♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Debates > The Infernal Devices or The Mortal Instruments?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 88) (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Jude (JudeHenderson) | 557 comments Mod
Pretty much every YA Lover has read or heard about The Mortal Instrumets by Cassandra Clare - which are soon to be made into a movie - and she has now given us a New Series, that still goes along hand in hand with the Shadowhunter world: The Infernal Devices.

Have you read The Mortal Instruments?
City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare

Have you read The Infernal Devices?
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices #1) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2) by Cassandra Clare Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare

So far, which one do you like best? The Mortal Instruments or The Infernal Devices?

message 2: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Am I the only weirdo who liked more The Infernal Devices than The Mortal Instruments O.O?

message 3: by Anastasia (last edited Dec 03, 2011 10:29AM) (new)

Anastasia | 63 comments i loved the mortal instruments it's the BEST!! CLACE FOREVER! :^D

message 4: by Wings (new)

Wings Miller (anti-wings) | 1 comments To be honest, We know Clary and Jace's world, and we haven't even ventured into The Infernal Devices properly.
So far, I would say Infernal Devices, but I havne't even started to read Clockwork Prince yet, That could make it or break it.

Alhough I do hope she doesn't write a sequal series to Infernal Devices... a Sequal on a Prequal? No. Just no.

message 5: by Shelby (new)

Shelby | 20 comments I prefer The Mortal Instruments only because, after finishing that series, The Infernal Devices is a little too repetitive of the original...and not in a fresh, fun way.

message 6: by Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ (new)

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ Jude wrote: "Am I the only weirdo who liked more The Infernal Devices than The Mortal Instruments O.O?"

I like Infernal Devices just a wee bit better. lol ;l

message 7: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (koalateabooks) Shelby wrote: "I prefer The Mortal Instruments only because, after finishing that series, The Infernal Devices is a little too repetitive of the original...and not in a fresh, fun way."

Really? I thought the plot was quite original.

And I actually like the Infernal Devices more, but my preference may be skewed because I'm an avid reader of historical fiction, and I just love how it's set in the past. x]

And I haven't read clockwork prince yet, but I'm going to go buy it tomorrow...Hopefully it is as good as the first book.

message 8: by Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ (new)

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ I thought the clockwork prince doesn't come out for 2 more weeks?

message 9: by Teresa (last edited Dec 04, 2011 06:45PM) (new)

Teresa (koalateabooks) Sara-Sadiya =D wrote: "I thought the clockwork prince doesn't come out for 2 more weeks?"

It does? XD I just assumed it's out already from this discussion thread :( Getting a bit ahead of myself.

message 10: by Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ (new)

Sᴀᴅɪʏᴀ lol yeah. embrace the dissapointment. i felt the same way. ^^

message 11: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (koalateabooks) :(

message 12: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 793 comments Mortal Instruments. Somehow i just felt the lead roles- Jace, Will, Clary and Tessa were no different from one another in the books.

message 13: by Helena (new)

Helena | 1 comments I love both, but I am looking forward to venturing more into Infernal Devices

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris | 3 comments Infernal Devices, although I love Jace too!

message 15: by Jennie (new)

Jennie | 19 comments Jude wrote: "Am I the only weirdo who liked more The Infernal Devices than The Mortal Instruments O.O?"

LOL no! I read the Mortal Instruments first and then I started to read the Infernal Devices. I really liked the Infernal Devices more in a way. It's probably because of the different time period the story takes place in. :)

message 16: by Grace (new)

Grace (grace_dinkins) Clockwork Prince came out yesterday

message 17: by Artemis (new)

Artemis (ArtemisKnight) | 218 comments Hmm… right now I like them both equally, but I think I will like the Infernal Devices once I finish reading Clockwork Prince - if it's not terribly disappointing of course - simply because I love history.

message 18: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa | 230 comments after reading the Clockwork Prince, i can say that i like Infernal Devices better :) it is full of mystery, darker and deeper. and the heroine, Tessa, is a strong woman (emotionally and physically). but of course i still enjoy Mortal Instruments, especially the humor and Jace, :)

message 19: by Emily (new)

Emily (Falling for YA) (EmilySiess) | 67 comments I prefer The Infernal Devices over The Mortal Instruments. I just feel like there is more to The Infernal Devices, and I find myself more riveted to the story. I literally could not set down Clockwork Prince even though I should have been studying for exams =/

message 20: by Jude, The First One :) (new)

Jennie wrote: "Jude wrote: "Am I the only weirdo who liked more The Infernal Devices than The Mortal Instruments O.O?"

LOL no! I read the Mortal Instruments first and then I started to read the Infernal Devices...."

I know! Victorian London settings always make things better <3

message 21: by Azhia (new)

Azhia | 12 comments BOTH , I wouldnt even compare them because there so differnt but the same. Either way I love both & especially Jace & will ;)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 247 comments I've only read TMI, but I hear the other series is way better. But I've heard that the ending to the latest one is a killer. So I'm waiting unitl closer to the next one to come out before I read.

message 23: by Azhia (new)

Azhia | 12 comments Terri ♥ wrote: "I've only read TMI, but I hear the other series is way better. But I've heard that the ending to the latest one is a killer. So I'm waiting unitl closer to the next one to come out before I read."

Good idea ! If you can wait that long because the cliff hanger is going to kill you !

message 24: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) I haven't read Clockwork Prince yet, skdryawijrhkehkt.

But I far more enjoyed TMI than I did TID. Mortal Instruments had me hook, line, and sinker from that first book, and I literally ran out and bought the next book when I was still a few chapters away from finishing the first book! I wasn't nearly as captured with Clockwork Angel; I was just kind of like, 'Oh, that was nice.' I wasn't dying to read the next book; I didn't rip through it in a matter of a day. It didn't make me feel nearly as much as TMI had.

Besides, after all the EMOTION filled with Jace and Clary's relationship--that left me practically as a vegetable when I first read the first three books! I didn't have any of those same emotions whatsoever when TID started. Not to mention Will just feels like a rewritten Jace; he has the same sarcastic manner, same "guarded" personality, with little part of him that he's hiding from everybody; he doesn't get close to people. Really, it felt like TMI being rewritten in another time period...

So I vote for the book that left me breathless, with my stomach in knots, that made me stay home from school because it made me so sick with emotion and beauty. That was definitely Mortal Instruments.

message 25: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa I go for mortal instruments all the way. There is more of a twist in mortal instruments than in Infernal Devices but then again the series!!!

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie Li (juubee) Thalia wrote: "I haven't read Clockwork Prince yet, skdryawijrhkehkt.

But I far more enjoyed TMI than I did TID. Mortal Instruments had me hook, line, and sinker from that first book, and I literally ran out and..."

I think you about said all my feelings. I finished City of Fallen Angels.. and Clockwork Angel yesterday. It didn't even stick enough for me to want to buy Clockwork Prince yet. Still thinking about whether I want to buy the book or just wait for the library hold...

It might be the era they're in.. or it's probably cause I love Jace and Clary's era too much. Or that I'm just too attached to those characters to love Will and Tessa's stories so far. I am VERY interested in all the history, though. I loved seeing all the ancestors together and I would like to know Tessa's entire story. Especially since she made an appearance in City of Glass at the end. That means she's likely to be immortal...

message 27: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexbananas28) | 51 comments book lover wrote: "BOTH , I wouldnt even compare them because there so differnt but the same. Either way I love both & especially Jace & will ;)"

^ Ditto :)

message 28: by Annemarien (new)

Annemarien Faraminan | 8 comments I read the Mortal Instruments first and then decided when the Infernal Devices came out that i had to read it, since Cassandra is one of my favorite authors. I was not let down at all, really liked the Infernal Devices more in a way. I think that is deeper, darker and the time period is excellent. I just can't wait for the next book.

message 29: by Nina (new)

Nina (ridyananda) I have read the Mortal Instruments. I found the storiy great. And then the Infernal Devices. If I were to choose, I like Infernal Devices better than Mortal Instruments

message 30: by Megan (new)

Megan Ayres | 9 comments The Infernal Devices is amazing, and Tessa's such a good protagonist. I really enjoy the books and I have a soft spot for Jem. But, obviously I've been reading The Mortal Instruments longer and I love their world and everything in the books and the characters are amazing (especially Magnus and Alec, and Jace makes me laugh)-so The Mortal Instruments!

message 31: by Mia (new)

Mia (MissMiaRose) | 43 comments Hmmm this is hard call to make, i have read them both and obviously I Love them! they are one of my favourites series, but i seriously am finding this hard! They both have good and bad things but im going to have to say The Infernal Devices, I love Tessa, Will and Jem. and I also love the fact that when you read it you recognise names from The Mortal Instruments. but i also love Jace, Clary, Simon, Alec and Isabelle too.-----The Infernal Devices

message 32: by Danniella (new)

Danniella Duff (danniellaalisaduff) | 7 comments I have never read the intfernal devices. But I love City of Bones and to be honest The Infernal Devices has never really appealed to me

message 33: by Danniella (new)

Danniella Duff (danniellaalisaduff) | 7 comments Sorry Mortal Instruments that was supposed to be

message 34: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 8 comments I've got to say, the Infernal Devices, love the era and adore Will. Not to say that I don't love Jace as well, but, well, come on, Will reads and he's beautiful! It's almost not even fair.

message 35: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Arnold | 9 comments Infernal Devices, definitely. I love Will in the story.

message 36: by Denisse (new)

Denisse (denymack) | 207 comments I love The Infernal Devices so much. I actually like Tessa more than Clary but in general I like more The Mortal Instruments more because I've read 4 of them and I've already feel connected to all the characters and the story. But still I love Will as much as I love Jace. And I love Jem a little bit more than I love Alec.

message 37: by Falon (new)

Falon | 2 comments Infernal devices are way better than Mortal instruments because the characters. Will is one of my favorite characters out of any book and Jace just pales in comparison. Tessa is also marginally better than Clary and her love story is the best I've ever read. Mortal Instruments has no character to face off against Jem who is awesome. The love triangle between Will, Jem, and Tessa is really interesting.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

Infernal Devices! Team JEM!!!!!

message 39: by Dinda (new)

Dinda Lestarini (DindaLestarini) | 9 comments I love both, but I think I love Infernal Devices more.

message 40: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audreysbookcase) Love them both, but I have to go with The Mortal Instruments. I read all 5 in less than a week, I just fell in love.

message 41: by Maya (new)

Maya | 37 comments I love BOTH series for different reasons! I jumped into the shadowhunter world because of CoB and i don't regret anything. I love The Infernal Devices because of the connection to TMI and I just love the characters dearly! I like Tessa more than Clary but I love Will,Jem and Jace a lot! I feel that i like TID more, but then TMI more, so ... its like 50-50? I'll be like Magnus and just love both :)

message 42: by Ikao (new)

Ikao (IkaoDuck) I enjoy TMI more than TID although I can't stop fangirling over Jem since he said "I like ducks" <(* ) I like ducks too, don'tbeat duck guys :)
I think because TMI setting is in modern and TID is so far from my days. But I like both :)

message 43: by Amy (new)

Amy Joynes (amyreadingalways) | 5 comments Infernal devices!

message 44: by ♥ Becky 22 (new)

♥ Becky  22  (becky22) Infernal Devices. <3

I like TMI too, but I LOVE TID soooooo freaking much.

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela | 37 comments ♥♥♥ INFERNAL DEVICES!!!! ♥♥♥

message 46: by Ravencrantz (new)

Ravencrantz Infernal Devices <3 I loved the characters so much more, and a good Victorian setting is always a plus <3

message 47: by Little Bee (new)

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I read City of Bone a couple years ago, and didn't really get into it. I recently read the first two in the Infernal Devices and it helped City of Bones make more sense. I truly love the Infernal Devices and am looking forward to Clockwork Princess!

message 48: by Maira (new)

Maira | 516 comments Mortal instrument is the best. infernal devices was not as much intresting as mortal instrument. it didn't had the spark in it.

message 49: by Ariane (new)

Ariane Ruby (Bang-bang-bang) The Mortal Instruments!!!!!!!

message 50: by Nurlely (new)

Nurlely (lelysiregar) | 1 comments Sadiya wrote: "I thought the clockwork prince doesn't come out for 2 more weeks?"

Clockwork Princess will be released in March 2013, while Clockwork Prince was released in December 2011.

@Jude: There are 6 books to The Mortal Instruments series, not 3. Book 6 will be released in March 2014.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Clockwork Angel (other topics)
City of Bones (other topics)
Clockwork Princess (other topics)
City of Ashes (other topics)
Clockwork Prince (other topics)
More...