Rated YA-MA discussion

The Storyteller
This topic is about The Storyteller
Realistic Fiction > The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis (Group Read June 2012)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis

June's read is now open.

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Okay, I do plan on skim reading the book again because I think I'm going to pick up even more details the second time around...but for now, I'm pulling back up some of the discussion that Isa and I had about the book because I don't want to forget to discuss these points with you guys after some of you have read it.

Don't read these until after you've finished the book!

About Abel's relationship with his teacher : (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

Also, my original thoughts on the book after I read it the first time :
(view spoiler)

Joan (official heroine hater) | 98 comments I'm not going to read your spoilers yet. I'm a little more than half way through it. BUT, I'm really enjoying it! That first chapter really threw me, I kept coming up with all these theories, but I think I've figured it out now. Also, (view spoiler)

message 4: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Bertil was the stalker guy? For some reason, the name is escaping me.

Since these are reveals from pretty early on in the book that you find out almost immediately, I'm going to go without spoiler tags for these two questions.

What are your thoughts about Abel being a drug dealer? Does the fact that he has to provide for his sister make this more acceptable?

How do you like the "storytelling" aspect of the book? Do you think it's a good way to script the murder mystery?

Joan (official heroine hater) | 98 comments Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "Bertil was the stalker guy? For some reason, the name is escaping me.

Since these are reveals from pretty early on in the book that you find out almost immediately, I'm going to go without spoiler..."

Yes, Bertil is "stalker guy". He likes to talk about shooting things-dogs, people he doesn't like, etc. Uh, okay creeper!
Abel as a drug dealer? Man, this is one of those hard, ethical questions that I usually avoid at all costs. Technically, I guess I'd have to say that no, its not a good enough excuse. Probably a good percentage of small time drug dealers have a similar excuse. BUT, at the same time, I just feel so bad for Abel and his situation! He's trying so hard to take care of his sister, so I'm feeling a little forgiving. In other words, I'm being totally wishy-washy on the question ;-)
As for the storytelling aspect? I'm okay with it, not a big fan of fairytale type stuff and sometimes I just want him to hurry up and finish, but I am enjoying trying to figure out who the characters are in real life before it's told to us. I think it's a very unique way of doing it!

message 6: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Your thoughts about Abel's situation are similar to how I felt. I didn't agree with what he was doing but found it hard not to at least understand somewhat.

I think if the entire book had been done in the storytelling format it would have been way too much. Because it's only in little snippets, I thought it was a nice addition. The writing style of the book is very beautiful to read. There's something almost haunting about it.

Joan (official heroine hater) | 98 comments Stacia ~ the professional insomniac wrote: "Your thoughts about Abel's situation are similar to how I felt. I didn't agree with what he was doing but found it hard not to at least understand somewhat.

I think if the entire book had been don..."

Yes, "haunting" is the perfect word!!!

Samantha | 178 comments Ok, I'm totally skipping the comments above to come back later. I'm always terrible at guessing whodunits, even when it's right in front of my face. It's taken me until pg 240 (more than halfway) and I think I see how this is all going to go down and it's killing me!! (view spoiler)
One thing I really like reading this book is it's set somewhere different than I normally read, I just took my first trip to Europe a couple months ago and got to visit Germany, including Munich, so it's nice to picture the setting.

It's also interesting to me the way Anna interacts with her parents. Her mom is so calm and..docile?..it's weird to see how they tiptoe around each other, but all in a very respectful way. And even though I know a lot of people do it it's still weird for me to hear a kid call their parents by their first names.

message 9: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Oh, I'm going to love seeing everyone's theories. Want to comment on Samantha's but I can't!

Samantha | 178 comments Just finished it. My terrible guessing streak goes unthreatened! lol

Some interesting discussions here. I'm going to get some sleep now that I've stayed up til after 1:30 to finish it, yikes!

Samantha | 178 comments Okay, I definitely had mixed feelings about this one. I also always wonder about the translation when I'm reading books first written in another language. Did the translator convey the true weight or essence of a scene or dialogue? I hope so in this case.

About your questions, Stacia (view spoiler)

message 12: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'll address the spoiler stuff later. I hate doing mass typing on tiny keyboards. I had wondered about the translation as well, if the book might have had subtle details that didn't carry over. As for the flow of the translation...I wouldn't have noticed that it was a translated book had it not been mentioned before. Original was German? I don't remember.

Samantha | 178 comments Yup, it said German.

Another thing I thought of (view spoiler)

Carina  | 1629 comments Started it and I'm only 12% in, but I already like it. The writing style is so easy to get in to, without it being too simple. Going to bed now, but hoping to read more tomorrow! Those spoilers are taunting me!

message 15: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Samantha wrote: "Yup, it said German.

Another thing I thought of [spoilers removed]"

For some reason, I'm having a hard time recalling this scene. I plan on doing a skim re-read throughout the month, so I'll try to pay attention to this scene when it comes up.

message 16: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments I just started this morning (thus I didn't read the earlier posts :) and i've read the first 2 chapters, not sure where this is going but the writing is beautiful.

message 17: by Carina (last edited Jun 07, 2012 09:40PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Carina  | 1629 comments I am REALLY loving this writting style! It really flows from line to line, making it extremly enjoyable to keep reading.

Abel...oh my, what a difficult life he's been put in to. And he's doing the best he can (view spoiler)

And what the hell is the deal with Bertil?? Creppy ass stalker much? Jesus, I have a bad feeling about him...

I really am loving the Fairytale tellings too. An good way for Abel to get throu to Micha. =)

I'm 27% in right now. On to chapter 7!

message 18: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments I'm on Chapter 5 and I had to take a little break. This book is beautifully written and heartbreaking. I have no clue where this is going and i'm not going to even try to figure it out yet.

Abel, is slowly growing on me. I mean how can you not find him attractive with the way his takes care of his baby sister, Micha.

The Fairytale was confusing at first but now I have a handle on it ;)

Carina  | 1629 comments Holy cow! Chapter 8! (view spoiler)

34% In!!!

message 20: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments Ahhhh! Dang you women. lol!

Carina  | 1629 comments Its grabbing me so much right now, and I have to put it down!!! Curse you job I have to go to tomorrow!!!!

Keep reading Leea. Its dark in tone and in text, but oh so engaging!

message 22: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I felt for Abel right from the start. What a hard life he must have had and now he's in a spot where he's got all of this responsibility. I think it's easy to understand why he's doing what he's doing to take care of his sister.

message 23: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments Well it's moving now and I have no idea where this is going and at time i'm confused with the fairytale characters and the real life characters and how they are the same and who's who in each tale. Pheww! Please ohhh please ladies, tell me this all gets fixed.

I'm having a real issue with what happened in the boathouse. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Jun 09, 2012 12:54AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'm not telling you anything!

About what Abel did...he was so broken because of what had happened to him. He tried to do the best he could but really had no gauge of how to interact with people.

Well and I also think that what happened partly happened because of what (don't read this unless you know Abel's secret, I don't remember if that was shown before or after what he did) (view spoiler) shaped his views on how he should be interacting with people, which I'm not sure if you know about yet, so I won't spoil it.

In essence, abused people tend to recycle that behavior onto other people. (view spoiler)

It did bother me but I felt it was a turning point to show how everything was starting to come to a head. After the end, it might resonate more...maybe...who knows. We all see it differently. If anything, I was more shocked at Anna's behavior afterward.

Samantha | 178 comments Leea, that was the thing that bothered me the most, well the act and her later response was really disturbing to me. I think this book would have been totally different without that one scene.

message 26: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments I got the impression in the boathouse (view spoiler)

message 27: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Okay, good, I'm glad I didn't spoil anything then. My timeline is a bit fuzzy.

message 28: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments Started it today! I'm really excited for this one...I can already tell I'm going to like it :)

message 29: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments I finished it... Well, I did see that ending coming but (view spoiler)

message 30: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments I wish I could read this one faster! I'm going to have to see if I can try it make it work on my phone. I'm bad at reading things on my desktop haha.

Anyway I'm at the part where (view spoiler)

message 31: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments It's okay Katy. There's no time limit. :)

Leea, I never asked you...what were your thoughts on the ending? I honestly didn't understand why (view spoiler)

message 32: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments I really think that (view spoiler)

message 33: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (last edited Jun 13, 2012 11:11PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Wasn't he a minor? He would have (view spoiler)

message 34: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments He (view spoiler)

message 35: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments Yes it was. I think there was a part of me that was hoping (view spoiler)

message 36: by Leea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leea | 325 comments I agree with you. It was the ending that needed to happen.

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments I finally got this from the library yesterday! There's a few books I need to get to first, but I should get to this before the end of the month! *itching to click those spoilers*

message 38: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments That's great Angie. :)

message 39: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments I'm 49% in now. I'm still trying to figure out what happened in the very beginning haha.

message 40: by Stacie (last edited Jun 16, 2012 03:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacie  (stack-i-e) Just finished tonight, and it is definitely one of those books that brings out a lot of feelings, mixed feelings. I was captured right from the beginning wondering what had happened as well. And with the shifting POVs it was a bit confusing but it settled in and flowed beautifully.

About Abel being a drug dealer, its how and where he grew up. In his neighborhood it is easy to get a hold of and makes more money than any part time job he would have been able to get. I've never lived in the bad parts of town, but I've been close enough to them to see it happen to friends. So I understand it, and how it happens and just hope that someone is caring and able enough to help them out of that situation. (view spoiler)

About the storytelling aspect- I loved it. I loved trying to figure out who the characters were and what little things he might try to interpret in a different way. Seeing the rose girl come into the story. Seeing their little adventures come through. The black ship haunting him and always following them around, helped show Abel's fear in a different light.

As for the boathouse (view spoiler)

About the teacher (view spoiler)

As for the ending (view spoiler)

Sigh, now my long response is over, lol. It was a very good and gut wrenching book.

message 41: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I loved reading your entire post! You had a lot of insight into what I think the author was trying to do with the story.

Your comment about (view spoiler)

I also agree that (view spoiler)

Samantha | 178 comments Great points, Stacie! Ditto to Stacia about reading your post. :)

I guess it's not along the lines of everyone else, but by the end I didn't care too much about Abel anymore. (view spoiler)

Angie (pinkindle) | 828 comments I just finished, and unfortunately I didn't like it. I don't really have anything to add to the conversation, since I was just wanting to finish it.

My main problem with the book was Anna. I couldn't stand her, and having it told from her point of view just didn't make me interested. I felt like she was just bored and decided to partake in some social experiment without thinking about the consequences her actions may have on other people. Then after (view spoiler), I had enough. To me she was just a privileged girl looking for a thrill and a way to escape her boring life.

Carina  | 1629 comments Believe it or not, I'm still reading this. I haven't managed to read more than 2 to 3 percent a couple nights, but at least its progress right?

Now that I see someone who didn't like the book, I'm even MORE curious about it. I love to have different opinions on my reading!

message 45: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments Just read the boathouse part. (view spoiler)

message 46: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments I've finished! Overall I liked the book. There were a few things that bothered me, and it's not my favorite book ever, but I enjoyed the story and the writing was beautiful.

message 47: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments Also:

(view spoiler)

And (view spoiler)

message 48: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I think your last spoiler was probably the hardest part to completely understand when it came to a "why."

message 49: by Katy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Katy | 478 comments And (view spoiler)

message 50: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments True. It's one of those sliding doors/butterfly effect things where everyone's lives could have been different if even a little thing had been changed.

It would be interesting to see what would have happened had Anna never found that doll to begin with. That could make for an interesting alternate story, to see them both go on with their lives without ever having gotten to know each other.

« previous 1 3