Start by marking “Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)” as Want to Read:
Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)

Clockwork Angel

(The Infernal Devices #1)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  592,616 ratings  ·  27,992 reviews
In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her
Hardcover, First Edition, 481 pages
Published August 31st 2010 by Simon & Schuster, Margaret K. McElderry

To ask other readers questions about Clockwork Angel, please sign up.
Sanne I'd recommend reading those books in the order they were released:
City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
City of Fallen Angels
Clockwork…more
I'd recommend reading those books in the order they were released:
City of Bones
City of Ashes
City of Glass
City of Fallen Angels
Clockwork Prince
City of Lost Souls
Clockwork Princess
City of Heavenly Fire

From Clockwork Angel on, both series kind of intertwine and some things are foreshadowed in one series that is going to happen in the other. This way you're reading it as Cassandra Clare intended the story to unfold, and you won't be accidentally "spoiled" for one series. :)(less)
Vanessa Yes you would. I actually read TID before TMI and believe it enhanced my experience as TID is actually better written. If I had read TMI first, I…moreYes you would. I actually read TID before TMI and believe it enhanced my experience as TID is actually better written. If I had read TMI first, I don't think I would have finished or given TID a chance.(less)

·  592,616 ratings  ·  27,992 reviews

Kat Kennedy
Sep 06, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Don't ask. I'll only start swearing.
Lola
description

When people ask me ''Who is your favorite author?'' I never know exactly what answer to offer. I very much enjoy reading L.J. Smith’s books. But C.S. Pacat is my favorite M/M author! And let’s not forget how amazing J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter series is. Oh, and have you heard of Kiera Cass? She wrote such a swoon-worthy love story! And Eliza Crewe, Leigh Bardugo, Laini Taylor and Marissa Meyer are all new favorite authors of mine.

Nonsense. No need to be torned ever again.

description

Cassandra Clare...is, t
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
THIS WAS SO GREAT. I'm so glad that I finally picked it up! I'm going to be doing video review/discussion for this so be on the look out for that soon on youtube.com/jessethereader :)

reread: 4/22 - 4/28
Hannah
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, owned
Five years later and my love has yet to subside
Nick
Mountain View

____________________________________________

____________________________________________

Mountain View

☆☆☆☆☆5 FULLY STARS!☆☆☆☆☆

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

I never thought this could be that good.I had started "City of Bones" (the first book of The Mortal Instruments by the same author) but it didn't work for me so I thought this could be the same but I was

Zoë
Sep 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! I am happy that I read it after TMI because I was able to catch the nods to those books. I love both Jem and Will and all of the other characters. I'm excited to start next book right away, which is rare since I never binge read series.
Chaima ✨ شيماء
Dec 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chaima ✨ شيماء by: Emma, Elise and Mel did this
[rips apart ‘I love Jem Carstairs’ shirt to reveal another ‘I love Jem Carstairs’ shirt in bigger font]

I can't walk up the stairs without wheezing but I would fisfight the moon for this boy.

As for Will Herondale, being that I am a fellow emo, I respect his self-loathing but as his foster mother, I do not want him to feel that way.

Lastly, I can see the fledgling tendrils of a love triangle and I am suffering. Make it an OT3 you COWARDS.
Mizuki
This book got 1.5 stars from me simply because I was also reading Tiger's Quest by Colleen Houck, and comparing with Tiger's Quest, Clockwork Angel looks like it deserves 1.5 stars...

In order to save you some precious time, I will tell you my honest reaction to Clockwork Angel right here, right now:

Thank you, Shou.

Also, when I first opened the book, I was faced by this description as well:

Magic is dangerous-but love is more dangerous still.

*sighs* What kind of soap-operatic shit is that!? I hat
Elise (TheBookishActress)
Some of you might know me for, well, this review. You know, my most popular, most liked one-star review of City of Bones? That one? So I guess the thesis of this review could be people change. Oh, no, not me - I still think that book was a piece of shit, because it really was. I mean Cassandra Clare. As in she got better at writing.

The BIG thing that shocked me here was how incredibly addicting this was. Like, I tore apart City of Bones, but kind of the main thing about that book was that it was
Wendy Darling
A fan of Will Herondale, are you? Prepare to swoon.

The Dirty Sexy Attic Scene, from Will's point of view: http://www.cassandraclare.com/cms/loss1

Yeah, yeah, it's a little over the top in parts, but who cares? :D Yum

Merged review:

I don't give many 5 star reviews, but this one is definitely a 5 star book for me. While I liked Mortal Instruments, I wasn't as rabid a fan as I know many people are, so I read Clockwork Angel out of curiosity more than anything else...and I'm so glad I did!

This book is
Samantha
1. Yes, I'll be doing a review for this on my channel.
2. Yes, I'll be continuing the series.
3. No, I won't tell you who's "team" I'm on yet 🙃
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
Aug 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Find me on Instagram & Twitter!

Clockwork Angel was AMAZING. If you love The Mortal Instruments, then you will surely love this book, maybe even more than the original series itself. And if you didn't, well I honestly believe The Infernal Devices will succeed in what The Mortal Instruments failed to do.

The characters were one hundred times more better than that of The Mortal Instruments! Everybody was so much more likable and mature. I really thought for a second that Tessa Gray was older
Dorreh
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shivered with excitement all throughout the book!

“One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”

I would cry, but I still haven't read the clockwork princess, so I feel my time would be wasted. This book was so so so good. I can easily say this is one of the best books I've read in a while. It's been a stressful couple of months, but this book was a place I went to where all the stress, the unhappiness, and depression of the past couple of mo
Janina
To be honest, I’m not quite sure how to rate this book. It wasn’t all bad, but I wouldn’t say it was good either. It was rather boring at times and the story dragged heavily, especially in the middle and towards the end. None of the characters has become particularly dear to me. I didn’t buy the love story.
However, I think I would have liked it much better if I hadn’t read the Mortal Instruments series before. But the books are so similar (which was to be expected, I know, as they are set in th
Chelsea Humphrey
Don’t get me wrong... I have really enjoyed TMI series so far, but THIS one is my jam. I somehow picked this up at precisely the right time as I was in the mood for something historical along with an intriguing adventure and this was it. If TMI are my guilty pleasure/angsty teen romance, the TID are the more grown up and slightly darker version of those guilty pleasures. I was going to initially try to alternate these with my remaining TMI books, but I think I’ll stick with this trilogy first an ...more
Kiki
What a load of bloody melodrama. This book ought to be sung in operatic fashion by a cast of three in a slightly seedy theatre in Brooklyn. It's the sort of book that's dreadfully self-important but really, when you think about it, nothing happens: a few people appear, some technology gets destroyed, two things kiss and stuff, and between all that is a metric ton of filler.

Listen, I'm not going to lie and say I didn't kind of enjoy it. This was my third attempt at reading this, and I guess thir
Cara
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A must for TMI fans
Oh you guessed it I read this to up my book count! So, granted it's not an entire book but I really needed to catch up.

For those of you that didn't know about it here is the link. It's the attic scene from the Will's perspective.

This just made me more excited for Clockwork Prince to come out. Goodness I am not patient these days!

Merged review:

Seriously blown away doesn't even cover it. I have to admit I had my doubts and reservations about how this book was going to turn out. We have the eve
jessica
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
okay. where do i start? how about with how freakin’ relieved i am that i actually enjoyed this!? i nearly wept tears of gratitude when i didnt feel indifference towards this, like i did with TMI #1-3.

that being said, this very much feels like a recycled version of TMI. there are massive similarities between the characters (i mean, will is basically jace. i get that they are related, but im not sure being an obnoxious jerk is hereditary. lol. i have a feeling the reason for his standoffishness w
Beth
I literally cannot give anything less than 5 stars for this book, this is my all time favourite series and I'm SO happy to be re-reading it.

"It is as great a thing to love as it is to be loved. Love is not something that can be wasted.

So, as we all know this was a re-read for me. I've never wrote a review for this, so this is all fresh and new. I'm so excited to write this and have been wanting to do so for a long long time! I can finally do so now. I was so scared to re-read this, I thought may
Melanie
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommended to Melanie by: Emily
1.) City of Bones ★★★
2.) City of Ashes ★★
3.) City of Glass ★★★

“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”

Friends, I finally made it to your beloved Infernal Devices! And I really enjoyed this book. Easily my favorite Cassie Clare book yet! And this was hella darker than anything in the The Mortal Instruments thus far.

Clockwork Angel is the first installment set in the same world that Cassandra Clare has cr
Elena
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's not a long life, killing demons; one tends to die young, and then they burn your body—dust to dust, in the literal sense. And then we vanish into the shadows of history, nary a mark on the page of a mundane book to remind the world that once we existed at all.

It's really hard for me to review a book everyone loved and have high expectations but then end up not even liking it because maybe your expectations were too high, not met, or you were just bored. In my case, it was all. Expectati
Reader-ramble
Jul 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one.
Cassie Clare. We meet again.

I apparently have gained a following because of these reviews, and they have convinced me to use my analytical powers on The Infernal Devices series. You could say I'm easily swayed because I lack dignity. But this is really just too much fun. It's so much fun, I need to be stroking a cat.

First, the usual disclaimer. This review contains spoilers, griping, whining, over thinking, and general ranting. Trolls need not apply.

Let's get started.

Ladies and gents. Gather 'ro
emma
I think y’all know at this point that I am absolute trash for all of the shadowhunters books so if you missed my livetweet reread here are the collected highlights and my definitive list of Opinions:

▪the automatons are creepy as FUCK and I’m honestly surprised I didn’t have nightmares about them
▪Will is overdramatic as HELL but I relate
▪“do you often sleep tied to the bed?” this is some serious kink exposure Will
▪Tessa and Will nerd out over books together sdfjdsaldfj
▪CHARLOTTE BRANWELL IS MY NE
Ashley Brooks
Mar 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I now understand the Will Herondale hype.
✨    jamieson   ✨
god i'm so fucking emo about will herondale i got it fucking bad for that boy

“Whatever you are physically...male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy--all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. All those other things, they are the glass that contains the lamp, but you are the light inside.”

It was interesting to read this back now in 2017 as someone much older. When I first read this in 2012, I was not even in highschoo
Sana
Please read Maggie's amazing review. She sums up whatever I have to say about this book, perfectly.

Listen guys, I tried. I seriously tried!!!! But this was so slow and boring for me, I just couldn't get into it no matter how hard I tried to make myself like it. I was originally going to give this one star, but at times it was a little fast paced and action packed.

Since I already read TMI before this series, the whole info. about Shadowhunters and stuff bored me and I really couldn't find mysel
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
#1 Clockwork Angel ★★★☆☆
#2 Clockwork Prince ★★★★☆
#3 Clockwork Princess ★★★★★

This was actually an incredibly difficult book to rate, because my feelings for it are incredibly mixed. I think part of this is my own fault; I heard so many people say how vastly they preferred this series to The Mortal Instruments that I fully expected this to be a solid 5-star read, and it sadly… wasn’t.

“One must always be careful of books,” said Tessa, “and what is inside them, for words have the power to change
Claudia Ramírez
4.5 stars. I really liked it, but I felt that it lacked something...

I LOVE WILL HERONDALE.
Sandra
Most people are constantly raving on about Clockwork Angel and the whole TID trilogy being better than TMI, and i'm like 'I ain't gonna believe that shit til i see it'. So, i brought the book. Was it better from TMI? Big, fat NO.

The beginning (1-100 pg)
tumblr mkgjge Er031qlxvxuo1 500 zps6d211303

100-200 pages
bored zps81708225

The beginning till the middle was horrible. I had to force myself to keep on reading. It was so tedious i had to fight the urge to fall asleep. Most of the stuff was not even relevant and important! There was so much small, annoy
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 7 231 Jul 11, 2019 10:24AM
Bookmarked: Clockwork Angel: Part 4 13 156 Jun 20, 2019 02:23PM
Bookmarked: Clockwork Angel: Part 2 12 171 Jun 14, 2019 07:14AM
Bookmarked: * Clockwork Angel: Part 1 28 485 Jun 14, 2019 07:10AM
Bookmarked: Clockwork Angel: Part 5 16 272 Jun 12, 2019 11:40AM
2-3-4 Challenge: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (The Infernal Devices #1) - April 2019 3 9 Jun 10, 2019 05:26AM
Bookmarked: Clockwork Angel: Part 3 8 134 Jun 09, 2019 01:13PM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Other Worlds
  • Red Glove (Curse Workers, #2)
  • Nevermore (Nevermore, #1)
  • Sweet Peril (Sweet, #2)
  • Speak
  • The Iron Legends (The Iron Fey, #1.5, 3.5, 4.5)
  • The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles, #2)
  • The Demon's Covenant
  • The Gathering (Darkness Rising, #1)
  • Hourglass
  • Foretold (The Demon Trappers, #4)
  • Hallowed (Unearthly, #2)
  • Pure (Covenant, #2)
  • Blood Promise (Vampire Academy, #4)
  • Nightshade (Nightshade, #1; Nightshade World, #4)
  • The Lost Saint (The Dark Divine, #2)
  • A Beautiful Dark (A Beautiful Dark, #1)
Hello Goodreadsers. Here's my official bio:

The Infernal Devices (3 books)
  • Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices, #2)
  • Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)
“One must always be careful of books," said Tessa, "and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” 19160 likes
“Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.” 14106 likes