This is not The Haters Club You're Looking For discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
I hate Life on Mars

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell The American version of The Office is funnier than the British version. It just is. So bite me.

message 2: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell You're right that they usually water them down when they bring them over here, but maybe they'll do this one right. Besides, you can almost always get the original on DVD. British shows normally only go for about a dozen episodes.

message 3: by Dave (last edited Aug 13, 2008 10:05PM) (new)

Dave Russell The American version is an Avogadro's number times funnier than the British version. For one, it has a more developed supporting cast, more people for Carrell to play off of. For another, I had to watch the British version with subtitles just to understand what the hell they were talking about, and even then it didn't always help.

message 4: by Dave (last edited Aug 13, 2008 10:29PM) (new)

Dave Russell Rickey Gervais is incredibly funny. I think Extras is funnier than either version of the Office. But, even if Dawn/Tim are is more interesting than Jim/Pam (it's not, BTW) what about Dwight? Are you actually going to take the time to type out the lie that Gareth is funnier than Dwight? Careful, a lie that deliberately told will put you in the one of the hottest places in hell when you die. Also: Stanley, Meredith, Kelly. There's so much diversity in the humor on that show. The British version is basically a one-note show. MIT is, as we speak, doing research to discover a number that is of an order of magnitude large enough to describe how much more hilarious the American version is than the British.

message 5: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Yes, definitely.

Servius  Heiner Dwight... mmmm sweet beets! Hands down way better then Garth. Besides Michale plays the incompetent part way better.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Myself, i avoid the annoyance of badly written, badly cast, badly acted television simply by never turning on the idiot box in the first place.

Except for broadcasts of a religious nature during the High Holy Season, from September to February.

message 8: by Tracy (new)

Tracy do you know what british show SHOULD get an american remake? the IT crowd. because a) no one has ever heard of it becuase it apparently only exists on the internet, which is lame, becuase it's like the office but 10x geekier, and b) ...actually, a) was my only reason, becuase the show is kind of awesome already. although i do have to say, whats with british shows having only like 9 episodes? they should have american remakes if only because of our need for prolific, decade long runs of decent shows.

actually, i've never watched the british office... maybe i should rent that. and i'd be interested to see just how badly the american version of coupling turned out (which i don't understand why we needed one anyway, since we already had friends, which is basically coupling with a healthy dose of good old american being-awkward-talking-about-sex thrown in).

message 9: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments I am so glad they never tried to do an American remake of Benny Hill. That would be so annoying.

What? WHAT? That’s all I got, people. I’m just trying to contribute and that (in addition to Monty Python) is the only British show I’ve ever seen.

Signed: Rusty (the Ugly American)

message 10: by Tracy (new)

Tracy ah. well in that case i will have to just content myself with coupling and abfab reruns. sigh.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Boisture I don't remember an American version of Abfab. When was that on?

I like the American Office better, but only slightly. I love love love Extras!

message 12: by Gus (new)

Gus Sanchez (gussanchez) American TV stealing ideas from British shows is nothing new. All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Three's Company, as examples, were lifted from shows previously broadcast on the BBC.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments I tough this was going to be some sort of protest against somebody building a base in mars… based on the fact that every time why do that on the movies some crazy aliens kick the shit out us…. and I was going to join that protest!!! But no…. apparently is about another TV show that I don’t know anything about… y’all suck!!! Can we talk about the so many reasons of why nobody should attempt to build a human settlement in Mars???

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XXGZ4... one more reason!! After playing that game I decided that I wasn’t going to Mars no matter what!!!!!! Doom 3 really scared the shit out of me!

message 15: by Rusty (new)

Rusty (rustyshackleford) | 2198 comments Alfonso, here are a few reasons we should never start a colony on Mars. Sorry if this overlaps. I can’t view your links at work.

Space vampires

Mars is actually the egg of some monstrous space squid

Space parasites

Space gonorrhea

Planet-killing asteroid showers

Space invaders

Shape-shifting, homicidal Martians

Space Godzilla

Cute little space monkeys that turn into space sasquatches at night, and eat you.

Space ghosts (coast to coast?)

message 16: by Dave (new)

Dave Russell Space vampires are from Venus, space succubi are from Mars.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Don’t forget:

Martian Jehovah witness… if you think they annoying here… wait till you see em on Mars!!!

Martian ninjas!!! Just imagine what a ninja can do in such low gravity!!! We’ll be doom!!! Doom I say!!!!

Martian teenagers!!! They proly going to be mutants with 2 mouths and 4 legs so they can make twice the noisy while they ride 2 skateboards!

Martian wine…. Is cheaper that regular wine… but it tastes like ass!! And I don’t mean good ass! I mean nasty ass (not that I know how nasty ass tastes like but I heard the reviews)

Martian politics!!!! Another freaking secession war??? Wtf!!

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Argggg, I can’t think of nothing to counter that!!! so here random counter #23: You smell like cigars!

message 19: by Dave (last edited Aug 14, 2008 11:35AM) (new)

Dave Russell That's actually true. I just now finished smoking one. It was a Nicaraguan one though, not Dominican.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments i think i posted on the wrong thread =P ty for responding here tho =) that was nice of you

Jackie "the Librarian" I like Mars bars. We definitely should establish a base if it means cheaper candy.

The Crimson Fucker (tcf123) | -3 comments Damn bunny got nothing on a subject!!!!!! That’s a first time!!!!

message 23: by Chloe (new)

Chloe (countessofblooms) tracy, the IT Crowd is the funniest show that I've ever seen! You're right, it definitely deserves an American remake (or just to be aired in the US).

shellyindallas I hate Life on Mars, too. Why would anyone want to remake that ridiculousness?

Jackie "the Librarian" Aw, no, Bunny! Look at that widdle kitty face! Those eyes, and those whiskers! You can't beat up a kitten. Nope. No way.

Just distract her with some catnip, that's the way to win this fight.

shellyindallas Yeah, I got that. I read your post. It was a jab. Bring it on. I'm not de-clawed.

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom Foolery (tomfoolery) Cat claws aren't all that threatening. You just grab the cat by the scruff of the neck and hold it at arms length, then do whatever seems convenient-- drop it in a sack, throw it in the toilet then drop the lid, toss it in a dog kennel, as appropriate to the situation.

shellyindallas Sweet- an animal lover!

shellyindallas I don't know...Seems a little like "I know! A cop show!" "No. Too many out there already. We need something new and fresh." "OK. I got it. A cop who travels back in time." "Genius. Do it."

Still, to be fair, I haven't given it much a chance. My ex-bf was into it. Hmmm. Come to think of it maybe that's what I have against it???

message 30: by Dave (last edited Aug 17, 2008 01:21PM) (new)

Dave Russell Maybe, it went more like this: "I got a great idea for a time-travel show." "People don't want to see that. People want cop shows. Things they are familiar with." "I know! A time-traveling cop show!"

shellyindallas Well, I guess that sounds interesting enough. I don't have cable, but I'm into netflixing TV shows lately. Maybe it's available there.

And, who knows, maybe the American version won't let you down???

message 32: by EvilNick (new)

EvilNick I don't think The IT crowd would be easy to remake as a US version. Was there ever a US version of Father Ted?

I would like to see a UK version of some US shows. Now that would be funny. A Uk version of 30 rock say, but with Jack Dee instead of Tina Fey.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.