The Sword and Laser discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What Else Are You Reading - November 2011 Edition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 190 (190 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Kevin (last edited Oct 31, 2011 05:18PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I'm rereading Aces High, book two of Wild Cards, the other George R.R. Martin series that is always overlooked because maybe they are hard to find. What are others reading in the 11th month of the year?

message 2: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Not quite November 1 here yet, but close enough for me! I've got about 4 hours left in the audiobook Macbeth: A Novel. Since it looks like T & V won't announce a new book this week, once I finish Macbeth, I'll probably move into Solaris on audio (~9 hours, a recommendation from Luke @ SFBRP) and read Super Mario: How Nintendo Conquered America on the Kindle.

I've taken the week off work. Except for a procedure I'm having on Thursday, I'm figuring I'll be able to get a good bit of reading done.

Of course, if V & T do announce a new book, these plans may change. ;)

message 3: by Daniel (new)

Daniel Eavenson (dannyeaves) | 127 comments I'm about 1/2 way through Mr. Monster. 2nd part of the John Carver series. A pretty good modern day serial killer tale with some sword thrown in for awesome sauce.

message 4: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1145 comments Mod
I'm almost done with The Magician King Then I'll read whatever we pick next and finish Reamde.

message 5: by Brandon (new)

Brandon | 178 comments I am finishing up Dying Bites which was surprisingly good. I only picked it up on a white and it was on sale and I had to tear myself away from it last night to get some sleep.

message 6: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments I've started The Mists of Avalon, which was a Sword and Laser pick ages ago. I'll catch up eventually.

message 7: by Dennis (new)

message 8: by Kris (new)

message 9: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimherdt) | 71 comments I'm on the third and final book of the Axis of Time Trilogy - Final Impact by John Birmingham. I have thoroughly enjoyed this alternate history WWII saga.

Cheers, Jim

message 10: by Nick (new)

Nick (whyzen) | 1295 comments I will probably get back to working my way through the Warcraft novels and read Cycle of Hatred. Listening to Blood Rites and Daemon on Audible. If I get time I'll get back to finishing two series I've started by reading The Girl Who Played with Fire and A Storm of Swords.

message 11: by Dustin (new)

Dustin (tillos) | 365 comments Daniel wrote: "I'm about 1/2 way through Mr. Monster. 2nd part of the John Carver series. A pretty good modern day serial killer tale with some sword thrown in for awesome sauce."

Been considering starting that series,Dan Wells is a fun guy but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy a serial killer series.

I have a lot to read this month but I'm sticking with The Scorch Trials because of its size until The Alloy of Law comes out. Why did I hear so many complaints of cruelty to children in Hunger Games when this book has so much worse.

In HG they got stabbed, in this kids heads get slowly bitten off by metal pac-man and globs of molten steel melt off their faces. Is it simply because the head eating pac-men were made by other children.

message 12: by Sam (new)

Sam I am in the middle of Captain's Fury by Jim Butcher. I hope to finish the series pretty soon.

message 13: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments Went back to the old version of The Stand. Harold and Trashcan Man have arrived.

message 14: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Tamahome wrote: "Went back to the old version of The Stand. Harold and Trashcan Man have arrived."

Nice! The older version are hard to come by.

message 15: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments I just finished Ender's Game, I'm currently reading Speaker for the Dead and I only wish had I read them sooner.

message 16: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Boots wrote: "I just finished Ender's Game, I'm currently reading Speaker for the Dead and I only wish had I read them sooner."

All you going to read all 9 books in the Ender's series?

message 17: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Kevin wrote: "Boots wrote: "I just finished Ender's Game, I'm currently reading Speaker for the Dead and I only wish had I read them sooner."

All you going to read all 9 books in the Ender's series?"

I definitely plan on reading up to Xenocide, I guess I'll decide from there.

message 18: by Kevin (last edited Nov 01, 2011 08:14PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments Boots wrote: "Kevin wrote: "Boots wrote: "I just finished Ender's Game, I'm currently reading Speaker for the Dead and I only wish had I read them sooner."

All you going to read all 9 ..."

Good to know! I just a set of the first 8 books over the weekend.

message 19: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments Kevin wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "Went back to the old version of The Stand. Harold and Trashcan Man have arrived."

Nice! The older version are hard to come by."

It's actually my own copy of The Stand from 30 years ago, still with the bookmark halfway through! It's yellow, but in good condition. I have The Running Man too, that only says it's by Rchard Bachman, not Stephen King.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Tom wrote: "I'm almost done with The Magician King Then I'll read whatever we pick next and finish Reamde."
What do you think about The Magician King? I had a marginal experience with the first one but thought the second could help the story along...

message 21: by kvon (new)

kvon | 562 comments I finished re-reading Alphabet of Thorn. Next up is my book group read The Astounding, the Amazing, and the Unknown: A Novel. And I still have to finish the Half Made World--I'm half done.

message 22: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Jenny wrote: "What do you think about The Magician King? I had a marginal experience with the first one but thought the second could help the story along..."

Interestingly, it was your low review of The Magicians that made me take it off my "to read" list and Tom's enjoyment of it that made me put it back on (for audio).

I finished listening to Macbeth: A Novel today. I quite enjoyed it. It deviated a slight bit from the play, added some details that you wouldn't get just from reading the play. If you like Macbeth, I really recommend it. Later today I'm planning to start listening to Solaris, based on Luke's review. I might not get to it, though, with a large podcast backlog (this is what happens when I play hookey from work), so we'll see.

message 23: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennyc89) | 116 comments I'm continuing Anansi Boys, Exile, and I started The Last Unicorn yesterday.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments terpkristin wrote: "Interestingly, it was your low review of The Magicians that made me take it off my "to read" list and Tom's enjoyment of it that made me put it back on (for audio)."
*takes a moment to revel in the power*

Okay. So, which of us did you agree with?

message 25: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments Jenny overload!

message 26: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Jenny wrote: "Okay. So, which of us did you agree with?"

Haven't gotten to it yet. :D
I'm thinking my time right now (playing hookey from work) would be much better spent listening to books than watching Top Chef reruns while sorting through photos from various trips (and uploading to Flickr). Alas...

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Which season of Top Chef? I love the brothers + Chef Kevin, and the original Richard year....

message 28: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Just got Jack McDevitt's lastet, Firebird. Hope to get to it right after I finish Steve Jobs.

message 29: by Dennis (new)

Dennis Matheson (tanstaafl) | 31 comments Nokomis.FL wrote: "Just got Jack McDevitt's lastet, Firebird. Hope to get to it right after I finish Steve Jobs."
That's next on my list. Looking forward to some more Alex and Chase.

message 30: by Sam (new)

Sam I have tried reading A Game of Thrones about five times. This time I'm going to try it in audio book.

message 31: by Ben (new)

Ben | 116 comments Listening to the audiobook version of A Scanner Darkly read by Paul Giamatti. It's quite good so far.

message 32: by Don (new)

Don McDonald (dmmacs) | 114 comments Just about done with Song of Susannah an then will start The Dark Tower on Audible and reading For The Win and A Clash of Kings.

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim (kskryptonian) | 202 comments Ooh boy, November is a huge reading month for me because my wife does NaNoWriMo and the place has to be tomb quiet. This month, Abe Lincoln Vampire hunter, the fifth book of the Dresden files, a book about dog coaching, third book of the font of mice and pyres. Nonfiction will be Whedonistas from Mad Norwegian Press and a whole bunch of chapbooks from Yard Dog. Bubbas of the Apocalypse and such.

Oh, and my wife thinks I am writing a NaNoWriMo. But I dunno if I have the time.

message 34: by Boots (new)

Boots (rubberboots) | 499 comments Jim wrote: "...a book about dog coaching..."

Is your dog on a team?

message 35: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6087 comments

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Tamahome wrote: ""
Ditto, only technically I finished yesterday. Reading twins!

message 37: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments What is that book?

message 38: by Tamahome (new)

message 39: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Tamahome wrote: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time  by Mark Haddon"

Darn you. I went to the SFFAudio spreadsheet and saw it's upcoming as a readalong. So now I'm downloading it. I expect I'll finish Solaris: The Definitive Edition tomorrow, so I'll jump into it then...

message 40: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Jenny wrote: "Tom wrote: "I'm almost done with The Magician King Then I'll read whatever we pick next and finish Reamde."
What do you think about The Magician King? I had a marginal experience w..."

Just finished and I liked the 2nd one better than the first. I was greatly entertained by the first but in a novelty way. A little deeper than Ready Player One but a little bit of the same feel. I liked the characters and setting enough to try King and I think it was much better.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments Tom wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Tom wrote: "I'm almost done with The Magician King Then I'll read whatever we pick next and finish Reamde."
What do you think about The Magician King? I had a margina..."

Thanks Tom. I feel I should give him another shot.

terpkristin wrote: "Tamahome wrote: "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time  by Mark Haddon"

Darn you. I went to the SFFAudio spreadsheet and saw it's upcoming as a readalong. So now I'm downloading it. I..."

Audio or eBook? It is pretty quick either way. Muahaha.

message 42: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4117 comments Audio. Was cheap on Audible.

message 43: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Agreed

message 44: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I love The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time. I found a copy sitting in my math room for 6 month in high school, and read it Thanksgiving four years ago. I find it to be a really unique and interesting novel.

message 45: by Pupsi (new)

Pupsi (pupsiphull) | 23 comments Currently listening to Old Man's Warand reading Blindsight. And planning to read the Steve Jobsbook and Snuffduring November.

Should keep me busy.

message 46: by Icelord (new)

Icelord | 35 comments I'm just the most exciting guy, I know: reading several reports on services/organizations that serve the homeless in Central Florida (for academic research). Oy!

message 47: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

I'm listening to Life & Fate from Audible. It is neither sword nor laser.

message 48: by Tracy (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:47AM) (new)

Tracy (tberggie) Currently reading The Affinity Bridge by George Mann on my Nook, and have Clementine by Cherie Priest loaded up and on deck. kinda Steampunky start to the month it seams

message 49: by Jenny (Reading Envy) (last edited Nov 05, 2011 07:51AM) (new)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2832 comments I'm reading the last of the Giller prize nominees that I can get my hands on (two are unpublished in the states still), so finishing up with The Cat's Table. I've been listening to Skippy Dies from Audible which is really fun on audio with all the Irish accents and multiple voices.

I'm also binge-re-reading The Sprawl Trilogy by William Gibson, including Burning Chrome, the book of short stories that came before.

message 50: by Joshua (new)

Joshua James I'm reading the first book of the Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson, and am struggling a bit, for all the reasons you are probably well aware of if you've ever tried to read this tale as an adult. I'm pressing forward, close to halfway, but Hellfire! it's a slog at times.

I'm also listening to Black House by King & Straub, and I actually like it a lot better than The Talisman so far. Oh, and long live Frank Muller.

« previous 1 3 4