Start by marking “Grandville (Grandville #1)” as Want to Read:
Grandville (Grandville #1)

Grandville

(Grandville #1)

Two hundred years ago, Britain lost the Napoleonic War and fell under the thumb of French domination. Gaining independence after decades of civil disobedience and anarchist bombings, the Socialist Republic of Britain is now a small, unimportant backwater connected by a railway bridge, steampowered dirigible, and mutual suspicion to France. When a British diplomat's murder ...more
Published October 7th 2009 by Dark Horse Books (first published October 6th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Grandville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grandville

Start your review of Grandville (Grandville #1)
Jan Philipzig
Well, this was one gorgeous-looking mess. Combining alternative history with steampunk, the world of Grandville features humanoids with various animal heads, a few servants who look like Tintin, robots, steam-powered carriages, airships, Tarantino-esque violence, countless literary references, and a political conspiracy that echoes 9-11 and the so-called War on Terror. Some of these ingredients actually serve the plot, but most are just designed to look pretty - which they do, as Bryan Talbot's ...more
Mir
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: adventure, graphic
You'd think an action-packed alt-history graphic novel that referenced, among other things I grew up with, Weird Al, Princess Bride, and Tintin would be something I would love, but in fact it was only ok. Fun, but that's all. I might have liked it better without the pop cultural references, in fact, because they were all so damned obvious. I mean, if a person knows one line from UHF it will most likely be the "I don't need no stinkin' badgers" one, right?

Actually that pretty much sums up my fee
Tom Mathews
I'm not usually that big on anthropomorphic characters but the magnificent artwork, dynamic alternate-history steampunk setting and action-packed plot totally sucked me in. If you like subversive plots like V for Vendetta, you should appreciate Grandville. I even forgave the talking animals when I read the line "Badgers? We don' need no steenkin' badgers." I'll definitely be reading more of these.

Hint: Check with your local library to see if they have access to Hoopla digital content.
Bill Lynas
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Bryan Talbot's Grandville is a fast paced, fun romp featuring Scotland Yard Detective Inspector Le Brock pursing bad guys through Paris.
This graphic novel takes inspiration from Arthur Conan Doyle, but gives a new slant on things as all the characters are animals. The artwork is very good & strong enough to carry the story in places without any dialogue. I look forward to reading more of Le Brock's adventures & hope that they are as amusing as this first entry in the series.
Alice In Sunderland
Whitaker
Nov 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Times Online: In a twisty, gripping plot, mined with deep danger, LeBrock uncovers a nasty conspiracy in high places. The contemporary political resonances are sharp and pointed: as an amoral arms dealer remarks, “An empire needs to be at war ... it’s its engine, its driving force ... and ... we need Britain’s oil”. It’s a playful, allusive book in which there’s a witty touch or deliciously knowing in-joke on almost every page: the French press whipping up Anglophobia; LeBrock’s Holmes-like unpa ...more
David Schaafsma
In comparing it to Blacksad, it feels to me like it pales. This is a steampunk story with many sources he names, like Sherlock Holmes and Tintin and many others he pays tribute to, but the art that others so highly praise, I didn't like so much. Maybe because I just made a run though a lot of sketchy style books like Over Easy by Mimi Pond, Mind Mgmt by Matt Kindt, others that feel more real, that I like better. . . I just think it's not quite as good for my taste.
Sam Quixote
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Grandville" is the name of the French city where two detectives go to investigate the murder of a British Ambassador. They dodge street gangs, save a damsel in distress, uncover yet more murders while picking up clues, and avoid being corpses themselves. In short, your usual detective story.

What makes this so much more than average is the stunning artwork Talbot's created. Motorised carriages, robots, airships, antiquated yet futuristic weaponry, panoramic views of Victorian streets populated
Garrett price
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic Victorian thriller! I had no idea what I would think of this story going into it, it’s essentially a Sherlock Holmes-esque murder mystery and also a spy thriller with James Bond moments with the high stakes action. The anthropomorphic characters Lebrock and Ratzi are just as cool and likable as Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson. It’s a fantastic and gritty murder mystery suspense thriller and maybe the best comic Bryan Talbot has done thus far.
Christine
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
It is the what if Nappie won, took over England, oh and everyone is a animal comic you never knew you needed to read.

Okay, honesty, I don't get why all the animals are the same size, and, as always, I have that question about inter breeding, but it is a pretty cool rife on James Bond and Sherlock Holmes. Art work is nice too.
Jan 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
I love this book. Ok its not your normal book to read but there are times when you find something just so totally different and amazing you just cannot read enough of it (you get to the end hoping here is another chapter or a sequel out there). I was aware of the author from my Uni days when as part of the unofficial reading list of my friends "The Adventures of Luther Arkwright" was required reading. The story is face paced and unpredictable, while the penmanship and artwork is fascinating (alw ...more
Ari
Apr 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this. Some Tarantino references were a bit pointless, but there was also some really hilarious. For example reference to Tintin's Milou dog really dropped me to the floor. I read this in Finnish and I hope that the following episodes will be published also. Relax and have fun with this. Excellent way to spend a rainy Sunday afternoon.
Greatkithain
Apr 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I love the political plots and the star character. LeBrock is similar to Sherlock Holmes but more human (what an irony since LeBrock is a badger.
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The alt-history premise is pretty neat, but the hideous digital coloring and the hamfisted "9/11 Was an Inside Job" politics date-stamp this book as extreeeeeeeemely 2005, and not in a good way. The allusions to classic literature and the steampunk trappings get this book compared to "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" frequently, but its references are nowhere near as dense or as well-thought-out as those of "LXG." Why is Snowy from "Tintin" now an Opium addict? I don't know, cuz it's edgy, ...more
Rural Soul
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
I can't wait to get hold of next volumes. Set in a alternate history where Brits lost to French in napoleonic wars. Characters are primarily animals but in rare occasions we see humans too. A hardboiled detective story.
Nigel
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I've always been of the opinion that Bryan Talbot's Adventures Of Luther Arkwright edged out Alan Moore's Watchman as the great monumental comic of the eighties, for all that Arkwright was messy with underground new ave influences as opposed to the stunning, but sterile, formalism of Watchmen. Anyway, Talbot's on my pantheon of greats, and I've been looking forward to trying out his Grandville series, combining as it does, according to the blurb, Conan Doyle, Rubert The Bear and Quentin Tarantin ...more
Emily
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A British badger and his rat partner go to France to solve a murder. Sounds like the beginning of a weird joke, but I really liked this imaginative steampunk adventure. It reminded me of Canales and Guarnido’s Blacksad, which was also a detective story populated by strange humanoid animals (also, it was awesome—read it) but that one is crime noir. Both have incredible artwork and are on the violent side. This one has a wild alternate history and a lot of British lingo.
I don’t remember how this
Raina
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Full-color steampunk graphic novel.
Alternate history where France won the Napoleonic war, so that Britain only won it's independence recently in an anarchist revolution and is now a socialist state.
Sherlock Holmes-style character who solves a mystery involving a government conspiracy.
Tarantino-style violence.
Cameo appearance by Snowy, Tintin's dog.
9/11 allegory.
And every character, besides a few minor servants, have animal heads. Great and famous works of art appear in the background of several
Martine Bailey
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
I came across this when it was praised as a classic at a lecture on Steampunk at Manchester Festival of the Gothic. It’s a beautiful graphic novel, part Tintin, part Sherlock Holmes, part Tarantino with a wild premise – that animals rule the world and Napoleon won the war with England. Wit abounds amidst beautiful, humorous artwork recalling art nouveau, Rupert the Bear’s English village home, a glamorous animalistic Paris and plenty of steampunk gadgets and wizardry. The story itself is well cr ...more
Josh
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
What Blacksad attempts with noir, Grandville attempts with Sherlock Holmes. While not quite as successful as the former, this is still a fun book and I found the two main characters more enjoyable (perhaps because they rely so heavily on Holmes and Watson who I'm quite familiar with). There are apparently many references to other works, but with the exception of UHF I didn't catch them. The final twist would have perhaps played better as a reader-only reveal, but that is a small gripe. The art i ...more
Marcela Křížová
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful steampunk detective romance which is reversing our history into its own and creating nice fast and interesting story. Cool kudos to Mr. Gérard called J. J. Grandville and Mr. Robida. If you are looking for a comics with atmosphere and want to move in time to Paris, then go ahead, cannot recommend more!
Jason
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is what graphic novels/comics are for, great story and excellent artwork with a brilliantly constructed world combining Steampunk and animal characters. Detective inspector Archie LeBrock is now one of my favourite characters and I will now read the next 2 in the series
Ben
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fantastic read with beautiful artwork. Alternate history, conspiracy plots and talking badgers what more could you want?
Jill Kenna
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. The characters are so awesome and very well drawn. I would very much like to read the other four books.
Ana
What do you get when you cross Wind in the Willows, Reservoir Dogs, and Goldfinger?

This crazily violent - and witty - steampunk caper. :o)
Tammie Painter
May 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don't know what I was expecting with this, but I loved it! With a dash steampunk, Sherlock Holmes, thriller, and plenty of anthropomorphized animals, Grandville introduces you to a new world in a fascinating way. The cheeky nods to other similar books was great - including the rare human character looking like he's just walked out of a Tintin comic.

It's a bit violent and there's hints of sex, so if that bothers you, go find something else to read.
Katie McGovern
Apr 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Ugh. This book creeped me out in the way I DON'T like to be creeped out. All of the characters reminded me of Furries which might be your thing but it really, REALLY isn't mine. And it's not just because they're animals, it's the way they're illustrated and sexualized. And what a blatant 9-11 conspiracy allusion. I'm not super-patriotic or anything but it was sort of ridiculous. I was completely let down by the ending to this "mystery." Just not my cup of tea I suppose.
Alex Scales
Jan 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comiiixwoo
Read this the other day and didn't realize a review I had written for this years ago had popped up. Found it highly embarrassing, and I can't find the delete button, so I'm writing this to hide the evidence from all of you. I'm praying no one read it or anything else I post on this site.

Anyways, this book is a furry pulp adventure. I thought the scene with Snowy in the opium den was funny. The coloring sucks.
Glennis
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I'm reading these out of order since I read the third collection for the Hugo ballot and this one is now the first one. Gave me lots of back history to the third volume but was a great story in itself. If you like steampunk, Sherlock Holmes riffs and/or anthropomorphic animals then this is a great story for you. The art is as good as the story and now I will need to track down the second volume and keep my eyes peeled for more set in this universe.
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
An entertaining espionage tale, weakened by ham-fisted 9/11 parallels, moral inconsistencies, and Truther-esque nonsense. It contains a terrific Tintin homage, however, and the art is pleasant, even if the colouring is a bit too digital-looking.
Jamie
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Felt like a lacklustre imitation of the sources it was playing homage to: Sherlock Holmes, Tintin, and especially Blacksad.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Arctic-Nation (Blacksad, #2)
  • Sherlock Frankenstein and the Legion of Evil
  • Bad Weekend
  • Mouse Guard: Fall 1152 (Mouse Guard, #1)
  • Southern Bastards, Vol. 1: Here Was a Man
  • Neonomicon
  • Lost Cat
  • Âme rouge (Blacksad, #3)
  • Amarillo (Blacksad, #5)
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 4: A Foregone Tomorrow
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 3: Hang Up on the Hang Low
  • L'Enfer, le silence (Blacksad, #4)
  • We3
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 2: Split Second Chance
  • The Great Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Graphic Novel (Illustrated Classics)
  • Blacksad (Blacksad, #1-3)
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 6: Reunion
  • Jalatald
Talbot began his comics work in the underground comix scene of the late 1960s. In 1969 his first work appeared as illustrations in Mallorn, the British Tolkien Society magazine, followed in 1972 by a weekly strip in his college newspaper.

He continued in the scene after leaving college, producing Brainstorm Comix, the first three of which formed The Chester P. Hackenbush Trilogy (a character rework

Grandville (5 books)
  • Grandville Mon Amour (Grandville #2)
  • Grandville Bête Noire (Grandville, #3)
  • Grandville Noël (Grandville, #4)
  • Grandville Force Majeure (Grandville, #5)