Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > Breaking Dawn movie part 1, thumbs up or thumbs down?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 135 (135 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments OMG! Finally, they've come up with a great movie. Somehow they gave justice to the book.

Totally the best movie in the series yet. Let's wait for part 2 hope it'll be better.

Did you watch it already? Share your thoughts guys. :)

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky  (bucktuskl) | 69 comments Not sure if I should comment now after that... hmmm. Well I thought a couple parts were pretty hokey and of course they didn't give us nearly enough of the honeymoon, but I still loved it ;)

message 3: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Becky Cullen-Salvatore-Northman-Russell-Lord wrote: "Not sure if I should comment now after that... hmmm. Well I thought a couple parts were pretty hokey and of course they didn't give us nearly enough of the honeymoon, but I still loved it ;)"

I agree there were some hokey parts. But overall, it's good compared to the first three movies. :)

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Elder | 1 comments I absolutely fell in love with this movie!!! Although they could have showed a little more in the movie that was in the book, it was the best of all the movies hands down!! Going to watch it AGAIN tomorrow!!! Ending was the best!

message 5: by Janina (new)

Janina (synchronizedreading) | 26 comments Thumbs up. It was good but there were some parts where it was too slow. But i liked it still

message 6: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Sarah wrote: "I absolutely fell in love with this movie!!! Although they could have showed a little more in the movie that was in the book, it was the best of all the movies hands down!! Going to watch it AGAIN ..."

Yes it's worth watching again and again! :) I also loved how they made Bella look really awful i mean it's believeable. :)

message 7: by Vanessa (last edited Nov 18, 2011 08:10PM) (new)

Vanessa (ayeestrella) | 41 comments I just watched the movie and I love it. I agree with others that this one is the best one so far, but I actually think the second part is going to be better since Bella can finally kick ass.

I wished there was more action, but I know that this first part was all about the honeymoon and pregnancy so I am not too upset. The movie stuck to the actual book really well. I loved the special effects! They did an AMAZING job with Bella and how she looked as the pregnancy continued.

I do miss the shirtless Jacob scenes though, I can't believe he did not have more scenes without it on!!! Also, the haircut on Edward grew on me, I was not too happy with it at the beginning, but he still is hot.

Of course I predicted the ending and was not surprised a bit predictable. I did love the little bit we did see of the new Bella as a Vampire. I really loved to see what I couldn't really picture while reading the book including when Jacob imprints with Renesme.

So....BASICALLY...Enjoyed the movie!! lol

P.S. I really think The Hunger games will become the new hit series though and most likely surpass the twilight series.

message 8: by Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (last edited Nov 18, 2011 08:33PM) (new)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 241 comments I guess I'm in the minority. I thought the first movie was the best. I felt the romance in the one,the styling, the makeup, and the soundtrack rocked in the first movie.

The second movie was the worst of all in the categories above. The third movie was better including the soundtrack but not the best.

This movie had some really lame parts and the acting terrible in places which I blame the director not the actors since they are the same in the other movies. The movie showed great promise in the begining with awesome styling and makeup. Then it went back to bad wigs and pasty makeup for all vamps except Edward. I give them credit for handling the imprinting thing better than the book. I was most fearful about that.

But who am I. I will still go see the next one.

I Hope You Stayed Past the Credits To See More of The Movie Which Was The Voultori at The End. Someone stopped us, so we didn't miss it. It was worth seeing.

message 9: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments OMG! I did not stay after the credits. I did not know that. Now I should watch it again to see that last part. haha

I agree with you terri the soundtrack in the first movie was awesome. I'm glad they used the song Flightless Bird , American Mouth in breaking dawn part 1. :)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 241 comments Jamielyn wrote: "OMG! I did not stay after the credits. I did not know that. Now I should watch it again to see that last part. haha

I agree with you terri the soundtrack in the first movie was awesome. I'm glad t..."

The soundtrack in this movie was better than the last two and might be worth checking out. I liked that they brought some of the music from the first one back.

message 11: by Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (last edited Nov 18, 2011 08:19PM) (new)

Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) (mybookboyfriend) | 241 comments Yes, warn everyone not to leave when the first set of credits roll. There is a long Voultori scene shown after the initial names!

message 12: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Thank you for telling us that Terri! :)

texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com (prufreadsblogspotcom) | 198 comments I really liked it. I will say though, there was one scene that was just HORRIBLE. When the wolfpack met up after word got out that Bella was pregnant..ugh. I did'nt like that at.all.

I loved Edwards flashbacks (view spoiler)

I loved the humor. I laughed outloud more than I expected to.

The honeymoon scenes, of course, was too short. HOT but short. There was a side view of Edward that....@.@ Plus, alot of "Rob" was present in the scenes where she's trying to get him to have sex with her. OMG, I laughed out loud and he was sooooo effing cute.

The birth scene...wow. I was really impressed. More graphic and disturbing than I expected. And I have to say, I felt like Rob REALLY shined during and after the birth.

Will be going again this weekend. :-)

message 14: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments I don't know why but It seems like all of the casts appeareances improved in this movie.

Especially, Edward and Charlie! :) HAHA

message 15: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (ayeestrella) | 41 comments OH darn I MISSED THE CREDITS!!lol

I actually LOVED the soundtrack for the second movie the best especially when Bella is seating in front of her window after Edward leaves her (I think it was called Possibility).

I agree about the makeup some looked bad and the contact lenses color looked horrible in some of the vampire characters only Edward looks great.

The honeymoon scenes.. yes I wish they were longer but at the same time I am glad they were not since many very young kids were watching the movie even the few scenes they did show was borderline too much. Me been selfish I wish they had change the rating of the movie for older audience and made appropriate scenes for the honeymoon.

I still had a great time.. the theater was so packed that some even sat on the sidelines since they couldnt find seats! (Well their fault for getting there late when the lights were off)

message 16: by Yogi (new)

Yogi (deanders) | 2 comments I really liked it too! Even if I was sitting in front of a family that kept talking......GRRRR! I wish I knew about the added scene. I may have to go back and watch it.

Texxie - I have to agree with you on the birthing scene! I didn't expect it to be so gruesome. Especially since a lot of young people watch it.

I do have two complaints. 1) The makeup was a little over the top and made the Cullens look too "made-up". 2) I'm probably going to get crap for this but......the two actors who play Edward and Bella aren't that great at playing a love match. I've kind of had a problem with their chemistry on screen since the first movie.

message 17: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa (ayeestrella) | 41 comments Jamielyn wrote: "I don't know why but It seems like all of the casts appeareances improved in this movie.

Especially, Edward and Charlie! :) HAHA"

LOL! I loved Edward and jacob ( specially the shirtless scene I think all the females in the audience started screaming lol Let me not get started on that honeymoon scene! lol

message 18: by Yogi (new)

Yogi (deanders) | 2 comments I just want to add............thankfully there was no sparkly vampires. Every time I watch the first movie I laugh at the sparkles.

message 19: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments I totally agree with you Devan, the actors portraying Bella and Edward does not have chemistry. Although, I must say that in breaking dawn part 1 there were some moments that they actually clicked.

Is it only me that thinks that Kristen acting in the last movie improved? haha

message 20: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Devan wrote: "I just want to add............thankfully there was no sparkly vampires. Every time I watch the first movie I laugh at the sparkles."

haha that's really funny.

message 21: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Vanessa wrote: "Jamielyn wrote: "I don't know why but It seems like all of the casts appeareances improved in this movie.

Especially, Edward and Charlie! :) HAHA"

LOL! I loved Edward and jacob ( specially the sh..."

I hated Jacob ever since I started reading the book and watching the movie. But, in this movie I really liked him. He was so real and vulnerable. Love it. :)

Jennifer (random jendsmit) (jendsmit) I loved this movie - totally the best one yet! They all look so much more real - I can't believe how horrible they made Bella look - truly believable - and the ending holy crap!!

AMAZING - WILL BE GOING TO SEE IT AGAIN :)

message 23: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Sam wrote: "guys, does anyone know a link where i can watch the movie online?"

I think it's not yet available online.

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) (ter05) | 608 comments I totally loved it and saw it at midnight and again at ten Friday morning. I didn't expect it to be my favorite but it is. The interaction between Bella and her parents during the wedding scenes was beautifully done, Bella's hesitance at first on the honeymoon - really good acting from Kristen where actions portrayed more than words. The honeymoon scenes were a bit much for PG-13 I thought and it would have been terribly unfair to make it more graphic so all the young fans of the books would be left out. The entire concept and the bloody birth scene were a lot anyway. The birth scene was pretty true to the book. A couple of times scenes between Bella and Jacob had me fumbling for a tissue, and they were really well done by both. I thought Kristen really nailed her role as Bella although I have always thought she was right for it. I agree the handling of the imprinting was well done, and I noticed the words from the past said that when you imprint you become friend, brother, protector so I assume they are going to kind of slant it that way which is probably a good way to handle it. Clever to bring in the songs from Twilight as for me that is the most memorable score from any of the movies. Some makeup and hair was better, some was worse but the different directors and their chosen crews have led to that in all of the movies. Oh, and the presence of Seth was cute and kind of made Jacob appear more mature which worked well.

message 25: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Very well said Terry! :)

Yes, the imprinting on the movie was better than the book. At first, I was thinking on how they will do it and then after seeing the movie I was very satisfied on how they've shown the imprinting. Bella's pregnancy was really really awesome. It wass so believable.

Oh and baby Renesmee was so cute. :)))

message 26: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments I just got back from the move and loved it. I am a little mad now that I didn't stay past the credits.Now I'm going to have to go back and watch it again so I can see that,

message 27: by Katie (new)

Katie (skateanddonate) Always shocks me the number of people who don't stay for the credits. More often than not there is a scene after them. What gets me is the freaking theater people who come in to clean the theater and give you looks about being in the way.

message 28: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Katie wrote: "Always shocks me the number of people who don't stay for the credits. More often than not there is a scene after them. What gets me is the freaking theater people who come in to clean the theater a..."

You know what killed me last night; we bought our tickets online and showed up an hour and fifteen minutes early to get our seat and the theatre made us stand outside in the freezing cold for an hour. I was so mad.

message 29: by Jmckee69 (new)

Jmckee69 (jmckeebookworm) | 29 comments i loved it, couldnt stop thinking about it and saw it midnight and then friday night again. best movie yet. I agree the way bella was made to look was awsome. I dont know how i'll wait another year.

Alexis *Reality Bites* (aim2) | 6 comments Bill Condon did an awesome job directing!!! I loved the way this movie was shot. Loved the actors they did great. The graphics/CGI was excellent. The screenplay writer did a very very good job. I kno Stephanie Meyers is happy cuz i sure was.
Cannot wait for the dvd!!!!!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) Did yal see Stephanie Meyers at the wedding!!

message 32: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "Did yal see Stephanie Meyers at the wedding!!"

I noticed that right away. I also saw her in Twilight but I don't remember seeing her in New Moon or Eclipse

Alexis *Reality Bites* (aim2) | 6 comments Yeah she had a nice close up!!

Alexis *Reality Bites* (aim2) | 6 comments Yeah I saw her in Twilight that was a quick shot at the Diner. I did not see her in the other two either.

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) I did too..I was like Oooo! none of my friends have read the books so they didnt know!

message 36: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "I did too..I was like Oooo! none of my friends have read the books so they didnt know!"

I went with four people who hadn't read any of the books. THey had no idea what was going to happen. I've read them each a minimum of 4 times plus Midnight sun. I love them.

Alexis *Reality Bites* (aim2) | 6 comments P.A. wrote: "Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "I did too..I was like Oooo! none of my friends have read the books so they didnt know!"

I went with four people who hadn't read any of the books. THey had ..."

Ha yeah I reread each bk a few times as well, Midnight Sun too. I would love a bk about Nessie and Jacob. Nessie should b 17 by now with her rapid growth pattern!!!

Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews::: (vanesmate) Yea...Iv read them at least 4 or 5 times! Midnight Sun too:)

message 39: by Jamielyn (new)

Jamielyn | 45 comments Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov wrote: "Did yal see Stephanie Meyers at the wedding!!"

OMG! I did not see her but my friend said "Is taht Stephenie Meyer?" but it's too late the scene was over. haha

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Breaking Dawn rocked! It was one of the best movies of the series(the other for me being New Moon). I'm pissed I left as soon as the credits rolled....will be going back to see it again, lol.
Overall the acting was better and the movie was graphic but tastefully done.

Jennifer☠Pher☠ (naylorjen) | 32 comments I laughed, I cried and was on the edge of my seat most of the time. I think the movie was beautifully done. For a story that has left me emotionally exhausted over and over the movie did not leave me disappointed at all. It was actually better then I thought it would be. The only disappointment I have is that I am not in the theater today seeing it again! LOVED IT!!

message 42: by Crazy4more (last edited Nov 20, 2011 04:59PM) (new)

Crazy4more (lan-ni) | 2904 comments THUMBS UP! I loved the movie. There were some new dialogs that was very refreshing and funny. I had lingering tears quite a few times. The emotional scene where Edward screamed at Bella for keeping the baby was intense, I don't remember he ever yelled at Bella. The wedding and Bella turning at the end were breathtaking.

message 43: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 71 comments I am a huge fan of the series, but I really don't like how Breaking Dawn was written. The middle third of the book is NOT what I want from Meyer, and I was rolling my eyes through most of it. The movie was amazingly true to the book, I was actually quite surprised. However, when the story is that weak (and in my eyes, ridiculous), it's hard to love the movie. But I did love the beginning, and I really loved how they showed Bella wasting away with the baby. They did so much right, but that wolf scene... Oh my god, really?? Nothing is cheesier than hearing lion noises and Darth Vader voices during an alpha showdown

message 44: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5 comments i agree with Latasha! I though a lot of it was good. except for the wolf scenes and the fact that the movie was somewhat slow. I loved how they made Bella look like she was dead. Overall, i think it was a good movie.

message 45: by KK (new)

KK (kk567) | 20 comments I loved it. I thought it was the best one yet. The jokes were much better. The wedding was beautiful and the drama was great.

Chelsea_Book_Obsessed | 4 comments THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS THE BEST MOVIE EVER. Kind of gorey when Renesmee is born but awesome all the best!

message 47: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Latasha wrote: "I am a huge fan of the series, but I really don't like how Breaking Dawn was written. The middle third of the book is NOT what I want from Meyer, and I was rolling my eyes through most of it. The m..."

Breaking Dawn was my favorite book in the series, but I have to agree with you on the cheese factor of the wolf scene. It was the only part of the movie I didn't like. It felt off. I think it would have been better if they had turned human and talked. Also, I was kind of annoyed with the scene at the beach where all of the imprinted wolves were with their mates. I can't imagine they would really seclude each other like that. In the books Sam is usually very sympathetic to Leah, I didn't like that he was making out with Emily in front of Leah--that part didn't fit with his character.

Still loved the movie though

message 48: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latashamd) | 71 comments P.A. wrote: "Latasha wrote: "I am a huge fan of the series, but I really don't like how Breaking Dawn was written. The middle third of the book is NOT what I want from Meyer, and I was rolling my eyes through m..."

I did enjoy the movie more the second time I saw it, but I still think it's cheesier than the previous movies. I totally called the zoom in on Bella's eyes at the end... and I cannot wait for the second half to show her kick butt!

message 49: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5 comments I thought it was awesome how they ended the movie and how they showed her body filling in. That was really cool. I also thought they made Jake imprinting on Nella not so creepy, it was still creepy but they made sound ok.

message 50: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (palupton) | 909 comments Cassidy wrote: "I thought it was awesome how they ended the movie and how they showed her body filling in. That was really cool. I also thought they made Jake imprinting on Nella not so creepy, it was still creepy..."

I agree. I was worried how they would pull off his imprinting and it was done very well.

« previous 1 3