Start by marking “Who is Jake Ellis?” as Want to Read:
Who is Jake Ellis?

Who is Jake Ellis? (...Jake Ellis? #1)

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  735 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
The multiple-sellout mini-series Newsarama calls "a modern noir package that is not to be missed" and MTV "couldn''t put down".
Jon Moore is a mercenary spy on the run, protected only by Jake Ellis, a man invisible to everyone except Jon.

Collecting: Who Is Jake Ellis? 1-5
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published November 15th 2011 by Image Comics (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Who is Jake Ellis?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who is Jake Ellis?

Sam Quixote
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Ever see The Bourne Identity, Matt Damon’s first Jason Bourne movie from 2002? Good wasn’t it? Yeah, I think Nathan Edmondson liked it too because he’s basically replicated it with Who Is Jake Ellis?

Jon Moore is a secret agent who was experimented on in some mysterious location called The Facility. He has no memory of what was done to him and he’s on the run in Europe with various government organisations like the American CIA after him. He’s gotta use his superhero action movie skills to evade
Jeff
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix
The Voices Inside My Head: Part II

Jon Moore, former CIA analyst, has someone living inside his head. His name is Jake Ellis. Jake helps Jon out of tight situations. He can spot the bad guys before Jon does. He can tell him what’s behind closed doors. He guides him past security cameras. The voices inside my head are only good for telling me that I’m divine, warning me that everyone’s out to get me and letting me know when it’s okay to wear my orange swim dress.

How did Jake happen to end up in
Jan Philipzig
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: image, noir, espionage
Stylish in a very controlled and cold way, but underdeveloped, generic, clichéd, and ultimately forgettable. Think Jacob's Ladder or Bourne Identity, just not as good.
Sesana
Oct 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a solid espionage thriller, with one big twist: the voice that directs Jon on his missions doesn't come from an earpiece, but from inside his own head. Since escaping from the mysterious Facility, Jon has been sharing his head with Jake Ellis, and Jake has been the brains of their operation. And now, it's time to face the Facility.

This is a really absorbing read, with great action and plenty of mystery. At the end of the book, there's still lots of questions left unanswered, and a sense
Julio Bonilla
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What would Jason Bourne's conscience look like? Think about that as you read this pulse-pounding thriller of a graphic novel!

Ex-CIA analyst Jon Moore is being hunted. A ghost, Jake Ellis, guides him to safety. Could this be Jon's imaginary friend? Why is he being hunted? FIND OUT!
Gavin
Sep 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
OK see, THIS, I like. I'm not sure what it's in the vein of, but it's kinda spy/thriller/Memento/Bourne.

Jon Moore is a CIA-op, Jake Ellis is his partner. However...Jake's not really there...or is he? All Jon knows is that Jake can help get him out of just about any jam and has all kinds of senses before things happen (pretty handy in a wingman.)

Who is Jon really? Who is Jake really? Where/What is the Facility? Is this happening for real?

I don't want to go much more into it than that, but Ya. Coo
Joseph
May 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
What an excellent, fast paced series. Great thriller.
Rose
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Comic lovers who enjoy thriller/suspense spy stories
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Image Comics
"Who Is Jake Ellis?" is a five issue comic combined in this single volume, about a rogue agent on the run from authorities who subjected him to experimental treatments. Jon Moore has been on the run for four years, living incognito alongside an odd presence that exists in his consciousness - a man named Jake Ellis. Jake knows his way around combat and defense, and aims to protect Jon from harm by using his knowledge to warn Jon of danger before its strikes.

When Jon's suddenly approached by agen
Mike
Sep 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Argh! I recently read the Who Is Jake Ellis? series and I’m completely torn on how to rate it. In fact, I’m going to forgo my standard pros/cons list and just go with a gut check.

There’s nothing necessarily “bad” about this comic series. It’s a genuinely fun spy/mystery story that plays out like a really good movie (complete with some clever twists and interesting dialogue). At the same time though, I can’t help but wonder if it’ll stand the test of time. In 3 years, will people remember it? Wi
Kurt
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
A lot of people have imaginary friends. Even, it seems, spies. In this case, Jon Moore, our protagonist, seems untouchable, always one step ahead of the bad guys, and he owes it all to the voice in his head: Jake Ellis, who guides Jon and knows a lot of stuff to the point of maybe being psychic but needs Jon's help to figure out who he is. This, in practice, makes for a lot of staccato dialogue during action sequences ("Run to the left! Duck! Pick that guy's pocket! Two minutes until the police ...more
Skye Kilaen
Apr 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Jon Moore is former spy on the run, now working as a mercenary. He has an edge many in his profession don't. That edge is Jake Ellis, a ghost, or possibly a hallucination, who appears only to Jon.

Things are going passably well until some very scary people start chasing them, and it becomes crucial to find out what the government did to Jon four years ago - and who Jake really is. I have such a hard time figuring out what else I can tell you without spoilers!

SO I'll just say that I love Tonči Zo
Adam Connell
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jake Ellis is a great Graphic Novel, not to be missed.

Most Graphic Novels, days and days after you’ve read them, they make less and less sense. Not so with “Who Is Jake Ellis?” This GN makes more and more sense.

Nathan Edmondson’s writing is fun and precise, tough when it needs to be, and always original.

Tonci Zonjic’s artwork is beautiful, spare, evocative. He has a way with light and shadow that borders on the magical. He tells the story with as few lines and as little detail as possible, and t
Joe Young
Apr 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nathan Edmondson - writer
Tonci Zonjic - illustrator

Jon Moore is a mercenary spy on the run. With the C.I.A., former clients he's betrayed, and a mysterious shadow organization all hot on his trail, it's a good thing Jon has a secret weapon - Jake Ellis, a mysterious, protective figure invisible to everyone but Jon. As the net closes around Jon he is forced to question everything about himself. Who is Jake Ellis and why can only Jon see him? Is Jake a figment of his imagination? But if that's the
Chad
Jul 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I liked the premise and the story. The art was great, reminded me of David Aja's run on Hawkeye. The only thing I didn't care for was the ending. It felt rushed, like the book had been cancelled and they had to tie everything up in one issue. My favorite thing I've read from Nathan Edmondson.
Vittorio Rainone
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chi è Jake Ellis è un eccitante film d'azione e spionaggio a la "Bourne" fatto a fumetto, con scene adrenaliniche, sparatorie e inseguimenti mozzafiato, oltre a una interessante ipotesi sci-fi: la presenza che si trova nella testa di Jon Moore, criminale ed ex analista CIA, lo avverte dei pericoli incombenti con infallibile precisione e sembra derivare da misteriosi esperimenti condotti su di lui quattro anni or sono. Il problema è che nè Jon, nè la presenza, che dice di chiamarsi Jake, hanno id ...more
Jason
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Reminded me of Claire North's Touch for some reason. A great hook, keeps you interested in reading more.
Terry Mulcahy
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fascinating. Faced paced, plenty of action, but a good, engaging storyline as well. A mystery there that needs to be solved; partial resolution in this volume, just enough to keep one reading more.
Khrail
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a bit suprised and amazed in finding this illustrated novel/comic. Totally hooked at every panel as the story progress. Glad I found it and bought it ASAP.
Dani Shuping
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
copy provided by NetGalley

Jon is meeting with a group of...let’s call them gangsters shall we? when things seem to be going to hell. Any normal person would have fallen to a gunshot or to flames, but Jon isn’t normal. He can see and talk to Jake Ellis. A mysterious entity that only he can see, but who provides up-to-date information and warns Jon when things are about to happen. But who is Jake Ellis? And how come only Jon can see him? That’s what both of them are trying to figure out, as they a
Kashish
Feb 19, 2016 rated it liked it
[reaction to the first few pages of the story]

Our protagonist seems like normal, out-of-the-fantasy-mill super spy who is in between a meeting with two guys.

But wait, why is he giving nonsense replies?

Oh now, he's talking to himself.

Okay. Not weird at all.

Wait, why are people shooting? Why is he running? Is he being hunted? Maybe by his own people, maybe not. Maybe it's the people he screwed for money, or maybe it's something else.

Wait, why is he still talki- Oh wow! Where did this fella ap
Angel
Wow! I picked this up, and I could not put it down. Jon Moore is a simple man, a CIA analyst who becomes a dark ops operative. How does he do it? He has a friend who is a real agent man helping him along the way called Jake Ellis. There is just one little detail: only Jon can see Jake, so who is Jake Ellis? That is part of the mystery in this series. In this installment, Jake gets Jon to come out into the open to go back to a place called the Facility, where apparently Jake and him were experime ...more
Bookstorequeer
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I very much enjoyed this one! The mystery is well-written and really kept me going. The colouring was also fascinating to look at, especially how they alternated colours while in different settings (having a red wash every other panel to show the flashing of an alarm). It was visually interesting and also intellectually gripping.

I felt like I was coming midway into a story but except for the very first scene shift (which threw me off completely), it all made sense and I felt like I was figuring
Cale
Aug 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Now this is a novel spy/thriller graphic novel. The lead, Jon Moore, is an agent with a conscience. Or at least a voice (and image) in his head that is very useful for surviving unpleasant situations. Who it is, and why it is there, and what both of them want to do about it, is what makes up the story, and it reads very well. A little predictable, but in such a novel situation, it's good to have some familiar tropes to grasp. The art is well done - recognizable without going for an excess of det ...more
47Time
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics-thriller
Brilliant premise! Jon, a CIA agent, is bonded in a secret facility to Jake Ellis and is the only one who can hear and see him. Jake is clearly more adept at the spy trade than Jon, but together they are unbeatable. Their goal is to find out what happened to them, so they need to return to the facility that experimented on them.

I couldn't put this comic down once I started it. The artwork is as dynamic as the story and the dialogue between the two main characters is specially fun and engaging. Y
I originally picked this up because I was curious to read something that Nathan Edmondson wrote before the recently-completed Black Widow run. Who is Jake Ellis? sucks you in right from the start; it's incredibly engaging. I feel like, as in many mystery/suspense storylines, the unknown is more appealing than the reveal. I'm also glad that I read this all in one go; otherwise, I would've felt a little bit short-changed by how slim the story feels. Just on excitement value, though, I'm looking fo ...more
Brion Salazar
May 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Just picked this up yesterday and sped though it today. I enjoyed the mystery behind the title and it hurried me through the story as I tried to figure it out. The ending was a little surprising, but also a touch underwhelming. Still a good read. Worth the cost for the artwork alone. Tonci Zonjic's (or To-Zo) linework is stunning in it's simplicity. I was amazed at how much character he derives in a face with just a few lines. Overall a good read and a book that I will go back over in detail so ...more
Jimmy Brown
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great action-thriller from Nathan Edmondson that is in turns exciting and intriguing with fantastic art by Tonči Zonjić. The talented Croatian artist draws everything clearly and makes the action sequences jump out of the page. The story drags ever so slightly and if reading this in a five issue monthly basis, I can see that may be a problem for some. Reading it in one go, though and such minor quibbles can be forgiven.
Brendan Nicholls
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the art and the fast paced story. My main issue was the handling of the overall arc, it just left everything without purpose. The part where Jon abandons Ellis to save his own skin, that didn't play that well for me. The mythology could grow into something special but this origin story really lacks the strength to warrant many following chapters. Has huge potential but includes pitfalls.
Mike Jensen
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
This book collects the first five issues of the comic series. For the first four issues I thought it was pretty well done for the type of story it is, but it is a type of story I do not like, then the ending was a real let down. It just kind of peters out. Perhaps that will seem worthwhile if one reads the sixth issue. Was there a sixth issue? Perhaps, but at this point it does not seem worth finding out.
Katherine
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Fast paced and oh so intriguing. Starting off with a scene that looks straight out of a spy movie and then morphs into something that seems out of science fiction. A relationship is built up between the two characters that seems impossible and then is shown to be not only possible but impressive. I LOVED this tpb and recommend it as one to read any time someone is thinking of venturing into the world of graphic novels.
Geeks and Books: February - Who is Jake Ellis? 1 3 Feb 24, 2012 09:15AM
  • Zero, Vol. 1: An Emergency

...Jake Ellis? (2 books)
  • Where is Jake Ellis?

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
  • The Dressmaker's Dowry
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club
  • Grit
  • Fatal Tide
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trinity Game (The Game Trilogy Book 1)
  • Live by Night
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Story
  • The Lost Girls
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Summer (Darling Investigations #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Supreme Justice (Reeder and Rogers #1)