Mock Caldecott 2022 discussion

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 255 comments Mod
Do you have any comments about the books we are reading this month? Are any of them Caldecott worthy?

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 15 comments I read an arc of Grandpa Green, and immediately thought of it as a Caldecott contender. I bought a copy when it came out, but have not yet read it to my students. Will have to do that and see what they think!As for Wonderstruck, it is absolutely worthy, but fear it may not be a contender because it is so similar to Hugo Cabret. Too bad as it is lovely.

message 3: by Starr (new)

Starr I am reading Wonderstruck, and it is fabulous. I am wondering, however, if this book should be up for the Newberry since one of the stories is told entirely in words? Hugo was one story that you could follow with pictures.

message 4: by Ed (new)

Ed (yedotter) | 14 comments Grandpa Green is definitely a contender. The illustrations are charming and touching, and almost magical in their creativity. I read it to my 9 year-old and he kept pointing out all the things I missed, even though I have read it 10 to 12 times, and it was his first time. It is a wonderful story, but the illustrations are what make it a classic, and definitely a book to consider for the Caldecott.

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Jorgensen (sunnie) | 255 comments Mod
What about These Hands Do you think young children will be attracted to the story? It has a wonderful message but you have to wonder if this is one for the adults.

message 6: by Lynda (new)

Lynda Shoup | 1 comments Grandpa Green and Wonderstruck were both the kind of book that I sit in awe for as long as I can after I read it. They both have incredible emotional impact.

Grandpa Green is a remarkable book because the reader sees what they are able to see depending on their age and circumstances. The book is so short and so dense with content.

Wonderstruck is certainly for the upper range of the audience for the Caldecott Medal. Again, an emotionally deep, content dense book. I saved this book for a day I could read it straight through. I would be surprised if this book is not seriously discussed by not only the Caldecott committee, the Newbery committee, but also by the Schneider Family Book Award committee.

I read Jonathan and His Big Blue Boat first and was attracted to the artistry of the illustrations. I don't think it has the full impact of the other two.

I look forward to getting my hands on the last book for the month.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Nagel | 15 comments Any lists started for the winners?
I liked Grandpa Green, Red Sled, Me..Jane, and Ice

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (peppersgirl) | 4 comments I liked Grandpa Green by Lane Smith Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by Jerry Pinkney Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol (peppersgirl) | 4 comments Carol wrote: "I liked Grandpa Green by Lane SmithTwinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by Jerry PinkneyWonderstruck by Brian Selznick"

but I really think Grandpa Green is going to win the real one.

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (dsmacdonald) | 4 comments I also liked Grandpa Green by Lane Smith , and Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick . What about Press Here by Hervé Tullet or Me...Jane by Patrick McDonnell or Blue Chicken by Deborah Freedman ?

message 11: by Francesca (new)

Francesca Mellin | 4 comments I'm a school librarian and I run a mock Caldecott election as part of a 3rd grade unit. Our students voted this week and the clear winner was Grandpa Green. Here are some of their comments (taken verbatim): they liked the detail, the shading, the contrasting colors, and the perspective; the fact that it was a life story; and the use of the tree as a symbol. Several described the book as “imaginative” and “emotional.” Personally, I'd like to see something humorous honored this year, so I'm hoping that I Want My Hat Back gets recognized.

message 12: by Donna (new)

Donna (dsmacdonald) | 4 comments I also ran a mock Caldecott with two classes of fifth graders. Before voting, we had in depth discussions about ALA criteria for a "distinguished" picture book. In one class, Grandpa Green won, with Blue Chicken, Press Here and Blackout as honor books. In the second class, Press Here was the favorite, with Wonderstruck, Blackout and I Want My Hat Back as honor books. Personally, I'm hoping that Me...Jane and Brother Sun, Sister Moon make a showing.

message 13: by Melissad (new)

Melissad | 10 comments They announced the winners for Caldecott, Newbery and other book awards on Mon. Jan 23rd!

Caldecott:
Medal:A Ball for Daisy by Chris Raschka

Honors:Blackout by John Rocco
Grandpa Green by Lane Smith
Me…Jane by Patrick McDonnell

Newbery:
Medal: Dead End in Norvelt by Jack Gantos

Honors:Inside Out & Back Again by Thanhha Lai
Breaking Stalin’s Nose by Eugene Yelchin

Geisel:(easy readers)
Award:Tales for Very Picky Eaters by Josh Schneider

Honors:I Broke My Trunk! by Mo Willems
I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen
See Me Run by Paul Meisel

Printz:(YA fiction)
Winner:Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley

Honors:Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
The Returning by Christine Hinwood
Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Corretta Scott King:
Illustrator Winner: Shane W. Evans for Underground

Illustrator Honor: Kadir Nelson for Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans

Author Winner: Kadir Nelson for Heart and Soul: The Story of America and African Americans

Author Honor: Eloise Greenfield for The Great Migration: Journey to the North
Author Honor: Patricia C. McKissack for Never Forgotten

Robert F. Sibert Medal:(informational book for children)
Winner: Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy’s Parade

Honors: Black and White: The Confrontation of Reverend Fred L. Shuttlesworth and Eugene “Bull” Connor
Drawing from Memory by Allen Say
The Elephant Scientist by Caitlin O’Connell and Donna Jackson
Witches: The Absolutely True Tale of Disaster in Salem by Rosalyn Shanzer