Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

GoodReads How To... > Advanced: Add an Image or Picture (the size you want)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 307 (307 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited May 22, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments ~ Add an Image or Picture the Size You Desire ~

Adapted from Mandie's post of Dec 03, 2010 06:03am from the "Nothing But Reading Challenges" group.

REVISED to try and outwit the GoodReads Formatting Bug.

Feel free to practice in this thread and ask questions.

How to post a picture, like a little larger bookcover, or maybe one that is not available on GoodReads or on Photobucket. For example, one of the gazillion bookcovers to Alice In Wonderland.
description
Or a VERY nice NSFW (not safe for work) picture like this (view spoiler).

As an example, we are going to post this picture:
description

a little larger:
description

The internet location of this picture, or URL, is here. Just right mouse click to copy it. It should read:description

TO POST A PICTURE:

◈ Click on (some html is ok) in the right-hand corner above a comment box.
◈ Copy what it says (by the bulleted word image and replace what is between the quotation marks, which I put in bold below.
description
◈ That is where the picture’s URL is inserted. Cut or delete that and insert the new URL. It should look like this:description
◈ Next, change the width and height measurements. You can get out you ruler and calculate aspect ratio, or just wing-it with a guess. I put the numbers in bold that you will change.
description

◈ You may have to fiddle with these numbers to get the desired size. For the smaller picture, I used width="200" height="150". For the larger picture, I used width="400" height="300".

◈ Use the preview before you post to check the size. The description section is the text that is displayed if the image can't be displayed.

❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿

Adjusting Size (in this case, height) to give a uniform appearance.

For my review of Gift from the Sea I wanted to use several pics; while they vary in width, they are all the say height (80) and look like this:

descriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescriptiondescription

To paste in a picture from photobucket.com you would normally use the html code, but when adjusting the size, you need to use the Direct link as pointed to with the red arrow in Screen 1 and close-up in Screen 2 and paste between the first set of quotation marks " ":

Screen 1
Photobucket

Screen 2 - close up
Photobucket

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Adapted from Mandie's post of Dec 03, 2010 06:03am from the "Nothing But Reading Challenges" group.

How to post a picture, like a bookcover, that is not available on GoodReads or on Photobucket. ..."

Hmmm.... I think I'll stick to photobucket, LOL!

message 3: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments To add an image that you can't find in photobucket, do I need to create a photobucket account?

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments ✿Michelle✿, You can create a photobucket account (free or $$). Or, here on GRs, you can paste the url of the website that displays only the picture you want to post into the html equation.

Do you want me to post how to add a web picture to your photobucket account?

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments ✿Michelle✿, I added
(by the bulleted word image)
to the above to clarify what you copy here on GRs.

message 6: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments You can add a book cover on Goodreads. Do you see "Add book/author" over the comment box? You just click on that and search for the book cover you want to post.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Debbie wrote: "You can add a book cover on Goodreads. Do you see "Add book/author" over the comment box? You just click on that and search for the book cover you want to post."

Yes, Debbie! I should have clarified that! The above is for when people want to add a bookcover that is not available, like from another country.

Oh goodness, I didn't check to see if they had added the above bookcover by now. Maybe they have!

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Well crapola! They have. Okay, I'll use another example.

message 9: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments LOL!!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Man-oh-man! I am so disappointed; only one person has clicked the "view spoiler" in my second post above. **sigh**

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments I saw the first one and clicked on it, but I missed the second one til now. WOW!!!!

message 12: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 361 comments OMG! You naughty, naughty girl!

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments I am naughty and I need to be punished...by him. ☺

message 14: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments I didn't even see that second one! Woohoo! Thanks! Lol.

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Glad to make you "Woohoo!", Kit★.

message 16: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments Just what I like,,,NAKED COWBOY!

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments You and me both, girlfriend! **sighs* As Sans says, "Cowboys are my new crack."

message 18: by Debbie (new)

Debbie (halfpint66) | 138 comments YEE-HAW!!!

message 19: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 1416 comments Kind of makes me want to read a western next... lol

message 20: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Kit★ wrote: "Kind of makes me want to read a western next... lol"

LMAO!!!!

message 21: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "You and me both, girlfriend! **sighs* As Sans says, "Cowboys are my new crack.""

ROFL Lisa!!

message 22: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Smith | 415 comments When posting in a discussion how do you insert a pic of the cover of the book rather than typing the name of the book. If it is a goodreads book. Sorry you may have already addressed this, I'm just still not sure how to do it

message 23: by CaroB (last edited Sep 02, 2011 06:49AM) (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments Tracey:
-click on the add book/author link above the text box which you're typing in for the discussion.
-You'll notice a search box opens up and at the bottom the words "add: [o]link [o] cover" with a radio button next to each option.
-Just make sure that "cover" is chosen and when you search for your book by title or author.
-Click on the "add" button next to the option you want to include and the html for the cover will appear in your text box.
-Finish off your comment and press post to see the thumbnail of the cover :-)
Hope that helps!

message 24: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Smith | 415 comments OK... Bound by Night by Amanda Ashley

message 25: by Tracey (new)

Tracey Smith | 415 comments It worked! Thanks CaroB!

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Great! :)

message 27: by CaroB (new)

CaroB (CarobSimms) | 5559 comments No worries Tracey, glad to help :-)

message 28: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Updated this... new stuff under the ❀✿❀✿

message 29: by Midu (last edited Jan 26, 2012 01:28AM) (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Okay, what am I doing wrong here?
[image error]Photobucket" width="10" height="25" alt="description"/>

message 30: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments the width and height aren't changing!

message 31: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Feb 07, 2012 06:03PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Are you using the Direct link or the html code? You need to use the first one.

And your width & height are too small.

This code goes between the two " " (remove the asterisk!)

http:*//i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x380/mlo...

Still, you would get this:
description would be width=10 height=25

You have to play with it (you do get better at judging the more you do it).

description would be width=200 height=200

However, I like the larger one for the first one, like you had. I would make the others smaller... but that is just my opinion.

So maybe,

description would be width=300 height=300

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Did you get it, Midu?

message 33: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments trying! finally resorted to copy pasting your link and just substituting the pic's direct link! hehehe

message 34: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments description

message 35: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments hey I did it!! hehe

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Yes, you did. Now use the Direct link! I'm going to do a screen print. Just give me a few minutes, as I have to mail it to my photobucket account.

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments To paste in a picture from photobucket.com you would normally use the html code, but when adjusting the size, you need to use the Direct link as pointed to with the red arrow:

Screen 1
Photobucket

Screen 2 - close up
Photobucket

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Did you get it, Midu?

message 39: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments Yes, ma'am! Check it out:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/7...

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Okay, Midu, checked your challenge thread. Looks great. ☺ I knew you could do it. Love the pics! I'm going to exit myself from the group, alright?

message 41: by Midu (new)

Midu Hadi | 1684 comments oh okay! thanks once again.

message 42: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments You are quite welcome, Midu! Glad I could help and everything looked great. ☺

message 43: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Ashkenazy (rebashk) WOW!! I searched how to do this on google and this came up! it helped me SOOO much!! Thank yoU!!

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments It did? Whoa. I'm impressed, Rebecca. And you're welcome. ☺

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

I can see the image I want in the preview, but when I post it, it only says "[image]"...

I don't get it =(

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Where does it only say [image], Andrea? When you are looking on your Profile page? Or as a status update? Or in a thread's comment field? Try posting it here, if you want, and I'll look at it.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

I want to put pics in a review, you see. Can you see this one?
description

I can see it in the preview, but not in the post.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

No wait, I can see that one! I dont know whats going on..

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Mar 26, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 20800 comments Andrea, can you post the html in sections, so I can see it?

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

< i m g src=" http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/b... " width="200" height="200" alt="description"/ >

Can't you see it? Thats weird..

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7