Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Abandon (Abandon, #1)
This topic is about Abandon
Abandon discussions > Books based on myths

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Have you read any other books based on Greek, Roman, Hindu, etc. mythologies? How did you like them?

message 2: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
I would love to read more but don't know of any good ones yet!

message 3: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) I haven't read many, and the only one that I think is really great is

Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor

It contains 3 stories based on Irish, Hindu, and Zoroastrian folklore/mythology. I would recommend it to anyone.

message 4: by Grace (last edited Jul 02, 2011 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Tatiana wrote: "Have you read any other books based on Greek, Roman, Hindu, etc. mythologies? How did you like them?"

There's a whole series - Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan - based on Greek mythology. I've read the first two books in the series. But that's just one of many.

Sspects of Greek mythology infest almost every corner of Western literature. Of course, you're more likely to recognize references to Greek myths when they pop up if you're familiar with the Greek myths themselves.

One of Roger Zelazny's best known books, Lords of Light, is based on Hindu mythology. Also, Irish mythology was central to one of our recent YA book-club picks, The Iron King.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods and Anansi Boys borrow from African myths. He also refers to Greek and Norse mythology in his other books.

It always adds to my enjoyment of a well-written book when I recognize elements of mythology. If some seems to be 'mythic' but I'm not familiar with the story then I feel compelled to learn more.

Helen (heleng123) | 8 comments I've read the Percy Jackson serie and the Cane Chronicle both by Rick Riordan. I also recommend the Goddess Test by Aimme Carter. I love those kind of books. :)

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Jul 18, 2011 09:54PM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) I enjoyed the Riordan books, as well, which use a lot of the Greek, Roman, and Egyptian mythologies:

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1) by Rick Riordan The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2) by Rick Riordan The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3 ) by Rick Riordan The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4) by Rick Riordan The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5) by Rick Riordan
The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1) by Rick Riordan The Son of Neptune (Heroes of Olympus, #2) by Rick Riordan
The Red Pyramid (Kane Chronicles, #1) by Rick Riordan The Throne of Fire (Kane Chronicles, #2) by Rick Riordan

Some other YA stuff:
The Goddess Test (Goddess Test #1) by Aimee Carter Falling Under (Falling Under, #1) by Gwen Hayes more Persephone type deals
Nobody's Princess (Nobody's Princess, #1) by Esther M. Friesner Starcrossed (Starcrossed, #1) by Josephine Angelini Helen
Fury (Fury, #1) by Elizabeth Miles the furies :o
Sweet Venom (Medusa Girls, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs gorgons
Mad Love by Suzanne Selfors Destined by Jessie Harrell Cupid & Psyche
Sirenz by Charlotte Bennardo sirens
Wildefire (Wildefire, #1) by Karsten Knight Polynesian volcano goddess
Odd and the Frost Giants by Neil Gaiman Norse

Not YA stuff:
Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne
American Gods by Neil Gaiman Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay The Great Book of Amber (The Chronicles of Amber, #1-10) by Roger Zelazny

message 7: by Tatiana (new)

Tatiana (tatiana_g) Wow! What a spread, Jenny!

message 8: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (last edited Jul 05, 2011 04:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I completley forgot about the Percy Jackson series. Oops! I didn't realize American Gods was a mythology book! I am sooo reading it soon!

Helen (heleng123) | 8 comments Lol, American Gods? It's actually Ancient Greek gods lmbo.

message 10: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 12 comments have to try Pecy Jackson. Something else for the list.
Anybody know anything based on King Arthur? I love those stories.

Grace (gdaminato) | 520 comments Jdfield wrote: "Anybody know anything based on King Arthur? I love those stories."

Have you read Meg Cabot's Avalon High or Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Mists of Avalon?

message 12: by J (new) - added it

J (scribblebird) | 1 comments I love to read retellings of Myths and Legends and these are the first that come to mind:

Greek
Troy by Adèle Geras , Ithaka by Adèle Geras
The Moon Riders by Theresa Tomlinson

Authurian
The Seeing Stone (Arthur Trilogy, #1) by Kevin Crossley-Holland (the whole series is great - the writing style is lovely, very interesting way of playing with words)
Here Lies Arthur by Philip Reeve

Not YA but...
Sherrilyn Kenyon and Gena Showalter play around with Greek and Roman myths a bit, mostly as a backdrop to their series.

Anna (Literary Exploration) (literaryanna) I just read Starcrossed which was really good. I'd definitely recommend that one. I've also read a few by Sherrily Kenyon but her books tend to be romance novels with greek Gods and such.

Megan Mweemba (meganlovesbooks) Percy Jackson series is THE BOMB. But besides that, I haven't read any other books based on myths...just the myths themselves.

message 15: by Jessica-Robyn (new)

Jessica-Robyn | 19 comments Jdfield wrote: "have to try Pecy Jackson. Something else for the list.
Anybody know anything based on King Arthur? I love those stories."

I was looking though some of the old group discussions and came across this one from 2009/10 and remembered your comment! You might find a few good Arthurian suggestion there. :)
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 16: by Eli (new)

Eli Oldham (thebooksupplier) There's also The Immortal Secrets of Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott. He incorporated so much mythology that I have to look things up.

The Dark Fusion series by Neal Shusterman also has some mythology in its foundations.

message 17: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 12 comments Thanks Jessica Robyn,thats really helpful. Some itneresting stuff there...

message 18: by Harlequin Books (new)

Harlequin Books (harlequinbooks) | 45 comments Jdfield wrote: "have to try Pecy Jackson. Something else for the list.

Some of my favorite Arthurian books are by Sarah Zettel

Under Camelot's Banner, For Camelot's Honor, and In Camelot's Shadow

message 19: by Ellen (last edited Jul 27, 2011 05:24PM) (new)

Ellen Goddess of Yesterday by Caroline B. Cooney
Troy by Adèle Geras
Both of these are about the Trojan War.

message 20: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jessica-Robyn wrote: "Jdfield wrote: "have to try Pecy Jackson. Something else for the list.

I was looking though some of the old group discussions ..."

Great find!!

Debbie Davies (debbie16) Hi

My debut novel;
Any Love But Mine

is based on greek mythology it is a young adult fantasy romance novel taking you to all the fantasy worlds and introduces you to all the best loved and some new characters. Including my brand new breed of god; The Erosians.

It is free at the moment on amazon so enjoy!

message 22: by Haley (new) - added it

Haley (thatwritergirl75) | 25 comments I saw an add for Loki by Mike Vasich floating around a while ago, and I added to my "to read" list.

The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is Oh. My. Gods. (Oh. My. Gods, #1) by Tera Lynn Childs , but I really didn't like it.

message 23: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (thecharminglass) The Warrior's of Ankh trilogy Blood Will Tell (Warriors of Ankh #1) by Samantha Young Blood Past (Warriors of Ankh #2) by Samantha Young Shades of Blood (Warriors of Ankh #3) by Samantha Young by Samantha Young is based on Egyptian Mythology.

message 24: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Field (jdfield) | 12 comments I noticed some activity in this thread, so thought I'd come back with a little announcement.
I couldn't find the Arthurian kind of book I wanted, so I wrote it...
Song to Wake to by J.D. Field

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

You should check out my novel, Sprite (Annabelle's Story Part One.

Altho it's set in modern times, the background of the story includes greek mythology and some folkore.

Hope you enjoy it!Sprite

message 26: by Dee (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dee I've really only read the Percy Jackson books so far, but I've heard of a lot of these other ones. So this is a great place to find some more. I LOVE mythology. I'd even suggest reading Edith Hamilton's book on mythology it has all the greek myths (and some others) written down and it will give you more context for books that surround these myths.

message 27: by Julia (new)

Julia | 432 comments I recommend The Mists of Avalon a lot! But it's long, dense, has sex, so it's not for everyone.

Also the same author's take on the Trojan War & Cassandra: The Firebrand.

Really liked Troy, which is YA.

Donna Jo Napoli has rewritten myths from all over the world: Bound, Breath and Zel, though not necessarily myths about gods.

Jane Yolen is a very talented writer who writes in many genres. If you only know her picture books say, you're in for treat in books like Briar Rose, Troll Bridge: A Rock'n' Roll Fairy Tale and Prince Across the Water.

Temping Fate is a fun, funny little book about teens working at a temporary agency where they temp for various folk.

message 28: by Vered (new)

Vered (vered_ehsani) Julia wrote: "I recommend The Mists of Avalon a lot! But it's long, dense, has sex, so it's not for everyone.

Also the same author's take on the Trojan War & Cassandra: The Firebrand.

Really liked Troy, which..."

Julia - I loved Mists of Avalon and a number of other books by Marion Zimmer Bradley - she's brilliant at weaving history and legend into something that comes alive. Good recommendations.

message 29: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Great suggestions!