Start by marking “The Loop” as Want to Read:
The Loop

The Loop

Helen Ross is a 29-year-old biologist, sent into a hostile place to protect the wolves from those who seek to destroy them. She struggles for survival and for self-esteem, embarking on a love affair with the 18-year-old son of her most powerful opponent, brutal and charismatic rancher, Buck Calder.
Published 1999 (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Loop, please sign up.

Start your review of The Loop
Diane Wallace
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Excellent read! very creative,interesting and an enjoyable storyline that was well research in animal up-bringing..a nice book for animal lovers also (paperback!)
Allison (The Allure of Books)
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Allison (The Allure of Books) by: Jeane
Shelves: own-it, 2009
This has been recommended to me by several friends here on GR, and while I trust their judgment...I still didn't expect to fall in love with this story as quickly as I did. Before the plot gets going, Evans introduces you to a cast of rich and varied characters that are alone worth reading the book for. I was so caught up in their lives that before I knew it I was surrounded by a plot of wolves and intrigue!

The story was so realistic, there was quite a bit of detail of how the wolves live, how
Atishay
Oct 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How do you write the review of such a nice book? Perhaps, by not saying too much about it and just letting all its sacred moments regurgitate in your mind.. This one is what I would call a perfect book to follow up on, if the only one of Evans you've read is the Horse Whisperer.
The typical strong start that has been inherent in Nicholas Evans writings since Horse Whisperer (and we all hope he doesn't change that, I love the way he begins) is present in The Loop too. The book never loses its fo
Donna
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was the second novel by this author that I've read and I've already added another of his to my TBR pile. If anyone tried to explain to me what this was about, I probably would have thought, "Ah. Not my thing." Then I would have moved on to the next one. But I ended up liking this one a lot. It was well written and had a nice flow.

I liked the characters. They seemed rooted to reality and they were true to themselves. I always like when the things we have been asked to believe about the char
Fiona
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Fiona by: Jeane, Atishay
Boy, am I glad I allowed myself to be persuaded to read this book. Although, persuade is a rather light description of the methods used to induce me to read The Loop. I forgive them though.

Thanks goes to Jeane, Atishay and Kathy who for many a long day campaigned for me to read this book and I can't blame them.

It was fantastic.

Nicholas Evans is one of those gold dust authors who has some magical ability to capture thoughts, feelings, actions, movements - everything in words without even trying
Asghar Abbas
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it

Wolves !

But rather desultory follow up of the excellent Horse Whisperer.

It's the Sixth Sense and Donnie Darko effect here, something great by mistake I don't know, but Evans after his first novel spent rest of his career trying to measure up or outdo his debut novel.
Adam Nelson
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What sweet joy Nicholas Evans is after putting myself through most of Jean Auel's "Earth's Children" series. I couldn't help but draw comparisons with The Plains of Passage as I read, although, to be fair, Auel and Evans are writing completely different stories for a different era. Still, there's romance, nature, hunting, and sex here, and Evans handles all with such grace and restraint where Auel will go on for 100 pages telling you how Ayla makes soup, and then another 100 pages with everyone ...more
Lily
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 2015, book-club
This book walks the line in an unusual way: the stretches of formulaic drama almost ruined my interest, but the tense action scenes and hints of moral introspection were just enough to keep me turning the pages.

The story unfolds in the town of Hope, Montana. In the nearby wilderness, a pack of reintroduced wolves - part of a government effort to restore wolf populations after they had been hunted to near extinction - are on the hunt. The trouble is, Hope is a community of cattle ranchers, and a
Thea
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
The Loop deals with two of my favourite scenarios, that of wolves and living in the wilds through four seasons. This is the well written story of a community divided by the suspected killing of ranch cattle by wolves. It pits angry ranchers and townspeople against the Federal Dept of Wildlife and Fisheries, biologists and environmentalists.

Helen, a biologist working on her Phd, is called to track and monitor the seemingly guilty pack of wolves, all the while living in a remote cabin in the fores
Michael Rullo
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves wolves, romance enthusiasts
Recommended to Michael by: Brenda Knight
Shelves: nature, romance
My mother suggested this book to me at a young age. She loved Evan's other book, The Horse Whisperer, and since she knew I love wolves, she had to get me this book. It was one of the best things my mother ever gave me. I still own a copy of it and anytime I don't have a good book to read, I'll always fall back on that one. The story is very solid, the grammar, mechanics, and plot all have sound bases, but that's not why you love a story, that's just what makes you able to love it. I connected wi ...more
Paula
Mar 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very emotional book. It gives you the ups and downs of wolves being reintroduced after almost becoming extinct.

Evans does such a great job of giving both sides of the issue that you can easily see why it is such a controversy. His descriptions put you right in the middle of the story, very well done.
Tara Chevrestt
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much I have read it twice. I related to Helen and even to young Luke. I sympathized with him and the abuse he suffers at his dad's hands. I also felt Helen's frustrations with the ranchers and the way they treated her or talked down to her. The look at the lives of wolves in Yellowstone and the tracking process was fascinating. I plan on reading this for a third time.
Brandi
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love all of Evans' novels (well the fiction ones), and this one in particular became a favorite that has lasted through my evolving tastes. I need to do another re-read again....it's been a while even though I must have read this 5 times if I've read it at all. :)
Hannah Horch
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I couldn't get into this book and I so wanted to because I am fascinated by wolves and spent two summers in Yellowstone. The writing was so vivid, but the plot was too slow moving for me. I quit reading it. I know. I'm odd ball reviewer on this one. Maybe I'll try again.
Fred Shaw
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
After I finished Horse Whisperer, by Nicolas Evans, I read this one. Wolves are being reintroduced in areas next to cattle ranchers and the naturalists butt heads with the cattle barons. Great characters and setting.
David
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sparks seems to truly understand small town life and the work involved in ranching. This time, he does for wolves what he did for horses in "The Horse Whisperer." Okay, not really, but he writes a compelling novel with building conflict between the biologists who want to protect the wolves and the ranchers who want them eradicated in order to protect their livestock. There is a long-standing hatred between the cattlemen and the wolves and an incident brings this conflict to a near war. Remember, ...more
Dena
Jul 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
Ian Allan
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm embarrassed to say I missed the Nicholas Evans book. He had the mega-hit "Horse Whisperer" in 1995, I just ignored it. Never read it, and didn't read anything of his until my wife brought "The Divide" home from the library. It's a masterpiece, and now I'm trying to work my way through his other books. He's really good. He's not a cookie-cutter type author like Cliver Cussler or James Patterson, who's cranking out a couple of books a year. He's carefully putting together epic, brilliant stori ...more
Camille Siddartha
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my fav love stories...I think at the time I was 17 when I read it and the boy was 17 and his lover was 29...I love love endings...In my life it will be this way...with careful planning and lots of love...

Meghan
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"What is it about those animals that people hate so much?" "About wolves? I don't know. Maybe they are too much like us. When we look at them, we see ourselves. Loving, caring, social beings who happen to be terrible murderers." Eleanor considered this. ''Maybe it also comes from jealousy.'' ''In what way?'' ''That they are still part of nature and that we don't how to do that anymore.''

Wow! I can't believe I only came across this book by incidence given the fact that the Horse Whisperer by Nich
Dolunay
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: wolves
I believe if I hadn't started reading with great expectations, I'd have liked the book better. I loved the way the author dedicated some chapters to the wolves, and I wished there were more. The first half of the book was slow paced, focusing on introducing almost every character whereas the last 20% was packed with action.

I loved Luke! He was such a sweet and heart-felt character and I think I even liked him better than Helen. He was almost better wildlife biologist than her!

Alona
Jan 14, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I so despise the books with animals, because the is always something cruel that happens to them.
But overall I more or less liked the book. There were some extremely cinematic moments.
The characters (at least most of them) were highly likable too. My favorite of them all was probably Eleanor. That is strange even for me, but she was probably the most adequate of them all.
Beth Lechman
This one just didn't grab me. Had to force myself to continue as far as I did.
Jo Dorning
Dec 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As a biologist I found this book very relatable and a little less predictable than the usual Nicholas Evans style. Great story!
Berke
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Carinya Kappler
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
It may be possible, although highly unlikely, for animal loving wild life preservationists to exist harmoniously alongside farmers, hunters and hillbillies. Usually the conflicts of interest experienced by these polarised groups blinds them to the fact that working together is the only way to minimise the damage inflicted by each on the other, and the only way to effect a long term compromise in a successful community.
Nicholas Evans has set his novel in unforgiving terrain harshly afflicted by
Kat
Whenever I go somewhere for my vacation, and wherever that may be, my single most important rule besides bringing my passport and other essentials is: Bring a few promising books.

This summer I went to my aunt's for a few weeks in july. I did bring a few promising books, but none that would satisfy the hastily risen need for a great romance. She and her husband live far up among the Norwegian mountains and I try to visit once a year to get my annual fill of mountain ranges and wilderness - and wh
Henry
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a hugely enjoyable read. Nicholas Evans has great insight into the interior workings of both women and men to be convincing when relating their thoughts and experiences. I loved the way he elaborated on the internal personal troubles the characters were dealing with. His thorough research on wolves also made it very captivating for me.
Set in Montana where wolf biologists have to deal with irate farmers when the farmers blame the wolves (sometimes with reason, sometimes not) for losses
Lawrence L
Aug 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novel, from the same author as The Horse Whisperer, Nicholas Evans, is about a wolf biologist, a wolf pack, and a small town's fear and loathing of wolves. Evans builds characters who we side with and side against. Though it has been some time since I have read this book, one thing that still stands out in my mind are the characters. Helen Ross and Luke Calder (especially Luke, who I envisioned as a hot young rancher) are still fresh in my mind. For anyone who loves wolves, this novel is on ...more
Mandy
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heavy book! I wasn't expecting the emotional stuff involving the wolves in this book. It was a good story that I found very interesting, and it also brought up a lot of issues regarding wilderness and our respect for it. I guess I tend toward the philosophy that we are in the wilderness' space, so we need to respect whatever the wilderness gives us or takes away from us. Hmmm... this book is a thinker, but it also has some fun little side stories. Worth the read!

This is my favorite quote (pg. 39

• The Snow Falcon
  • Random Winds
  • The Lily Theater
  • April Fool's Day
  • The Client (Penguin Readers)
  • Coast Road
  • The Twins
  • The Locket (The Locket, #1)
  • A Small Town: A Novel of Crime
  • The Loop
  • Am anderen Ende der Nacht (Die China-Trilogie, #3)
  • Stop at Nothing (Michael Gannon #1)
  • Prozac Diary
  • American Rustic
  • Caravaggio
  • The Oregon Coast Photo Road Trip: How To Eat, Stay, Play, and Shoot Like a Pro
  • The Last Convertible

Nicholas Evans was born and grew up in Worcestershire, England. He studied law at Oxford University, graduating with first class honors, then worked as a journalist for three years on the Evening Chronicle in Newcastle-upon-Tyne. He then moved into televsion, producing films