Start by marking “Bet Me” as Want to Read:
Bet Me

Bet Me

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  80,724 ratings  ·  3,509 reviews
Minerva Dobbs knows that happily-ever-after is a fairy tale, especially with a man who asked her to dinner to win a bet. Even if he is gorgeous and successful Calvin Morrisey. Cal knows commitment is impossible, especially with a woman as cranky as Min Dobbs. Even if she does wear great shoes and keeps him on his toes. When they say good-bye at the end of their evening, th ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published August 31st 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Bet Me, please sign up.
allie THis is my FAVOURITE book, honnestly it's funny, it's cute, it's light, love love love it!
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Laura To learn to love yourself for who you are and how you are wired, not for anyone else's expectations or approval.

·  80,724 ratings  ·  3,509 reviews

D.G.
Jul 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
After reading this, I don’t think I’ll eat Chicken Marsala ever again.

The heroine of this book ate Chicken Marsala in two different restaurants, twice for takeout, at a wedding, at a dinner with her friends and cooked it 4 times with different levels of success. I don’t know if there’s anything more boring than a person who never tries anything new (if I’d been the hero, I’d have stopped dating her just because of this.)

I enjoyed the first part of the book – the humor was not over the top and
Anne
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute story, but I'm still not sold on Jennifer Cruise.
I've read this one and Welcome to Temptation, which are supposed to be her top two books and my feelings for both are overwhelmingly...ok. I know she's supposed to be one of the queens of Chick-lit, so this leads me to believe that Chick-lit will never be my jam.
Which is fine.

Ok.
Min is chubby. And Min is always gonna be chubby. She doesn't magically lose the weight then find her prince charming. And prince charming (Cal) isn't one of those gu
• Lisa •
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ROMANCE/CHIC LIT LOVERS.
Recommended to • Lisa • by: Anna
5 'DONUT' STARS.

description

A fabulously written book with plenty of heart and soul, low on the drama and high on the humour, 'Bet me' is a book that all romance lovers should have on their 'I need to read' shelves. My book heart was crying out for a chic-lit fix, so with a few recommendations for this book under my belt I decided to forge ahead and reconnect with my first love of reading style. This author did not disappoint 'Bet me' was a gorgeously funny and romantic escape and i'm left with a huge smile
Lady Heather
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance, humor
Recommended to Lady Heather by: Duchess Nicole

WOW!
Great story!
Excellent writing!
Amazing Characters!

Min..

Great decision!

Cal...

We KNOW you didn't make the bet

so..

.. in the end

it made me want to eat LOTS, AND LOTS of Krispy Kreme donuts!.. *sigh*
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
5 Beautifully Insane Stars

This book was...bizarre but so damn charming. It was full of light humour and absolutely free of drama. It is a book you read when you need something to pick you up. I'm so glad I read it!

The main characters were mostly insane...really. We have "Min" who after being dumbed by the world's biggest idiot goes into her "all men are pigs" phase, and we have "Calvin", the comitment-phobe, who gets entangled in a stupid bet against his will. They are our main couple. She is a
Tea Jovanović
Drage moje, vidim da ste je mnoge pročitale... i da se većini dopala... drago mi je (kao uredniku knjige)... :) Jednom rečju, šta god da pročitate od ove autorke lepo ćete se zabaviti, nasmejati... Pravi laki, zabavni, i A klase "ženski" romani... Beach read :)
Michelle
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Fairy Tales Do Come True Stars!
It's been a long time since I've read a JC book. I remember her always putting a smile on my face and once again JC had me smiling and laughing many times.
I loved Mim and Cal! Hell I loved everybody in this book!
I might have liked it so much because Mim and Cal acted like enemies instead of lovers. lol All because of a bet made between Mim's ex David and Cal (which Mim over hears). So Mim starts off hating Cal right away and is quick to shoot down his charmin
Mo
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Until recently, this was not available on KINDLE in Europe and I really wanted to read it so what's a girl to do - had to order the paperback. Loved it. No sooner had I the paperback than it became available on KINDLE in Europe. What's a girl to do? Download it and read it again ... Great, great story.

Didi
Jun 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
4.5 STARS!

Sometimes I find myself discovering a new to me author, and thinking...WHERE THE HELL HAVE I BEEN?? Why haven't I heard of Jennifer Crusie before now? Despicable.
And because I'm late into the game, I won't bother explaining what this book is all about. I loved it. I loved Cal. Truly loved that dream of a book boyfriend. He was honest, sweet, considerate, giving, loving and an an all around true gentleman. The scene where they're eating chicken Marsala--umm...YUM!--and he describes how
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 1.5 stars. Because I'm in a good mood today.

Warning: the gif is strong with this one. Again.

Why? Why the bloody fish did I do this to myself? Because I'm a first-class idiot, that's why. And because I'm a complete, utter, total masochist, that's also why.

Yep, that's me, the human piñata.

Okay, let's get this over with as quickly and painlessly as possible. This book made me feel like:

And also like:

And also, also like:

All in all this proved to be a charmingly delightful reading ex
Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
Recommended to Ⓐlleskelle - teamSøren♗ ⊲I like big b00ks⊳ by: Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ 5 STARS ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

You know when you read a great book when, not even in the middle of it, all you can think of is :

I was seriously beating myself up with this the whole time! It felt so good to read this book!

To sum it up quickly, I loved it for a lot of reasons but mainly :

1 - Dialogues
Jennifer Crusie knows how to make her characters talk! Vividly!

2 - Humor
I was really laughing out loud at some quotes or situations! This book is filled with sarcasm and high quality banter.
I know you stole
Viri
Reseña en el blog!!!

Hace mucho tiempo que no disfrutaba tanto leer un libro. En este caso, es una relectura. Sip, lo sé... ¿Yo releyendo algo? en otra vida quizás. Jajaja, pues NO. Lo hice y I REGRET NOTHING!
description

LO AMO. LO AMO. LO AMO. ESTE ES ESE TIPO DE LIBROS QUE TIENES QUE LEER. LO AMOOOOOOOOOOO.

Un poco bizarra la situación en la que se comienza a desarrollar la relación pero me encantó tanto o más que la primera vez.
Este libro es único. No tiene ningún
♥Sharon♥
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

This was a nice little surprise. I didn’t even have it on my TBR list. I was scrolling through my FB feed about a month ago and Susan Elizabeth Philips posted something about it. She loved it so I one clicked it. How could I go wrong!

Bet Me had a great cast of characters. I adored the heroine Min. She was strong, funny, sweet, and very relatable. I’d love to have her in my circle of friends. The hero Cal was perfectly flawed and he too was very relatable. Their story was a fairy tale o
Norah Una Sumner
It all started with a bet ...

One exciting and incredibly fun chick lit novel that will make you laugh and make you think about whether a happy ending is really possible and theory of chaos real.

Min is serious. Cal is a charmer. Min is ready for something more. Cal is not known for serious relationships. Min is angry at men, especially after her last relationship. Cal is not ready for a woman who will tell him "NO". Min is a curvy brunette. Cal likes blondes. And they definitely hate each other.

B
Duchess Nicole
I needed this book! It seems as if all of the books I read lately are such intense reads. Bet Me was the perfect reprieve. From the first page, it was just so much fun! I mean, she introduces her "R rated pixie" friend on like page five. The intro scene is Min in a bar with her friends while her boyfriend is breaking up with her. It's obvious that she couldn't care less. That is, until she overhears the bet being made with the "Hunka hunka burnin' love" standing next to her new ex.
Call is the p
Karla

5 Stars!! This is my 3rd time reading, or rather this go around I listened to the audio version. Still a 5 star book, the audio version was wonderful, and Deanna Hurst rocked the read. The story still had the same impact it did when I read it the first and second time. One of my favorite plump girl...full figure...curvy women reads! I smiled like an idiot from beginning to end! Calvin Morrisey is the sweetest guy ever...I love him!

Original review posted 2/11

Great book. Lots of fun, loads of laug
Sonia De la rosa
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Leer reseña completa en el blog

Creo que con esta vez es la cuarta que leo este libro, es uno de ésos libros que siempre recurro cuando estoy pasando por una época en que no consigo que ninguna novela me enganché, siempre que lo leo la historia me atrapa de una forma que hace que lo devore y esté hasta la madrugada para terminarlo (menos mal que siempre me lo leo en sábado).
Es una novela ágil, divertida (de las que te hacen reír a carcajadas) y muy románti
bibliophile (Romance Addict)

This book is HILARIOUS!! & CUTE!

photo tumblr_mw09vsYPLi1sd2ssjo1_500.gif

Story:

We meet Min, a woman who doesn't care much about her looks, and is characterized by her friends as plain. After breaking up with her boyfriend, she decides to go out to dinner with a guy who wants to win a bet on her. Calvin is gorgeous, and man whore, a guy who woman shouldn't get too close to, but when coincident plays in the role, Cal & Min gets closer together, and might possibly fall in love. However, will they last together?

“Nobody in my lif
Grecia Robles
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me encantó 😄😄😄, desde el principio me hizo reír mucho es de esos libros que sirven para mejorar tu estado de ánimo para enamorarte y hacerte sonreír

Al principio es una historia de amor-odio donde los personajes no se toleran, se conocen en un bar y por una apuesta van a una cita que resulta ser desastrosa y ellos lo único que quieren hacer es no volverse a ver pero por azares del destino se vuelven a ver una y otra vez parece que esta empeñado en que estén juntos.

Min y Cal tienen una gran quími
Anuradha
EDIT - 16/02/2017: I had a horrible day today (well, yesterday), and amidst all my bitchiness and PMS and crying and general bad mood, I couldn't find enough chocolate. Anywhere. So yeah, I read this book again; I don't really know why, and it really made me feel better. I'm upping this to five stars.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Hallelujah! A book written for women where the heroine is not a klutz or a bimbo or a stereotype.

Meet Minerva Dobbs, a slightly chubby actuary who doesn't seem to have much luck i
Natasha
Don't you just love it when you re-read a book you haven't read in years and are instantly reminded of a genre you used to adore, and a book you thought was wonderful?
If possible, I enjoyed this even more on my second read.
Ah, Cal. What a dreamboat. <3

Read #2: March 6, 2016 - 5 stars
Read #1: August 17, 2012 - 5 stars
Jasmin
Crystal~BIG book addict~
Apr 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks
4.5 Betting Stars!

This was such a great book!! Jennifer Crusie writes a great love story with lots of humor. Thank you for picking it for me Alexandra!! You did good :O)

Zeek
Apr 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fantastic Contemporary Romance!

I've been wanting to read Bet Me for some time now after seeing all the good reviews- despite the fact I tried one or two other Cruise books awhile ago and wasn't all that hip to them. I liked them well enough but nothing really demanded she become an "autobuy" author. Bet Me might change that.

I thoroughly enjoyed this one!

Min Dobbs has everything a girl could want, good, stable job, close friends, who cares if she has less than ideal weight? And okay, in the men d
Stavroula P.
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5 για την ακρίβεια!! Ήταν ένα υπέροχο βιβλίο. Ένα μαγευτικό ταξίδι στην ιστορία της Μιν και του Καλ. Μπορεί από την περίληψη να υποθέσει κανείς ότι πρόκειται για ένα cliché, ένα κλασικό love sotry , διαβάζοντας ωστόσο παρακάτω αντιλαμβάνεται πως κάτι τέτοιο δεν ισχύει.
Στην προκειμένη περίπτωση η ιστορία ξεκινά με την γεματούλα Μιν που πρέπει να έρχεται σε συμφωνία με τα δεδομένα της κοινωνίας και της μητέρας της για το τι θεωρείται όμορφο και κομψό. Φυσικά κάτι τέτοιο δεν ισχύει. Ο καθένας εί
Samantha
Jan 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
God bless Chick-lit. Especially Chick-lit that's happy and filled with sexual tension and innuendo!

Here's the story: Min Dobbs (yes, horrible name, but it illustrates how 'plain' she sees herself) gets dumped in the opening sentences by David, who then meets up with God's gift to women, Cal Morrisey and bets him that Cal can't bed Min in a month (because David couldn't in two). At the exact same moment, Min and her girlfriends are checking out Cal and daring Min to go over to him. She does and o
Jen
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh, Christ, I gave her a feral cat

I adore this book and I'm currently on my 58th reread, approximately. Any book that can rouse my hunger for both chicken marsala and serious shoe shopping at the same time is a winner.
Jane Stewart
My favorite Crusie book. Wonderfully witty lines. Guaranteed to make you feel good. I did not want to stop reading.

The book starts with a well done mis-communication - the bet. David bets Cal that he can’t get Min to bed in a month. Cal refuses but says he’s willing to bet ten dollars that he can walk out the door with her. Min overheard part of the bet but not all of it, and she thinks it’s a bet to have sex with her. She is angry, but she leaves with Cal because she wants to be rude to him. Th
 ᴍɪᴄs ✖amante de los spoilers✖
4.5

MIERDA DE HADA.

Desde el primer momento me engancho y me hizo reír, me sorprendió porque el ritmo no decae en ningún momento. Por lo general cuando los libros tienen tanto humor terminan por cansarme porque da la sensación que recurren siempre a los mismos tipos de chistes pero en este caso no me paso eso.

Frase favorita:

“Pareces una princesa obsesionada por el sexo, hasta arriba de heroína”, pensó, pero dijo:
- Estás preciosa –porque también era verdad.

Juro que lo leo y me tiento mal.

Me encant
Hodan
Jun 26, 2009 rated it it was ok
i got ill reading this book, i like chick-lit but this was way toooooo much. the "i love you but you're the devil" and the "she got so dizzy looking in to his dark eyes" thing got on my nerves!!!!!!!!!

the word dizzy is used more than 90 times in this book.

its not bad but its not good, this is the kind of book to read when you have nothing else to do. nothing at all, nothing on TV, no good books, no one to call, its raining outside and you can go out, you also can't fall asleep or feel like eat
Goodreads Librari...: Quote from book 3 41 Mar 22, 2015 08:39PM
Are books like Bet Me ruining my future love life 24 367 Oct 13, 2014 01:38PM
Love it 11 100 Oct 01, 2014 08:01AM
  • Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
  • He Loves Lucy
  • One Good Reason (Adamson Brothers, #2)
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • Tall Tales and Wedding Veils (Playboys, #2)
  • True Confessions (Gospel, Idaho #1)
  • Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2)
  • Wanting What You Get (Stepp Sisters Trilogy, #2)
  • Start Me Up (Tumble Creek, #2)
  • Lucky in Love (Lucky Harbor, #4)
  • Smooth Talking Stranger (Travises, #3)
Jenny Crusie is the NYT bestselling author of twenty some novels and lots of other stuff. Her latest novel, Maybe This Time, hit shelves in August, 2010.

Jenny lives on the Ohio River where she often stares at the ceiling and counts her blessings.
“Nobody in my life has ever known me the way you do. Nobody in my life has ever made me feel as good as you do. You know me, you know everything about me, and when you leave me, you're going to be leaving the real me, the me nobody else has ever seen, that's who you're going to be rejecting.” 265 likes
“I'm Min's fairy godmother, Charm Boy,' Liza said, frowning down at him. 'And if you don't give her a happily ever after, I'm going to come back and beat you to death with a snow globe.'

What happened to "bibbity bobbity boo"?' Cal asked Min.

That was Disney, honey,' Min said. 'It wasn't a documentary.”
228 likes