Start by marking “The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)

The Mystery of the Third Lucretia

(Kari + Lucas Mysteries #1)

If it hadn't been for Lucas's photographic memory, they might not have remembered the man. It had been almost a year since she and Kari had noticed him copying the famous Rembrandt painting in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. But now in the National Gallery in London, they're sure it's the same guy, copying another Rembrandt. What is going on?

The International Herald Tri
Published April 17th 2008 by Viking Juvenile (first published January 1st 2008)

Start your review of The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #1)
Alya Sekkat
The Mystery of the Third Lucretia (Fiction book) -by Susan Runholt- Summer Reading (2015)

The Mystery of the Third Lucretia starts by explaining to us who is Lucretia, and what is the first and second Lucretia. Lucretia is a married woman who was once raped while her husband was at war. When her husband came back from war she told him everything and he said it wasn’t her fault. But she felt so dishonorable so she took a dagger and killed herself. The first Lucretia is a painting of Lucretia (the
Arien
Nov 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: readersadvisory, ya
Overall a clean, wholesome mystery, but I didn't care for this one. I seem to be in the minority, but I felt that the narrative and interest level seriously fades after the exposition. The two protagonists are very smart and capable, however the only mystery that seems to arise is after they make seemingly snap judgments (i.e. a gruff man MUST be a bad guy and beautiful widows of ugly men MUST be murderers)and are then proven correct. There are no surprises, except for the fact that a build up t ...more
Chelsea Couillard-Smith
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: teen-fiction
I really need to stop reading mediocre mysteries because I have to see what happens even if I don't really like the characters or the writing. This one wasn't too bad, but I felt like there was way too much tell and not enough show. While I'm usually happy to suspend disbelief, I couldn't get over how perfectly arranged everything seemed with the girls and their families and how it allowed them to do certain things, and I really didn't get the out-of-the-blue summaries of romantic interests off- ...more
Wendy
Nov 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art-fiction
Well, I've no doubt that plenty of kids would like this, and I suppose that's what's important.

I didn't care for the very casual writing style; and for a book that talks a lot about feminism, and how teenage girls should be interested in more than looks, there's an awful lot of emphasis on how attractive (or unattractive) people are.

It reminded me of nothing so much as an old Donna Parker book, especially in the way a lot of the chapters ended. (And I was SO pleased with myself for coming up wit
Carl Brookins
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
A really thoughtful and intelligent book for young teens, mid teens and adults, if you like following bright sassy kids on their adventures. I do and I learn something when i read Runholt's stuff. You will too.
Hoover Public Library Kids and Teens
This is a really great mystery about two inquisitive, smart girls that travel the world and solve a mystery along the way. Gotta love a mystery that includes travel to places like London and Amsterdam. First in a series. Great for middle schoolers!
EOL Juv Staff
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a really great mystery about two inquisitive, smart girls that travel the world and solve a mystery along the way. Gotta love a mystery that includes traveling to places like London and Amsterdam. The first book in Kari + Lucas Mystery Series. Great for fans of Nancy Drew!
Sasha Hernandez
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. I had a lot of questions while i was reading it, but my questions were answered through the book. I think you will really enjoy it.
Robert Kent
Aug 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Do you like a good mystery, Esteemed Reader? A hint of danger and some heart-pounding adventure? Unless you have some sort of special heart condition or a neurological disorder, I’ll assume that you do. And therefore you are going to love Susan Runholt’s Kari + Lucas Mysteries. The ninja loves them and is looking forward to future additions.

So we’re going to change things up a little bit this week. Instead of reviewing one book, I’m going to review two books in one post. Why? Well, I don’t revie
Adrienne
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Carro Herdegen
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kiss-the-book
Language - G, Sexual Content - G; Violence - G
Kari and her best friend Lucas knew they were going to have fun in Europe; what they didn't realize was that it would be about solving a mystery. It started out as a game, but the closer they get to proving the case, the more danger they get in. These two girls sneak around, disguise themselves, lie a lot, and get help from all around the world.
This mystery was cute and interesting with all the paintings and new places they see. I didn't especially l
Ejayen
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, remo-2020
I'm not sure what age range I'd say this book is for as a couple of fourteen-year-old girls sneak into Amsterdam's red-light district at night. But it turns out perfectly fine and they are catching an art forger. ... So It's just a fun adventure story?
Also a lot of lying happens, but they are well punished for it.
Hillvan
Older than tweens, themes and characters, and situations.
Tabatha Shipley
Oct 21, 2019 rated it liked it
What I Did Like:
-The idea for the story is cute. A couple of teenage girls solving an art crime is exciting!
-The ending works for me. I enjoyed watching this one get all wrapped up nicely.
-Photographic memory is used in an interesting way here. I’m not sure if it’s realistic, necessarily, because I don’t have one and I don’t know anyone I can ask. However, I can say that it felt more realistic to me than some of the instances of photographic memory I’ve seen in other fiction works.

Who Should Re
Samantha
Jan 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Bev
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
I got onto The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt courtesy of the Follow That Blurb Reading Challenge. This is a middle grade mystery which stars two fourteen year old girls who are best friends and interested in art. Kari Sundgren has a mom who writes for a magazine which sends her on assignments to other countries. Lucas Stickney comes from a wealthy family who doesn't mind if she flits off on these journeys with Kari and her mom. The mystery begins when the girls are at the Minnea ...more
Jun 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The Mystery of the Third Lucretia
Susan Runholt
Puffin Books/Penguin Young Readers
345 Hudson St; New York, NY 10014
www.penguin.com/sleuth
978-0-670-06252-2, $6.99, 2008

This book is about two 14 year old girls who are best friends, Kari Sundgren and Lucas Stickney. It starts off with the girls at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts Museum and they first notice a man with an easel painting a Rembrandt painting. Kari being the curious one leans in for a closer look and the man shouts go away. His action
Sue Leatherman
International intrigue, disguises, art museums, and a red light district, what do all of these have in common? They are all part of the mystery adventure for two 14-year-old girls, Kari Sundgen and Lucas Stickney.

Kari and Lucas are best friends who are drawn together by their love of art. One afternoon, they are strolling through the Minneapolis Institute of Art when they notice a young man standing by an easel in the Rembrandt Room painting a copy of one of Rembrant's Lucretia paintings. Kari l
Caitlin
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
I've been a voracious reader since I was a little girl. I never leave the house without a book & it's a great big crisis if I finish my book before I have to do something like ride BART. I like a lot of the same kinds of books now that I did when I was kid - fantasy, fairy tales, & mysteries.

One of the hardest things when I was growing up was finding books with strong heroines. I can count the number of books that fit that bill for me on one hand: Harriet the Spy, From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Kari's mother works for a magazine that sends her to Europe at least once a year to write stories. Usually, they manage to bring along Kari's best friend, Lucas. Together the girls sometimes play tourist while Kari's mother works. Occasionally, they help her with her articles.

One trip to London proves to become a very different sort of trip than any of them imagined. While at the National Gallery, Kari and Lucas see an artist working near a Rembran
Pearl Fernandez
May 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
*4 STARS*

The premise of this novel was incredibly effective- art (my first love) + ancient history + mystery + international intrigue + action-packed adventure? Count me in.

The plot of the story overall made a lot of sense and seemed realistic. I enjoyed the tidbits of information and descriptions throughout the novel, and the girls' journey through Europe brought back a lot of fun memories. It felt like walking down memory lane.

As for the characters, I have to say they were pretty well-develope
Gaby
Aug 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"This is the story of how two teenagers from Minnesota lived a tale of adventure involving a woman from ancient Rome, a seventeenth-century painter, forgery and murder, abduction and rescue, disguises and deductions, two continents, three museums, four countries, a criminal hideaway, and two nuns from Amsterdam's famous Quarter."
-The Mystery of the Third Lucretia by Susan Runholt

I was intrigued by this book from the start. Books with museums, child detectives, art fraud and adventures have alway
Mark Buxton
Feb 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kari and Lucas (a girl) are teenagers who stumble upon an international art crime. They observe a man in a Minnesota art museum who is secretly painting on an easel in front of a Rembrandt display. They later observe the same man doing the same thing in London, England, but he's now wearing a different disguise. As time goes on, the girls start to wonder about the situation and find out that a new Rembrandt painting of the Third Lucretia has been discovered and sold for twenty million dollars. T ...more
Carolyn
Feb 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this quarter 3:
It was a very very good book. It had every thing you would want: likable charictors, mystery, and a horrible bad guy. It was so good. It got me addicted on the first chapter.

Kari and Lucas are BFF and go on lots of trips together. This is because Kari's mom is a writer for the news paper and goes all over. Lucas's parents are mean rich slobs. (Lucas is a girl) Lucas has a photo graphic memory, so when they see a guy at two different museums a year apart she recognizes him.
Aranruth
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kiddie-lit
Kari and Lucas are best friends and aspiring artists. An incident with a nasty art gallery visitor working on a painting in the Minneapolis Institute of Arts would have been forgotten if not for Lucas’ photographic memory. While travelling in London the girls witness a similar encounter, but the man looks different. The girls determine that Gallery Guy is disguising himself to work in different galleries, but they do not know why. They find their answer when a long-lost Rembrandt painting is dis ...more
Linda B
Jul 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
What happens when 14 year old girlfriends, Kari and Lucas, show a little too much curiosity around a mysterious artist in a Minneapolis art museum? What happens is an international mystery and intrigue happening around them. Kari and Lucas are delightful characters who are fun, smart, talented and curious. Their adventures take them overseas when Kari’s mother takes a job that allows them to travel with her.

The dialog is spot-on for the age of the characters, and I could almost hear their voice
Bayley
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was ok
This book was alright...there's nothing spectacular about it. The mystery is fun but becomes a bit cumbersome after no thrilling developments occur during the second half of the book. The word "meep" also started to really grate on my nerves. Every time one of the characters said this I wanted to throw them out a ten-story high window. Honestly, I think I prefer actual expletives to substitutes that are reminiscent of the Road Runner. But I digress. The end did get slightly exciting, but I was h ...more
Shiela
Jun 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kari and Lucas realize something fishy is going on when they see the same man wearing a disguise, painting Rembrandts in two different galleries half way around the world. They decide to go undercover and investigate themselves as no adult would take two American teenagers seriously.

I love the concept of this book. It was like a modern-day Nancy Drew mystery except with travel and art. I loved the characters, they were well developed and Runholt depicted a teenage girl so perfectly, nuances, te
erin
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2008, ya
Kari and her best friend, Lucas, think they're on to something. At home in Minneapolis, they encounter a rude, gruff man in the art museum. He's copying a Rembrandt painting and sneers "Go away" when anyone gets too close to his liking. Imagine their surprise when a while later they see the same man in a London museum--but this time in disguise. Kari and Lucas don't exactly know what's going on, but they know something is. And they're determined to get to the bottom of it.

I really, really liked
Kat
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: YA mystery fans
I picked this book up when I was working at the children's library. The cover art looked very appealing, and the premise promising. It sucked me in after a few pages, and I found myself not wanting it to end.

The two heroines make a formidable team as they try to uncover the mystery surrounding a strange disguised man who they run into at no less than two art museums spanning two continents.

Part teen lit, part mystery, this book was an engaging read. Even though it's classified as children's/YA f
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Mystery of the Third Lucretia 1 4 Feb 16, 2013 01:20PM

• Rapunzel: The One with All the Hair (Twice Upon a Time, #1)
  • The Ring of Rocamadour (The Red Blazer Girls, #1)
  • The Maypop Kidnapping (Quinnie Boyd Mysteries, #1)
  • The London Eye Mystery (London Eye Mystery, #1)
  • Nowhere Boy
  • Nooks & Crannies
  • The Egypt Game
  • Look Into My Eyes (Ruby Redfort, #1)
  • Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library (Mr. Lemoncello's Library #1)
  • Habakkuk (Bible #35)
  • Esme's Gift (Esme Series #2)
  • Ritz and Escoffier: The Hotelier, the Chef, and the Rise of the Leisure Class
  • The Eagle, the Cave, and the Footbridge (Hamelin Stoop, #1)
  • Flunked (Fairy Tale Reform School, #1)
  • The Velvet Room
  • The Book on the Bookshelf
  • Emberhawk
  • The Cat Who Played Post Office (Cat Who..., #6)

Kari + Lucas Mysteries (3 books)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • The Adventure at Simba Hill (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #3)