Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

what's the most recent you've read?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 230 (230 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I just finished "Dead Man's Mirror" last night. I think I've only read about 20 A.C.'s so far but I'm determined to read them all.

message 2: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 4 comments I don't beleive i know that title. I'll have to check it out.

message 3: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Hickory Dickory Dock...I was amused because one of the characters is named Valerie. :)

message 4: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicehatter) | 7 comments Mod
I think the last one I read was Five Little Pigs? Can't be sure. I binged on a whole bunch early this summer, read ten in one go. XD

message 5: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I finished "Elephants Can Remember" a few days ago. I believe it was published just a couple of years before her death, in 1972, so her characters talk of the current fashions and boys with long hair.

message 6: by Alice (new)

Alice (alicehatter) | 7 comments Mod
I haven't read that one yet I think, I really want to though.

I'd feel so odd though, reading an AC novel that's set so much after the 50's and 60s... imagining Poirot or Miss Marple in the 70's just seems really alien. >_o

message 7: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I thought it was "not right" also. I always want to see her characters with bobbed hair and 30's fashion, and I think that's why she kept reminding the reader that the story takes place in 1972.
To be honest, and I just adore AC, this book is not one of her greats. I thought it was strange that I had never heard it mentioned before. She was quite elderly when she wrote it and perhaps just wanted to keep writing.

message 8: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments Finished Hercule Poirot's Christmas, which I do recommend. This one kept me guessing to the very end.

message 9: by Eric (new)

Eric | 1 comments I am reading Agatha Christie for the first time in years, and am enjoying it very much. It seemed perfect to read the Mouse Trap on a snowy weekend in Minneapolis. For years, my son and I have enjoyed watching the British TV productions of Poirot and Miss Marple, but I was never a reader of her books. I included several things about Christie in my new book. She led an interesting life.

http://abookofages.com

message 10: by Novin (new)

Novin | 28 comments I've just started dead in the clouds.

message 11: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I've just finished "The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding" and recommend it. It's a collection of short mysteries, some only 15-20 pages long. It's notable for one story being about a theft rather than murder. My favorite was "The Underdog" which manages to be quite complex in so few pages.

message 12: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I've started Murder at Hazelmoor (The Sittaford Mystery], one of her very early ones and one that features neither Poirot or Marple.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan (ssr11) | 1 comments I've just started Evil Under The Sun. I loved the movie, but for some reason never got around to reading the book. Will let you all know if the movie did it justice or not.

message 14: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 300 comments Last month I read 3 AC's, all for different readign groups on Yahoo. The Secret of Chimneys, The Moving Finger and The Peril at End House. I knew the solutions to the last two from watching the movies. But they were a pleasure to read none the less.I hadn't read The Secret of Chimneys before, at least not that I remember and I liked it too.

message 15: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments Christine- That's why I TiVo all the Christies and Sherlock Holmes shows. I try to save them until I've had the chance to read the book first but sometimes I can't wait, LOL.
I've just finished "Murder At Hazelmoor" and really enjoyed it. It was unusual in that there are actually three people doing simultaneous investigations.

☠☼Serena☼☠ | 7 comments Mod
i just re-read And Then There Were None..
mi class is doing it as a play lolz :D :D

im Emily Brent! :D the emo lolz
shez a reallliiii big bitch to vera tho :S

message 17: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I've just started "Mrs. McGinty's Dead".

message 18: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (xjust4kix) | 2 comments im currently reading halloween party!

message 19: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments Zoe- that was a great one, I really liked it!

message 20: by LeOta (new)

LeOta (berrylota) | 22 comments I have been reading "Masterpieces in Miniature: The Detectives: Stories" and really enjoying it.

I read a short story here and there.

☠☼Serena☼☠ | 7 comments Mod
cool!!!!
my drama class decided to drop And Then There Were None!! im sooooo sad :(
i had all mii lines memorized!

but now i'm writing the play for the class! yayy!!!

message 22: by Novin (new)

Novin | 28 comments I'm gonna continue reading Dead Man's Folly ,I've read a couple of pages , I started it long time ago('bout 5 months!), but I wasn't in the mood for Agath Christie at that time, so I put it away! has anyone read it?

message 23: by Saad (new)

Saad Hyatt (saadhyatt) | 10 comments I have read Dead Man's Folly. In my humble opinion it is one of Agatha Christie's best considering its superb ending.You should definitely read it. POIROT AT HIS VERY BEST.

message 24: by Novin (new)

Novin | 28 comments Oh, sure i will!

message 25: by Saad (last edited Mar 13, 2009 02:40PM) (new)

Saad Hyatt (saadhyatt) | 10 comments i have got a few unread Christie books resting up my shelve, just gotta pick one out and start reading. i like to keep the best for the last so titles like Death on the nile, ABC murders and Orient Express will have to wait while i read Postern of Fate. Before that i read Poirot's Early cases and i found them as good as Sherlock's short stories(now thats a major compliment because they were classics). so looking forward to some classic Christie novels.

message 26: by Tomiko-chan (new)

Tomiko-chan | 1 comments i've been read agatha christie for 7 years. almost 60s of her books...
my favorite is "why didn't they ask evans?"

message 27: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I've started "Black Coffee". The cover says it's an adaption of Agatha Christie. Maybe a novelization of one of her plays?

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Craig | 3 comments My last one was "The Thirteen Problems".

message 29: by Anna (new)

Anna Elliott (annaelliott) | 1 comments I'm just re-reading One Two, Buckle My Shoe now.

message 30: by Novin (new)

Novin | 28 comments I'm readin three-act tragedy

message 31: by Saad (new)

Saad Hyatt (saadhyatt) | 10 comments I just finished "Five Little Pigs" and i must say it is one of Chrsitie's finest works.

message 32: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I've just started "Endless Night".

message 33: by Edie (new)

Edie Kestenbaum | 2 comments I've read "And then There Were None" and it was the most suspensful, thrilling read from her yet. I am now reading a collection of her short stories starring Hercule Poirot, Miss Marple, Harley Quin & Mr. Satterthwaite, and Parker Pyne.

message 34: by Sam (new)

Sam Harkin (sammydeedge) | 2 comments Hi! I'm reading a crime collection book (3 in 1) and I have Death on Nile and Towards Zero and I'm about halfway through After the funeral.

message 35: by Novin (new)

Novin | 28 comments jennifer wrote: "I've just started "Endless Night"."

I love that one!

message 36: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments It was so unusual for Christie and I enjoyed it. It has a slow, sinister build up that reminded me of du Maurier's "Rebecca".

message 37: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments I'm halfway through "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" in anticipation of the upcoming Masterpiece Mystery episode. Last week's "A Pocketful of Rye" was great.

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I have started And then there were none.

message 39: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments My latest is "The Man in the Brown Suit". It had several elements that are unusual for Christie-half the book takes place in hot South Africa during a revolution and there is more romance than we usually see from her.

message 40: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) jennifer wrote: "I'm halfway through "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" in anticipation of the upcoming Masterpiece Mystery episode. Last week's "A Pocketful of Rye" was great."

Were you able to watch Mystery? I watched and enjoyed it.

message 41: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) Right now I am reading The Tuesday Club Murders.

message 42: by Julie (new)

Julie Golding Page (snowgirl) Regarding "The Man in the Brown Suit," I saw the TV movie version of it as a teenager in the 80s, when I hadn't yet "met" Agatha Christie's works. I loved the movie, which was starring Stephanie Zimbalist of Remington Steele fame. Anyone know if this movie is available on DVD?

message 43: by jennifer (new)

jennifer (mascarawand) | 95 comments Julie, I read The Man...in anticipation of the Masterpiece episode, and then almost forgot to watch it. I caught about the last 45 minutes. It actually confused me for a while, since Miss Marple isn't in the book but there she was sleuthing in the show. I was happy to see one of my favorites, Rik Mayall, playing the doctor.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

I am reading And then there were none for the 100th time. Have you guys played And then there were none video game for wii? It is Awesome!

message 45: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) Kambree wrote: "I am reading And then there were none for the 100th time. Have you guys played And then there were none video game for wii? It is Awesome!"

Have you seen the movie or play? The movie is good.

message 46: by Valerie (new)

Valerie There is a movie and Wii game? That sounds awesome! And Then There Were None is one of my all-time favorites books.

message 47: by Christy (new)

Christy Brannen (murdermostbritish) | 300 comments Valerie wrote: "There is a movie and Wii game? That sounds awesome! And Then There Were None is one of my all-time favorites books."

There actually three movies based on the book. The first, I think is from around 1945 and is very VERY good. It's based most closely on the book.

Then there was a remake moving it to a winter chalet that is pretty good. Then there was another remake, around 1965 I think, and the location is an African safari. I didn't care ofr this one as much. But, enjoy them all for a change of pace!

message 48: by Valerie (new)

Valerie That sounds really neat, thanks for the info!

message 49: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) Just started The Body in the Library.

message 50: by Julie (new)

Julie M Maioriello (jewelsmm) Finished The Body in the Library last night and today I'm starting The Moving Finger.

« previous 1 3 4 5