This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
love it hate it, it is almost over...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Yes, that's the only good thing about this election - it will soon be over.

Now I just have to hunker in and ride out the next four years.

Servius  Heiner I think we will be fine, Rusty. A leader that displays no hate is no leader at all.

Servius  Heiner But still I always like stupid political songs.

message 5: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Definitely, Jib-Jab is always good.

message 6: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) I worry for all the political comedians who will have less material to work with.

Servius  Heiner I believe McCain will give them plenty of tongue shots to laugh at.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved that video. It cheered me. I think because everyone seemed to be getting along and loving each other.

The part where Obama was frolicking on a unicorn through flowers was particularly smile-inducing for me. Thanks. I can go teach ELD, now.

Servius  Heiner Really I like the Obama part too... you know the one where McCain runs him over with a Sherman tank.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Tragically my work computer won't display the video, but I can almost taste that beer you're going to have send me when the headlines read "At last, America has a Black Master."

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2008 12:41PM) (new)

Nope it means that Nick will be sending me a beer to celebrate with when they finally lay poor ol "McCain, the sacrafical candidate" out to rest :D

Unless of course the ol' dog wins, because if that happens buying Nick a beer will be the least of my economic worries.

Servius  Heiner Nah, fear not Mumbles. I will savor the flavor of the greatest beer I ever had, the one I had for free. And I think you will ultimately be better off with Palin then ever possible with Obama. I really Have grown tired of serious political conversations but am willing to go forward if I must. But I think it best to just stick with the bet.

and a generic stance of: I believe the polls to be inaccurate and not objective at all. The way the questions are asked and even the questions asked leave so much grey space and individual interpretation, that they are not sound polls at all.

my bet for a beer is McCain by a landslide.

message 13: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Nick, while it's true that polls are intrinsically untrustworthy (why wife's minor was in statistics, and she was shocked to see how easily polls are manipulated), I have a very bad feeling about this.

Servius  Heiner I think those are bad feelings about McCain. Fair enough, I am not a big fan either. But It still stands, he is a better canidate then Obama. So despite all the hubbub in the media I think when it comes down to it, McCain. Hands down. Trust me on this I wouldn't lead you astray. This is inevitably.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

"inevitably"?

Servius  Heiner Inevitability... I have a very complex and scientific manner to this whole election thing. Far to complicated for me to articulate in a way that would be understandable to anyone outside of my own head but trust me on this. The near future can be forecasted; I have done this... 5 times to be exact my math on this particular is solid. It is inevitable.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

sacrafical?

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Not if you go with the source I trust most, Nick. They've been right for 12 of the last 13 elections!

Weekly Reader

Servius  Heiner impossible to avoid or to prevent from happening:Inevitable I don't get the confusion.

Servius  Heiner They are going off of flawed data Montambo... Look we can make this simple, you can join the bet if you like. Either way, McCain wins. I win. Then I will have two beers, instead of just one.

message 21: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 31, 2008 03:12PM) (new)

Either way, McCain wins.

I don't get it. How does he win, either way? Are you drinking the victory beer before the eggs are hatched or whatever? And what am I supposed to be betting? Beer? Sure, Nick. You can totally believe me on this; I'm not* lying: If McCain wins, I'll serve you beer in a sexy beermaiden costume.

*__________________________________________
(written with invisible ink)

Servius  Heiner That is the bet... Mumbles may want to alter his bet now that you have upped the stakes.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

I'll take that bet provided that Montambo serves me a beer in her sexy beermaiden costume when Obama wins. We're going to bear witness to a Republican implosion on Tuesday. This is inevitable.

Servius  Heiner Very well, If you insist on your delusions then I will not persist in trying to bring you over to the winning side. Looks like I will get to experience Montambo in all her book dust glory... ALL MINE!

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

"book dust glory"? Have no fear, I'll make sure to freshen her up after she's brought me my celebratory beer!

Servius  Heiner Nay, I say. The book dust is part of the deal. And if you think I am going to share my free victory beer then you are mistaken. But I will purchase the second round, just to show I am a good sport.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

I will never be a sexy beer maiden, fyi. I barely care about politics. And I don't have the thighs for those skirts.

Servius  Heiner As the beer maiden in question it is not for you to decide. Nobody ever judges themselves objectivly. Everyone that I know that knows you personally leads me to believe I am a winner with this bet many times over!

Servius  Heiner you already agreed to the bet, and signed with invisible ink... I saw it :D

Servius  Heiner Well, I think that pretty much clears up the dead threads... Not to shabby for 20 min eh?

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, yeah. I'm TOTALLY not lying. You'll see me serving beer in Alaska to you and wifey come McCain's victory. TOTALLY! There's no way that I'm bullshitting you right now. It's the ROCK SOLID TRUTH. You CAN trust me.

Servius  Heiner now you just sound like Obama...

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

Servius  Heiner Well this is the closest articulation of my reasons still missing a few key points but there you ave it.

10 Reasons Why McCain Might Win
John Podhoretz - 10.31.2008 - 12:14 PM
This is why it might happen. Not saying it will.

1) One poll has undecided voters at 14 percent on the last weekend, which means most of them probably really aren’t undecided, that they are either going to stay home or vote preponderantly for McCain and pull McCain across the finish line.

2) Most pollsters are claiming the electorate this year is six to nine points more Democratic than it is Republican. That would be an unprecedented shift from four years ago, when the electorate was evenly divided, 37-37, Republican and Democratic, and a huge shift from two years ago, when it was 37-33 Democratic. A shift of this size didn’t even happen after Watergate.

3) Obama frequently outpolled his final result in primaries, which might have many causes but might also indicate that he has difficulty closing the sale.

4) The argument in the past two weeks has shifted, such that many undecided voters who are now paying attention are hearing about Obama’s redistributionist tendencies at exactly the right moment for McCain.

5) The tightening in several daily tracking polls indicates a modest surge on McCain’s part that could continue through the weekend until election day. If he is behind by three or four points right now, a slow and steady move upward could push him past the finish line in first place.

6) In terms of the electoral map, the energy and focus McCain is directing at Pennsylvania could pay huge dividends if he pulls it off. If he prevails there, it might follow that the message will work in Ohio too. And if he wins Pennsylvania and Ohio, he will probably win even if he loses Virginia and Colorado.

7) Early voting numbers are not oceanic by any means, which may indicate the degree of enthusiasm for Obama among new voters is not something new but something entirely of a par with past candidates, like John Kerry. And they show more strength on the Republican side than most people expected.

8) What happened with the Joe the Plumber story is that Obama has now been effectively outed as a liberal, not a moderate; and because liberalism is still less popular than conservatism, that’s not the best place for Obama to be.

9) The fire lit under Obama’s young supporters in the winter was largely due to Iraq and his opposition to the war. The stunning decline in violence and the departure of Iraq from the front page has put out the fire, to the extent that, like the young woman who made a sexy video calling herself Obama Girl and then didn’t vote in the New York primary because she went to get a manicure, they might not want to stand on line on Tuesday.

10) Hispanic voters, who are always underpolled, know and appreciate McCain from his stance on immigration and will vote for him in larger numbers than anyone anticipates.

There you have it. It’s admittedly not the strongest case, and the idea that McCain will win on Tuesday is hard to square with the fact there isn’t a single poll that has him in the lead five days out. But unexpected things do happen in politics every election.

message 35: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) i predict that nader will win... but only by the narrowest of margins... surprise surprise

Servius  Heiner Ready for the landslide!~

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Ditto!

Servius  Heiner So are you wearing you tube and water wings?

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

Wha? Is that supposed to mean that a flood is coming? I don't get it.

A flood of fabulous!

I am reading this to my classes, today:
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/30...

Next week I'll be reading "Obama! Best president EVAH!

Servius  Heiner And that is how everyone knows you are on acid.

Servius  Heiner I myself plan on riding the wave of McCain Victory all the way to the bank... Of cource I won't be able to draw out any money but I'll be at the bank.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments who is winning?

Servius  Heiner hmmmmm 13-3 McCain. Shit they just started counting and McCain's landslide is already showing }:-D

Servius  Heiner I will be handing out xanax and tissues all evening. If you like the B-ster, I will administer you your allotted rations of Xanax now; to get you through the rocky beginning. There is nothing I can do for you once the real beating comes however.

Jackie "the Librarian" CNN has Obama 77, McCain 34

Servius  Heiner eh, a fluke, I didn't say they guy would flop.

Jackie "the Librarian" Huh. Now NBC is predicting Pennsylvania for Obama, with 0% of the precincts reporting??? Based on... what? They really WANT Obama to win Pennsylvania?

Servius  Heiner Being serious for a moment, everyone needs to chill. There is not a single state that has more then %10 of their ballots counted. Hanging on ever increase will just give you a heart attack. Let.It.Go.

Jackie "the Librarian" Chilling is NOT POSSIBLE, Nick. I've been tense for days about this, and now it is finally here!!!

message 50: by Servius Heiner (last edited Nov 04, 2008 05:53PM) (new)

Servius  Heiner Pop a few shots of rum, or Jamison 1780, take a hot bath.

Then come back and see how much he is losing by.

And repeat.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.