explained away by another culture’s science? Is it possible for science and folklore to coexist?

The book centers on Moon and Spark, sister and brother born in a small fishing community on a small world, Tiamat. Tiamat i
MadProfessah
Mar 19, 2016 MadProfessah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Probably 3.5 Stars.

Reading this classic science fiction novel more than 35 years after it came out reveals that it still has the power to affect the reader.

As some have mentioned the language is definitely flowery and the pace is slow. It is probably 3 or 4 chapters too long.

But that said, there's something compelling about the plot, which is intriguingly complex but simply banal at the same time. There are two star-crossed lovers: Moon and Sparks, who grow up as cousins and pledge to share thei
Mary Catelli
A classic of the genre on far future planets, after the collapse of a star-spanning empire and the beginning of a new rise.

Tiamat, the main planet, has a culture of tech-loving Winters and living among nature Summers, and an interchange of power between them on the change of seasons -- every 150 years. The off-worlders have returned, but they keep many technologies secret -- in part because Tiamat has the secret of long life, found in the blood of the sea-dwelling mer.

The Winter Queen Arienhod w
ambyr
If I had to pick one word for this book, it would be vast. I have a hard time understanding how it fits into less than five hundred pages, even given Vinge's unhesitating deployment of time skips (GRRM, take note).

There are a few sections where I wish she'd hewn a little less slavishly to the fairy tale (view spoiler), but for the most part science fiction and traditional story are seamlessly integrated. The world building is fascinating.
  • They'd Rather Be Right
  • Dreamsnake
  • A Case of Conscience (After Such Knowledge, #4)
  • Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang
  • Cyteen (Cyteen #1-3)
  • The Big Time
  • Barrayar (Vorkosigan Saga, #7)
  • The Mule: From Foundation And Empire
  • The Falling Woman
  • The Healer's War
  • This Immortal
  • Hominids (Neanderthal Parallax, #1)
  • Rite of Passage
  • Stations of the Tide
  • A Time of Changes
  • Way Station
  • Rainbows End
  • The Quantum Rose (Saga of the Skolian Empire, #6)
Joan D. Vinge (born Joan Carol Dennison) is an American science fiction author. She is known for such works as her Hugo Award-winning novel The Snow Queen and its sequels, her series about the telepath named Cat, and her Heaven's Chronicles books.
More about Joan D. Vinge...

The Snow Queen Cycle (4 books)
  • World's End (The Snow Queen Cycle, #2)
  • The Summer Queen (The Snow Queen Cycle, #3)
  • Tangled Up in Blue (The Snow Queen Cycle, #4)

“But what force in the galaxy is stronger than she is?"

"Indifference." Jerusha surprised herself with the answer. "Indifference, Gundhalinu, is the strongest force in the universe. It makes everything it touches meaningless. Love and hate don't stand a chance against it. It lets neglect and decay and monstrous injustice go unchecked. It doesn't act, it allows. And that's what gives it so much power.”
35 likes
“Real power is control. Knowing that you can do anything...and not doing it only because you can.” 28 likes