Start by marking “The Walking Man” as Want to Read:
The Walking Man

The Walking Man

Whoever takes the time these days to climb a tree in bare feet? To stop and observe the comings and goings of the birds? To play in the puddles after the rain has gone? To return a shell to the sea? The Walking Man follows a modern day Japanese business man as he strolls at random through urban Japan - often silent, usually alone - with his vivid dreams that let time stand ...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Ponent Mon Ltd (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Walking Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Walking Man

Start your review of The Walking Man
Seth T.
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recently having read Muriel Barbery's The Elegance of the Hedgehog, I was reminded, in some ways, of a much better book. If one that is entirely different. The younger of the two narrative forces in Barbery's book, the genius twelve-year-old Paloma, expresses a fondness for the works of Jiro Taniguchi (specifically his Summit of the Gods). I've been a fan of Taniguchi myself for some time, though it's difficult to find his stuff on American shores.

Unlike Barbery's Hedgehog, the only way one coul
Travis
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels, manga
Generally enjoyable and it made me a bit nostalgic for Japan and my own wanderings there. However, I found myself weirdly disliking the main character, even though he hardly says anything. Part of the problem is that he just looks annoyingly smug. Another part is that we only ever see his simple wonder of exploring new places and laughingly accepting minor misfortunes like unexpected rain or broken glasses, we never see the contrasting grind of daily life. I suppose given the homogeneity of Japa ...more
Michael
241019 later addition: new find https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... basically the same but set historical era...

270719 much later later addition: i look at this again, slip back into that meditating calmness, now read more books fiction and non, looked more graphics, and there is not much to add to previous reviews. favorite graphics for my mom, i can see why, as it is pleasant, simple, everyday life rendered with delicacy... i still love it...

010815 later addition: i ordered this at the u
Nate D
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
The extraordinary that lurks within the ordinary, but stripped of any glistening of unreality or dread. A man walks, and observes, and it's magic. I feel like this is a good explanation of some of my day-long walks. There's a significant and perfect philosophy here. I would say that I only wished that they needn't be so solitary, but of course the last story here, and some of my best walks, do include a second, key walker...
erforscherin
I like this one very much: a series of little vignettes, mostly silent, about a man walking around Japan having quiet adventures. Lovely, lovingly detailed line art; it makes me wish I could visit again. I think I would have left out the final chapter, though — the art is expressive enough that I’m happier not knowing his thoughts.

(As a side note, I can’t help feeling a bit sorry for the wife in this story, who clearly puts up with a lot. Her husband perpetually must come home late with torn shi
Sophie
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Something that I really have to remember is not to wait so long when a book is calling out to me. I've been wanting to read this for years, I think, and today I finally got the chance to do so. A collection of small moments, it's a very beautiful and quiet book, and one that managed to pull me in completely. There aren't that many words, really, but they're not necessary anyway.

The kind of book that makes you smile and helps you remember to pay attention to the small things - you can find joy a
Laura (ローラ)
The walking man encourages you to forget the pressures of life and enjoy every step of the journey; to appreciate every experience and meeting. This is less a story and more an expression of feelings told through beautifully rendered, compact illustrations. And, can we just appreciate Taniguchi's mastery over screen tones.... this is how it should be done!

The only issues I had are with the publication: flipped pages were entirely unnecessary; and it would have been wonderful seeing some of the w
Greta G
Relaxing indeed.
I nearly fell asleep.
Very ZEN.

photo 712e6cfa-d0b6-4f29-b75d-efdb15632c6d.jpg
Arnav Sinha
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me go out and take a long walk as soon as I was done reading it.

On late summer evenings, I love to lie down on the grass in our garden and look at the stars. I live far from the city, and am fortunate to be able to see the stars clearly. My family takes it as one of my idiosyncrasies. If only I could convey how beautiful the night sky can be. Why watch the TV inside, when you can watch the sky!

I live close to Manali, where my favorite thing to do is to go to a forested area where
Venus Maneater
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faves, manga
It's so beautiful, and soothing. The man looks at life with childlike wonder, picking up broken pieces other people left behind, observing them and rebuilding them. When his wife shows him a seashell that their dog found while digging in the yard, he looks at her lovingly and asks if she wants to go on a trip to the coast to bring the seashell back where it came from. And they do.

It was a lot of fun to follow a man who has never forgotten how to climb trees, or how to sneak into a closed public
Iulia
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was different in every way possible. It’s not even a story... nothing actually happens. That is exactly what this books is trying to capture : the ‘nothing’ happening in between all the big, important things we do. The moments you have to take slowly & enjoy the little things, not rushing for anything. Such a powerful message explained throught image, the little details & simplicity. ...more
Sara Q
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Sara Q by: Mark
A beautiful, peaceful, meditation wrapped in a book. This is the kind of book you have to slow down for, take time with, look at closely. And then when you're done, you go for a walk and see your surroundings with new eyes.
Tasnim Aslam
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A comic book that teaches you how to enjoy the little things of life. Things that really matter and brings real joy.
Anna C
Dec 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Art : 2 stars
Character : 5 stars
Plot : 4 stars
Storytelling : 5 stars
World building : 4 stars

Peaceful. Tranquil. Unpretentious.

Less dialogue and just picture, which is great.
Mark
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was amazing. Almost flaneur-like. Simple stories of wanders. Of simple enjoyment. Of noticing.
Tam G
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
I liked parts of this one very very much. It takes a suburban Japanese businessman and gives him one of my favorite hobbies--walking and observing the world around him. I also enjoyed the very common Japanese-ness of it. The canals and the alleyways and the concrete squares of houses.

I don't think there's an over-reaching theme to this series. I think probably they were released individually for a newspaper or other market. Don't expect the ending to have any finality to it, the best of the cha
alana
Dec 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely book! Taniguchi's drawings of small urban moments are particularly well rendered. I love the way he captures the charm of suburban Japanese neighborhoods that still seem cramped even when they are comparatively spacious to city centers. And he does this in such small frames! Wow. I feel like I have been to every place he draws in the book, and yet he proposes a voyeuristic following of the walking man's perception of his daily surroundings. I've yet to read a Japanese graphic novel ...more
Fredrik Strömberg
A beautiful, quiet story about a Japanese man taking walks in his close surroundings. The images are exquisite in their low-key way of transmitting the feel of his impressions. As a reader, you get sucked into the story and hear the sounds, feel the weather on your skin and start to sense what the nameless man is thinking.

The soft way in which the man experiences his world also made an impression on me, reminding me to enjoy the small moments in life more.

In short: a graphic novel that I have no
Aoi
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
A very unassuming gem of a book. The themes all tie to the charm of everyday unexpected surprises -the beauty of the changing seasons, and the pleasures of lounging on a tree top or swimming in the moonlight.
Cleverly, the author doesn't go down the usual route by contrasting these moments with the daily grind of a salary man's life - a fact so well ingrained with the audience, we can seemingly relate and experience what our nameless protagonist feels.
Sara
Aug 08, 2014 added it
Shelves: manga-gn, set-in-asia
This is a first but I just can't give this book a rating. One star is too little cause it was good, five stars are too much because I didn't like it that much and all of the in between just don't cut it.
Kevin
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful meditation on walking and life, with minimal dialogue, no real plot. If this manga is an accurate depiction of urban Japan it appears to be a pedestrian wonderland. Unlike the city I live in where I feel I take my life in my hands when I get out of my car and try to walk somewhere.
Maureen
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, gekiga
A beautiful book about walking and its daily allowance of solitude. Beautiful artwork, I found this book very calming.
Dustyloup
read it in 2015, gave it 2 stars. read it in the library both times. I just read it in 2017 and I found it sweet and soothing, guess I'm getting old.
Karen Mardahl
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely delightful book that was like meditation with lots of happy smiles. I love Taniguchi's attention to detail in these drawings. Well, I like Taniguchi. That is why I borrowed the book from the library. But I really love this story of, well, just walking around and observing life.

While the man was learning about birds, looking at the sky, sneaking into the pool at night, getting soaked in sudden rainstorms, and more, I was enjoying the pen strokes that revealed details about ordinary
Pao
Letto per la challenge Arsrc18.
Prima volta con Jirō Taniguchi e penso che non sarà l'ultima.
Ci sono storie che disgustano, intristiscono, ci fanno arrabbiare, piangere, battere forte il cuore o ridere e poi ci sono le storie come questa che trasmettono pace e tranquillità. L'autore riesce in questa impresa senza raccontare nulla (la trama è tutta nel titolo) grazie ad un stile di disegno pulito ma attento ai particolari, ai dialoghi ridotti al minimo, alla bellezza delle cittadine giapponesi e a
Vinayak Hegde
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, ebook
A surprisingly calming book about everyday walks of a person around Tokyo. The panels have very less dialogue but the artist is able to convey the feeling of contemplation, nostalgia and anticipation through the panels. The works reminded me of some of the anime movies of Satoshi Kon.

The artwork is brilliant and some panels are photorealistic. You have to check twice whether they are photos. The framing is done brilliantly. It almost evokes the camera angles of a movie. Hence it looks like a mot
Curtis Hayes
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
A short but enjoyable read that I'd recommend to anyone who feels they ought to slow down and appreciate the world around them a little more. I found it effective in getting its point across and I did feel as though I was joining The Walking Man on one of his jaunts at times. On the other hand, I wasn't blown away by it, as I was by Alone by Christophe Chaboute, for example (although I wouldn't be surprised to hear that Chaboute is a fan of Taniguchi). Overall, if you're the sort of person who d ...more
Ian
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this manga is zen as f*ck.

it's about being in the moment.

knowing here. knowing now.

in short it's about some guy walking around his neigborhood.

actually. that sums it up nicely.

give this manga a look. it may enlighten you. or not.

as a side note.

the artist/storteller passed away earlier this year.

T_T

he was the mangaka for the venice louis vuitton travel book.

meaning. he had substance. and style.

get money.
Cat Azevedo
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
With breath taking realistic backgrounds and glimpses of a japanese man's everyday life, this manga is like a little treasure.
It was surprising how much I enjoyed a manga that was pretty much about nothing special; just a guy walking a dog, swimming in the pool at night, etc. It made me want to pay more attention to my surroundings and to strangers, for they may have something special to show me. Also I guess it's the kind of manga that makes us appreciate our boring daily lives more.
Bornfirst
Aug 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
This book was like the manga equivalent of watching an Ozu movie. Nothing really happens in this book. The title sums it all up. A middle aged man who just moved to a new town with his wife, takes walks around the neighborhood. He observes his surroundings, the people, and we observe the world with him. This book is totally zen and I loved it. Who needs character development or story arcs. Taniguchi’s drawings are meticulously detailed and super clean - as zen as the story.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Small Killing
  • Like a Velvet Glove Cast in Iron
  • La casa
  • La virginité passé 30 ans - Souffrances et désirs au quotidien
  • El último vuelo de las mariposas
  • Patience
  • Ceux qui restent  (Les vieux fourneaux, #1)
  • Akira, Vol. 6
  • Cinquemila chilometri al secondo
Name (in native language): 谷口 ジロー
Zodiac: Leo

He began to work as assistant of the late mangaka Kyota Ishikawa.
He made his manga debut in 1970 with Kareta Heya (A Desiccated Summer), published in the magazine Young Comic.
From 1976 to 1979, he created several hard-boiled comics with the scenarist Natsuo Sekigawa, such as City Without Defense, The Wind of the West is White and Lindo 3.
From 1984 to 19