We Love Lisa Kleypas discussion

Archives - Challenges > August's Build Your Own Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 215 (215 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Aug 24, 2011 09:44AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments August's Build Your Own Challenge

Duration - August 1st - August 31st.

If you’ve done this before, you know the drill. If not, here’s how it works –

The challenges in this group are designed to be not very challenging, hence the title, Not Too Challenging Challenges. That means that you get to design the challenge around the books you want to read and the only requirement is that the books somehow remind you of August.

Some ideas might be –
**Books that are published in August.
**Books whose author or a character is named August.
**Stories that have something to do with kids heading back to school, or family vacations, etc.
** August is one of the hottest months of the year, so maybe you’ll pick books with super hot covers.

Did you know that the month of August is –

**Admit You're Happy Month
**Family Fun Month
**National Catfish Month
**National Eye Exam Month
**National Golf Month
**Peach Month
**Romance Awareness Month !!!! This is an easy one!!!
**Water Quality Month
**National Picnic Month

**Weekly Events:

**Week 1 National Simplify your Life Week
**Week 2 National Smile Week
**Week 3 Friendship Week
**Week 4 Be Kind to Humankind Week

So you see, with a little imagination it’s very easy to find books that will work in these challenges! If you have no imagination at all, copy someone else's challenge1

The only restriction is that you can’t begin reading for this challenge until August 1st, and you must be finished on or before August 31st.

Please list your stats at the top of the page so I can easily spot them and update them.

message 2: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Sep 02, 2011 09:13AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Participants

Alycia--------------10/10 - - - Done!
BJ Rose-------------------8/8 - - - Done!!!
Dhes----------------------10/10 - - - Done!!!!
Gaynell-----------------------8/8 - - - Done!!
Hanie-------------22 - - - Done!!!!!!!!!!
Jennifer--------------8 - - -Done!!!!!!!
Joy-----------------------10/10 - - -Done!!!
Juliana----------------------x/15
Lady Danielle------------------10/10 - - - Done!!!
Lady Leah----------------------------25/
Laura #1 --------------------------------5/7
Laura #2---------------------2/4
LethalLovely----------------6/10
Mandy
Robin
Ruth
Tai-ye-sha-------------

message 3: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Aug 30, 2011 10:34PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Dhes' August's Build Your Own Challenge - Romance Awareness Month Nothing But Romances Challenge

10/10/

1. A Touch of Crimson - Done!
2. Go Wild - Done!
3. Yours To Keep - Done!
4. Lord of Rage - Done!!
5. Liberating Lacey - Done!
6. Holding The Cards - Done!!
7. Natural Law - Done!!
8. Unclaimed - Done!! OH SO GOOD!!!
9. Ice Queen - Done!!!
10. Mirror of My Soul - Done!

The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (Highland Pleasures, #3) by Jennifer Ashley A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day Go Wild by Juniper Bell Yours To Keep (Kowalski Family, #3) by Shannon Stacey Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2) by Jill Monroe Liberating Lacey by Anne Calhoun Holding The Cards (Nature of Desire, #1) by Joey W. Hill Natural Law (Nature of Desire, #2) by Joey W. Hill Unclaimed (Turner, #2) by Courtney Milan Ice Queen (Nature of Desire, #3) by Joey W. Hill Mirror of My Soul (Nature of Desire, #4) by Joey W. Hill

message 4: by Alycia (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments I'm in for 10. I'll post as I go

message 5: by Leah (new)

Leah (nickyoflaherty) I'm in. Don't know how many but I'll post as I go as usual.

message 6: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments YAY! And I'm sorry I screwed up the event invite. I made for August 1-August 1st.

*sigh*

Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana (AfricanLioness) | 26 comments I'm in for 6 post as I go. I would do more but classes start in august lol

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah (nickyoflaherty) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "YAY! And I'm sorry I screwed up the event invite. I made for August 1-August 1st.

*sigh*"

Did you? I didn't even notice. LOL

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Lady Leah Westcliff wrote: "Did you? I didn't even notice. LOL "

And I was so pleased with myself. I was so careful... then after they were sent and I got the event page I saw it. GAH!

Oh well. I try.

message 10: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷTai•ye•shaƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ wrote: "I'm in for 6 post as I go. I would do more but classes start in august lol"

Hey, if you have time to read more, go for it! But school comes first!

message 11: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments I'll sign up. I'm still thinking about my challenge though.

message 12: by Leah (new)

Leah (nickyoflaherty) UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "And I was so pleased with myself. I was so careful... then after they were sent and I got the event page I saw it. GAH!

Oh well. I try."

LOL! Poor Dhes...

message 13: by Gaynell (new)

Gaynell (GaynellK) | 268 comments Count me in.

message 14: by Lacy (new)

Lacy (lacylaces) | 22 comments I'm in. One day I will succeed. Could be this month...

message 15: by Robin (new)

Robin UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "August's Build Your Own Challenge

Duration - August 1st - August 31st.

If you’ve done this before, you know the drill. If not, here’s how it works –
Ok I will think about this one I am startting IAD and Finishing Breed
so if that works Count me in

The challenges in this group are des..."

message 16: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments It works if you want it to, Robin!

message 17: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Lacy wrote: "I'm in. One day I will succeed. Could be this month..."

You never know until you try, true?

message 18: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments Count me in again! Since I've been meeting my goal of reading 6 TBR books the past couple of months, I will up my goal for August to reading 7 books from my TBR pile.

message 19: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Jul 24, 2011 09:45PM) (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments I'm in, though have no idea what I'll do yet! I'm now a challenge-addict, so am unable to resist even if I wanted to ;-).

message 20: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Juliana wrote: "I'm now a challenge-addict, so am unable to resist even if I wanted to ;-). ."

Welcome to the dark side.

We have cookies!

message 21: by Ruth (last edited Jul 24, 2011 10:24PM) (new)

Ruth Hill (ruthhill74) | 14 comments I want to do this, but I have to admit that I don't have much a theme. Three of these books are romances, but the main thing here is that these are all books I have to read for review!

Steps to Courage
The Lady of Bolton Hill
Only You, Sierra
Summer Promise

message 22: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Well, Ruth, since August is National Romance Awareness Month, your books work! :)

message 23: by C Joy (last edited Jul 25, 2011 05:20AM) (new)

C Joy (yurioujo) | 78 comments I'm in! This is more like cleaning up my reading queue:

0/11

Lacey Alexander's Brides of Caralon series
1) Seductress of Caralon
2) Rituals of Passion
3) Master of Desire
4) Carnal Sacrifice

Robert Liparulo's Dreamhouse Kings series
1) House of Dark Shadows
2) Watcher in the Woods
3) Gatekeepers
4) Timescape
5) Whirlwind

Kresley Cole's The Sutherland Brothers series
1) The Captain of All Pleasures
2) The Price of Pleasure

message 24: by Gaynell (last edited Aug 21, 2011 01:32PM) (new)

Gaynell (GaynellK) | 268 comments I'll read eight books - whatever suits my fancy. If they don't work for my other two challenges, they can work for this!

1. Killing Me Softly Completed 8/3/11
2. Family Blessings Completed 8/5/11
3. Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day Completed 8/6/11
4. Shadowflame Completed 8/8/11
5. Out of the Dark Completed 8/10/11
6. Down River Completed 8/11/11
7. Bet Me Completed 8/12/11
8. Montana Sky Completed 8/21/11

message 25: by Desperado (new)

Desperado (LethalLovely) I'm in! Since August is the last month of Summer & Fall is right around the corner, my goal is to read 5 FIS (first-in-series) books & 5 NIS (next-in-series) books.

August BYOC
Goal: 0/10 Completed

First in Series

Next in Series

message 26: by Laura (last edited Aug 01, 2011 08:52AM) (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments August Build Your Own Challenge- read 7 books from my TBR pile including my monthly book club selection.

0 / 7 completed

1. The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins ^

^ Book club selection

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Landon (lauralandon) | 108 comments I'm in for my first-ever reading challenge! Compared to all the other challengers' goals, my goal is pathetic, but since I'm on deadline, my time is limited. So, I pledge to read 4 books - 1 book a week during August - in keeping with Romance Awareness Month!

I'll decide what books to read when I start.

message 28: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Glad you are doing a challenge, Laura!

Lacy, you can do it this month!

message 29: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (last edited Jul 25, 2011 06:34PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Laura wrote: "I'm in for my first-ever reading challenge! Compared to all the other challengers' goals, my goal is pathetic, but since I'm on deadline, my time is limited. So, I pledge to read 4 books - 1 book a..."

Laura, I'm glad you joined!!!

I need to assign you a number or letter so I don't confuse you with the other Laura, so I'm making you Laura #2. When you post your stats, would you please put your name, Laura #2, at the top of the page? Or if you prefer I can use the initial of your last name, or any other initial or nickname you'd like! Just let me know.

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Landon (lauralandon) | 108 comments I'd LOVE to be Laura #2!

message 31: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Laura wrote: "I'd LOVE to be Laura #2!"

YAY! :)

message 32: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (heartlandreading) I'll join this one also. Put me down for 4 again this month. I might read more since I'm on vacation. I'll post them as I go.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura (filoviridae) | 783 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Laura, I'm glad you joined!!!

I need to assign you a number or letter so I don't confuse you with the other Laura, so I'm making you Laura #2. When you post your stats, would you please put your name, Laura #2, at the top of the page? Or if you prefer I can use the initial of your last name, or any other initial or nickname you'd like! Just let me know.
..."

Yes! I'm #1! :P

message 34: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Jul 26, 2011 06:52AM) (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote:"Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies!"

LOLOLOL! Great, well at least there's a (yummy) bonus to balance out this new time-and-money-consuming-addiction ;-)

message 35: by Laura (new)

Laura Landon (lauralandon) | 108 comments Yes! I'm #1!:P

Yes, you are!!! I'll gladly be #2!!!

message 36: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Glover | 576 comments Hi!!! Count me in! Now that ball season is over and kids are going back to school, I can do what I want for a change! LOL!!

message 37: by Juliana Philippa (last edited Sep 08, 2011 03:00PM) (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments * * * CHALLENGE * * *
* * * COMPLETED * * *
14/10 read

We Love Lisa Kleypas: August's Build Your Own Challenge
Duration: August 1 - August 31

My Self-Styled All About A's Challenge to Celebrate August!

* Book takes place somewhere that starts with A
Butterfly Unpinned by Laura Bacchi and Bonnie Dee (Arizona) --- August 12th | 4.5 stars
Intimate Friends by Claire Matthews (Austin, Texas) --- August 10th | 4.5 stars

* At least one of the main characters' name begins with an A
Nothing Stays In Vegas by Elena Aitken (Alexis) --- August 31st | 2.5 stars
Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James (Anastasia) --- August 17th | 5+ stars
In Total Surrender by Anne Mallory (Andreas) --- August 27th | 4 stars

* There are A's throughout the main characters' names
Dangerous Race by Dee J. Adams (Tracey Bradshaw, Mac Reynolds) --- August 22nd | 4.5 stars
Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale (Trevelyan d'Agustin, Callista Taillefaire) Aug 10th | 4 stars

* An adjective that starts with the letter A describes one or both of the main characters
Whisper Falls by Toni Blake (both are artists) --- August 11th | 4.5 stars
The Portrait by Megan Chance (Jonas is an artist) --- August 13th | 5+ stars
The Sweetest Tattoo by Cameron Dane (Kelsie is a tattoo artist) --- August 8th | 4 stars
Release by Beth Kery (Genny is an artist) --- August 4th | 4 stars
Unleashed by Cherrie Lynn (Evan is an attorney) --- August 29th | 4.5 stars
Don't Call Her Angel by Cara McKenna (Rasul is Arab-Israeli) --- August 23rd | 3.5 stars
Destiny United by Leia Shaw (Erin is an alcoholic) --- August 6th | 1 star / DNF

Butterfly Unpinned by Laura Bacchi Intimate Friends by Claire Matthews Nothing Stays In Vegas by Elena Aitken Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1) by E.L. James In Total Surrender (Secrets, #3) by Anne Mallory Dangerous Race (Danger, #1) by Dee J. Adams Lessons in French by Laura Kinsale
Whisper Falls (Destiny, #3) by Toni Blake The Portrait by Megan Chance The Sweetest Tattoo (Cabin Fever, #1) by Cameron Dane Release by Beth Kery Unleashed (Ross Siblings, #1) by Cherrie Lynn Don't Call Her Angel by Cara McKenna Destiny United (Shadows of Destiny, #2) by Leia Shaw

message 38: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Clever challenge, Juliana!!

message 39: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Certifiable St. Vinnie's Ninny (last edited Jul 30, 2011 04:54AM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 3737 comments Danielle's August WWLK BYOC
Goal: Read books in each designated category
Update:
Completed:X/10

1. Read two historical romances by a new author:
a.
b.
2. Read two fantasy/urban fantasy books:
a.
b.
3. Read a contemporary romance novel:
4. Read three category romances:
a.
b.
c.
5. Read a sci-fi, horror, or dark fantasy novel:
6. Read a non-romance novel:

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura Landon (lauralandon) | 108 comments Laura #2's BYOC
Read four (4) romance books all starting with the letter A - for AUGUST!

1. Anything for Love - Connie Brockway
2. A Little Bit WIld - Victoria Dahl
3. the Abduction of Julia - Karen Hawkins
4. A Bed of Spices - Barbara Samuel

Anything for Love by Connie Brockway A Little Bit Wild (York Family, #1) by Victoria Dahl The Abduction of Julia (Rogues, #1) by Karen Hawkins A Bed of Spices by Barbara Samuel

message 41: by Juliana Philippa (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Clever challenge, Juliana!!"

Thanks Dhestiny! At first I tried to do really convoluted connections to August, but then I decided to go a little simpler ... let's hope I can get them all read! I've instituted the rule that I can use a book for no more than two challenges, so still maybe "cheating," but it will help me get through my new addiction of joining challenges!

message 42: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments It's not cheating in THIS group! And I do it all the time. For me, the Spell it Out! Challenges are the hardest, so I usually create that first then make the challenges for the other challenges fit that one somehow. Like my All Thing Summer challenge... I'm taking advantage of the Lazy Days of Summer and reading what I want when I want and being as "lazy" as possible about following any challenge rules.... so EVERYTHING works! LOL!

message 43: by Juliana Philippa (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "EVERYTHING works!"

Those are the kind of rules I like ;-)

message 44: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Juliana wrote: "Those are the kind of rules I like ;-) "

Yep... just sayin'...

message 45: by Juliana Philippa (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Juliana wrote: "Those are the kind of rules I like ;-) "

Yep... just sayin'..."

So I've decided you're right - we should make our own rules ... so I am no longer limiting myself to two challenges per book. Big cheer for taking the easy route! May the Challenge Gods and Goddesses strike me down if they wish. :-P

message 46: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish, Your Humble Servant (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish | 8001 comments Juliana wrote: "May the Challenge Gods and Goddesses strike me down if they wish. :-P "

They can't, they don't have the password to this folder ;)

message 47: by Juliana Philippa (new)

Juliana Philippa (julianaphilippa) | 21 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "They can't, they don't have the password to this folder ;)"

LOL, whew!

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura Landon (lauralandon) | 108 comments Just want everyone to know that my finger is ready to open Anything for Love by Connie Brockway on my Kindle! Alarm set for the stroke of midnight when I can begin my first reading challenge! I'm determined to be a success! Oh, can't wait!

message 49: by BJ Rose (new)

BJ Rose (BJRose) | 848 comments Since August is the 8th month AND is Romance Awareness Month, I'll be reading 8 romances. Will start this challenge with the Queen of Regencies by reading The Reluctant Widow - rest of list to follow.

message 50: by Alycia (last edited Jul 31, 2011 11:21AM) (new)

Alycia | 1478 comments Laura wrote: "Just want everyone to know that my finger is ready to open Anything for Love by Connie Brockway on my Kindle! Alarm set for the stroke of midnight when I can begin my first reading challenge! I'm ..."

Laura, that Brockway book looks good.

« previous 1 3 4 5