Start by marking “Me...Jane” as Want to Read:
Me...Jane

Me...Jane

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  11,288 ratings  ·  1,094 reviews
Patrick McDonnell-beloved, bestselling author-artist and creator of the Mutts syndicated comic strip--shares the inspiring story of young Jane Goodall, the legendary and inspiring conservationist featured in the hit documentary film Jane.

In his characteristic heartwarming style, Patrick McDonnell tells the story of the young Jane Goodall and her special childhood toy c
Published April 5th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

·  11,288 ratings  ·  1,094 reviews

Calista
I didn’t realize this was a little biography of Jane Goodall. It’s about Jane as a child and how observant she was. She was given a stuffed animal little monkey that she did everything with and she dreamed of going to Africa one day and helping the animals. It was a great surprise to find out this was about Jane Goodall.

I love the artwork in this. On the page with words, they have all kinds of nature subjects like leaves and nuts and things as watermarks and then the page with the drawings is a
Kathryn
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra
An absolute jewel! I loved this book. For me, it is a practically perfect offering with just the right amount of information, just the right amount of storytelling. Also, it's a sublime combination of McDonnell's winsome and whimsical artwork, and facsimiles of classical scientific art of birds and animals, while also featuring some of Jane's own artwork (I especially loved the spread of her childhood sketches and information from the "Alligator Society" she formed) and photographs from her chil ...more
Lisa Vegan
Mar 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of Jane Goodall &/or nature &/or biographies; naturalists; everyone who dreams big
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
There is nothing I don’t love about this book. Wonderful photos and drawings. Adorable and engaging illustrations, and an interesting account of a young girl’s/women’s life: Jane Goodall. I'm a huge fan of Jane Goodall but other readers don’t have to be, and they don’t have to know a thing about her, in order to get a tremendous amount from this book. This true story is entertaining and educational and inspiring, and very charming.

I love Jane and Jubilee, her stuffed toy chimpanzee. The pictures an
Manybooks
Although I actually have not been able to totally enjoy the rather carton- like accompanying illustrations of Patrick McDonnell's Me ... Jane (as while they are indeed bright and lively, expressive, his illustrative style has simply never really been all that much to my personal and aesthetic tastes), I truly have massively appreciated and even loved this book (and do think the illustrations work well enough with the presented text, with the featured narrative). For Me ... Jane (and even if I am not an ...more
paula
Jeez, the moment when you turn the page and she has grown up and gone to Africa and it's that famous picture of her greeting the baby chimpanzee with the back of her hand... took my breath away. This SHOULD be Patrick McDonnell's Caldecott. (Also for the tiny subtle look of shock on her face after she has hidden in the henhouse to observe where eggs come from. I would look shocked too.)
Noran Miss Pumkin
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is for me, not my little vir. I adore Jane and missed her thrice lecturing. An awesome woman!
Betsy
Feb 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Pity the picture book biographer. Theirs is not an easy lot. Seems to me that if you want to introduce a six-year-old to a famous person there are two ways of going about it. The first way is the David Adler method. He’s the fellow behind all those “A Picture Book of” books. Adler’s specialty is synthesizing a person into 32 or 40 odd pages. Along the way he has to boil down a human life into as pure and simple a telling as possible. Sometimes this method works well, and sometimes it doesn’t, bu ...more
The Library Lady
Okay, I normally NEVER give anything 5 stars aside from classics that have been around for years and years. But I am breaking my own rule (not an uncommon occurrence, come to think of it) to give this one 5 because it is THAT GOOD!

Jeanette Winter's The Watcher has gotten a lot of good press, but this one absolutely leaves it in the dust. Her book is attractive, but when you get down to it, pretty pedestrian--just another nice picture book biography.

Winter shows Jane with a stuff
Sara
I read a looooooot of picture books for work, and I rarely add them to my goodreads account because it would put me at my goal for the year in like a week, and I also have another document at work where I keep track of good picture books. This one, however, is just too good to not keep a record of on here. This is by far the best picture book I've read so far this year. Simple and elegant and joyous and beautiful. Everything comes together PERFECTLY -- the words are simple and gorgeous and poeti ...more
Kristina
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adored it!

It was educational, inspirational and authentic. We're following Jane's dream since she was a very little girl and we see her accomplish it despite people not believing in her and her abilities.

She is an example for all little girls out there - go and follow your wildest dreams without fear!
Tasha
May 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Jane is a girl who loves to be outside watching the animals. She takes her toy chimpanzee Jubilee with her on all of her adventures. They watch the squirrels, birds and spiders. They figure out where eggs come from. They go together up into her favorite tree to dream about being Tarzan in Africa. Jane dreamed about a life where she could study animals, learn about them, and watch them up close. And that’s exactly what she grew up to do as Jane Goodall, chimpanzee expert and animal activist.

McDo
Carolynne
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Malinda, Jeracalea, Emily, Gundula
Recommended to Carolynne by: The Caldecott committee!
_Me . . . Jane_, scenes from the early life of the inspiring naturalist and activist Jane Goodall, just won a Caldecott honor award for one of the most distinguished picture books published in 2011. (_A Ball for Daisy_ just won the Medal. I cannot wait to see it if it is better than this one!) In a beautifully designed book illustrated with watercolors and India ink, McDonnell has enriched the drawings with drawings made by Goodall herself, as well as a funny drawing about her time in the Gombe ...more
Ann
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
This book would be wonderful, charming, inspiring and endearing even if it weren't based on the childhood of Jane Goodall - but because it is, the book becomes even more incredible.

Simply told with sweet illustrations, McDonnell has manages to capture the imagination and dreams of children. This isn't a mini-biography by any means, but it shows the dreams of a young Jane Goodall, and we can gain a few insights as to how she grew up to be the person and scientist she is.

Wh
John
I wonder how Me...Jane will look with shiny stickers. (I read it on 3/2/11 and reread it on 8/21/11. Can we please start giving it awards?)
Scope
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
There are biographies that are picture books, and there are picture book biographies. The difference, you ask? The former is a fairly detailed bio with illustrations added – usually resulting in a book most appropriate for older audiences. The latter is picture book through and through – minimal text, basic vocab, simple story. With Me…Jane, Patrick McDonnell (Wag!, South) has created a picture book biography – it keeps the focus narrow, with successful results.

On the first page we a
Julie
Jan 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Is it just me or is the Caldecott competition really stiff this year? Yet another book I hope gets some attention. I love the use of engravings and archival photographs to round out the illustrations. Such a beautiful book about an inspiring woman. Great message (ugh, I know) for kids. Paraphrased: Be an ubernerd and you just might make the world a better place.

Random anecdote: When I was a kid, Jane Goodall spoke at my elementary school. (It's still somewhat surreal to think that I've seen her in
Beth
A delightful retelling of Jane Goodall's childhood for the early-elementary set. The combination of historical woodcuts, McDonnell's appealing drawings, and the occasional photograph will interest children and charm adults. McDonnell distills story elements, such as Jane's observation of how eggs come from a chicken, into a few sentences that retain the charm of the full story.

An actual "magazine" spread by young Jane is a particularly wonderful element, as is Jane Goodall's own postscript at t
Kaethe Douglas
Me...Jane - Patrick McDonnell  For such a brief book, McDonnell has done a marvelous thing. He doesn't try to give us the entire life of Jane Goodall, just a glimpse at a child who was fascinated by animals and nature and Africa and how that lead to the adult she became. The art is perfect, incorporating Victorian animal illustrations, a sweet, almost cartoonish style, and memorabilia from Goodall. I expect the child who is like Goodall (albeit with pandas and China) will really love it.
Edward Sullivan
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Not a biography but a beautiful, magical, utterly charming imagining of Jane Goodall as a child. I love MUTTS, love all Patrick McDonnell's books. This is one not to be missed!
Melissa
I had to spend a long time with this one, but I am now officially on board. At first Patrick McDonnell's light touch with a pen, which I still associate with the comics page, didn't seem able to carry the nice heft of the written content, especially when juxtaposed with the real photos and juvenilia that he includes. I felt they were so strong that they didn't pair up well with the art. I'm still not completely sure that they do. However, knowing so many people had fallen in love with this, I ma ...more
babyhippoface
This is the story of Jane Goodall's life... well, the part that really matters to kids. Most biographies, even those written for children, touch on the childhood years of the biographee, then quickly move on to the "important stuff". Not so with this little lovely. In McDonnell's view of Goodall's life, her childhood was the important stuff, because it was where the vision for the important stuff was born.

McDonnell, creator of the always funny and often touching comic strip "Mutts", has said that this book i
Megan Bernhard
This is a story about Jane Goodall as a young girl and her stuff animal chimpanzee, Jubilee. With Jubilee always by her side Jane explores her love for nature and all the simplistic things that come with it. Jane dreams of living in Africa and pursuing her love for animals. I believe the illustrations throughout this story are very simplistic in nature and slightly childish in a way the appeals to young readers. I think this is an important aspect because it is a story of Jane at a young age and ...more
Jane G Meyer
I don't just love this book because it's about another Jane. Just want to get that out of the way....

Everything about this book speaks to quality and endurance. The story is well told and fun, the illustrations are darling, intermixed with the most fabulous engravings from the 19th and 20th centuries. The quality of the binding and the paper also proves that the publishers want this book to last a very long while on a child's shelf.

Me, Jane is about Jane Goodall as a little girl. Ho
Janessa
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This little picture book opened up a whole new world to my nine year old daughter. She has always loved animals, and she connected deeply with the depiction of a young Jane Goodall playing with her stuffed chimp Jubilee. My daughter poured over the double-spread page showing some of the games and activities Jane created for her childhood animal club, and re-created some of the activities to do with her own friends. But the real magic of the book was watching young Jane keep that love of animals ...more
Dolly
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful story that shows how curiosity, imagination, wonder and study can lead to a truly adventurous life, one that makes a difference in the world. The narrative and illustrations blend together perfectly, and make this a book that can work with children of all ages.

I loved the additional biographical information at the end of the book as well as the note from Jane Goodall herself. Overall, we thought this was a terrific story and we really enjoyed reading it together.

I appreciat
Brandi Smith
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This biographical picturebook was awarded the 2012 Caldecott Honor and was named one of the New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books in 2011. It is intended for children ages 0-8 years(N-P). In this book the author focuses on Jane Goodall's childhood and her early ambition to work with animals.
I gave this book 5 stars. For starters, it is beautiful. The book has a really personal feel to it, with some of Jane Goodall's childhood artwork and pictures of her as a child and as an adul
Peacegal
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humane-education
A humane educator’s bookshelf can certainly hold more than one delightful picture book about Jane Goodall. Unlike the other recent book, The Watcher, Me...Jane focuses entirely on Goodall’s childhood.

Jane is written by the creator of the beloved comic strip “Mutts,” Patrick McDonnell, who can always be trusted to put in a kind word for animals. Young hearts will soar along with Jane’s as she dreams of

A life living with, and helping, all animals.

And that’s just what she did.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
The story of Jane Goodall's childhood and how she made her dream come true. Engaging text, remarkable illustrations (including some of Jane's own sketches), and an inspiring note from Jane make McDonnell's book a brilliant success.

I love Jane's story but I am most fond of the relationship between Jane and her stuffed toy chimpanzee, Jubilee. It is very touching how Jane shared her love of animals with Jubilee and how she went on to study real life monkeys in Africa.
David
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Me . . . Jane by Patrick McDonnell tells the story of the young Jane Goodall and her special childhood toy chimpanzee named Jubilee. As the young Jane observes the natural world around her with wonder, she dreams of "a life living with and helping all animals," until one day she finds that her dream has come true.

McDonnell chooses to focus on the young Jane Goodall to tell her story.
McDonnel tells this story in about 160 words. McDonnell includes pages from Jane's "Aligator Society" cre
Ashley Barna
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Me...Jane, written by Patrick McDonnell, is a wonderfully told story about a little girl named Jane who loves the outdoors. All throughout the book Jane is never seen without her stuffed toy chimpanzee named Jubilee who she loved dearly. Jane loved to read books about animals, climb trees, and witness animals in their own environment.

All while Jane was exploring the outdoors with Jubilee, she was also dreaming about a life in Africa. She thought about how wonderful it would be to live in a pla
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Me . . . Jane Review 1 8 Sep 03, 2014 09:59AM
MCC Children's Li...: Caldecott winner 2 3 Jan 27, 2012 08:58AM

• Blackout
  • Balloons Over Broadway: The True Story of the Puppeteer of Macy's Parade
  • Dave the Potter: Artist, Poet, Slave
  • The Watcher: Jane Goodall's Life with the Chimps
  • Here Comes the Garbage Barge!
  • A Nation's Hope: The Story of Boxing Legend Joe Louis
  • Grandpa Green
  • Nurse, Soldier, Spy: The Story of Sarah Edmonds, a Civil War Hero
  • Can We Save the Tiger?
  • Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature
  • A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Fred Stays With Me!
  • The Day-Glo Brothers: The True Story of Bob and Joe Switzer's Bright Ideas and Brand-New Colors
  • Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story
  • Queen of the Falls
  • The Tree Lady: The True Story of How One Tree-Loving Woman Changed a City Forever
  • Eleanor, Quiet No More
In 1994 McDonnell created the comic strip MUTTS which now appears in over 700 newspapers and 20 countries.

In 2005, McDonnell embarked on a children's book career. His first children’s book, which featured the MUTTS characters, The Gift of Nothing, quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Art (2006), his second release, told the story of a boy named Art who makes art. His next releas