Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

2012 Challenge Archive > 2012 March Pick It For Me! Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 653 (653 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

message 1: by D.G. (last edited Feb 27, 2012 01:58PM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments What is the Pick-It-For-Me Challenge?

SIGNUPS ARE CLOSED

The Pick-It-For-Me Challenge (PIFM) is a reading challenge where each participant gives and receives book recommendations based on a given a set of rules. The assignment method and book selection rules change each month so it’s always new and always different.

After signups are closed, I'll put your names and any extra info I’ve required into the super secret PIFM randomizer and select someone for you to choose for. This will get posted along with the rules for the month.

Whilst you're doing your picks, someone else is doing picks for you. Once you receive them, you pick a book off the list and get reading. To complete the challenge, you only have to read 1 (one) book but many of us end up reading more because we just can't resist a list of books to read.

In order to participate you need to either HAVE YOUR PROFILE SET TO PUBLIC (preferable), or make the person who will be giving you recommendations, your friend. On top of that, I strongly recommend keeping your bookshelves updated; otherwise you might end up with a recommendation that you have already read.

Everything gets done in this thread so be sure to come back often!!!

INFORMATION NEEDED TO SIGN UP
Please sign up in this thread with the answer to the following question:

**Which came first: the chicken or the egg?**
Other answers are welcome as long as they are creative.

IMPORTANT DATES

You’ll have until March 1st (4pm) EST to make your recommendations.

You then have till the end of the month to read your pick and give some feedback.

If you’re new please read the challenge specific FAQ. If you have any questions that are not addressed there, please feel free to ask!

message 2: by D.G. (last edited Apr 03, 2012 12:30PM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments PIFM Crazy Pairings!!

- Chickens will be picking for eggs and eggs will be picking for chickens.

- If I didn't understand your answer from your signup post, I assigned you to the team with the fewest members.

- Please pick for the person below you, i.e. Jessica picks for Shell who picks for Nancy. The last person will pick for the first person in the group so Dragana picks for Jessica.

- If you aren't sure where you are on the list please click on the links to double check that it indeed goes to your profile. For people with the same names and no identifying symbols, I've added their user names. :)

- If your profile is private either set it to public or add the person picking for you as your friend.

- Picks are due by March 1st, 4 pm EST

Letter after your name denotes your team. :)
{c} = Team Chicken
(e) = Team Egg

REPICKS
Fran (e) picks for ✓ Erin {c}

-------------------------------------------------
✓ Person has given picks
✤ Person has read picks
Updated through post #667 (final update)

COMPLETERS: 62/81 (77%)

Jessica {c}
✓✤ Shell (e)
✓✤ Nancy {c}
✓✤ KarenH (e)
✓✤ Mounika {c}
Megan (Private) (e)
Michelle {c}
✓✤ taita (e)
✓✤ Laura {c}
✓✤ Vi (e)
✓✤ Lexa {c}
✓✤ Reetuparna (e)
Eimeriina~ {c}
✓✤ Diane ~Firefly~ (e)
✓✤ Rena {c}
Roxy (e)
✓✤ Valerie {c}
Sallie (Shuga) (e)
Isabella {c}
✓✤ Jojo (e)
✓✤ Lauren (Azkaban2010) {c}
✓✤ Ruth Ann (e)
✓✤ Alyssa {c}
✓✤ Mandy (e)
✓✤ Coffeentea {c}
✓✤ Macwolf01 [Elise] (e)
Marissa-dono {c}
Shea (e)
✓✤ Amy J. {c}
✓✤ ♡KarLynP♡ (e)
✓✤ Leslie {c}
✓✤ Fran (e)
✓✤ Cheryl {c}
✓✤ Christine (e)
✓✤ Susan (susayq) {c}
✓✤ Nici (e)
Sana {c}
✓✤ Iris (e)
✓✤ Dawn {c}
Ankita (Private) (e)
✓✤ Erin {c}
✓✤ Mountainkat (e)
✓✤ Gigi {c}
Aleksandra (e)
✓✤ Sandy {c}
✓✤ Skandia (e)
✓✤ Cathy {c}
✓✤ Ana (e)
✓✤ Elke {c}
✓✤ Heather (e)
✓✤ Photojim {c}
✓✤ Pollyanna (e)
Melissa {c}
✓✤ Lady Jaye (e)
✓✤ Yz {c}
✓✤ D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ (e)
✓✤ Miss {c}
✓✤ Tiffanny (e)
✓✤ Dawn (Kat N Hat) {c}
Sara (e)
✓✤ Lacy (Private) {c}
✓✤ Brett (e)
✓✤ Megan L {c}
✓✤ Kami (e)
✓✤ ~Megan~ {c}
✓✤ Dee (e)
Suzanne {c}
Valerie ~Varuca~ (e)
Sue {c}
✓✤ Carla (e)
✓✤ Penney {c}
✓✤ Rikisha (e)
Kate {c}
✓✤ Pam (e)
✓✤ Melissa ** {c}
Debbie (e)
✓✤ Grace {c}
✓✤ Mommaseymour (e)
✓✤ Lauren (aplpeach) {c}
✓✤ Joyce (e)
Regina {c}
✓✤ Dragana (e)

message 3: by D.G. (last edited Feb 27, 2012 12:51PM) (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments PICKING RULES: MARCH MADNESS

In the US, March Madness refers to a college basketball tournament which each weekend cuts three-fourths of the teams, from a Round of 64, to a "Sweet Sixteen", to a "Final Four".

You must give your pickee at least 2 selections from their TBR and 2 that are completely new to them.

1. Mad as a March hare: Book with an original premise, a funky title or set in Canada

2. Non Compos Mentis: Book with a plot that deals with the law, religion or magic

3. (Not So) Sweet 16: Book published at least 16 years ago, with an alpha male or with a main character that's over 40.

4. The lights are on, but nobody's home: Go to your GR recommendations and find a book that you think your pickee would enjoy but that you've never heard about before.

5. Elite 8: Book with a sports theme (go Eli!) or a best seller/super popular book

6. Nutty as a fruitcake: Recommend a book from a genre your pickee wouldn't usually read, a book you thought you wouldn't like that you ended up enjoying or a funny/light read.

7. Final 4: Post apocalyptic book, latest book published by one of your pickee's favorite authors, book published on a leap year

8. Neither rhyme nor reason: Go to your pickee's TBR, go to a page at random, and pick the first book that caught your fancy (no thinking!) If by any chance that book is #19 in a series which your pickee hasn't started, pick another page and try again.

9. Buddy Read...Chicken or Egg?
If you are from Team Chicken {c}, recommend a standalone you think both of you would like to read.

If you are from Team Egg (e), recommend a 1st in a series that you'd both like to read.

Please Note: The buddy read recommendation is NOT optional. If you cannot do the buddy read, you must still recommend this, just let the person you are picking from that you won't be able to do read them with them.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments i'm going to say egg...just to kick things off

message 6: by Penney (new)

Penney (pschoener) | 3553 comments Just to be contrary I'll say chicken :)

message 7: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 349 comments Chicken

message 8: by Iris (new)

Iris (ipro) | 277 comments Just so Dee won't be the odd man out for now, I'll say egg. lol

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow, this is random, Chicken!

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments The Chicken came first, because if it was the egg, it would have been eaten and there would be no more chicken or eggs.

message 11: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments But Lauren, if it was chicken, then the chicken would have been eaten when they haven't seen a chicken lay egg before. So I'll say egg.

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments Vi wrote: "But Lauren, if it was chicken, then the chicken would have been eaten when they haven't seen a chicken lay egg before. So I'll say egg."

Tuché, I never thought of it like that.

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments Lauren wrote: "Vi wrote: "But Lauren, if it was chicken, then the chicken would have been eaten when they haven't seen a chicken lay egg before. So I'll say egg."

Tuché, I never thought of it like that."

OOps Touché

message 14: by SandyC (new)

SandyC (sandyc88) | 1281 comments I'm in and I'll say chicken.

message 15: by Shell (new)

Shell | 2 comments The egg, which promptly turned green so it could go with ham. :)

message 16: by ~KarenH~, Moderator (new)

~KarenH~ | 7127 comments Ok, keep in mind this is coming from someone who spent way too much of her childhood playing with logic puzzles and chemistry sets - The egg came first because assuming the first chicken was a mutation from some other species, the first chicken came from an egg, but the first egg didn't come from a chicken! :)

message 17: by Vi (new)

Vi | 2012 comments I think the same too, KarenH. If it's evolution it totally makes sense.

message 18: by Mandy (new)

Mandy (mandypants) I'm in and am on team egg.

message 19: by MountainKat, Moderator (new)

MountainKat | 20303 comments I am so in! Chickens come from eggs.

message 20: by Amanda (new)

Amanda The Book Slayer (amanda_the_book_slayer) | 63 comments Maybe they both appeared at the same time. lol

message 21: by Irina (new)

Irina (reetu_416) | 504 comments i'm going to say the egg gave a beginning to the chickens..

message 22: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacy_stewart) | 1865 comments I am in. There aren't to many chickens in here yet, so I will say chicken.

message 23: by Kami (last edited Feb 20, 2012 08:43AM) (new)

Kami (aidansmama) | 973 comments I'm in. I agree with Karen H. I think the egg came first laid by a dinosaur.

message 24: by Rishika (new)

Rishika | 136 comments I am going to say the egg came first, so i am in...

message 25: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I'll say chicken. Don't know wny. : )

message 26: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 19860 comments I can't play! I won't be around for the pairing and picks :(

Have fun everyone! (I would have said 'egg' by the way ;)

message 27: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawn_e) | 157 comments I'm in! I say chicken

message 28: by Pollyanna (new)

Pollyanna (polly8) | 300 comments I'm in and I say the egg came first :)

message 29: by Lady Jaye (new)

Lady Jaye (lady-jaye) | 140 comments I'm in. The egg came first.

message 30: by Regina (new)

Regina Polli | 177 comments I`m in. I say chicken

message 31: by Dragana (new)

Dragana (diaryofthebookdragon) Kami wrote: "I agree with Karen H. I think the egg came first laid by a dinosaur."

I agree. Team egg. :)

message 32: by Marissa (new)

Marissa (mdawnh96) I'll go with Chicken just because the Eggs seem to really outnumber the Chickens

message 33: by Fran, Moderator (new)

Fran | 11052 comments I'm in and I will go with egg.

message 34: by Diane ~Firefly~ (new)

Diane ~Firefly~ | 1438 comments I'm in and am going with egg

message 35: by ~Leslie~ (new)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 1934 comments I'm on Team Chicken!

message 36: by Megan L (new)

Megan L Harnett | 806 comments I am in this month and I think I will say Chicken.

message 37: by taita (new)

taita I'm in this month. Is say egg. Hmm... now I want an egg sandwich.

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments I am confused a little, who do we know who we pick for and who is picking for us?

message 39: by Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (last edited Feb 24, 2012 05:19PM) (new)

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (shuga) | 1080 comments im going with egg

message 40: by Elke (new)

Elke (ejurca) | 1810 comments I'm in!! I say chicken!

message 41: by D.G. (new)

D.G. | 4477 comments Lauren wrote: "I am confused a little, who do we know who we pick for and who is picking for us?"

Lauren - Everything is explained in the first post, second paragraph:

After signups are closed, I'll put your names and any extra info I’ve required into the super secret PIFM randomizer and select someone for you to choose for. This will get posted along with the rules for the month.

Lauren (aplpeach) (aplpeach) | 176 comments D.G. ~Shameless Hussy~ wrote: "Lauren wrote: "I am confused a little, who do we know who we pick for and who is picking for us?"

Lauren - Everything is explained in the first post, second paragraph:

After signups are closed, I..."

Thank you. I reread that a bunch of times, I have a slight learning disability and miss things sometimes when reading.

message 43: by Dawn (Kat N Hat) (new)

Dawn (Kat N Hat) (katnhat) | 280 comments I have no clue which is first but I am going to join the chicken team, because I would rather eat chicken first than eggs.

message 44: by Susan (susayq ~) (new)

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 720 comments I'm gonna say the chicken

message 45: by Debbie (new)

Debbie  (db_debber) | 2757 comments I am in and I'll say egg

message 46: by Brett (new)

Brett | 478 comments I'm in and I agree with Kami. Egg laid by a dinosaur

message 47: by Erin (new)

Erin (erin-b) I'm in and, since I just had some for lunch, I'll say chicken.

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7316 comments plus I always eat eggs during the day before I would have chicken...therefore the egg came first in my stomach ;)

message 49: by Alexis (new)

Alexis (LexaReads) | 375 comments I'm in I'm going to have to say chicken :)

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne (esmerelda1) | 2052 comments I like Vi's answer, I'm going to say Chicken too! Oh and I'm in! Now I'm hungry for KFC...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 13 14