Start by marking “Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)” as Want to Read:
Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)

Book of Shadows

(Wicca #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  24,719 ratings  ·  1,450 reviews
Something is happening to me that I don't understand.

I see things, feel things in a new way. I can do things normal people can't do. Powerful things. Magical things. It scares me.

I never chose to learn witchcraft. But I'm starting to wonder if witchcraft is choosing me.
Published March 22nd 2007 by Speak (first published January 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Book of Shadows, please sign up.
Jon Book 1 is merely the start of what ends up being quite an epic tale. The books mature from being cheesy to being very serious later on. This book is a…moreBook 1 is merely the start of what ends up being quite an epic tale. The books mature from being cheesy to being very serious later on. This book is also party of a several book story arc. Not much thrilling really happens in this book. It's more about being a teenager, and her awakening to herself. The books after this take on a darker tone. The characters also mature into adults. The series covers decades and a vast plot reaching centuries past and present.(less)

·  24,719 ratings  ·  1,450 reviews

Start your review of Book of Shadows (Sweep, #1)
Wendy Darling
This review is really about the whole Sweep series, but I'm putting it with Book One because that's where people will go to find out whether all of them are worth reading. I started out really enjoying the series, then HATED WITH A PASSION what seemed to be going on, and then am left now feeling really sad and cheated. I've never started out liking a series and then turned around and felt so angry and disappointed and sad after it ended.

Firstly, I have to say that I really enjoyed books 1 - 6.
Abriana
Sep 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Why did I love this???

Objectively this book is so so bad. Insta-love, very juvenile writing, crappy character development, infinite etc. But, I. JUST. COULDN'T. STOP.
Melissa Vanity
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I have nothing bad to say about these books. These are the books that started it all for me, this is the series that made me want to be a reader. When I discovered this series, I was about 12 at the time and I was so fascinated by Wicca and Paganism and Spellcraft that it amazed me to read so much about it. I was so intrigued and bewildered by these books and the knowledge they held and the impeccable storyline. I read every single one and it has been a good 8 years since I discovered these book ...more
Sarah Elizabeth
This was an okay story about teenage witches, and it reminded me a bit of The Secret Circle. I was shocked at the way Morgan’s best friend Bree treated her, and the love triangle was fairly predictable. It was an okay story overall though, which left us with a bit of a cliff-hanger.

6.5 out of 10
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was a re-read for my October TBT video but life got in the fucking way last week and I got literally nothing productive done. There won’t be a video on this because life is hard and I dropped the ball but just know: I still LOVED this. Will definitely carry on and re-read more of the series over the next few months.
Cher
3 stars - It was good.

The writing is only so-so, average at best with shallow cardboard characters. However, the plot moves along nicely and is engaging enough that I am interested in seeing what happens next. It does seem to be well researched and it is interesting to see many of the myths about Wicca confronted.
-------------------------------------------
First Sentence: Years from now I’ll look back and remember today as the day I met him.
Alice-Elizabeth (Prolific Reader Alice)
I'm so late to this series but very excited to continue on with the next books!

3.5 out of 5 stars

Book of Shadows follows a young girl called Morgan, who lives in a strong Catholic family and attends church every Sunday. Her school life changes with the arrival of a new boy called Cal, who is a practising Wiccan. Morgan and her school friends start becoming interested in all of the beliefs surrounding Wicca but has to keep this a secret from her family. She then discovers something about herself
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Michaela Pallante aka "Mickey" for TeensReadToo.com

Morgan Rowlands is a normal teenage girl. She gets good grades, hangs out with her friends, and goes to church with her family on Sundays. Nothing out of the ordinary ever happens to her... until she meets Cal Blaire.

Cal is the new cute senior who has just transferred to Widow's Vale High. His looks aren't the only thing that sets him apart from other boys. He's Wiccan, a different religion than Morgan and one that she has never com
Amber J
Nov 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I saw something last night-a flash of power from an unexpected source. I can't jump to conclusions - I've been looking and waiting and watching for too long to make a mistake. But in my gut I feel she's here. She's here and she has power. I need to get closer to her.”
― Cate Tiernan, Book of Shadows

I try to express only my most honest opinion in a spoiler free way. If you feel anything in my review is a spoiler and is not already hidden in spoiler brackets please let me know. Thank you.

Morga

Mindy
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Tiffany Duke
Shelves: 2011
Wow! What can I say without completely ruining this book?

In previous reviews; I have complained about books with way too much page filler but not this book! It is a small, quick, easy and entertaining read!

Unlike a lot of the other Urban Fantasy books I have been reading lately, this book seemed really lifelike! I could see how this would make someone curious about Wicca. I don't believe in "Wicca" or White Magic but I could see how this book could make someone really want to study into it.

Morga
Angie Lucido
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ok so I start reading book #1 and read straight through. I couldn't stop. I did't think that all 15 books were going to be all soo good. I loved, loved, loved them all! They kept you on the edge of your seat through the whole series and I didn't want them to end but what a great ending to a great series. ...more
Ashley
Nov 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Star Rating: —> 3.5 Stars [rounded^]

Some exciting; some meh. Protagonist is luke warm.

Advice: RAYOR (Read At Your Own Risk)
I feel as if this wasn't by any means BAD, but it wasn't fantastic.
Danyelle
Jun 22, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5 good start to a series there where a few times I wanted to strangle the main characters best friend but it was good.
Jessica Williamson
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

Oh boy this definitely filled the witchy void I've been feeling in reading lately!

I enjoyed the set up of this novel, though it did fall into some typical early 2000's traps. For instance, describing three characters physical appearances down to a T in the first few paragraphs. But that can be forgiven because of how much FUN this was.

There could have been more plot and I'm not completely happy with how it ended, but I did enjoy it. Which is good because I bought all of the bind-ups of
Scribblegirl
Scale of 1-10: 4
Pros: Tiernan's writing does not suck, and she might be able to get decent mileage out of her story, as the books are short and quick reads.
Cons: Struck me as a Harry Potter retread with an older, female heroine.

Synopsis: Morgan Rowlands finds out she's got a talent for witchcraft after superhot, supernatural Cal Blaire moves to her small, upstate NY town and starts slingin' the magic mojo around...not that anyone seems to notice or think it's weird.

My take: In a nutshell? Tiern
Thomas
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finally found my "guilty pleasure" book series!
It was very entertaining and I loved the story so much!
At first, it was really difficult for me to memorize all of the characters but once you read the first 10 chapters, this feeling is gone!
I am glad to see that this book series has a huge number of books because I am so curious where it will go!
I DIDN'T EXPECTED THIS ENDING AND I AM STILL IN A STATE OF SHOCK BUT SO HAPPY AT THE SAME TIME!
Oh and I really want to learn more about Cal in the next
Andy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a fun story about witches, magic, and wicca! I loved Morgan and how she was fascinated by wicca. I wasn't so much of a fan about the focus on Cal and how attractive he was. I think it didn't really bring the story anything. Plus, it only caused problems between Morgan and her supposed best friend, Bree. It was so petty and ridiculous! Fighting over a guy: come on ugh *rolls eyes*

I really liked that Morgan still kept her Catholicism. There was a line in the book that went something like
Claire
I just breezed through this. It reminded me of The Secret Circle. Annoying romance but it was fun and interesting.
Jon
Jun 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read in 2017
Read in 2014
Read in 2009
Read in 2003

2017- This marks my 4th time reading this book. For the new reader I must emphasize that these books mature as you read. They start off seeming like cheesy teenage fiction on a cringe worthy level, but they evolve into a truly grand, wonderful and epic story of the coming of age, and the realization of remarkable heritage.

A plain unassuming wallflower finds she is anything but ordinary. In fact, she is extraordinary! As she follows a path seeming d
Dana Al-Basha |  دانة الباشا
Morgan isn't a special girl or so she thought; she is loved by her friends and family, her life is basic and normal until a new guy enrolls in their school in the beginning of their school year named Cal. He is every girls' crush including Morgan. He befriends every clique in high school and invites them to a party where he introduces them to wicca and magick!

Morgan is more than intrigued and it's not only about Cal for her, magick calls to her. She buys books, learns more and even does a spell
Say-Boo!!!!!
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The writing is solid and the story is interesting. I am not a fan of clogs so I try to ignore the authors descriptions of the heroines attire. I subtracted one star for that.
Hannah Cassie
My review in video format you can find here --> Witchy Reviews: BOOK OF SHADOWS by Cate Tiernan ...more
Becky (Blogs of a Bookaholic)
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of coming of age stories with a touch of magic.
description
This review was originally published on Blogs of a Bookaholic.

A fantastic first book full of magic, mystery and discovery.
This is around the 4/5 time I've read this book now and it never disappoints! I first discovered this series aged 14, and in a weird way, I almost feel like the books chose me. They came to me in a point in my life where I really needed them, and held for me some key advice and life lessons that helped me deal with several big changes going on at that time. These books are i
Meisha (ALittleReader)
This was all around disappointing. :/ The writing and characters were extremely juvenile (even for a high school target audience) and the plot was lack luster. The writing was very dry and some of the characters really got on my nerves. Speaking of, for 176 page book, 15+ characters are way too many! 10 of which are part of the main plot and only 2 of them have a story arch. None of them are properly developed and their pasts are never really discussed. So you never get to know very much about a ...more
Nov 05, 2014 rated it liked it
4/5
I really liked this book, I love stories about witches so I am biased though haha. The only downside to it was that it was pretty short and involved quite a bit of world building but I love the premise and romance and I am so hooked
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Still pretty fun on a reread! Aside from the girl hate and Bree's entire attitude >.> ...more
Bedelia
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
2018 re-read! Still a great read for some less intense immersion!!
Michelle (MichelleReadsYA)
Jan 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
Does My Book Club Hate Me? || Reading Vlog https://youtu.be/XHYvKFtHneg

Jess has been talking to book club about this book for a while but I’ve never heard of it. I really enjoyed my time reading this and loved the love triangle. Can’t wait to continue on with the series.
Soraya
Dec 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
As im getting older the way the book is written and the characters behave get more and more annoying, but i tend to read this series every other year. It's an easy read and i like the world of magick a lot. Great for when i still have to start the goodreads challenge when december has already started. ...more
#ReadAllTheBooks
Oct 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
First off, let me say that if you are looking for a true to life portrayal of the Wiccan faith, look elsewhere. Yes, the author has taken great pains to stay as close to the actual practice as possible, but she still takes several liberties in order to make for a good story. Even so, this is one of the very few mainstream series I've read that actually gets the main gist of the Pagan religion.

Now for the story. The story focuses around Morgan, a somewhat normal girl. When the cute new boy in sc

• Sorcière, tome 2 - Le cercle
  • Mad Magic (Mad Magic Saga #1)
  • Fateful Magic (Star-Crossed, #6.75)
  • Blood of Anteros (Vampire Agápe, #1)
  • Outlier (Sentry of the South #1; Spellslingers Academy of Magic #4)
  • Breathless Magic (Star-Crossed, #6.5)
  • Don't Die, Dragonfly (The Seer, #1)
  • The Redeemable Prince (Star-Crossed, #7)
  • The Trials of Blackbriar Academy (Blackbriar Academy, #1)
  • Cursed (The Devil's Roses, #1)
  • The Initiation (The Secret Circle, #1)
  • Last Dance (The Seer, #2)
  • The Best Kind of Magic (Windy City Magic, #1)
  • The Reluctant King (Star-Crossed, #5)
  • Olivier (Cobayes, #5)
  • Circle of Fire (Prophecy of the Sisters, #3)
  • The Sweetest Kind of Fate (Windy City Magic, #2)
  • Reckless Magic (Star-Crossed, #1)
See top shelves…
"was born in New Orleans, LA, in 1961. New Orleans is one of the most interesting American cities, and it has an incredibly rich and exotic culture that had a profound influence on me. Kids in other cities have lemonade stands; we sold voodoo gris-gris and made wax dolls in the likenesses of our enemies. It's a very beautiful city, and the constant heat and humidity make gardens grow out of contro ...more

Wicca (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Coven (Sweep, #2)
  • Blood Witch (Sweep, #3)
  • Dark Magick (Sweep, #4)
  • Awakening (Sweep, #5)
  • Spellbound (Sweep, #6)
  • The Calling (Sweep, #7)
  • Changeling (Sweep, #8)