Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > Is it Clean?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 224 (224 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments Can anyone, who has read Mrs. Mike by Benedict Freedman, tell me if it is clean? Give me a movie type rating and explanation. Thanks bunches.

message 2: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments Hi Rachel,

I think Mrs. Mike is PG. I don't remember any sex or language. There is some violence but it's not too graphic and it's integral to the story.

So maybe actually PG 13 for the violence. It wasn't disturbing to me. I really liked the book and think it's well worth reading.

Anyone else read it? What did you think?

message 3: by MaryBliss (new)

MaryBliss | 58 comments I read it and thought it was memorable in a good way. It is an account of love, courage and dedication in the face of serious hardships and loss.

No sex. Clean language. I think it would be acceptable reading for ages 13 and up.

The deaths and injuries of loved ones and neighbors and strangers (due to the difficult circumstances of living in northern Canada around 1900) are described but not graphically. If they were portrayed on screen they would be something I would not take children too, but just because of the seriousness and sadness involved, not because of any inherent offensiveness.

It's a book that says "Life is hard but love is strong."

message 4: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (whitepicketfence) | 100 comments Beth, Mary, Tami--THANKS for your help and great insights! I do see some red flags as I am VERY squeamish and it sounds like some parts may be a bit too rugged for me.

message 5: by benebean (new)

benebean | 13 comments Does anyone know the equivalent movie rating for Here be Dragons? I'm not super super picky-- like it's ok if racey stuff happens as long as I don't have to read graphic descriptions of it, and whatever descriptions there are, are easily skipped.

message 6: by Janet (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
I am new here and so happy to have found this group. I usually check 5-6 books out at the library to find 1-2 to finish. I have already cancelled my hold on Water For Elephants due to comments I have read from this group. I am curious to know if anyone has read Black Swan Green by David Mitchell? What about Olive Kitteridge by Strout? I am currently reading some classics, The Screwtape Letters, The Mill on the Floss because I have struggled so much with blind choices. But I did find a great one in the youth section that I recommend for everyone-The Best Bad Luck I Ever Had.

message 7: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments Has anyone read The Hundred Secret Senses by Amy Tan. I've just started reading it but i have come across some sexual references and foul language. I'm wondering if anyone has read the whole book and how they would rate it. Thanxs.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark (nizhmuth) My sister read the Amy Tan book and can't remember anything bad in it—but that was a long time ago, she says (so don't blame me if there is!) She did say it was one of her favorite Amy Tan books, though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

message 9: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments I read The Hundred Secret Senses, but it's been a while. I gave it three stars and noted on my review that there was occasional foul language which probably means rated R type language.

message 10: by Steen (new)

Steen (steensteen) I read another Amy Tan book. I really enjoyed it, but I definitely wouldn't call it clean, per se. No graphic sex scenes, but she doesn't write for sensitive people...I've never read that book, but I'd guess from what I've seen, it has language and sexual references.

message 11: by Mark (new)

Mark (nizhmuth) Any ideas on how foul the language or what kind of sexual references? About the latter, are they crude, openly revealing or anything like that?

message 12: by Steen (new)

Steen (steensteen) The sexual references were in some places crude, but some places, it was just obvious that people had had or were about to have sex.
As for language...I couldn't honestly say. I know she used the d-word a lot, but I wouldn't know about the f-bomb...I tend to try to forget that kind of stuff. :/

message 13: by Katherine (new)

Katherine | 6 comments Someone I work out with just published a clean book. It is "Witch Song" by Amber Argyle. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but she says it is a clean YA fantasy with a bit of romance.

message 14: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments Does anybody know if Oblivion by Peter Abrahmams is a clean read

message 15: by Elena (new)

Elena | 87 comments Hi,
Does anyone know if the new "Madame Tussaud" book is clean? Thanks!

message 16: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariethebooklover) Has anyone read the book "Timeless" by Alexandra Monir? I would like to read it, but I don't know if it's clean or not.

Also, "Tomorrow When the War Began" by John Marsden and its sequels? I want to read that too, but again, I don't know about the content. It wouls be awesome if someone could tell me. :)

message 17: by joy (last edited Jun 02, 2011 07:45PM) (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments Marie wrote: "Has anyone read the book "Timeless" by Alexandra Monir? I would like to read it, but I don't know if it's clean or not.

pretty sure that one is totally clean. no language, sex, drug use, etc.

message 18: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments Mormonhermitmom wrote: "Has anyone read "Belle" by Cameron Dokey or "Winter's Child" also by Dokey? How about Midnight Pearls by Debbie Vigiuie? My daughter wants to read them but I want to make sure they are appropriate."

i've not read either of those specifically, but the cameron dokey fairy tale adaptations i have read have all been completely PG -- some peril, and maybe a kiss. correct me if i'm wrong, fellow cleanreaders, but the "once upon a time" series is fairly safe content-wise, right? that's been my experience.

message 19: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments benebean wrote: "Does anyone know the equivalent movie rating for Here be Dragons? I'm not super super picky-- like it's ok if racey stuff happens as long as I don't have to read graphic descriptions..."

it's been awhile here, so i hope this is still helpful. SKP's medieval fiction stays well within the pg13 range. some era-appropriate curses, some sexual references, some violence. nothing explicit, and no scenes to skip. i LOVE her works, and medieval wales particularly. i'd highly recommend it.

message 20: by MaryBliss (new)

MaryBliss | 58 comments Mormonhermitmom wrote: "Has anyone read "Belle" by Cameron Dokey or "Winter's Child" also by Dokey? How about Midnight Pearls by Debbie Vigiuie? My daughter wants to read them but I want to make sure they are appropriate."

I've read "Belle". It's fine. I've read a number of Dokey's "Once Upon a Time" books, of which this is one, and and they've all been clean reads.

Viguie is one of the other authors who write for this series. I haven't read all of them, but from the ones I've read, I wouldn't be concerned.

message 21: by Lanetta (new)

Lanetta | 34 comments I have read all the once upon a time books (well almost alll, I haven't read the ones the library doesn't own) and they are clean. I think they are good reads for kids 10 and older. Under 10 the reading level would be to high. I don't remember reading anything that offended, I do know that they are very much bubblegum books...great fluffy reads but not much to get you thinking or talking about.

message 22: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela4444) | 10 comments Mrs. Mike is absolutely excellent... and after you read it, and if you're addicted, then, to Northern regions books, read TISHA and Polar Dream!!!

message 23: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela4444) | 10 comments I LOVE Alexander Mccall Smith books, they are clean and written with a lot of warmth. I love his sense of humor. I'm very picky about novels, I mostly read nonfiction, but I love AMS, all of it. And there's a lot.
Any other AMS fans?

message 24: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments Pamela, I love his The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series. So good!

Which of his books would you recommend I read next?

message 25: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn Willis (marilynsmuses) | 15 comments I read this book when I was 25, then again when I was 70. Interesting the different perspective you get at different ages from this book. I loved it both times.

message 26: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela4444) | 10 comments I recommend his Sunday PHilosophy Club series... and oddly, it's better if you begin in the middle and then go backwards or forwards, since the characters are more developed (and more fun) in the middle. If you begin at the beginning the series might bore you, and we wouldn't want you to give up on it, it's GOOD.

message 27: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela4444) | 10 comments Hey Janet,
Do you like nonfiction? I have a lot of suggestions about clean memoirs, etc.

message 28: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments Pamela, it does look really good! I'm not sure I can start in the middle, though. I think I'm a bit too compulsive. But I will keep reading, knowing it gets better.

Also... I like memoirs. I'd love some suggestions!

message 29: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments does anyone know of Peaches by Jodi Lynn Anderson is clean?

message 30: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments I just bought a book called In the Arms of Stone Angels by Jordan Dane and I was so excited to read it until I got home and looked at some reviews here on Goodreads and some people were saying how there`s a lot of teen sex and cutting and how the authour was acting like it was nothing, and she didn`t go into their emotions behind it. That sucks! It definately had an alluring plotline.

message 31: by Gabriella (new)

Gabriella (stardust_126) | 130 comments Does anyone know if The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly and Audrey`s Door by Sarah Langan are clean?

message 32: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (pamela4444) | 10 comments Beth A, Look at these GREAT GREAT memoirs(all clean)
Beyond Mud & Vines/Jorgensen
Cross and Switchblade/Wilkerson
Meeting God Behind Enemy Lines/Watkins
Sealed Orders/Sanford
The Story of My Life/Ahmedi
My Ride to a New Life/Sicard
Wesley the Owl/O'Brien
....these are the best. I'm very picky. You should try all of these:)

message 33: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (bethalm) | 67 comments Thanks Pamela, some of them look really good. I added them to my TBR list.

message 34: by Kate (new)

Kate | 4 comments Has anyone read Meg Cabot? She has two books in the giveaways and I was wondering if they were clean. The Abandon and Insatiable series. Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a search for her name in the archives and came up with nothing.

Thank you!

message 35: by Lanetta (new)

Lanetta | 34 comments I have not read those books by Meg Cabot but I have read the Princess Diaries and did NOT like them..and would not want anyone else to read them.... My friends have told me that her other books are good and I should give them a chance...I just can't seem to read them after having to stop with Princess Diaries...

message 36: by Melody (new)

Melody Savage | 15 comments Kate wrote: "Has anyone read Meg Cabot? She has two books in the giveaways and I was wondering if they were clean. The Abandon and Insatiable series. Sorry if this has been addressed before. I did a search for..."

I am reading The Mediator right now, the first in a series by Meg Cabot. I'm not finished with it yet (maybe 50 more pages). So far, she is PGish - there is a lot of taking the Lord's name in vain, a sprinkling of strong language (the B word a few times), some mild innuendo, some oblique references to drug use, and some violence, including suicide. So far, no teen sex, no intimate scenes, no condoning of harmful behaviors. I have been debating whether or not to shelve it on my "wholesome teen reads" shelf or not. There are some positive messages about suicide and personal responsibility, life and death, and change, along with a light, easy touch in the tone of the writing and an interesting premise. Does that help you?

message 37: by Marie (new)

Marie (mariethebooklover) For details on Meg Cabot's Airhead series and a few of her other novels you can check out this site:

https://sites.google.com/site/parenta...

message 38: by Kate (new)

Kate | 4 comments Thank you so much Lanetta, Melody and Marie! Very helpful :-)

message 39: by Kaylynn (new)

Kaylynn | 4 comments I was wondering about the book The Girl who disappered twice by Andrea Kane. Does anyone know if it is clean. Thanks

message 40: by Janet (new)

Janet | 50 comments Mod
Pamela wrote: "Hey Janet,
Do you like nonfiction? I have a lot of suggestions about clean memoirs, etc."

Pamela-no, I usually prefer fiction. I don't have anything against nonfiction, but the bulk of my reading is for entertainment, so it's usually fiction. For the uplifting stuff I usually go to scriptures and church books. But, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in looking at your list. What true bibliophile turns down a good book recommendation?

message 41: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 75 comments Hey friends. I found a discussion on the goodreads feed about Hunger Games and other dystopian novels. I loved Hunger Games et al, and would love to read other similar books, and am looking for clean suggestions from y'all in that genre.

Lots of people mentioned Divergent by Veronica Roth. Anyone know if it's clean?

Thank you, thank you!

message 42: by joy (last edited Jun 24, 2011 08:25AM) (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments yep. Divergent is awesome. i read it last week, and am actually re-reading it now.

it is less violent than HG, and otherwise quite clean. very little profanity, if any. a couple smooches. one character appears drunk once. let's see... nothing else that i can remember.

the biggest problem with divergent is that the sequel is not available yet!

message 43: by Melody (last edited Jun 24, 2011 08:27AM) (new)

Melody Savage | 15 comments Tracy wrote: "Hey friends. I found a discussion on the goodreads feed about Hunger Games and other dystopian novels. I loved Hunger Games et al, and would love to read other similar books, and am looking for cle..."

Check out this link to see an in-depth review of the language, sex, violence, and language in Divergent by Veronica Roth.

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-...

Apparently, Suzanne Collins is touting a dystopian YA fiction due to be released in September called The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch. It has already been reviewed on Goodreads with a 3.69 star rating. That might be an option. I have not read it but found it reviewed on a YA librarian's web site with these ratings: Language-G (Swear Count: 0); Violence-PG; Sexual Content-G). Also heard the Maze Runner by James Dashner is good with a violence-PG rating (on the librarian's site). Have you tried the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield (there are 4)? Or Lois Lowry's The Giver trilogy? I have read both of those dystopian series and feel they are clean and have great food for thought and discussion. Hope you find something!

message 44: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments if you're on a dystopia kick, you could take a gander at the other books on my shelf. i always include a cleanreads rating in my reviews.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

i'm not totally positive that the link above will work.

message 45: by joy (new)

joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire* (joytotheworld) | 98 comments Melody wrote: "Also heard the Maze Runner by James Dashner is good with a violence-PG rating (on the librarian's site"

the maze runner was quite brutal and violent, imo. definitely well into the pg13 range. probably on par with the hunger games, but it felt harsher to me.

message 46: by Melody (new)

Melody Savage | 15 comments joy to the world wrote: "Melody wrote: "Also heard the Maze Runner by James Dashner is good with a violence-PG rating (on the librarian's site"

the maze runner was quite brutal and violent, imo. definitely well into the ..."

Thanks for the heads up on Maze Runner. Think I will take it off my to-read shelf. Hunger Games was too much for me.

message 47: by Lori Lynn (new)

Lori Lynn Tucker (lorilynntucker) Has anyone read A Weekend with Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly? I read the summary and it looked like it could go really good or bad. I love Jane Austen, so I was really drawn to the title, but don't want to read it if it is inappropriate. Thanks for any feedback!
A Weekend with Mr. Darcy

message 48: by MaryBliss (new)

MaryBliss | 58 comments Lori wrote: "Has anyone read A Weekend with Mr. Darcy by Victoria Connelly? I read the summary and it looked like it could go really good or bad. I love Jane Austen, so I was really drawn to the title, but don'..."

I haven't read it, but just a heads up, one of the reviewers on Goodreads wrote this about it:

"It also wasn't anything like as "clean and nice" as my mother had implied when she'd handed me the book and said I had to read it. I refuse to believe that real people actually behave in such an immoral and licentious manner as those portrayed here. All quite idiotic, frankly."

message 49: by Erin (new)

Erin | 14 comments If you're looking for a good Austen-esque read, I highly recommend the Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman series by Pamela Aidan. There are 3 books, beginning with An Assembly Such As This, and tell the Pride and Prejudice story from Mr. Darcy's point of view. I loved them! They're very clean and true to the original story.

message 50: by Thalia (new)

Thalia (thaliaanderson) Does anybody know about Sarah Dessen? I appreciated that Dreamland didn't at all ever go into detail about any sex (just a simple, "we had it", but I easily forgot about it by the end of the story), but I'm curious about This Lullaby.

« previous 1 3 4 5