Urban Fantasy discussion

BOOK RECOMMENDATIONS > Looking for Recommendations: Which Series to Read Next?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks I love to read urban fantasy and paranormal romance series. I have read many series and am at a loss for what to read now. I like some YA reads but am mostly into the adult genre right now. Some of my favorite recently read series are

Mercy Thompson
Chicagoland Vampires
Fever
Kate Daniels
Twilight
Vampire Academy
Downside Ghost
Alpha And Omega
The Sookie Stackhouse Series
I listed the series above to let you get an idea of what I like to read. I like to wait to read a series until several books are out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

message 2: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh (mementomordi) Sharp Teeth

This isn't a series but an amazing and original stand alone novel. It has a romantic plot that can either be looked on as side or main depending on which you prefer. I highly recommend it!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) (glavauoblacima) | 2 comments Kathy wrote: "I love to read urban fantasy and paranormal romance series. I have read many series and am at a loss for what to read now. I like some YA reads but am mostly into the adult genre right now. Some of..."

Hey, Kathy. Apparently we have similar tastes. :) Have you tried the Cassie Palmer series or the Dorina Basarab series?
There is, of course, the Night Huntress series, but I'm guessing you've already read that one. And I LOVED the Charlie Madigan series by Kelly Gay. There are only two books for now, but I really liked them.

:)

message 5: by Lisa O. (new)

Lisa O. | 48 comments I would suggest the Jane Yellowrock series and the October Daye series, both have three books out and are turning out to be great series in my opinion.
Skinwalker (Jane Yellowrock, #1) by Faith Hunter Rosemary and Rue (October Daye, #1) by Seanan McGuire

(For some reason I don't like the Rosemary and Rue cover so I didn't pick it up for a long time, but once I did I really enjoyed it!)

message 6: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) I like the ones you've mentioned. A few others I've enjoyed include:
the Devon Monk series about Allie Beckstrom
On the Edge and Bayou Moon
(another series by Ilona Andrews)
Jenienne Frost's Night Huntress series
http://jeanienefrost.com/
C.E. Murphy http://cemurphy.net/

message 7: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks Maja (Glavauoblacima) wrote: "Kathy wrote: "I love to read urban fantasy and paranormal romance series. I have read many series and am at a loss for what to read now. I like some YA reads but am mostly into the adult genre righ..."

I haven't read the Night Huntress Series yet but I am thinking of starting it tonight. I have had it on my Kindle for a couple of weeks and just debating on rather to read it. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) Night Huntress is a good one. :) Have fun meeting Bones.

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 36 comments Hi Kathy! Everything on your list is in my top favorites as well except Downside Ghosts and Alpha and Omega. The Night Huntress series is probably in a three-way tie with the Fever series and the Sookie series for my favorite. If you love the ones you mentioned, you will absolutely love the Night Huntress series. Halfway through the book I was ready to leave my bf for Bones (j/k honey!!!) and was texting my reading buddy friend that she MUST download the book asap (and that was before I even finished the first book!).

message 10: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) Bones. Sigh. ;D I really liked the Night Huntress series--so much so that I was chain reading them--finish one, pick up another.

Another couple of series to try:

Kelly Gay's Charlie Madigan series. http://www.kellygay.com/

Richelle Mead's Dark Swan series.
http://www.richellemead.com/books/dar...

message 11: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks Well I started the first Night Huntress book last night after reading your comments. I just finished my second one this evening. Everyone was right , this is a great series. I love Bones , he reminds me a lot of Ethan from Chicagoland Vampires. I am going to finish this series and then try some of your other suggestions . Thanks so much.

message 12: by Randy (new)

Randy Kathy wrote: "I love to read urban fantasy and paranormal romance series. I have read many series and am at a loss for what to read now. I like some YA reads but am mostly into the adult genre right now. Some of..."

Looking at your read list I would go with the Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series. Then Karen Chance's Dorina Basarabs series.

message 13: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks The Night Huntress series was great. I have finished all of them . I couldn't put them down. So now it's only 1 day until the last one comes out. Thank you to everyone who made suggestions . I will start on another of the series you all suggested as soon as this last Night Huntress book comes out tomorrow. Thanks again.

message 14: by Gen (new)

Gen (gen454) You should try the Hunter Kiss series by Marjorie M. Liu.

The Iron Hunt (Hunter Kiss, #1) by Marjorie M. Liu Darkness Calls (Hunter Kiss, #2) by Marjorie M. Liu A Wild Light (Hunter Kiss, #3) by Marjorie M. Liu

message 15: by Julia (new)

Julia | 615 comments I'm seconding Kaitlin's rec of Sharp Teeth. It's one of the most interesting, unique werewolf books you're likely to encounter...

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I have just finished reading the Spellcrackers.com series (3 books so far) by Suzanne Mcleod, I couldn't put them down.

message 17: by carol. (new)

carol. Second the Retriever suggestion. The first book was fantastic.

message 18: by Tenoko1 (new)

Tenoko1 Nevermore by Kelly Creagh Nevermore I just read this the other day and enjoyed it immensely, and recommend it to everyone. ^_^

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman Neverwhere is also one of my favorite books with some of the most AMAZING characters ever. Marquis is my favorite.

message 19: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (kyahgirl) I know someone put a link to C.E. Murphy. I highly recommend her Negotiator Trilogy. I liked it much more than the Walker paper series.

Have you read the Kate Daniels series? (Ilona Andrews)
Marjorie Liu's Dirk and Steele series is pretty good.

message 20: by Ronda (new)

Ronda (thebookdragon) Just finished Grave Witch. Looking forward to the next one.

message 21: by Kathyjacks (new)

Kathyjacks Laura wrote: "I know someone put a link to C.E. Murphy. I highly recommend her Negotiator Trilogy. I liked it much more than the Walker paper series.

Have you read the Kate Daniels series? (Ilona Andrews)
M..."

Thanks Laura. Yes I have read the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews and LOVED it. Can't get enough of Kate and Curran's relationship. I tend to like the love/ hate relationships like that. I think that's why i liked the Night Huntress series so much as well.

message 22: by Laura (Kyahgirl) (new)

Laura (Kyahgirl) (kyahgirl) sorry Kathy, I must have selective vision. I thought I didn't see Kate Daniels in your list but now I do! what a goof.
I love the night huntress series too, although it took me a while to really get into it.

message 24: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 18 comments I'm reading an exciting book I can hardly put it down Shadows of Myth by Rachel Lee i don't know it any of you have read it but you really should give a try. I love this book. Shadows Of Myth

Christen (GoldiloxReads) | 36 comments I thought of another series that I don't think is mentioned here... Pleasure Unbound (Demonica, #1) by Larissa Ione . I am three books into this five book series and this series is FABULOUS! Definitely paranormal romance, which I am usually kind of picky about. This series is very original in my opinion and the romance aspect...whew!... I think the thing I love about this series compared to the PNR series I don't like is that the women are awesome. They are not whiney or silly, they are a great asset to the story without being aggressive in an unbelievable way!