Start by marking “Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)” as Want to Read:
Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)

Fever Dream

(Pendergast #10)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  30,488 ratings  ·  1,567 reviews
Yesterday, Special Agent Pendergast still mourned the loss of his beloved wife, Helen, who died in a tragic accident in Africa twelve years ago. Today, he discovers she was murdered. Tomorrow, he will learn her most guarded secrets, leaving him to wonder: Who was the woman I married? Why was she murdered? And, above all . . . Who murdered her? FEVER DREAM Revenge is not sw ...more
Published May 11th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Fever Dream, please sign up.
Reader57 That would be his dead wife of course, There are multiple books in the series where we find she was not all she appeared to be. Quite frankly, it gets…moreThat would be his dead wife of course, There are multiple books in the series where we find she was not all she appeared to be. Quite frankly, it gets a bit tiresome. (less)

·  30,488 ratings  ·  1,567 reviews

Start your review of Fever Dream (Pendergast, #10)
Matthew
I have been in the habit lately of using gifs in my reviews, so it is likely that you will see some here.

Oh, wait! I feel one coming on - this was me this entire book:

Holy cow! This book was a rush! I thought things were intense and suspenseful in previous Preston and Child books, but they raised the bar and way outdid themselves. I have no clue how they fit so much action, mystery, suspense and general bad-ass-ery into one book.

Here is a quick summary in gifs:

Finally - if only Antonio Banderas
Sean Gibson
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes you crave food because it’s predictably good—Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, for example, nature’s most perfect glowing yellow, boxed food. Other times, you want to experience something you’ve never had before, and so you set your taste buds to open-minded (because, yes, tongues have brains—it’s basic biology, people, which you would know if you am as smart as me am).

What happens, though, when you’re expecting one kind of flavor and you get another?

It can go one of two ways: the mistaking-p
Ginger
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, buddy-read
5 STARS!

Good grief, what a book!! I was not bored once while reading Fever Dream and this was one of the craziest Pendergast books that I've read in the series.
This is the 1st book in the Helen trilogy and it involves the mystery of Helen Pendergast, the late wife to Special Agent Pendergast.

Damn, I really don't know what to say in this review that will not be a potential spoiler! This book goes in many different directions and CRAZY plot twists. I loved it!
So, I'll elaborate just a bit. Fever D
Juli
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far, this book is my favorite in the Agent Pendergast series. Fever Dream is the 10th book in the 16-book series. A 17th book, City of Endless Night, is coming out in 2018.

Pendergast's wife, Helen, died 12 years before during a safari in Africa. She was attacked and killed by a lion. While in New Orleans at his family's home, Pendergast discovers evidence that Helen's death was not an accident. It was murder. Immediately he knows he must investigate, identify Helen's killer, and get justice
Emma
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! A different setting for this story and Laura Hayward and Pendergast are in the driving seat. Most of the action takes place in the South this time and one of the many things Preston and Child’s do very well is setting. Tons of action and a cliff hanger...thoroughly enjoyable read. Recommended series but start with the first book. #Pendergast for President .
Caz
Feb 16, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Fever Dream could have been a good book. The central premise -- that Pendergast finds out his dead wife was murdered, seeks revenge on her killers, and goes on to discover secrets she kept from him -- is intriguing, and there are a few good set-pieces, such as a car chase through a Louisiana swamp. And Preston & Child aren't terrible authors; I enjoyed the two Diogenes-featuring novels in this series, albeit only by ignoring a lot of extraneous words that were probably meant to sound clever.

But
TS Chan
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'll call it right here, right now. This is the best Pendergast novel I've read so far, and I'm going to stop holding back on the 5-star rating.

Why? Because it got really personal for Special Agent A.X.L Pendergast, and we get to see a side of this enigmatic man which we've never seen before. It was intense. It was almost scary. And it was exciting!

From the very first book, Relic, we were made aware that Pendergast had a wife who died many years ago. Twelve to be exact. How she died was relive
kartik narayanan
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fever Dream is a great whodunnit. Pendergast finds out that his wife was murdered rather than being killed in a hunting accident. So he gets on the trail along with D'Agosta.

This book has all the trademarks of a good Pendergast story - an intriguing mystery, a new antagonist, some great action, subtle humour and a deep look into Pendergast's background. Specifically, I liked how Pendergast shows the same characteristics as Diogenes towards the climax of the book.

I am looking forward to the next
Glen
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: neo-pulp, mystery
Agent Pendergast accidentally discovers his wife's death was not an accident, but murder. He immediately calls on D'Agosta, and the two start traipsing around the world, looking for leads.

It turns out his wife had a secret life, connected to a mysterious foundation located in the swamps of Louisiana.

Not bad, maybe a little lowball compared to some of the rest of the series.
Colleen
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, thriller
Ahhhh! Curse these authors! I was up past dawn reading this book, slept for a few hours, and after bolting awake, made some coffee and got back to reading. And I won't know the final end of this plot line until the next book, so will have to wait another year at least! Not really a spoiler so much, since the authors do this with like 90% of the Pendergast series.

Part of why these books are so clever and fiendishly addictive is because the reader kibitzes for most of it. I'm not going to reveal
Terry
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great installment in the Pendergast series, by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. With this being the first book in the Helen trilogy, we're drawn into another great mystery with lots of surprising twists and turns that promise to keep us in suspense for two more books to come. This book, maybe more so than the prior in the series, kept me guessing the whole time and led to lots of "What the ..." moments! Great fun from start to finish. As before, I definitely recommend this series to an ...more
Joseph
Jul 13, 2014 rated it liked it
You know how you buy a bag of Chee-Tos? And you sit down, open the bag and absently eat a handful, and even as you're thinking, "Yeah, that was probably enough of that," your hand is already snaking back into the bag? And then the next thing you know the bag is completely empty and you're covered with orange dust and feeling vaguely ill? Yeah, these books have that effect on me.
Andre Farant
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I have been following the Pendergast series of books since Relic, published in 1995. Since then, nine more books (with a tenth on the way) have been published featuring the clever and eccentric FBI agent. Like Arthur Conan Doyle before them, Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston have created in FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast a character that elevates any plot in which he might feature and, similarly, enlivens the reading experience. There is more than a little dose of the Holmsian in Penderga ...more
Natalie
If you want to get in the full spirit of this review the background music should be a Kidz Bop version of "Oops...I Did It Again".

1. First response: Outrageous, bloody, awful (& bloody awful too) but still somehow entertaining. The Audubon plot and bio-entrepreneurship elements are fascinating. Found myself realizing how fortunate I have been to be able to view Audubon's double elephant folio at the Cal Academy library.
2. Plot elements somehow couldn't be more ridiculous.
3. OTT Example: (view
Marialyce
May 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Such a super suspenseful book. While it was over 400 pages, it kept you enthralled throughout with Agent Pendergast and his team solving another mystery. Makes one want to go back and read the entire series.
Beth
May 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010
My mental rating was 4 stars throughout, until I got to the delicious ending that rivals the end of Hannibal. ...more
Jean
Sep 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jean by: Lorraine
Yowsa! I really liked this book. Had me turning pages late into the night. Doug and Lincoln can be overly concerned at times with minute details in describing things or places, but man the action scenes really get your heart pumping! Well done Preston and Child! Can't wait for the next one, which has been ordered for me at my library! (Large Print)
Gary
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
It was good. I liked the finale to the Diogenes trilogy much better, but this series is consistently good and addicting. It has a bit of a formulaic feeling to it, but it’s a formula that works and if it isn’t broke why fix it. I keep coming back for more and plan to finish the series.
Wendell
Get set for the usual irritating tics one expects from this pair of talented and dangerously complacent writers, who either eschew or don’t have editors and, if you listen on CD, for René Auberjonois to be perfectly awful as a reader. His Africans sound Italian; his women sound like RuPaul; his southern crackers sound like someone trying to satirize an old Hee-Haw sketch. He doesn’t know—and his “director” apparently never told him—that the airport in Florida is pronounced Sarasota-BRAYdenton (n ...more
Cheryl
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pendergast searches for his wife's killer, unearthing another mystery along the way. The plot was interesting, as were the characters. Although the storyline will continue in the next two books of the series, this book was more of a stand-alone read, which I liked. Fast-paced and entertaining. I really enjoy these authors.
Johnny
Dec 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, thriller
For a long time, the Pendergast novels teetered on the edge of the supernatural for me. That made many of the novels interesting as I tried to figure out non-supernatural explanations for those factors which seemed to be supernatural. On some occasions, Preston and Childs tantalized without offering any overt explanation. I liked that, too. There should always be room for some mystery in one’s mystery novels. Fever Dream doesn’t offer any hint of the supernatural. This one teeters on the verge o ...more
Arun Divakar
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it
The book that started it all for me was Relic when I was first introduced to the eccentric FBI agent – Aloysius Pendergast and also to the gruff yet valiant NYPD lieutenant Vincent D’Agosta. From then on I have been following these gentlemen on their adventures across the globe while they settled personal vendettas, fought zombies and monsters and investigated serial killers. While the quality of storytelling has wavered at times, Preston and Child have been able to retain a relatively stable st ...more
Lobstergirl
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it

Do you know how Pendergast sits? If you read the series, yes, you do.

"Pendergast seated himself, throwing one leg over the other."
"Pendergast...one black-clad leg draped over the other..."
"Pendergast threw one leg over the other."

It's apparently contagious, because "Felder leaned back in his chair, casually throwing one leg over the other."

The latest P&C tic is characters "tenting." "Pendergast nodded over tented fingers." "Pendergast tented his fingers." This too is spreading: "She laid her han
Mike
Jun 18, 2010 rated it liked it
I gave this an extra star because I thought Agent Pendergast had about run his course in the Diogenes trilogy of this series of books and even in the last one, 'Cemetery Dance.'

However, even in those books of theirs where my interest wanes, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child write stories that you can't help but keep turning the page, reading just one more chapter. Any of these books are just plain fun to read, and people tend to forget that sometimes, reading just needs to be fun.

So, on to this
Brian Regan
May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
In their latest novel about Agent Pendergast (their 10th??), Preston and Child return to form with a great page turner that stands well on its own while providing a great deal of background on the enigmatic FBI Agent. It begins with a flashback to the accidental death (by lion!) of Pendergast's wife, some 12 years earlier. Returning to the "now", the agent makes an unexpected discovery that completely changes his understanding of her death. What follows is a crazy roller-coaster ride involving J ...more
Julie Smith (Knitting and Sundries)
This book starts out in Africa with Agent Pendergast and his beloved wife, Helen, on a mini-safari. A German photographer is killed by a lion at a nearby lodge, and Agent Pendergast is called to the scene.

Pendergast, Helen, and a native guide go through the stand of Fever trees to hunt the lion down, as Helen is herself a formidable force with a gun. When the lion attacks, both Pendergast and their guide are injured, and Helen is dragged off after shooting at the attacker and apparently missing
Lena
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
49-D05742-033-B-4-B29-964-C-A20-D6-C17-CADE
“You know women sir, they like their little secrets.”
“So it would seem.”

Damn. This mystery based around the life of John Audubon and Pendergast’s late wife was engrossing. Now I want to read a biography of the man. These authors have a way of finding bits of fascinating history and giving them a morbid little twist!

Best Pendergast since Brimstone! It would be five stars if not for the WTF?!?! with Constance Green. That plot line has gone off the rails.
itchy
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: electronic
first time fun: laura hayward finally got a firsthand experience of the pendergast sop;
get well soon, vinnie;
wassup with constance, though?
Ally Rowe
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That is one hell of a book.
Stacey Chancellor
Play Book Tag: Fever Dream (Pedergast #8, Helen #1) by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - 4 stars 1 11 Nov 18, 2018 11:51AM
Horror Aficionados : Fever Dream - Preston/Child 93 25 Jul 22, 2018 07:52PM
H1N1 Virus related plots 2 38 Apr 22, 2011 08:04AM
Thought this was funny and topical 1 34 Sep 09, 2010 03:00PM

• White Fire (Pendergast): by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child -- Analysis
  • Deep Storm (Jeremy Logan, #1)
  • The Third Gate (Jeremy Logan, #3)
  • The pharoah Key
  • Terminal Freeze (Jeremy Logan, #2)
  • The Forgotten Room (Jeremy Logan, #4)
  • Blue Labyrinth: by Preston & Child (Pendergast Series, Book 14) | Summary & Analysis
  • Altar of Eden
  • Forest of Desire (The Alchemist Book #2)
  • Temper (Red Mage #2)
  • The Elephant Tree
  • Full Wolf Moon (Jeremy Logan, #5)
  • Death Match
  • The Threat Below (Brathius History, #1)
  • Last Exit to Brooklyn
  • The Girl Next Door
  • Utopia
  • Gone Tomorrow (Jack Reacher, #13)
Douglas Preston was born in Cambridge, Massachusetts, in 1956, and grew up in the deadly boring suburb of Wellesley. Following a distinguished career at a private nursery school--he was almost immediately expelled--he attended public schools and the Cambridge School of Weston. Notable events in his early life included the loss of a fingertip at the age of three to a bicycle; the loss of his two fr ...more

Pendergast (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Relic (Pendergast, #1)
  • Reliquary (Pendergast, #2)
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities (Pendergast, #3)
  • Still Life With Crows (Pendergast, #4)
  • Brimstone (Pendergast, #5; Diogenes, #1)
  • Dance of Death (Pendergast, #6; Diogenes, #2)
  • The Book of the Dead (Pendergast, #7; Diogenes, #3)
  • The Wheel of Darkness (Pendergast, #8)
  • Cemetery Dance (Pendergast, #9)
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)