Start by marking “Love Walked In (Love Walked In #1)” as Want to Read:
Love Walked In (Love Walked In #1)

Love Walked In

(Love Walked In #1)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  35,309 ratings  ·  4,681 reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of I’d Give Anything and I’ll Be Your Blue Sky comes a “bewitching, warmhearted grown-up fairy tale about old movies, charming princes, and finding happily ever after in the place where you’d least expect it” (Jennifer Weiner).

When Martin Grace enters the hip Philadelphia coffee shop Cornelia Brown manages, her life changes foreve
Published December 1st 2006 by Plume Books (first published December 29th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Love Walked In, please sign up.
Kristin chick lit. I wouldn't say YA, but it's fairly PG so no harm.
Allegra Some women are just small. When I was 11 I had an Aunt I used to trade clothes with. And I'm not really that much bigger now.

·  35,309 ratings  ·  4,681 reviews

Start your review of Love Walked In (Love Walked In #1)
Lisa Topp
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Lisa by: Therese
I finally met my match - an author that slowed me down! I'm a very fast reader - skimmer actually (you get more read that way), and the style and beauty of this book deserved to have every savory word read.
Clearly an accomplished writer in the craft of poetry, de los Santos conveys the flow and beauty of the written word in this novel.
In addition, she molds likeable, believable characters, and creates an intriging story.
I will read anything she writes!
Sherese
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was ok
Danita Brown
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was strange, it was long and boring, at 1st. I got through it and loved it. Loved walked in and I loved that 2.
Jessica (thebluestocking)
May 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
For the first two-thirds of this book, I was in love. The prose was so taut and engaging, I didn’t want to put the darn book down (even though I am technically supposed to be reading Emma). The cultural references alone (books, movies, music) were enough to keep me riveted. I loved the pert and unique language of the adult heroine: Cornelia. Also, the author was very adept at creating very different, very believable voices for the two protagonists: Cornelia and Clare.

So, when the last act came a
Camille
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Love Walked In centers on an unlikely meeting between two narrators -- Cornelia, a 31-year-old cafe manager, and Clare, the 11-year-old daughter of Cornelia's current boyfriend. What unfolds is a strange and at times hopeful narrative of relationships, connections, and love.

Cornelia's narrative is chatty -- like a girlfriend catching up on a whopper of a story --, but it's often over the top. The author uses Cornelia as a place to indulge in being in love with her own precocity, and it is more o
Wendy
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-books, dec-18
Love Walked In, by Marisa de los Santos, was referred to me by a dear friend. I am indebted to her for recommending such a wonderful read!
The author creates lovable and quirky characters involved in many versions of love.
Clare and Cornelia sucked me right into their story. I was totally devoted to them and their improbable friendship that carries them through the unpredictable currents of life and love.
An amazing storyteller!
Heather
Dec 14, 2007 rated it it was ok
Shelves: womens-fiction
Reading, it is truly what I love to do. However, I do not like wordy books. By this I mean, when something can be essentially and beautifully written in say 10 words, why ruin it by writing it with 20. The story, its premise and its entirety are nice concepts which had the possibility of many things. Yet, I could not wait for it to end because the boos itself is so over-the-top wordy, I just wanted to scream. Perhaps it was just me, but some of the sentences were just painful because it was as i ...more
Sydney
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes well crafted writing, mom, Jen A, Jen G, Sarah, Janice, Amy
Recommended to Sydney by: Therese
Shelves: book-club, favorites
This is one of the best-written books I've read in years. From the first paragraph, I was hooked. The writing style was just fantastic. It far exceeded my expectations in terms of a first novel.

Cornelia is someone I think I would be friends with in real life. I found myself in her world through the vivid descriptions. It was almost as if the main character was inviting you into her life.

I didn't want to read it too quickly (and I couldn't put it down) because I felt like I had to savor every sin
Abigail Hillinger
Sep 28, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: lite-lit
After two semesters of doom and gloom novels, my soul needed verbal cuddling. I can see this book translating into a chick-flick, the type of movie mothers bring their daughters to and weep mercilessly halfway into the film. The title itself says it all.

I wasn't hooked immediately into this book, as I normally am with guilty pleasures...and here's why. The author didn't have a set voice she settled into. Her chapters alternated between Cornelia, a thirty-something cafe manager, and Clare, an ele
Lisa
Dec 07, 2018 rated it liked it
[3+] Another easy, enjoyable read by de los Santos.
Jacki
Feb 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
I thought about putting this down around page 100 because I wasn't enjoying it at all. I decided to stick it out a little further, because I felt like the story was just starting to gain steam. By that point, I only had 150 pages left and figured I should just finish it. What a mistake.

I thought this book was terrible. What I hated the most was just her wordy, wordy writing. It was messy and all over the place and just too much. No one I've ever met talks like that and I'm fairly confident that
K
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: uncritical chick lit fans
Recommended to K by: margueya
Shelves: marysues, chicklit
So after that cynical, depressing Indian book I thought what I needed was some chick lit, and this was supposed to be more intelligent than average chick lit. Was it? Well, if continual annoying references to old movies (in which I have absolutely no interest), a slightly less hackneyed (perhaps) story line, and a heroine who’s making a valiant effort at having a Personality qualifies as more intelligent chick lit, okay, I’ll give it to you. I guess the fact that I didn’t close the book halfway ...more
Book Concierge
3.5***

Cornelia, the “under-achiever” in her family, is the manager of a café. One day a Cary-Grant-look-alike walks in and her life changes.

This is a chick-lit, romance novel with great heart. The novel is told in alternating points of view: Cornelia, and Clare, an eleven-year-old with a chaotic home life. I loved them both, though I was somewhat incredulous at several plot points.

Clare is a wonderful child character – smart, observant, brave and caring, she is also frightened and fragile. Sev
Michelle (MichelleBookAddict)
Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos
3⭐️

I was going to give this book a 2 star rating but the ending was better. I was not a fan of Cornelia, I like Clare and Teo a whole lot more. As for the plot, it was predictable and that made it difficult to just read it and not skip ahead. I actually had to use the horrid audiobook to keep myself from skipping through the redundancies.

Besides the ok ending I also liked the classic movie and book references. These oldies kind of hindered Cornelia because s
Christina
May 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romantics
Audio Version.

Written by a poet, Love Walked In described love, family, and womanhood in a beautiful heart-wrenching way.

I quote a section describing exactly, well almost exactly how I feel about my purpose as a mother. The main character's mother has just told her daughter about her life growing up with a mentally ill and alcoholic mother:

“I swore nothing like that would ever touch this family.” And her whole body tilted forward when she said it so great was her ferocity. It was the scene in Go
Katharine
Jan 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. At first I wasn't sure this one was going to live up the hype but I was quickly proved wrong. A poet by trade, de los Santos' writing is lyrical in the best of ways. Her descriptions of feelings and moments are beautiful without being trite or bogged down. This is both a heart-wrenching and heart-warming story about a little girl and the lives she changes. I'll definitely be continuing the series.
Cindy
Aug 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
I picked up this book by accident, not having read anything by this author, and I am so glad I did! This story is to be read slowly so as to savor the author's writing style. It is a book about a single woman, a wonderful little girl, and a lot of love!
Charlsa
I debated on whether to give this book 3 or 4 stars. I landed on 3 because while the prose was beautiful in places, usually Clare's story, in other places it felt too wordy and disjointed from the flow of the story. There were a couple of places I felt like it made big leaps for the purpose of moving the story forward; however, I liked that the decisions made on behalf of Clare by everyone involved were for the right reasons. There were several references to movies which I enjoyed, but there wer ...more
Howard
May 19, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobooks
3 Stars for Love Walked In (audiobook) by Marisa de los Santos read by Alma Cuervo and Jennifer Ikeda. I thought this was going to be more of a romance. It’s ok, just not the book I was looking for right now.
Sera
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Sera by: Sarah
Carol (Reading Ladies)
2.5 stars. Despite the witty, chatty, candid, smart, conversational tone, I was distracted from the story because of all the words. Too. Many. Words. It was a noisy book with all the words and book/movie references.....author seemed to be trying too hard. My apologies to readers who loved this book...it’s just not the right one for me.

For more reviews visit my blog: readingladies.com
Melissa (LifeFullyBooked)
Absolutely excellent story about a woman finding love and the young girl that comes into her life. Superb writing.
Erica (storybookend)
There’s a kind of holiness to love, requited or not, and those people who don’t receive it with gratitude are arrogant beyond saving…I held fast to that fact too, held fast and then, in the last seconds, let it go. I released my thanks into the air like birds, with the hope that, if they didn’t find Martin, they’d at least add themselves to whatever accumulation of goodness might be out there.

Love Walked In wasn’t what I was expecting, I was expecting something sweet and cute, and it was, but it
Heidi L.
Apr 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow, I can't remember exactly how this book came to my attention. I think I fell in love with the cover and then listened to an interview with the author on Bordersmedia.com. It's hard to describe this book and how it's written -- crisp, elegant, gut-wrenching, lyrical, heartbreaking, then funny. At first it was hard to get used to the author's style and I had a hard time getting into it, but then after the first 80 pgs. or so (don't all great books take about that long??) I was so attached to t ...more
Kerri
May 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: notsomuch, chick-lit
Sorry, Anastasia, this book sucked.

This is your typical chick lit novel where the single girl (Cornelia) meets the guy of her dreams, hates the guy of her dreams, and loves the guy who has been under her nose the whole time. In addition to the single girl, there is also an 11 year old girl, Clare, whose mother leaves her on the side of the road and her father (who happens to be Cornelia's dream man) doesn't want to take responsibility of Clare. So Cornelia steps up and decides to take Clare in.
Lynai
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, 2015-books
The stars are for Teo, being half-Filipino. More about this soon.

***UPDATE***

Love Walked In was the book club’s book of the month for February. It was supposed to give out feels (was it?) and it did, except that I felt the feels much later in the story. Or maybe it was just me because I didn’t really feel anything for Martin Grace. Sure, he was depicted to be Cornelia’s dream boy (did I just say dream boy? How high school, haha!) but I didn’t like him at all. I didn’t like him at the start — at
Annalisa
Aug 24, 2008 rated it liked it
The book starts out when a stranger walks into a store and asks the main character to come to London with him on a whim, which is somehow supposed to be romantic because he's handsome and elegant. I didn't find it romantic. At all. I found it creepy and loaded with red flags of instability. I spent the first hundred pages asking myself why I read modern fiction when I get so irked with stories about jumping from one bed to another until you hit the right one and somehow that is supposed to stick ...more
QNPoohBear
Jul 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: clean-romance
Cornelia Brown's life changes forever when a handsome stranger walks through the door of the coffee shop where she works. Sounds corny right? Not in the least! Cornelia notices the man's resemblance to Cary Grant right away and puts to use all the fantastic flirting skills she's learned from years of obsessing over old movies. Martin seems to be into her too and their relationship affects Cornelia in ways she never expected. Clare is a going-on-eleven year-old girl who lives with her single mom ...more
JP
Oct 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Must, must, must get past the title, which I would bet you a million trillion dollars is not what the author wanted to call this book, smacking as it does of some marketing gal with funky glasses but terrible taste in books' idea of a kicky funky and SELLABLE! title. Ugh. So gross.

But must get past it, for this book is wholly delightful and surprising and moving and lovely. I think it was on the "staff recommends" shelf at my bookstore; it's now a book that I recommend (and give to) others.

The
Jess Clayton
I've been trying to read something by de los Santos for some time now, but I put it off because I thought it was pure romance. (I'm not much for sappy love stories.) I don't know how to describe this book but it's not all fluff. Ok, yes, there's some romance but also loss, longing, fear, grief, and healing. Oh, and the writing...it's not easy getting into the flow at first but give it a chance and you'll start to feel as if you're chatting with a friend over coffee. I read 75% of it in one sitti ...more

• The Jane Austen Society
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life
  • I Was Told It Would Get Easier
  • Love Lettering
  • The Last Train to Key West
  • Big Summer
  • Don't Overthink It: Make Easier Decisions, Stop Second-Guessing, and Bring More Joy to Your Life
  • Harry's Trees
  • Evvie Drake Starts Over
  • The River
  • Musical Chairs
  • The Lager Queen of Minnesota
  • What You Wish For
  • Code Name Hélène
  • Beach Read
  • All Things Reconsidered: How Rethinking What We Know Helps Us Know What We Believe
  • The Bookshop on the Corner (Scottish Bookshop #1)
  • The Dearly Beloved
Marisa de los Santos is the New York Times bestselling author of LOVE WALKED IN, BELONG TO ME, FALLING TOGETHER, THE PRECIOUS ONE, and her newest novel, which continues with characters from the first two, I'LL BE YOUR BLUE SKY.

Marisa has also co-authored, with her husband David Teague, two novels for middle grade readers: SAVING LUCAS BIGGS and CONNECT THE STARS.

Marisa and David live in Wilmingto

Love Walked In (3 books)
  • Belong to Me (Love Walked In, #2)
  • I'll Be Your Blue Sky (Love Walked In, #3)