Start by marking “The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Moon Riders (Moon Riders, #1)

The Moon Riders

(Moon Riders #1)

Myrina has prepared for thirteen years to join the Moon Riders—learning the sacred dances, the art of using a weapon, and listening to her mother and grandmother's tales of their time spent with the Moon-maidens. Finally, the day arrives when she will leave her family and devote herself to the Old Woman, Atisha, and her tribe of fearless young warriors.

No sooner do Myrina
Published October 31st 2006 by HarperTeen (first published February 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Moon Riders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Moon Riders

Aoife

Set in the Trojan era, The Moon Riders tells the story of Myrina who joins the legendary and spiritual Moon Riders, aged 13. With the warrior priestesses, Myrina grows in confidence, strength and power and learns how to defend herself and lead an extraordinary group of women. Myrina also becomes best friends with the Princess Cassandra, and has to face the army of Agamemnon, and Achilles, when they come to wage war on Troy.

I remember reading this when I was 13/14 years old and being abs
Hollie Robb
What the heck, I had a killer review on this book, now I lost it! Well I thought that it was a killer review. Anyway I'll try it again.

This book very disappointing. It was boringly slow, and I am glad that I am done with it. It wasn't what I thought it would be. I wanted to have a good Amazon woman story. Her story about Homers Iliad, you know the Torjan war. Theresa Tomlinson got some of the Greek Mythology wrong, but not all of it.

The Amazon Women were the Daughter of Aries, they didn't worsh
*TheWrittenWord*Mo
This was an ok book, It tols a good story and when things happened to the main character Myrina I did cry and laugh, but for me it lacked that little bit extra that makes a book unforgettable.

I really liked the Moon Riders though, I thought it showed how women were powerful even then and respected. Myrina was a character you could easily like, as was Cassandra of Troy what I most liked about the book was the fact that the Moon Riders believed Cassandra, whereas in mythology it was said none beli
Kristin
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: possibly-read
I haven't read any Greek mythology in a long time. This was a treat. It's not very heavy on the mythology aspect nor even much magic. But it is a great story of how normal events could become myth.
Emilia
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen, fiction, fantasy
A fantastic retelling of the Trojan War through the eyes of a young female warrior. This story combines coming-of-age, an amazing adventure and a classic epic with characters that captivate and a tale that will thrill readers.
JudgyK
May 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
Authors have a habit of taking real and/or literary events and adding imaginary characters to them. Sometimes it works out well, like Ragtime. Other times it’s just sort of .. a thing that people do, and can be a little interesting to see how they explain history but can also be awfully predictable and kind of meh. The Moon Riders is more along the lines of the latter.

Your first inkling that something fishy is going on here arrives when you see King Priam, his daughter Cassandra, King Agamemnon,
Kathryn
May 31, 2013 rated it it was ok
The problem with books like The Moon Riders is that you know what's going to happen. Maybe not specifically what will happen to the imaginary main character, but when you read that she's meeting up with King Priam, his son Paris, and his daughter Cassandra while they chat about how King Menelaus married some lady named Helen, you KNOW this shit isn't going to end well.

Tomlinson adds some interesting stuff to the Iliad. She imagines a group of women who travel through Anatolia and Thrace performi
Loraine
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Moon riders is an exploration of what it was like to be a woman among the Mazagardi tribe of Amazons over two thousand years ago. Compared to Alice Hoffman's The Foretelling, Tomlinson's narrative style is pretty pedestrian. That being said, Tomlinson did some pretty nifty things--for one thing, she turned the siege of Troy on its head, telling a tale from the perspective of nomadic tribes who lived in Anatolia, Thessaly and other lands surrounding the both the Aegean Sea and the Sea of Marm ...more
Karen
Nov 23, 2012 rated it liked it
this book is okay. but… the whole book is fakish. it's not that…realistic. i mean, going to the war, coming with the 'plots' … nothing gripping, nothing really adventurous. it felt like the 'adventures' and 'dangers' seems sort of fake, you know, not that DANGEROUS or ADVENTUROUS.
Plus, some statements are pretty…you know, famish again. it's like the author wanted to complete a sentence by adding pointless, or things that aren't really what it originally is, into it. like ( it's not really in t
Penelope Cole
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read The Moon Riders, the story of Myrina, head of the legendary Moon Riders, after the fall of Troy. I was interested in these stories because they relate to Archaeologist Jeannine Davis-Kimball's work in Warrior Women. Davis-Kimball's book follows nomadic Sauro-Sarmatian women from Kazakstan to the Mongolian steppes, clearly showing that a blond modern day nomad was related to a Woman Warrior Priestess buried in Pokrovka, Kazakstan. Tomlinson's books illustrate how those Amazon women of myth ...more
Jess
Feb 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
SOOO GOOD!!! I read this a while ago, but I found the sequel at the library while I was working and knew I had to reread this. I had forgotten just how much I love it! Very excited, very good characters, especially because they weren't all the same. They all had the same goal, but sometimes an author makes secondary characters all about the same. Not so here. I also loved that Myrina had no problem with kids. It always irritates me when the warrior woman doesn't want kids because she's just "too ...more
Amber 7-3
Dec 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful story full of action and adventure! The story is based off the Trojan War but in the eyes of the Moon Riders, or more commonly known as the Amazons. The book is fantastically written and tells a compelling story of a girl and a journey that could make her lose everything that she hold dear to her heart. The Moon Riders is an exciting tale that keeps you reading the book. I would highly recemend this to people who like a book with a little bit of everything. This story ha ...more
Terri Pray
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Beautifully written, a completely different take on the Trojan wall. The Moon Riders are a twist on the Amazon mythos, and a compelling twist at that.

The story follows the one Moon Rider, Myrina, from her entrance into the Moon Riders (which is supposed to be for 7 or so years before she returns and takes a mate), through to the defeat of Troy.

I'd recommend this book to those who love stories about the Trojan war, with the caveat that this deals more with one group of people caught up in the w
Kiersten
A pretty good book; a solid combination of high heroine adventure and classic myth and history. Compelling, immersive, actually charming, and very sad. The emotional connection felt a little bit on-and-off, however; I felt very drawn to some relationships in the story and not at all affected by others. That's really my only negative comment; I fully enjoyed reading this. I don’t know if I will read the sequel, though, if I ever come across it – it just wouldn’t be the same. The Moon Riders is a ...more
Dove Harbour
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always loved this story, even though it's aimed a little younger than me now. It's one of those epic adventures in a different world that I always like. The only complaint I have is that the secondary characters could have been fleshed out more, some of them are a little two dimensional. There is also a bit of a gender imbalance, but it is perhaps unavoidable to not have a lot of important male characters in a story about warrior women.
Natalie
May 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
Myrina has always wanted to be a Moon Rider, what the Achaeons call Amazons. This isn't a traditional story of Amazons, however, as the Moon Riders marry and move out of the tribe after seven years. Myrina begins her training when the princess of Troy, Cassandra, joins training.

Cassandra won't be able to stay the whole seven years. Events in Troy change the future of not only Cassandra, but of all the Moon Riders.

This is a great retelling of the Trojan War. There are sequels.
Lucy Booth
Though hard to get into, i have so far found this book to be brilliant - to see the development of Myrina from an unimpressed teenager who has found herself exactky where she wanted to be in life, in the respected gang of Moon-Riders, to a strong young Snake Lady who has seen too much for her age and has a critical part in the War of Troy. I am almost at the end and can't wait to see how the whole mystery resolves itself!
Giulia
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this quite a while ago and I thought it was really really good! Albeit, I was young, but I still remember falling in love with the characters and the setting...
However, I have a hard time remembering everything, save the last scene of the book which is forever seared into my mind (in a good way!)
Jessica
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have given up on this book. It's just not my style and a bit boring and sloooow. The only reason I gave it two stars is that it's not a bad book, I just can't get into it. I gave it a good try though - made it halfway before going on to other books.
If you are into the Battle of Troy and the legend of the Amazons, then you should give this a go.
Rebekah
This book made me cry on two separate occasions. Without moving music or stirring visuals, Theresa's writing moved me to tears. Despite having read many well written books of various genres, it is rare for a book to be able to do that. Theresa doesn't pander to her characters. This isn't a 'happily ever after' type story but it is just as beautiful, if not more so.
Kira Blake
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ok. So I just reread this book and I remembered how much I LOVE IT!!!! It happens during the time of the Trojan War which makes it have some very sad parts, but I love this book just the same. It is written with great characters and the story is well put together. I Highly recommend it. You'll cry though, just warning you!
Campbell Scollo
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Myrina's story is one of courage, bravery, and about being able to do what's right. At the start of the book Myrina is like any other girl her age going to ride with the moon riders but then she meets Cassandra and while she learns as all others did before her she does not know that war is brewing and when it hits it will be the end of Troy
Laney
Sep 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone over the age of 10
I finished the boo and it was SOOOO GOOD It left me near tears but it was an excellent read. It does, however, have a lot of death and despair so for anyone can't handle that, this isn't the book for you.
Susanna
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Historical romance - my favorite! Even after countless reads, this book still moves me to tears. The use of facts and fiction combined creates a whole new world to dive into. My own words cannot convey the pure excellence of this book. Just pick it up and read it!
Tabitha
The whole premise of Warrior women during the Battle of Troy sounded great. Like many other reviews I found plot boring and slow. I kept waiting for the plot to get better (once the main character got to Troy) but it didn't. Much of the main story arches from the Illiad were barely covered.
Ms Unknown
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Is it to bold to say that Theresa Tomlinson's work has shaped the woman you see today? The strength and strong willed characters she writes of have truly inspired me since I was a teenager. An amazing book!
Brinlie Jill
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought it was dumb how Helen and Paris risked thousands of lives just to be together. They should have just elloped and lived in France instead of making Troy get destroyed. But I did like the idea of girl warriors.
Michelle
Apr 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Appropriate for: age 14+
You will like this book if you like: Strong female characters, mythology, horses

Not the best writing ever but the story really drew me in. It was very depressing in the last 1/3 of the book.
Lexie
May 19, 2010 rated it liked it
I am really interested in the Trojan War and that whole history so this book was a great read for me. I love the whole Amazon woman take and I think the author did a great job of researching it. I am definitely intrigued to read the sequel.
Lisa
Jan 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It's for young adults, but it was interesting and had a lot of action mixed in with the history and a culture of Amazons. If you enjoy Greek Amazons, this is a great book to read.

• Lost in the Labyrinth
  • The Woven Path (Tales from the Wyrd Museum, #1)
  • Ariadne:  A Novel of Ancient Crete
  • Quiver
  • Snakehead
  • Corydon and the Island of Monsters (Corydon, #1)
  • Return to Exile (The Carthage Chronicles, #2)
  • Dazzling Brightness (Greek Myths, #1)
  • The Lost Cities: A Drift House Voyage
  • Glint
  • Goddess of Yesterday
  • The F***ing Epic Twitter Quest of @MayorEmanuel
  • Day of the Scarab
  • Waiting for Odysseus
  • The Raven Queen
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • The Thick of It: The Missing DoSAC Files
  • Beauty's Daughter: The Story of Hermione and Helen of Troy
Though I was born in the South of England - my parents moved back to the North when I was one year old, and I have lived in Yorkshire ever since. I spent a few years as an infant teacher, but when my children were young I started making picture books for them and became hooked on writing. I love drawing and painting, but my main love is writing, often using the legends and history around me as ins ...more

Moon Riders (2 books)
  • Voyage of the Snake Lady (Moon Riders, #2)
“Why do we not stay here forever?" Myrina had once asked her grandmother, when she'd been very young.
Hati had laughed. "I wish we could, my honey-child. This place is perfect, but it wouldn't stay perfect for long if we lived here. The waters would run dry, the grazing would be used up and the ground poisoned with our mess; we'd destroy what gives us so much pleasure.”
0 likes
“Aben sighed. "Trojans, like Achaeans, keep their women safe at home, though I for one can't understand such foolishness; those who women ride and fight have twice as many warriors.” 0 likes