Amazon Kindle discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
What are you reading on your Kindle?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) So what book(s) are you currently reading on your Kindle? Or what books have you read on your Kindle? Currently I'm reading the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

message 2: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) I mostly read smut on my Kindle! lol! I like paranormal romance and erotica mostly... so I read A TON of books all the time!!

message 3: by Annette (new)

Annette (annette414) | 2 comments I've been reading thru the Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Also finished the Black Dagger Brotherhood by JR Ward (both paranormal romance series). It's great when the entire series is available on the Kindle. I do mysteries and fantasy as well.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 4 comments I'm currently reading two books on my Kindle (do I have ADD? I switch back and forth between the two): Pegasus in Space by Anne McCaffrey, and The Lover's Knot by Clare O'Donohue. I enjoy sci-fi, some fantasy, mysteries / suspense, and some paranormal romance (I was addicted to gothic romance books in the 80's).

message 5: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) I finished the first book of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. It wasn't bad. Once I got past the spelling of the names, I found it was an enjoyable story. I like having the option of being able to bounce back and forth between books.

message 6: by Heather (new)

Heather (smileyhair) I loved the BDB... my kinda story! ;) Im reading some smut stuff now, but what else is new! ;)

message 7: by Ed (new)

Ed (Romson) | 2 comments Just finishing "Brisinger" by Christopher Paolini and then will go on to several "boy books"; war stories and spy novels.. Like "Path of the Assassin" by Brad Thor.

By the way, I read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. If you are feeling too giddy from the sugar and spiked punch this season, put this on your Kindle and read it. Guaranteed to sober you up and bring you off that sugar high. Great writing, but a very dark book.

message 8: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) Just finished Decoding the Kindle. It was okay... I'm interested in checking out the websites that were mentioned.

message 9: by tomlinton (last edited Dec 30, 2008 05:22AM) (new)

tomlinton (thomasee) | 8 comments The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is my hottie
but White Heat is open and will continue and I just joined the Hemingway short story group and somehow . . . somehow, I will . . . I will myself to finish The Sparrow, a fine book, just taking forever!

message 10: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) Let me know what you think of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Was interested in reading that one as well.

message 11: by tomlinton (new)

tomlinton (thomasee) | 8 comments Petunia wrote: "Let me know what you think of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Was interested in reading that one as well."

Loved it! One of the best reads of 2008. It's got some Swedish biz interplay which was difficult to get past and some sexual violence scenes which I'm not fond of but are probably necessary to the story, but mostly I didn't want the book to be over, and since there are several story lines, it continued on past the mystery resolution to resolved some of the those. I couldn't have been happier!

message 12: by Belinda (new)

Belinda | 9 comments That's what I was in the middle of when I broke my Kindle, and I was seriously loving it! I lost momentum when I was interrupted, though, and read Little Brother and Let the Right One In (which isn't available for the Kindle) in the interim. Now it's back to The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!

message 13: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (Angelica221) Just finished Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez. I enjoy really quirky books and this one was awesome. Glad you have your Kindle back Belinda!

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy | 1 comments I just finished Curse the Dawn by Karen Chance (Cassie Palmer, book #4), and next up is Turn Coat by Jim Butcher (Harry Dresden, book #10?)

I found that Curse the Dawn was formatted oddly with a lot of extra space between paragraphs and such. I read Chance's other 3 books in the series on Kindle as well, and they were fine. Anyone else seen this issue?

message 15: by Sarah Jane (new)

Sarah Jane | 14 comments Beat the Reaper. It's fantastic!

message 16: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments Pygmy - Chuck Palahniuk

Or however he spells it.

Just finished B is for Beer by Tom Robbins, which is a delightful little treat.

message 17: by Mike (new)

Mike I see Michael Connelly's upcoming new release, THE SCARECROW, is $15.39 (preorder) for Kindle. I do not agree with it being more than $9.99 so I have emailed Amazon to voice my concern. Anybody here like me and will not buy it because it is more than $9.99?

Thanks, MO

message 18: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison....and also The Mysterious Island - Jules Verne

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth K (callaflower) | 19 comments i'm currently reading some trashy romances on my kindle. yay for anonymous reading! though i do feel a pang of guilt when i turn my Kindle off and i'm presented with the stare of a classic author. their look says they expected so much more from me.

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura | 7 comments I'm reading the Hunchbak of Notre Dame, and The Kindly Ones.

message 21: by Jamaie (last edited Jun 19, 2009 05:11PM) (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Just finished Gillian Flynn's first book called Sharp Objects...and I will be reading her 2nd book soon called Dark Places.

Now reading "Water for Elephants"

message 22: by Louise (new)

Louise (LuckyLou) | 14 comments Calla wrote: "i'm currently reading some trashy romances on my kindle. yay for anonymous reading! though i do feel a pang of guilt when i turn my Kindle off and i'm presented with the stare of a classic author..."

Me too, Calla. But then we wouldn't even know they WERE Classic Authors if we hadn't already had some kind of pre-Kindle exposure to them. We read for a lot of reasons - relaxing entertainment is one of the biggest.

message 23: by Anita (new)

Anita (Elphie) | 1 comments I've just downloaded Phillip Margolin's new book "Fugitive" in to my new Kindle. I've just realized a downside to this new electronic reader. It looks like book signing are out when a favorite author comes to town.

Anita

message 24: by Cindi (new)

Cindi | 2 comments A Carrion Death: Introducing Detective Kubu by Michael Stanley and Lewis Carrol's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (a freebie).

message 25: by Cindi (new)

Cindi | 2 comments The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was my first Kindle purchase and I also loved it. One of the cool things about the Kindle is that if I'm having a discussion or a thought pops into my head about a book I've read, I can go back and refer to details more easily since I carry it with me all the time. (Had to buy a larger purse, which is rapidly becoming an electronics bag between Kindle, phone, and iPod.)

message 26: by Connie (new)

Connie | 15 comments Hi Cindi - I keep hearing great things about Dragon Tattoo - will have to add it to my list! I had the same problem with my purse being my electronics carrier, until last weekend when I finally caved an got an iphone. Now Kindle, phone, and music/audiobooks are all in one handy little device. Now my purse seems way too big!

I just started The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane.

message 27: by Jacqueline (last edited Jun 22, 2009 10:07AM) (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (Jacqden04) | 8 comments Hello, I am listening to Eve by Elissa Elliott at work now.

message 28: by Jamaie (last edited Jun 24, 2009 08:50AM) (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Currently reading "Dark Places" by Gillian Flynn.

Will be starting "The Giver" by Lois Lowry next.

BTW...I loved Water for Elephants!

message 29: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (Cheryl_S) | 26 comments I just finished The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and am pondering what to read next ... The Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley or something lighter like The Widow by Carla Neggers....

message 30: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Jacqueline wrote: "Hello, I am listening to Eve by Elissa Elliott at work now. "

Do you have any issues when you listen with the Kindle? I seem to...like it will pronounce words wrong & sentences running into other sentences w/o a break in between...LOL...it's sorta funny, but a little annoying to.

message 31: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Mike wrote: "I see Michael Connelly's upcoming new release, THE SCARECROW, is $15.39 (preorder) for Kindle. I do not agree with it being more than $9.99 so I have emailed Amazon to voice my concern. Anybody he..."

Yes, I'm very much like you. I check back on books I want hoping the price will go down.

message 32: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (Jacqden04) | 8 comments I am reading the BDB series and Twilight series on my Kindle. I love my kindle. I never leave home without it now. I have read more books on the kindle then in paperback in the past three months. I am downloading some more smut now to read (Mona Lisa series).

message 33: by Elena (new)

Elena I am reading Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost. Something I am loving about the Kindle is that with these books that are part of a series, I can dowload the next one right after I am done. Don't have to order it or go to the bookstore for it, love it!

message 34: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 8 comments I'm currently reading Luthiel's Song Dreams of the Ringed Vale by Robert Fanney. Had it on my wish-list for awhile, so when I noticed that Amazon had it for 99-cents I snagged it! I'm really enjoying it so far.

I have to admit that I'm quite addicted to my Kindle! Or perhaps I should say instead, that I'm addicted to shopping for and organizing series of books. One-click is WAY too easy to use when I'm pouring through reviews and recommendations that I find on various book forums (GoodReads especially, because darn that "handy" Amazon link on every book page LOL)! I'm partial to the paranormal and fantasy genres (both very series-laden), so everytime I find something that is 'to-read' worthy it just spins me off into an alternative universe of "if this sounds good, then you'll LOVE this!" The next thing I know, it's hours later and I've blown through my entire monthly book budget in a single afternoon. *sigh* Thank goodness for freebies and samples, they help take the edge of the shopping jones during dry spells. :)

~Peace

message 35: by Elena (new)

Elena Mary, I put them on "Save for later", I can resist the urge to buy them right away, thanks God.
Can you organize books in the Kindle? I have been wishing I could do that!

message 36: by Mary E. (last edited Jun 24, 2009 02:20PM) (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 8 comments Elena wrote: "Mary, I put them on "Save for later", I can resist the urge to buy them right away, thanks God.
Can you organize books in the Kindle? I have been wishing I could do that!"

I wish! That's one Kindle feature (folders) I would die for! For now I just organize my library here to keep track of what I have. On my Kindle I tried using the annotations to save tags in my books for "filtering" them through sorting using the Search feature, but that quickly became too cumbersome.

Now if only GoodReads would allow some kind of search/filter so I could quickly find my way to books that overlap more than one shelf (such as my 'kindle' and 'paranormal' shelves, for example). I swear, sometimes I think I spend more time organizing and reading *about* books than actually reading *books*. My 'to-read' shelf grows much faster than my 'read' shelf LOL!

Thanks for the "Save for Later" reminder, I forgot about that! I've just been collecting samples.

message 37: by Elena (new)

Elena You can overlap shelfs here. You have to create them "not exclusive" I hope that helps. But I don't want to get off topic...send me a message if you have any question.

message 38: by Kirstin (new)

Kirstin Crossland (KirstinCrossland) | 6 comments Cheryl wrote: "I just finished The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and am pondering what to read next ... The Tricking of Freya by Christina Sunley or something lighter like The Widow by Carla Neggers...."

Hi Cheryl - how did you like The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane? I just started it myself.

message 39: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Coleman (Jacqden04) | 8 comments Jamaie wrote: "Jacqueline wrote: "Hello, I am listening to Eve by Elissa Elliott at work now. "

Do you have any issues when you listen with the Kindle? I seem to...like it will pronounce wo..."

Yes, it does not sound like a true audiobook but you get use to it.

message 40: by Louise (new)

Louise (LuckyLou) | 14 comments Jamaie wrote: "Mike wrote: "I see Michael Connelly's upcoming new release, THE SCARECROW, is $15.39 (preorder) for Kindle. I do not agree with it being more than $9.99 so I have emailed Amazon to voice my concer..."

Hey You All,
Michael Connelly's THE SCARECROW for Kindle is now priced at $9.99 at Amazon. Perhaps your protests have born fruit. CONGRATULATIONS! - next time we'll all join in to throw our weight where it counts?

message 41: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments LOL..thanks Mike & Louise

I just finished 'The Giver'...excellent !

Will be starting 'Bean Trees' by Barbara Kingsolver this evening.

message 42: by Louise (new)

Louise (LuckyLou) | 14 comments I'm trying to finish "The Blind Assassin" by Margaret Atwood, but keep getting sidetracked by my Eons groups. I'm told Margaret Atwood is essential reading of living authors and agree the lady can write - with impact. I'm 89% through on my Kindle 2 reader and still not sure where we're going. Be prepared for sudden flashbacks and forwards, but definitely worth the ride!

message 43: by Louise (new)

Louise (LuckyLou) | 14 comments PS
Well, I finished The Blind Assassin last night. Lots of surprises in the last two chapters that require some back pedaling to verify if all the needed clues really were provided earlier in the game. I believe they were - though well-hidden, purposely leading the reader to alternate conclusions. But overall the story and writing are powerful and well worth the trip.

message 44: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 542 comments The Eyre Affair - Jasper Fforde

Lots of fun, takes a bit to get your head around a world that has cloned dodos and the Crimean War is still on, but overall it was a good, fairly quick read.

message 45: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments I am reading Eclipse on my Kindle. It is so nice not to have to lug that big book around lol

message 46: by Louise (new)

Louise (LuckyLou) | 14 comments I am a very slow reader and even with my light and nimble Kindle, I'm lucky to get through a book in one week. I'm just wondering, Gina, how you and others handle three or more at a time with "To-Read" lists in the 70s? With access to so many reviews and recommendations, I find my Kindle Samples piling up to the point I'll have to re-read them all again when I finally finish my present effort. Maybe it's because I'm spending too much time reading about what others are reading about? Or does that defeat our purpose in signing on with GoodReads in the first place?

message 47: by Elena (new)

Elena My "To Read" list is my "Save for Later" list. This way I don't have all those samples at "home". I download the sample when I am thinking of reading a book, I delete them after I read them. You can always go back to the "Save for Later" and download them again.

message 48: by Mary E. (new)

Mary E. (jujjy) | 8 comments I just wish "save for later" was an option when browsing the store on my PC (if there is, I don't see it, I've been using the "add to wish list" option from the customer reviews page). I live in the toolies, so my wireless signal out here is too weak for shopping on my Kindle. And I totally agree, samples tend to clutter "home", alot of them I end up deleting without reading for that reason. Usually by the time I do get around to reading one, I can't remember why I downloaded it LOL!
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Currently Reading
Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Stroke Book by June Biermann
What to Eat When You Get Diabetes Easy and Appetizing Ways to Make Healthful Changes in Your Diet by Carolyn Leontos

message 49: by Gina (new)

Gina (so_vintage87) | 16 comments Louise- I try to read one book at a time (even though right now I am reading two). With my 'To-reads' list its mostly books I see that seem interesting and I don't want to foget about. I normally go through my list and think 'hmmm what am I in the mood to read'. I try not to stress it because I know that the list of books I want to read is always going to seem endless lol

message 50: by Jamaie (new)

Jamaie | 18 comments Right now I'm reading "Blood Engines"...not what I would normally read, but it was there & free...LOL...so now I'm reading it & I'm in the 7th chapter & I'm really liking it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.