What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > 2 girl protagonists either solving mysteries or going on fantasy adventures

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Summer Rae (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:43PM) (new)

Summer Rae Garcia | 2 comments I am looking for a young adult book that has 2 girl protagonists. My niece said something about it, so I don't have much to go on. 2 girls either solving mysteries or going on fantasy adventures. Sorry not much info, but I couldn't even think of a book with 2 girls as the heroes.

message 2: by Yvette (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Yvette | 19 comments Is this a new book or something written a while back?

message 3: by Summer Rae (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:46PM) (new)

Summer Rae Garcia | 2 comments Not exactly sure, but my niece is 10, so it isn't too old.

message 4: by Laura (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:47PM) (new)

Laura | 6 comments could it be the sisters grimm: fairy tale detectives?

message 5: by LauraW (new)

LauraW (LauraLynnWalsh) | 370 comments The Wild Girls by Pat Murphy? Great book, if you haven't read it.

It’s 1972. Twelve-year-old Joan is sure that she is going to be miserable when her family moves. Then she meets a most unusual girl. Sarah prefers to be called “Fox,” and lives with her author dad in a rundown house in the middle of the woods. The two girls start writing their own stories together, and when one wins first place in a student contest, they find themselves recruited for a summer writing class taught by the equally unusual Verla Volante. The Wild Girls brilliantly explores friendship, the power of story, and how coming of age means finding your own answers.

Whoops, it can't be that - too recent.

message 6: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 93 comments Oh my, I'm sure there are a ton out there that would fit.
The first thing that comes to mind are the Trixie Belden books. Similar in concept to Nancy Drew only its two girls. I was addicted to them when I was little.

message 7: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6983 comments Mod
Actually the Trixie Belden books have more than just 2 girls--there are also a couple of boys and they call themselves the Bobwhites. They use the call from the bird for different things--locating each other, when they are in trouble, etc.

There is also Zilpha Keatley Snyder's The Changling (sorry, couldn't find it on GR) which is about 2 girls. Go to Amazon and do a search for the author and you'll find it fairly quickly. And its for girls about your niece's age.

message 8: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 107 comments This is probably a little young for your niece, but the Rainbow Magic Fairies series has two girls, best friends, who have adventures with fairies.

The Betsy-Tacy books are about two friends, but there's no mystery or fantasy element.

message 9: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments Ann, here's a link to Snyder's The Changeling.

There's a book I read when I was 8 or 9 about a girl who meets another girl who claims to be a witch and who involves her in various escapades... I don't remember the title but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in one of the entries for this group by someone looking for a kid's book about witches.

Another more fantasy-heavy book with two girls as main characters is Un Lun Dun by China Mieville.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 220 comments Or it could be The Egypt Game, also by Zilpha Keatley Snyder.

The first time Melanie Ross meets April Hall, she's not sure they'll have anything in common. But she soon discovers that they both love anything to do with ancient Egypt. When they stumble upon a deserted storage yard behind the A-Z Antinques and Curio Shop, Melanie and April decide it's the perfect sport for the Egypt Game.

Before long there are six Egyptians instead of two. After school and on weekends they all meet to wear costumes, hold ceremonies, and work on their secret code.

Everyone thinks it's just a game, until strange things begin happening to the players. Has the Egypt Game gone too far?

message 11: by Carmen (last edited Aug 24, 2009 04:43PM) (new)

Carmen | 46 comments The Mystery of the Third Lucretia and Rescuing Seneca Crane by Susan Runholt.

The protagonists are two American girls that travel with the mother of one of them through the States and Europe and solve mysteries.

They are really good books.

message 12: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (Iftcan) | 6983 comments Mod
OOOHHH Miriam--is the one you are thinking about have a toad in it? And the girl who says she's a witch has the other girl doing weird things so that she can also become a witch? There's something about giving up a food you love--and the "witchy" girl gives up watermelons--and the other girl thinks that's weird because watermelons aren't in season--but at the end of the time period for them giving up the food--the witchy one brings in a ripe watermelon and shares it with her friend. I too can't remember the name of this (altho I'm sure I've probably got it somewhere around the house)

message 13: by Michelle (last edited Aug 24, 2009 08:55PM) (new)

Michelle (michellemulford) | 112 comments Ann, I think the book you are remembering is Jennifer, Hecate, Macbeth, William McKinley and Me, Elizabeth by E. L. Konigsburg.

As for the OP, maybe The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey, or Palace of Mirrors?

message 14: by Miriam (new)

Miriam | 681 comments Yes, Ann and Michelle, that was the book I was thinking of!

Srae, how about The Two Princesses of Bamarre or Wren to the Rescue? I don't recall if Wren is alone for part of the book but I know it is here and the princess together for some of the story.

message 15: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 21766 comments Mod
Summer Rae, are you still looking for this or did you find it?