Young Adult Book Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments The new TV series of MERLIN has got me wondering, does anyone have suggestions for good YA Arthurian books? I've never really read any Arthurian books before, so wouldn't know quite where to start...

message 2: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 43 comments Gerald Morris, TH WHite, Mary Stewart are some

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Thanks, Terri!:)

message 4: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Angie | 2687 comments Mod
Well I have heard of the Once and Future King. But I wasn't able to make it through that book. The Crystal Cave but I am not sure if that book is YA?

Ralph Gallagher | 53 comments I enjoyed The Mists of Avalon when I read it.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments I've actually got a copy of the Once and Future King around here somewhere, but I'm always daunted by it's size...
I'm not familiar with the Crystal Cave, but will check it out.

And thanks for the vote for Mists of Avalon, Ralph!

message 7: by Bria (new)

Bria Teragram (bria_teragram) | 5 comments I recently read The Seeing Stone by Kevin Crossley-Holland. It isn't a strictly Arthurian tale. Merlin does feature in the story and King Arthur is mentioned a bit. It wasn't my favorite book in the world, but that's because I'm not a fan of stories written in first person. It's part of a trilogy so if it seems like something interesting to you, I'd definitely recommend you check it out.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Thanks Bria:)

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 45 comments A book in the Once Upon A Time series called Night Dance combines the fairy tale of the twelve dancing princesses with Arthurian lore. It was interesting. Not quite my cup of tea, but it was interesting. It also got me interested into Arthurian stuff. I've heard that there is a book called Morte d'Arthur, or something like that that is supposedly really good. I'll find out if that is the real title. BTW, I enjoyed the MERLIN series. I thought Merlin was cute :D

message 10: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Kate, thanks! I always loved the Twelve Dancing Princesses, so maybe this would be a good book for me to start with!

(and yes, I enjoyed MERLIN as well - can hardly wait for the new season... it is quite refreshing to have something different to watch :> )

message 11: by Jen (new)

Jen | 13 comments sword of the rightful king by jane yolen. I really enjoyed it!

message 12: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Thanks, Jenny!

message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 13 comments Ya anytime. There is another book but it doesn't really involve Arthur. It is about Mordred who is Arthur's son. Book of Mordred by Vivian Van Velde

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Oh cool. It's still similar, so why not! :) I really appreciate everyone's insights - quite helpful. :)

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 13 comments I find it cool to see someone else interested in Arthurian Legends. I love reading books about him and his knights. Both fiction and non-fiction.

message 16: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Me too! Glad there are so many suggestions out there!

message 17: by Lynne (last edited Nov 05, 2009 06:14PM) (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Angie wrote: "Me too! Glad there are so many suggestions out there!"

I love the Aurthur legend so much I actually COLLECT books about Arthur. My two favorites (and I have probably read 100s) are the Mary Stewart series and "The Once and Future King". My suggestion for that one is, if you don't like the first part (which is very fantasyish)skip tow the second part, which is Arthur as a teen and adult. I think it is the best.

The book "Le Morte de Arthur" is the first modern telling of the Arthur legend as we know it today. It is good, but I wouldn't start there.

Another great series is by Stephen Lawhead. THe first book is called "Talisien".

message 18: by Meghan (new)

Meghan I second Gerald Morris's series, The Squire's Tale. These are told through the eyes of the squires of the great knights of the round table. It's YA but still fun and I enjoyed that it gave you a different viewpoint of this classic tale.

The Mists of Avalon is also very good, but not necessarily YA (although completely appropriate for high schoolers).

Guenevere, Queen of the Summer Country by Rosalind Miles is also a great one (also not YA, but appropriate for older teens).

Both Mists and Guenevere have the main viewpoint from the women of Camelot.

The Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights by John Steinbeck - his take on the story. I guess he was a huge fan. (Tortilla Flat was his retelling of the story set in early 20th century Northern California)

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Also, depending on your interest, there are a ton of Merlin YA books out there.

message 20: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Wow, I didn't know that about "Tortilla Flat". I'm going to have to check that out now.

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Lynne wrote: "Wow, I didn't know that about "Tortilla Flat". I'm going to have to check that out now."

Well, I should say it's "loosely" based. But it's a nice short story and they say his funniest.

message 22: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments can some one tell me where to find the first season of the Merlin thingy I would like to check it out. cant beleive i missed it

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Chakara wrote: "can some one tell me where to find the first season of the Merlin thingy I would like to check it out. cant beleive i missed it "

I hope someone can answer this - I'd love to know, too!! Plus, does anyone have information on season two either playing in the US or coming to dvd in US format?

message 24: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments I think I saw that it is available on DVD at Amazon.

message 25: by Ralph Gallagher (new)

Ralph Gallagher | 53 comments If you want, you can watch Merlin here: http://www.yidio.com/show/merlin

message 26: by Whitney (new)

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 127 comments Ann wrote: "Chakara wrote: "can some one tell me where to find the first season of the Merlin thingy I would like to check it out. cant beleive i missed it "

I hope someone can answer this - I'd love to know,..."

Lynne wrote: "I think I saw that it is available on DVD at Amazon."

tHANX

message 27: by Angie, YA lovin mod!! (new)

Has season 2 started on the BBC?

message 28: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Angie, it looks like it according to IMDB - but I'm not positive...

message 29: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments We should pick an Arthur book for one of our monthly selections.

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments :-D I'd be pleased with that

message 31: by Neha (last edited Dec 02, 2009 03:46PM) (new)

Neha (coffy) | 9 comments I know a couple by the same author about minor characters.
I Am Morgan Le Fay A Tale From Camelot and I Am Mordred A Tale from Camelot

message 32: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Neha wrote: "I know a couple by the same author about minor characters.
I Am Morgan Le Fay A Tale From Camelot and I Am Mordred A Tale from Camelot"

Cool! I wasn't aware of those - thanks!

message 33: by Tara (new)

Tara | 6 comments I Am Morgan Le Fay was pretty good and I've heard Mists of Avalon is really good but I haven't read it yet. . .

message 34: by Julia (new)

Julia | 432 comments The Mists of Avalon is amazing.

If you're interested in the sunbject matter, you've really got to check it out. The 12+ (or whatever) sequels, especially the ones written/ published after MZB's death not so much... The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1) by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Oh and the cheesy tv movie with a pretty good cast doesn't do it justice at all.

message 35: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Okay, I'll have to check out Mists of Avalon now - so many recommendations here I can't pass it up! :D

message 36: by Storm (new)

Storm (stormgerlock) Like all of you I LOVE reading about Arthur and my all time favorite is:

Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie. It's really good, and it seems really long but I read it so fast I didn't even notice. Nancy McKenzie also wrote books about Tristan and Isolde (spelling is different) and Galahad and I haven't read them yet but I really want to.

message 37: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Rose wrote: "Like all of you I LOVE reading about Arthur and my all time favorite is:

Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie Queen of Camelot by Nancy McKenzie. It's really good, and it seems really long but I r..."

What a pretty cover!

message 38: by Storm (new)

Storm (stormgerlock) It's gorgeous, all of Nancy McKenzie's books have AMAZING covers.

message 39: by Kate (last edited Dec 11, 2009 10:36PM) (new)

Kate | 45 comments I find that I read some books just because the covers are beautiful or intriguing. It's what attracts me to a book.

message 40: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments For the other U.S. Merlin fans, FYI, I do believe season two is now playing on Sci-Fi! :) Sadly, I don't get that channel, but I'm hoping that means it will come to DVD in a US format soon! :)

message 41: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Just finished Avalon High and thought it was really fun. Check out my review for more info.

message 42: by Jenny (last edited Apr 10, 2010 12:05AM) (new)

Jenny (narcisse) For anyone who hasn't seen the series yet, you can watch the first season on Hulu. I don't know why they don't have season 2 episodes up yet, but they probably will before too long. I've only seen season 1, and I saw a new one playing on the Syfy channel tonight but I didn't want to watch it until I've caught up. :/

message 43: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Emily wrote: "Lynne wrote: "Just finished Avalon High and thought it was really fun. Check out my review for more info."

Avalon High is great! I adore that book!"

Have you been able to find the follow up graphic novels? I have looked everywhere.

message 44: by Lynne (new)

Lynne (lmsindel) | 42 comments Frustrating, Huh?

message 45: by Kate (new)

Kate | 45 comments Ann wrote: "For the other U.S. Merlin fans, FYI, I do believe season two is now playing on Sci-Fi! :) Sadly, I don't get that channel, but I'm hoping that means it will come to DVD in a US format soon! :)"

I know! I don't have cable either. I just hope that I can buy it/see it in some way! I'm so glad that they picked it up again!

message 46: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Ditto, Kate! :) I was away last week and so got to watch it in the hotel! What a delightful bonus :)

message 47: by Kate (new)

Kate | 45 comments Hopefully, it will pick up some more viewers, so that they can do a third season back on...CBS? NBC? I can't remember what channel it was on. Hopefully it will come back :P

message 48: by Ann (new)

Ann | 177 comments Ooh! I hope so too, Kate!!!!!