Pendergast Task Force discussion

Reading or Similar?

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashnphx) | 7 comments What are your currently reading? What books / series did you find similar to the Pendergast series and what did you like about them.

message 2: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments Currently reading Flashback by Dan Simmons . Haven't read any books similar to the Pendergast books that I can think of.

message 3: by Mike (new)

Mike O | 7 comments Caleb Carr's Alienist & Angel of Darkness have a similar feel to them - more historical based novels - but still has a Holmes/Pendergast type lead character.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashnphx) | 7 comments I heard that. Are they any good? I have the first one on my to be read list.

message 5: by Gatorman (new)

Gatorman | 28 comments I read both Alienist and Angel and thought both were excellent but never felt a similarity to the Pendergast novels.

message 6: by Jose (new)

Jose (jgonzal) | 2 comments I started reading a series by Lee Child... the character name, same as the series name, is Jack Richard... they are not as good as Pendergast novels... but the character has some similarities... and characters from other books appear here and there... and in many of the books it kind of helps to know what happened in previous books...

message 7: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments a couple books I've loved w/ characters similar to pendergast would be the scarlet pimpernil and the great train robbery...

just recently finished gideon's sword, really liked it even though gideon's no pendergast...

message 8: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments Jose--I am also reading that series--the character's name is Jack Reacher an ex-army MP and former special forces person--I really enjoy them--but you are right--they are nothing like Pendergast!!

message 9: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments I read one reacher novel...didn't exactly feel like I'd wasted my time, but had no interest in picking up another- possibly b/c I'd picked up in the middle instead of the beginning...

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments I'm not reading them in order either--and I did get one that I couldn't finish--but the last one I read was pretty good. Have you read any of the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson? You might like those if you like Pendergast. Not really similar--but kind of "out there"!!

message 11: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments no, I've never heard of those...I'll have to add them to my rapidly getting out of control to-read list!

message 12: by Carole (new)

Carole | 9 comments Join the crowd!! I have a to-read list here and a waiting list at the library--finally had to put a temporary freeze on that one til I can finish the ones I already have checked out!!

message 13: by Jose (new)

Jose (jgonzal) | 2 comments I will look into the Repairman Jack series... I am almost finished with the Jack Reacher series... 3 books left... thanks for the post...

message 14: by Bryan (new)

Bryan (yankeehawk) | 8 comments An author i really like is Matthew Reilly. the Temple is closest to a preston/child type story. The books are very fast pace full of action, the scarecrow series is great. More along lines of cussler, but very good and the author always has a q & a at the end of each book which is cool and very interactive with the fans

message 15: by Tiffanie (last edited Sep 25, 2012 11:56AM) (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Has anyone read David Lynn Golemon? I started his Event Group series no long ago. I'm on book 6 of 7. So far all of them have been great.

message 16: by Phyllis (last edited Nov 11, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Tiffanie wrote: "Has anyone read David Lynn Golemon? I started his Event Group series no long ago. I'm on book 6 of 7. So far all of them have been great."

I have read everyone of the books. Finished his latest
Ripper. I really like his books. Great characters and story lines.

message 17: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Phyllis wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "Has anyone read David Lynn Golemon? I started his Event Group series no long ago. I'm on book 6 of 7. So far all of them have been great."

I have read everyone of the books. Finis..."

I'm glad to find someone else who has read this series. I'm up to Legacy. Really like this series.

I'm surprised more people haven't read them.

message 18: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "Has anyone read David Lynn Golemon? I started his Event Group series no long ago. I'm on book 6 of 7. So far all of them have been great."

I have read everyone of ..."

Me too. I was hooked from the first book. Which one is your favorite? Mine would have to be one of two Legend or Primeval. Can' decide which one.

message 19: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Phyllis wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "Has anyone read David Lynn Golemon? I started his Event Group series no long ago. I'm on book 6 of 7. So far all of them have been great."

I have ..."

I would have to say Primeval is my favorite so far followed by Leviathan

Haven't finished Legacy yet.

message 20: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments I am just starting Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston

message 21: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Phyllis wrote: "I am just starting Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston"

You will love it. It's one of my favorite books.

message 22: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "I am just starting Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston"

You will love it. It's one of my favorite books."

About half way thru. Love it so far. To bad I had to get some sleep.

message 23: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "I am just starting Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston"

Your are right, I love this book. Will finish it tonight. Also just started Riptide. Have you read this one? Is it any good?

message 24: by Tiffanie (new)

Tiffanie | 22 comments Phyllis wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "I am just starting Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston"

Your are right, I love this book...."

Yes I have read Riptide and loved it. Then I gave to my dad who couldn't put it down.

I finished Legacy the other day (5 big stars) and started Ripper yesterday. So far I'm really enjoying it.

Have you ever read Paul Christopher Flynn Ryan series? Here is the 1st book: Michelangelo's Notebook. I enjoyed this series so far. It wasn't as great as Pendersgast or Event. But good.

message 25: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "Tiffanie wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "I am just starting Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4) by Douglas Preston by Douglas Preston"

Your are right, I..."

I have read Paul Christopher but the ones I have read are in his Templar Series. The Sword Of The Templars and The Templar Cross both were very good. I sort of read them out of order.

message 26: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments I am going to finsih the Pentegast series, have go the last 3 books to go. Got alittle burned out on the series. I read 5 straight. Had to take a break. Will be starting Fever Dream soon. Looking forward to finishing the series.

message 27: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments I just finished Cold Vengeance and am finally getting to read Two Graves. I got a signed copy in December and didn't want to start it until I finished the others in the seies.

Also, The next book in this series comes out November 12, 2013, it is White Fire. Looks like Corrine Swanson will be one of the main characters.

message 28: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 24 comments Phyllis wrote: "Also, The next book in this series comes out November 12, 2013, it is White Fire. Looks like Corrine Swanson will be one of the main characters."

Awesome! I always liked her!

message 29: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments Kirby wrote: "Phyllis wrote: "Also, The next book in this series comes out November 12, 2013, it is White Fire. Looks like Corrine Swanson will be one of the main characters."

Awesome! I always liked her!"

Corrine Swanson had a good size part in Two Graves. I don't know if you read Two Graves, but I thought it was really good. It had lots of surprises. Too bad they can't write quicker.

message 30: by Beth (last edited May 21, 2013 05:55AM) (new)

Beth | 10 comments Reading Odd Thomas, the first book was really good. Just ordered the second of the series. Just got the new Dan Brown book, Inferno, looks pretty good already.
Pre-ordered White Fire!

message 31: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (phyllisbrannin) | 30 comments I have read about half of Inferno by Dan Brown. It is really good, better than The Lost Symbol. I have Odd Thomas but have not gotten around to reading it. Maybe I should give it a try.

message 32: by Beth (new)

Beth | 10 comments Phyllis wrote: "I have read about half of Inferno by Dan Brown. It is really good, better than The Lost Symbol. I have Odd Thomas but have not gotten around to reading it. Maybe I should give it a try."

Enjoyed Odd Thomas, ordered the second one.

message 33: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 7 comments Mike wrote: "Caleb Carr's Alienist & Angel of Darkness have a similar feel to them - more historical based novels - but still has a Holmes/Pendergast type lead character."

Love Caleb Carr . . .