Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2009! > Kathy R's 2009 List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments Well, since I reached 70 in 2008, I would love to reach 75 in 2009, but I definitely plan on 50. I should able to add one tomorrow.

message 2: by Kathy (last edited Jan 21, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 1. On What Grounds On What Grounds (Coffeehouse Mystery, Book 1) by Cleo Coyle (3 stars)

2. Love Walked In Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos (5 stars)

message 3: by Kathy (last edited Jan 21, 2009 09:10AM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 3. Belong to Me: A Novel by Marisa de los Santos Belong to Me A Novel by Marisa de los Santos (5 stars)

4. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie (4 stars)

message 4: by Kathy (last edited Jan 21, 2009 09:10AM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 5. The Loop by Nicholas Evans (5 stars)

The Loop by Nicholas Evans

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 6. The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff (4 stars)

7. Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay (4 stars)

message 6: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 8. The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee (5 stars)

9. The Wednesday Letters by Jason Wright The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright (3 1/2 stars)

10. Through the Grinder by Cleo Coyle Through the Grinder (Coffeehouse Mystery, Book 2) by Cleo Coyle (4 stars)

message 7: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 11. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon Outlander (Outlander, Book 1) by Diana Gabaldon (5 stars)

12. Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, Book 2) by Diana Gabaldon (4 1/2 stars)

message 8: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments Since I am reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and each book is between 800-1000 pages, I'm not getting in as many books in a month right now. I'm 3/4 the way through the 3rd book in the series, Voyager, so I'm hoping to get through the next 3 by the end of March or first of April. It will probably cost me my goal of 75 books, but I should still reach my 50 book goal. I'm loving the Outlander series, so the sacrifice is worth it.

message 9: by Molly (new)

Molly | 330 comments Kathy wrote: "Since I am reading the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and each book is between 800-1000 pages, I'm not getting in as many books in a month right now. I'm 3/4 the way through the 3rd book in t..."

I completely agree - I use this group as a motivator to read more. It's not how many but the fact that I keep plugging away discovering more books. I too have read some long ones this year and was thinking of keeping track of pages read along with the books themselves so as not to be discouraged by small numbers of titles.

message 10: by MB (What she read) (last edited Mar 05, 2009 03:04PM) (new)

MB (What she read) Kathy, you have a loooong road ahead of you with the Outlander series as Gabaldon's newest, "An Echo in the Bone" comes out in November 2009.

I agree with you that they are worth it!

message 11: by Carrie (new)

Carrie I've been contemplating reading "The Monsters of Templeton," and stars only tell you so much. Beyond your rating, what did you think of it?

message 12: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments MB wrote: "Kathy, you have a loooong road ahead of you with the Outlander series as Gabaldon's newest, "An Echo in the Bone" comes out in November 2009.

I agree with you that they are worth it! "

Yes, I know. That's one reason I want to finish all of the published ones in the next month. Then, I can get some other reading done before An Echo in the Bone comes out next fall. I'm glad you think they're worth it, too.

message 13: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments Carrie wrote: "I've been contemplating reading "The Monsters of Templeton," and stars only tell you so much. Beyond your rating, what did you think of it?"

Well, I thought it was a quirky little mystery. It appealed to me because of its quirkiness, a little off the beaten path. I had a friend who read it who didn't like it as much as I did, and she usually likes quirky, too. It's not a book I just love, but I'm certainly glad I read it.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 13. Voyager by Diana Gabaldon [image error] (5 stars)

message 15: by Suzanne Shumaker (new)

Suzanne Shumaker | 53 comments I just finished Outlander and loved it. I am glad to know that the rest of the series is also really good.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments Suzanne wrote: "I just finished Outlander and loved it. I am glad to know that the rest of the series is also really good. "

Well, the second one, Dragonfly in Amber, isn't as good as Outlander and numbers 3 and 4, Voyager and Drums of Autumn. It's not that it's bad, by any means, just not quite as good as the other three. I've been told that #5, Fiery Cross is the worst one, though. Of course, again, I'm sure it's not a terrible book, but it's just that it probably isn't as good as the really great ones.

message 17: by Suzanne Shumaker (new)

Suzanne Shumaker | 53 comments Kathy, thanks for the info. It seems like most epics go that way. They're all good but there are definitely the favorites that are the best.

MB (What she read) I confess, I just skimmed through Dragonfly in Amber. I don't think you can really skip it because it sets up too much of what comes later.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments I agree MB. I don't think skipping any of them is an option, way too much goes on in each book.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 14. Drums of Autumnby Diana Gabaldon [image error] (5 stars)

message 21: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 15. The Fiery Crossby Diana Gabaldon The Fiery Cross (Outlander, Book 5) by Diana Gabaldon (4 stars)

message 22: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 16.
Crank by Ellen Hopkins Crank by Ellen Hopkins (5 stars)

message 23: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 17. The Sisters Grimm Book 1 The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley The Sisters Grimm Book 1 The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley (4 stars)

message 24: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 18. A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon A Breath of Snow and Ashes (Outlander, #6) by Diana Gabaldon (5 stars)

I have finally finished the Outlander series, all 6 published so far, and loved it. I am now looking forward to #7, An Echo in the Bone, which comes out in September. I have a lot of reading to catch up on before then, though.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 19. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson [image error] (5 stars)

This book was fantastic! It's been on hold while I read through the Outlander series, and I was so please that it lived up to all the hype about it. I am looking forward to the July release of the sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played with Fire.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 20. Glass by Ellen Hopkins Glass by Ellen Hopkins (4 stars).

Glass is the sequel to Hopkins' book Crank, and both deal with her daughter's addiction to meth. Both books are so eye-opening about the devastation that this highly addictive drug brings to the addicted and the people who love the addict.

message 27: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 21. Lethal Legacy A Novel by Linda Fairstein Lethal Legacy A Novel by Linda Fairstein (4 stars)

The latest in the Alexandra Cooper series. I loved that it dealt with the New York City Public Library and rare books and maps.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 22. The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry (4 stars)

Witty, quirky, clever use of children classics titles, and one of the best and nicely challenging vocabularies in a book I've come across for kids and young adults.

message 29: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 23. The Language of Bees by Laurie R. King The Language of Bees (Mary Russell Series, #9) by Laurie R. King (4 stars)

The 9th in the great Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series. I enjoyed it, but it's not my favorite in the series.

message 30: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 24. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman [image error] (5 stars)

message 31: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 25. Rules by Cynthia Lord Rules by Cynthia Lord (5 stars)

message 32: by Kathy (last edited May 24, 2009 10:20PM) (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 26. Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris Dead and Gone (Sookie Stackhouse, #9) by Charlaine Harris (5 stars)

message 33: by Mary Todd (new)

message 34: by Kathy (new)

message 35: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments Mary Todd wrote: "

"

Thanks Mary for the ticker idea. I made one for myself. Cool!

message 36: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments aren't they fun?

message 37: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments Mary Todd wrote: "aren't they fun?"

Yes, so much fun!

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 27. Grave Goods by Ariana Franklin Grave Goods (Mistress of the Art of Death, Book 3) by Ariana Franklin (5 stars)

message 39: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 28. My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult [image error] (5 stars)

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 29. The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1) by Rick Riordan (5 stars)

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 30. Silent On The Moor by Deanna Raybourn Silent On The Moor by Deanna Raybourn (5 stars)

message 42: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 31. The Last Dickens A Novel by Matthew Pearl The Last Dickens A Novel by Matthew Pearl (5 stars)

message 43: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 32. The Calder Game by Blue Balliett [image error] (5 stars)

I've been reading some great books lately. This YA mystery was excellent.

message 45: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 34. Just Take My Heart A Novel by Mary Higgins Clark [image error] (3 stars)

message 46: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 35. The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry The Cater Street Hangman (Thomas Pitt book 1) by Anne Perry (4 stars)

message 47: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 36. Wake by Lisa McMann [image error] (4 stars)

message 48: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 37. The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey (4 stars)

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 38. In the Woods by Tana French In the Woods by Tana French (4 stars)

message 50: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 312 comments 39. Case Histories A Novel by Kate Atkinson Case Histories A Novel by Kate Atkinson (4 stars)

« previous 1