Start by marking “The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #1)

The Two Princesses of Bamarre

(The Two Princesses of Bamarre #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  66,200 ratings  ·  2,386 reviews
Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a thrilled audience of Addie, their govern ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Eos (first published March 20th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Two Princesses of Bamarre, please sign up.
Ashley Stangl No, it's set in a different world with very different magical creatures. However, there is a prequel, "The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre" coming out later t…moreNo, it's set in a different world with very different magical creatures. However, there is a prequel, "The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre" coming out later this yeat.(less)

·  66,200 ratings  ·  2,386 reviews

Start your review of The Two Princesses of Bamarre (The Two Princesses of Bamarre, #1)
Cristina Monica

Follow Princess Addie as she is overcoming her fears in order to find a cure for her sister who had the mischance to fall into the claws of the Gray Death. This is a charming adventure brimming with princesses, dragons, elves, fairies, ogres, sorcerers and magic! Over and above that, it explores the themes of sisterly love and courage. Even a coward can be transformed into a knight. It can absolutely make a beautiful storytelling for children.
Emilyn
Feb 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Maddie
Jul 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THAT BOOK!!!!!!
Wren (fablesandwren)
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

Starting off the new year correctly with a book about two sisters. One sister is a courageous blonde ready to find the cure to Sir Grey Death and the other is a brunette who is a coward who has to find her strength.

Meryl is the older sister. She dreams of fighting the dragons and rescuing her people from all the foes, including those small enough like Sir Grey Death.

The Grey Death is a long, drawn out processes that eventually kills its victim. With the cure prophesied, there i
Brigid ✩
Feb 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves Ella Enchanted
I love this book!!! Even though Ella Enchanted is Gail Carson Levine's most well-known book, I think that The Two Princesses of Bamarre is her best book. It's really exciting, but also well-written. If you love Ella Enchanted, this is the book for you.
Naomi Brist
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've grown up with this story. To say that it has had an impact on my life is an incredible and unforgivable understatement. Everyone knows this author because of Ella Enchanted, but I believe that this book is much, much greater. It has romance, monsters, action, magic, and adventure; all things that people look for and enjoy in a good book. But what really makes this story great is not any of those things. What makes it great is how a young woman who is afraid of everything ventures out into a ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: girls who are into those wimpy Disney princesses and anyone who wants to read a good adventure
Shelves: young-adult
This book is so good!

It did take me a while to get into it. The first half or so of the book is kind of slow going. Two sisters. One is bold. One is shy. Yawn.

But then in the middle, when the shy sister has to leave the castle to save her beloved sister's life, it gets REALLY exciting. Specters. Gryphons. Dragons. Battles. WOW! I could hardly put it down at that point.

There's also a story within a story, a legend of the kingdom, and it is as well done as the main story.

The almost end had me bawl
Victoria Lynn
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I actually liked this one better than Ella Enchanted or Fairest. Now one of my fave fantasy stories!
Cori
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Loved the sibling dynamic of this book. I read this years ago, but that still sticks out to me.
C.B. Cook
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, own, favorites
Review to come!
Sabrina Stoutamyer
Nov 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the first fantasy novels I ever read. It's one I loved from beginning to end, and it's one that I never tire of reading over and over again. It's the only book I've read more times than I can count on my one hand and several more on the other. This is an awesome read with great morals about finding courage in a world that is against you doing so. It's about family and the beauty of being there for each other, even if you're not quiet the same. It's got poetry, dragons, action ...more
Sydney Cornwall
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: eng-356
Gabs {My Full Bookshelf Reviews}
I didn't think that Gail Carson Levine could write anything more spectacular than Ella Enchanted. I'm not going to say that The Two Princesses of Bamarre was better than Ella Enchanted, but it definitely was as good as it.

Addie and Meryl had such a great relationship. I loved reading about them, and how Addie was willing to risk her life to save her sister from the Gray Death.

Rhys...sigh. Oh, Rhys. He's a very attractive sorceror, and I loved him! Gail Carson Levine created a romance that wasn
Katie
I THINK I read this before, but I can't say for sure.

Anyway, this was good, but I don't think it entirely holds up for an adult reader. I needed the relationships to be fleshed out more, both the romance and the sibling relationship.

But I did like the bare bones of the story a lot.

Re-read February 2016

Hahaha, well, this time I KNOW I read it before, but I couldn't remember much at all about it until I started reading. Then I remembered more.

I do think it's not quite subtle enough for my adult ta
✿ℎazℯℓ - thℯ ℛock Cℎick ℱairy✿
Someone wise once said, “Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision.” Today, I applaud just how true this statement is.

This book should be read by everyone, especially the young ones. It’s one great adventure and it teaches valuable life lessons! Princesses Meryl and Addie each know their strengths. I am pleased to report that at the end of the book, they find out that they are capable of doing more! Personally, my favorite is Addie’s transformation from a scaredy cat to a warrior princess.. and
Megan
Jan 23, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This book was really cute! It's written in the first person, which was a change, as few of the books I read are, and the protagonist of the story is Princess Addie, a sweet but cowardly girl who couldn't be more different than her sister, Meryl. Princess Meryl is courageous and longs for adventures where she can kill dragons, gryphons, and ogres. Addie would rather stay safe at home and wishes for peace, not wars like her sister. The two are even opposites in appearance. Addie has dark brown hai ...more
Audrey
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favortie-books
At first, I thought that since this book was going to be too princess-y, and medieval time-ish, I asked myself, "Why bother?"

My conscious had told me, "Suck it up and read it fool. You'll like it. You always like princesses, now."

And I did. Like it, I mean. This wonderful, original story has been on of my favorites. I loved it! I don't remember much, but I do remember about the princess thinking she was frail, weak, not strong at all like the older one, going on a bunch of journeys. She had
Haley S
In one of my very early post, I listed some of my favorite books. This book was, and still is, on that list! From the first time I read this to the most current, I still am intrigued every time I turn the first page. I mean, monsters, diseases, poems, heroes, dangers, desperation, romance—those few words definitely mean it has to be a good book.

Gail Carson Levine is just an amazing author. I love her books, Ella Enchanted and Ever. They are great. However, I can’t say that this is my favorite ou
Katie
Step follows step,
Hope follows Courage,
Set your face towards danger,
Set your heart on victory.

This was one of my favorite books growing up - I love the focus on the strength of family bonds and the idea that you can be afraid, yet still be brave and strong.
Rachel :)
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, easy-to-read, feel-good fantasy.
Jessica
Sep 19, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 12 And Up
Shelves: fantasy
Cute and funny (like all of Gail Carson Levine's books! :D)!!

Gail Carson Levine here creates a fairy tale of her own and gives it a characteristic grrrl-power twist. Twelve-year-old Addie admires her older sister Meryl, who aspires to rid the kingdom of Bamarre of gryphons, specters, and ogres. Addie, on the other hand, is fearful even of spiders and depends on Meryl for courage and protection. Waving her sword Bloodbiter, the older girl declaims in the garden from the heroic epic of Drualt to a
Molly Murphy
Ok, the whole book, the whole great book, was RUINED by the horrible ending.
First of all, I like that Meryl, the daring, adventurous, passionate one, was small. I love it when the small people are like that. Also, I love that Meryl was the oldest 'cause a lot of people protray the oldest as some wimpy, over-mature person who never gets into any adventures. Finally, the firstborn is the spitfire!
And then I liked the twists, that Addie had to go and conquer all of her fears and learn to be stron
Kaitlin
Dec 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorite-s
Two sisters.
A fate unknown.
Love.
An adventure of a lifetime.
Meekness to bravery.

The Two Princesses of Bamarre is nothing short of perfect.

A story of the great love between sisters who couldn't be more different than day and night.

Meryl, strong-willed and anxious to enter the world of battle and adventure, dreams of leaving the palace to hunt down the Gray Death.

Addie, meek and timid rather stay safely inside the palace walls determined to dodge every spider in the palace. But when something t
Mari
Jul 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
The book was well crafted in every aspect until the last couple chapters. The ending was atrocious and utterly dissapointing. In my opinion, the end completely ruined the rest of the story. If you choose to read the book, please stop reading at the chapter that ends with rain and go no further. The end you make up yourself will be a hundred times better than the end by Levine. Don't get me wrong, I love the author; she's one of my favorites. But she really messed up the ending to this one.
Melanti
Why, oh why, do heroes with seven league boots never know trigonometry? It would save so much time when you only need to go five leagues...

Still, a very fun story. I forgive her for writing Fairest. In the afterword, Levine mentions that this story was originally envisioned as a re-telling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses tale. It's hard to imagine something more different than that story!
Lizzy
Dec 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
dragons, ogers ,fairies this book is evrything!
Hallie
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Read for the 2016 Book Battle, but didn't work for me. Partly because she's *twelve*, and his efforts at hand-waving the fact away don't work against the fact that he's an adult and she isn't.
Tara Higgins
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read this book so many times! I love it!
kai jiang
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
I remember picking this book up once in fifth grade and not enjoying it very much, mind you, I didn't get too far into the story, but in the few pages I read, The Two Princesses of Bamarre didn't manage to capture my attention.

In the following years, I read many of Gail's other books and loved each and every one, but I was always a little wary of Two Princesses and never ended up giving it another chance. However, with the release of it's sequel, I finally decided that maybe I should pick it up
Loretta Marchize

• Princess Ben
  • Princess Academy (Princess Academy, #1)
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain, #5)
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • River Secrets (The Books of Bayern, #3)
  • Book of a Thousand Days
  • Once Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #1)
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (Time Quintet, #3)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • The Frog Princess
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Just Ella (The Palace Chronicles, #1)
  • The Princess and the Hound
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2)
  • Palace of Mirrors (The Palace Chronicles, #2)
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo