Start by marking “Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)

Book of Shadows

(Wicca #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  21,835 Ratings  ·  1,215 Reviews
Something is happening to me that I don't understand.

I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do. Powerful things. Magical things. It scares me.

I never chose to learn witchcraft. But I'm starting to wonder if witchcraft is choosing me.
Published March 22nd 2007 by Speak (first published January 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Shadows, please sign up.
JonSnow Book 1 is merely the start of what ends up being quite an epic tale. The books mature from being cheesy to being very serious later on. This book is…moreBook 1 is merely the start of what ends up being quite an epic tale. The books mature from being cheesy to being very serious later on. This book is also party of a several book story arc. Not much thrilling really happens in this book. It's more about being a teenager, and her awakening to herself. The books after this take on a darker tone. The characters also mature into adults. The series covers decades and a vast plot reaching centuries past and present.(less)

Wendy Darling
This review is really about the whole Sweep series, but I'm putting it with Book One because that's where people will go to find out whether all of them are worth reading. I started out really enjoying the series, then HATED WITH A PASSION what seemed to be going on, and then am left now feeling really sad and cheated. I've never started out liking a series and then turned around and felt so angry and disappointed and sad after it ended.

Firstly, I have to say that I really enjoyed books 1 - 6.
This was an okay story about teenage witches, and it reminded me a bit of The Secret Circle. I was shocked at the way Morgan’s best friend Bree treated her, and the love triangle was fairly predictable. It was an okay story overall though, which left us with a bit of a cliff-hanger.

6.5 out of 10
Abriana
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why did I love this???

Objectively this book is so so bad. Insta-love, very juvenile writing, crappy character development, infinite etc. But, I. JUST. COULDN'T. STOP.
Melissa Vanity
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have nothing bad to say about these books. These are the books that started it all for me, this is the series that made me want to be a reader. When I discovered this series, I was about 12 at the time and I was so fascinated by Wicca and Paganism and Spellcraft that it amazed me to read so much about it. I was so intrigued and bewildered by these books and the knowledge they held and the impeccable storyline. I read every single one and it has been a good 8 years since I discovered these book ...more
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was a re-read for my October TBT video but life got in the fucking way last week and I got literally nothing productive done. There won’t be a video on this because life is hard and I dropped the ball but just know: I still LOVED this. Will definitely carry on and re-read more of the series over the next few months.
Cher
Oct 13, 2016 rated it liked it
3 stars - It was good.

The writing is only so-so, average at best with shallow cardboard characters. However, the plot moves along nicely and is engaging enough that I am interested in seeing what happens next. It does seem to be well researched and it is interesting to see many of the myths about Wicca confronted.
-------------------------------------------
First Sentence: Years from now I’ll look back and remember today as the day I met him.
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
I'm so late to this series but very excited to continue on with the next books!

3.5 out of 5 stars

Book of Shadows follows a young girl called Morgan, who lives in a strong Catholic family and attends church every Sunday. Her school life changes with the arrival of a new boy called Cal, who is a practising Wiccan. Morgan and her school friends start becoming interested in all of the beliefs surrounding Wicca but has to keep this a secret from her family. She then discovers something about herself
Julie Zantopoulos
This was a super quick audiobook and I listened to half and read my physical copy for the last half. I am a sucker for witch books and this quick read was perfect for my mini-slump. I studied up on Wicca for a few years in my late teens early 20's so I understood a lot of the terminology otherwise it could have been pretty info-dumpy.

I enjoyed the read and the characters even if it was insta-everything. And it was, instant everything. Instant introduction to Wicca, to a new love interest, and t
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Michaela Pallante aka "Mickey" for TeensReadToo.com

Morgan Rowlands is a normal teenage girl. She gets good grades, hangs out with her friends, and goes to church with her family on Sundays. Nothing out of the ordinary ever happens to her... until she meets Cal Blaire.

Cal is the new cute senior who has just transferred to Widow's Vale High. His looks aren't the only thing that sets him apart from other boys. He's Wiccan, a different religion than Morgan and one that she has never com
Mindy
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tiffany Duke
Shelves: 2011
Wow! What can I say without completely ruining this book?

In previous reviews; I have complained about books with way too much page filler but not this book! It is a small, quick, easy and entertaining read!

Unlike a lot of the other Urban Fantasy books I have been reading lately, this book seemed really lifelike! I could see how this would make someone curious about Wicca. I don't believe in "Wicca" or White Magic but I could see how this book could make someone really want to study into it.

Morga
Kimi
Jan 24, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't get it. This book has no actual plot or major conflict to speak of, the characters are unconvincing and inconsistent, there's no action, no suspense, no romance, and very little logic or explanation about how anything works (like the MC suddenly waking up clairvoyant). There's also quite a bit of repetitive exposition and, overall, the whole thing is poorly executed.

The very little that could be foreshadowed is blatantly obvious from the start and will probably somehow take several book
Angie Lucido
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I start reading book #1 and read straight through. I couldn't stop. I did't think that all 15 books were going to be all soo good. I loved, loved, loved them all! They kept you on the edge of your seat through the whole series and I didn't want them to end but what a great ending to a great series.
Scribblegirl
Scale of 1-10: 4
Pros: Tiernan's writing does not suck, and she might be able to get decent mileage out of her story, as the books are short and quick reads.
Cons: Struck me as a Harry Potter retread with an older, female heroine.

Synopsis: Morgan Rowlands finds out she's got a talent for witchcraft after superhot, supernatural Cal Blaire moves to her small, upstate NY town and starts slingin' the magic mojo around...not that anyone seems to notice or think it's weird.

My take: In a nutshell? Tiern
Thomas Hastings
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finally found my "guilty pleasure" book series!
It was very entertaining and I loved the story so much!
At first, it was really difficult for me to memorize all of the characters but once you read the first 10 chapters, this feeling is gone!
I am glad to see that this book series has a huge number of books because I am so curious where it will go!
I DIDN'T EXPECTED THIS ENDING AND I AM STILL IN A STATE OF SHOCK BUT SO HAPPY AT THE SAME TIME!
Oh and I really want to learn more about Cal in the next
whenlovespeaks
3,5 ⭐ - Das Buch befasst sich mit dem Thema 'Wicca' und ich finde dieses Hexenthema wirklich sehr spannend und interessant. Leider wurde es mir etwas zu unrealistisch und suspekt, sonst hätte ich sicherlich noch einen Stern mehr gegeben. Dennoch ließ sich das Buch super schnell und flüssig lesen und ich habe das Gefühl, dass noch ganz viel Luft nach oben ist - ich werde also Band 2 auf jeden Fall lesen und hoffe, dass mich dieser Band noch etwas mehr begeistern kann. ...more
Claire (bookscoffeeandrepeat)
I just breezed through this. It reminded me of The Secret Circle. Annoying romance but it was fun and interesting.
Mar
Sep 09, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5*
Say-Boo!!!!!
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing is solid and the story is interesting. I am not a fan of clogs so I try to ignore the authors descriptions of the heroines attire. I subtracted one star for that.
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of coming of age stories with a touch of magic.
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

A fantastic first book full of magic, mystery and discovery.
This is around the 4/5 time I've read this book now and it never disappoints! I first discovered this series aged 14, and in a weird way, I almost feel like the books chose me. They came to me in a point in my life where I really needed them, and held for me some key advice and life lessons that helped me deal with several big changes going on at that time. These books are i
JonSnow
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read in 2017
Read in 2014
Read in 2009
Read in 2003

2017- This marks my 4th time reading this book. For the new reader I must emphasize that these books mature as you read. They start off seeming like cheesy teenage fiction on a cringe worthy level, but they evolve into a truly grand, wonderful and epic story of the coming of age, and the realization of remarkable heritage.

A plain unassuming wallflower finds she is anything but ordinary. In fact, she is extraordinary! As she follows a path seeming d
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
4/5
I really liked this book, I love stories about witches so I am biased though haha. The only downside to it was that it was pretty short and involved quite a bit of world building but I love the premise and romance and I am so hooked
Esmee
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, 2018
4,5/5 Zoveel liede voor deze serie, zelfs na honderd keer lezen. Dit eerste deel is één van mijn favoriete en het leest heerlijk weg. Tijd om te binge readen?
Bridget
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
2018 re-read! Still a great read for some less intense immersion!!
Chibineko
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First off, let me say that if you are looking for a true to life portrayal of the Wiccan faith, look elsewhere. Yes, the author has taken great pains to stay as close to the actual practice as possible, but she still takes several liberties in order to make for a good story. Even so, this is one of the very few mainstream series I've read that actually gets the main gist of the Pagan religion.

Now for the story. The story focuses around Morgan, a somewhat normal girl. When the cute new boy in sc
Kaisa
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Nononononono T_T I wanted this book to be good. But then again, what was I thinking? If a book is 160 pages long.. and also a part of a series with three gazillion other books... it just can't be good.

I don't know why, but recently I've been interested in wicca. It's probably cuz I've been re-watching Charmed. The TV show.
Anyway, that's why I bought the first three books in this series. I wanted to read about witches.

This book is about a bunch of teens who get involved with a wiccan witch dude
Loren
Oct 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teenagers
A wonderful start to 'Sweep'/'Wicca'. *Spoilers books 1-4*

Tiernan has an incredible talent for creating uniquely vivid characters. Normally I shy away from books written in the 1st person, but this was pleasantly different.

The vulnerable nature of the main character means we can begin to empathise with her unusually quickly. This also blinds us to simple truths such as Hunter and Sky's true natures. We stand united with Morgan against them and we too feel crushed at Cal's betrayal.

The ending i
Sanne
Jul 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finished yaaay! Cant wait to start book 2
ஐ฿υκєτஐ
Şu çember olayları sıktı biraz ama başlangıç için iyi gibi.
Dany Burns
Jun 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-books, 2018-reads
I got this whole series from my aunt (all 15 books) a couple of years ago and I read quite a few of them at that time but I never finished the series. My therapist suggested I have a book I read only before I go to bed so I can prime my brain to be tired when I read it and I thought these books would be good for that. When I first read this book I was younger than the protagonist, who is 16. Now I'm older than her and that has made a pretty significant difference in reading these. Morgan, 8the p ...more
Jean
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was ok

*** Spoilers *** Spoilers *** Spoilers ***

First,
This series was on my "to read" list for awhile and I decided to read it.

There were a few confusing issues and scenes that I did not like.

I want to say that I do not understand how old Cal is..
I thought it was mentioned that Cal is older than Hunter and Hunter was mentioned to be 19 years old and the youngest of the Witch Council,
with that said..
if Cal is older than Hunter and Hunter is 19, why is Cal still in high school???
However, his age goes ba
  • The Challenge Box (Circle of Three, #14)
  • Witches' Night of Fear
  • Witch Ball (The Seer, #3)
  • Goddess of the Night (Daughters of the Moon, #1)
  • White Is for Magic (Blue is for Nightmares, #2)
  • Revelations (Fingerprints, #6)
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more

Wicca (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Seeker (Sweep, #10)
  • Origins (Sweep, #11)
“Anytime you feel love for anything, be it stone, tree, lover, or child, you are touched by the Goddess's magick...” 94 likes
“Men are natural warriors, but a woman in battle is truly bloodthirsty” 26 likes