Book Haven discussion

Witches > Need suggestions...

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J.D. (new)

J.D. Stroube | 2393 comments Mod
I've been getting bored of books with Vampires, and kind of want to read some books with Witches. Unfortunately, I am having difficulty finding ones I haven't already heard of or already read. Anyone have some suggestions?

I really like books where people discover that they are witches when they are teens or adults. I like the ones where they discover a magical item that gives them abilities or a book of spells. I enjoy ones with covens. I like ones with a darker element to them. I like it when they go to a school with other witches or paranormals. These are just some of the plots I like that are associated with witches. :)

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (bookbarrio) | 3 comments Try Cate Tiernan's Sweep Series or the Balefire and Immortal Beloved series by same author.

message 3: by Joseph (last edited Feb 26, 2011 05:15AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 23 comments If you are looking for urban fantasy-themed witches, you might like:
Dime Store Magic, Industrial Magic, and Waking The Witch from Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series
Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld series, it starts with Witchling.
Kim Harrison's Rachel Morgan series, it starts with Dead Witch Walking.
Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series, it starts with Skinwalker. The title character is a shapeshifter, but her best friend is a witch.
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde trilogy, it starts with Burning Water

If you are looking for realistic fiction-themed Witches A.K.A. Wiccans, you might like:
M. R. Sellars Rowan Gant series, it starts with Harm None: A Rowan Gant Investigation
Madelyn Alt's Bewitched Mystery series, it starts with The Trouble With Magic
Isobel Bird's Circle of Three young adult series, it starts with So Mote It Be
Bell, Book, and Murder: The Bast Mysteries by Rosemary Edghill
The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe

message 4: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Dutton | 19 comments The Three Sisters Island collection by Nora Roberts is good.

message 5: by Lacy (new)

message 6: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments definite seconds for M.R. Sellars (read them in order!) and Mercedes Lackey's Diana Tregarde books.

Physick Book of Deliverance Dane was cool, but I liked the historical stuff better than the present day parts.

A Discovery of Witches is supposed to be excellent, but I' waiting for the price to come down.

message 7: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) The Crucible

message 9: by Rich (last edited Oct 31, 2013 01:49PM) (new)

Rich | 3 comments This group looks like it can help me stop racking my brain trying to remember a series I read.
Plot: There were witches (casters) of various color; green-nature, red-fire, they had this little occult shop, this one witch who didn't know she was one came to town with her special needs brother, a group of chasing her and would discover these other casters, there was group of protectors that watched after the witches and some fell in love with their charged witch and it was horribly painful for them.

Does that ring a bell with anyone? I can't for the life of me remember titles or author. Thanks!!!

I keep remembering more but not the author or titles. Here is more: this watchers or protectors have some demon aspect which makes it painful to be too close or touch these light witches. Each of these witches start to fall for their watcher. I think the original 3 witches; nature/fire/water all ran this occult shop in Atlanta. The fourth light witch is running from demon attacks with her special needs brother and come to this shop and it goes from there with each book focusing more on a single light witches current situation and her relationship to her protector. I keep searching lists and websites but haven't found them yet. It is bugging me so much now I want to read them all again. :)

message 10: by Rich (new)

Rich | 3 comments More hours and google searches have gotten me no closer. I have read so many books, they tend to run together but I can't grab this one and it remains on the tip of my tongue.

Here is more on the series if anyone can help me name it.

The 3 witches or casters are in Atlanta running this occult shop which is just a cover because no one suspects them as "true witches" Atlanta is somehow shielded from this "Counsel" that is seeking this magic users as well as demons being after them because they are light witches (green, red, blue) when this forth witch comes to town something breaks the shield around Atlanta so now demons and the magic Counsel are after them.

These guardians of the witches drawn to their charge even when they don't know who the "special one - soulmate" is have some sort of demon-symbiot thing in them that gives them powers but also keeps them from being able to fall in love or touch their light witch charge, even though it seems each of them fall for their witch. Oh well, I can see bits and pieces in my mind but just can't dig the cobwebs away.

HELP!!!!!!!!! :)

message 11: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 4 comments the witching hour?

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 5 comments There are 2 books by Deborah Harkness that include vampires as well as witches and if I remember correctly one other fantasy species. The books are called A Discovery of Witches & Shadow of Night. They are actually very good books.