Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Group Monthly Discussions > What is your suggestion for our fourth Group Read

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sérgio (last edited Feb 23, 2012 09:33AM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Please suggest two graphic novels for our fourth book discussion. Please send your suggestion from February 20th to Sunday February 26th by midnight.

A poll will be set up on February 27th so people can vote during the whole week until Sunday March 4th.

Remember, the top vote getter will be our official fourth reading group discussion, and the 2nd place vote getter will be our optional group read.

Books suggested so far:

Who is Jake Ellis? Volume 1
Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths
The Filth
Mouse Guard: Fall 1152
Grandville
You Are Here
Dotter of Her Father's Eyes
American Vampire, Vol. 1
Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice
Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
Locke and Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street
Lucifer, Vol. 1: Devil in the Gateway
Daredevil Legends, Vol. 2: Born Again
Batman: The Long Halloween
Duncan the Wonder Dog: Show One
Market Day
The Nightly News
Transhuman
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier
The Arctic Marauder
The Walking Man
Absolute Planetary Book One
Flight, Vol. 1
Criminal Macabre Omnibus, Volume 1: The Cal McDonald Mysteries
The Infinity Gauntlet
Castle Waiting, Vol. 1
Ghost World
Habibi
The Alcoholic

NOTE: This is not a definitive list. If you want to change your suggestions just let us know before next week in this thread and we will change the list.

message 2: by Melki (last edited Feb 20, 2012 03:00AM) (new)

message 3: by Vladimir (new)

Vladimir | 3 comments I nominate Filth by Grant Morrison

message 4: by Carl (new)

Carl Jones (lizzard1138) | 3 comments i'd like mouseguard or from hell

message 5: by Cyndi (last edited Feb 20, 2012 01:25PM) (new)

Cyndi (bookchick64) I second Filth/Grant Morrison American Vampire 1

message 6: by Slayerscott (new)

Slayerscott | 10 comments I second Mouse Guard and also nominate Bryan Talbot's Grandville.

message 7: by Ricardo (last edited Feb 20, 2012 06:35AM) (new)

Ricardo Baptista (semilhinha) So we're limited to english written graphic novels, right?

message 8: by Matko (new)

Matko (mali_mate) | 26 comments Or the ones translated into English as far as I understand

You Are Here

Dotter of Her Father's Eyes

message 10: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (dominickgrace) | 166 comments I'd suggest Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron, simply because it'd give me an excuse to read it after all these years.

message 11: by Sérgio (last edited Feb 21, 2012 06:13AM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Ricardo wrote: "So we're limited to english written graphic novels, right?"

Matko wrote: "Or the ones translated into English as far as I understand

"

Matko is right, I'd advise you to choose books that have been published in English (EDIT: doesn't matter if it was originally published in another language) and can potentially be discussed by all the members of the group.

message 12: by André (new)

André (andredcn) Filth and Mouse Guard seem good options and I also have Locke and Key by Joe Hill on my soon to read list!

As other options I'd suggest Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman, Beasts of Burden by Evan Dorkin, Jimmy Corrigan: the Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware and Habibi by Craig Thompson - I've read them and all could generate good group discussions for you guys :)

message 13: by Vladimir (new)

Vladimir | 3 comments Yeah,Locke and key is a stunning series,maybe the best ongoing series at the moment.

message 14: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi (bookchick64) Vladimir wrote: "Yeah,Locke and key is a stunning series,maybe the best ongoing series at the moment."

so right Vladimir!!

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Culver (wordsasbombs) | 11 comments I vote Transmetropolitan vol.1 or American Vampire vol. 1

message 16: by Yvonne (new)

Yvonne Mendez (Yvonne_Mendez) I nominate Mike Carey's Lucifer: Devil in the Gateway

message 18: by Ricardo (new)

Ricardo Baptista (semilhinha) Why not Duncan the Wonder Dog by Adam Hines and Market Day by James Sturm?

message 19: by Mike (new)

Mike (paranoidmike) Transmet 1/Ellis
Nightly News/Hickman
Transhuman/Hickman

message 20: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (dominickgrace) | 166 comments I'd also suggest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier.

message 21: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments André wrote: "Filth and Mouse Guard seem good options and I also have Locke and Key by Joe Hill on my soon to read list!

As other options I'd suggest Nightly News by Jonathan Hickman, Beasts of Burden by Evan D..."

Huh, those are a lot.

We can't put all those in the poll, I'm sorry. The rule is two by participant.

Why don't you choose two of the ones you mentioned. Otherwise we'll just pick up the first two.

message 22: by Sérgio (last edited Feb 21, 2012 04:47AM) (new)

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

My votes go to Amercian Vampire and lucifer

message 24: by André (new)

André (andredcn) Sérgio, I'll stand for Filth and Locke and Key at the moment. Was just trying to give ideas to other users hehe :)

message 25: by Rani (new)

Rani | 1 comments My suggestions are Absolute Planetary Book One
and Flight Volume 1 (Flight, #1)

message 28: by Adam (new)

Adam | 130 comments I'll go for:

Castle Waiting, Vol. 1
Ghost World

NB - the Absolute Planetary book is virtually impossible to get hold of if you don't already have it, but it combines Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories and Planetary, Vol. 2: The Fourth Man, both of which you can pick up for £notmany.

message 29: by Mark (new)

Mark | 25 comments My votes:
Mouse Gurad: Fall 1152, or The Nightly News.

message 30: by Derrick (new)

Derrick (noetichatter) Some nice choices. Wouldn't hurt my feelings if you picked Planetary, Transmet, or Lucifer -- those series are on my need-to-read list.

message 31: by Rebeca (new)

Rebeca (craftyaphid) I'll go with Planetary, Vol. 1: All Over the World and Other Stories and Chew, Vol. 1: Taster's Choice. Both are high up on my "to-read" list.

message 32: by Albert (new)

Albert (albertic0) | 31 comments I second the filth!

message 33: by Adam (new)

Adam | 130 comments Habibi's sitting waiting on my shelf too, Kevin.

message 34: by Tyler (new)

Tyler One I've read and one I haven't:
Habibi - Craig Thompson

The Alcoholic - Jonathon Aimes/Dean Haspiel

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.