Start by marking “The Elite (The Selection, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Elite (The Selection, #2)

The Elite

(The Selection #2)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  467,273 ratings  ·  30,624 reviews
The Selection began with thirty-five girls. Now with the group narrowed down to the six Elite, the competition to win Prince Maxon's heart is fiercer than ever—and America is still struggling to decide where her heart truly lies. Is it with Maxon, who could make her life a fairy tale? Or with her first love, Aspen?

America is desperate for more time. But the rest of the Eli
Published April 23rd 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Elite, please sign up.
Sparkles I agree, she's ridiculously stupid and Cass is trying to portray her as smart and talented. D: I hope she gets better in the next book.
(I dont even th…more
(I dont even think she was this annoying in The Selection)(less)
Chloe Something about Aspen is still off. I don't trust him. Does anyone agree?…moreSomething about Aspen is still off. I don't trust him. Does anyone agree?(less)
Allegiant by Veronica RothClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareRequiem by Lauren OliverThe Indigo Spell by Richelle MeadThe Elite by Kiera Cass
YA Novels of 2013
1,573 books — 11,015 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
1,552 books — 11,273 voters

More lists with this book...

·  467,273 ratings  ·  30,624 reviews

Start your review of The Elite (The Selection, #2)
Eve
Jun 05, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
So, you see my rating, and you're probably like, ONE STAR? And my answer is yes, one star. I spent a good hour thinking about a reason, any reason to rate it two, but I can't. This was just one books of those books that was not my cup of tea. Which, by the way, is extremely disappointing, considering that I really did like the first book. *sigh*

I don't like to bash books and insult the author, but I will say why I did give it such a low rating, in a hopefully non-rude way.

*My Opinion. Just
Mitch
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
For what it's worth, I actually liked The Selection. Sure, it suffered from a major bout of shoddy world building and desperately needed a plot beyond just the game show slash dating elements, but if I had to blurb it, I'd go with something like this: "Frivolous and silly, The Selection is nonetheless an enjoyable timekiller with its Bachelor-like elements and inability to take itself too seriously."

The Elite on the other hand... ugh how do I even begin to describe this mess? Let's see...

America
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
This series is like junk food.

I know it's not good for me.

I'm not even sure I'm enjoying it....

But I can't stop!
Victoria
Apr 23, 2013 rated it did not like it
All right, boys and girls, I’m back for round two. A year late, but I’ll try to get to The One right after this.

In my review of The Selection, I already covered the larger issues this series has. I’m just going to go through this book roughly chronologically and list all the places I eyerolled so hard I saw my brain. Sometimes, I grew extra eyes just so I could side-eye this book some more.

(ETA: This list will continue to grow as I complete my reread)

1. REBELS. Seriously, palace people. GET SOM
Maria
Aug 01, 2018 rated it liked it
2.8/5 Stars ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

“Love is beautiful fear”

Guys. Where do I begin? This book was such a disappointment, compared to its predecessor. Don't get me wrong, I flew through it in a couple of hours. Right now, as I'm writing this review, I have read The One and I know who America ends up with, how the book ends, everything. These books are so addicting and such a guilty pleasure, I want to scream. Kiera Cass is not a good writer, but her books captivate you. I still want to throw this fucking book a
Miranda Reads
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
description

It turns out I'm absolutely terrible at staying away from you. It's a very serious problem.
Tears! Love-triangles! More tears! Whining! Even more tears! Annnd....honestly, that's pretty much it

(Could we make it one chapter without her dissolving into tears? No? Fabulous. )

Picking up where we left off, America is in the "Elite" (the top 6 of the Selection - aka the Bachelor/Princess Diaries mashup).

She's joined by Celeste (the B*tch), Marley (the best friend), and three other totally forge
jessica
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
hello, my name is jessica and im addicted to this series.

goodness, these books are like drugs. i know theyre bad for me, but i cant seem to stop. reading. them. its the drama. its way too addicting.

also, i seem to be the only person who likes aspen. i think i suffer from “hooked on the first boy introduced” syndrome, because it happened with adam in ‘shatter me’ and gale in ‘the hunger games.’ what a random observation. lol.

anyways, these books are like crack.

4 stars
Stacia
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Selection by Kiera Cass

7-1-2012: 3:48 PM. Yay! It has a name! I'm so excited for this book!

8-7-2012: 4:19 PM. Why does this have likes?! Haha. I can't wait for the cover! I heard Cass has seen it!

Of course, I'd prefer to have a male on the cover. Not JUST a male, maybe a well-dressed Maxon (with his face concealed [I hate when publishers put non-concealed faces... It makes me feel like I have to picture the characters like on the covers]) with America in his arms.

Or maybe the Elite girls in pretty dresse
Jessie
Warning: Mild Spoilers Ahead. Do not read if you don't want to be spoiled. Please read at your own risk.

Actual rating: 2.5 stars

This is not a dystopian, This is a book centered on a love triangle.

Believe it or not, I did like The Selection, but this book, unfortunately, did not live up to its predecessor. The reason why I enjoyed The Selection so much was because of the similarities to the TV show The Bachelor(which I watch, occasionally). I personally think adapting the competition into a book
Christine Riccio
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I raced through this book because I love the concept and where the story seems to be heading, but OH MY GOODNESS America was so frustrating. I discuss the whole thing in depth in my booktalk here: http://youtu.be/m7UHt8a4G9g ...more
emma
sweet holy lord. this goddamn book, my guy.

The pitch for this reanimated corpse of a sequel must have been like, "Ok, so it's global bestseller The Selection, except immediately THROW AWAY any traces of entertainment or cuteness or fun. We don't need it. Oh, more? Okay. Um. Keep the love triangle stuff. Actually, you know what? Make that TWO love triangles. Fangirls love that, probably, based on my semi-offensive one-dimensional view of the average YA reader, who is only in it for fictional depi
Natalie Monroe
"My feelings about Maxon. Maxon's feelings about me. Whatever was going on between Aspen and me. And my feelings about actually becoming a princess."

That quote up there is all you need to know about The Elite.

It's genuinely painful to read. It's worse than The Selection because, for all its flaws, it was a debut. I'm willing to cut debuts a little slack. Sequels are when writers start finding their footing, both in terms of plot and writing.

Let's start with the first. Plot, what plot? It's
Sophie
This is what the first book did:

Photobucket

I don't know how Cass is going to stretch this into a trilogy. I honestly don't. Unless this has another beautiful cover I can't resist, I'm going to avoid this book like the plague.

Update 7/23
So... I finished this book. It was just as awful as the first, if not worse. It's worse in that it tries to develop a love triangle and makes a bad name for women everywhere. America decides to love whichever guy is in the room and then forget him the moment he leaves
Luffy
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Maybe I'm amazed at how the author managed to get me involved in the way it did. I'm happy to announce that the antidote to crack addiction has been found. It's this book because it's more addictive than the drug.

There were a lot of girly things and feelings in here where I zoned out, but this novel went straight to my heart, reminding me that I had never been in love in my teens. Based on that, I forgave a lot of America's antics.

The main heroine is not my favored character, even if I'm rooting
Nasty Lady MJ
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Nasty Lady MJ by: A Misogynist
Note: I kept the advisory review because the trolls loved it and I think anyone who is thinking of reading this book SHOULD read the warning first.

To see full review click here.

Disclaimer: Obviously, I do not own the Disney princesses. If I did I would be at Disney World right now living the dream instead of writing this during one of my very limited study breaks.

And now a word from the Disney Princesses...

We here at the Magic Kingdom full of princess want to make something clear to you, America
Maureen
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Why is this series so addictive. WHY?? America is so much more obnoxious, indecisive, and all around THE WORST in this book which makes it a 3 star, but the rest was pretty great.
I pretty much LOATHE the show The Bachelor, and this book felt a lot more like that than the first book, so that was not super great. If you like that kind of thing, THERES A LOT OF JEALOUSY TO GO AROUND SO HAVE FUN!
However, the overall story and worldbuilding is still pretty great, and I'm sure there will be something
Roxanne
OMFG IT FINALLY HAS A COVER!!!!

First off I must say that that is a stunning dress! Hmm which dress would you say is better?

Oh gosh, I can't choose! There both so pretty! Although I do like the red colour more.

Now on to the real thing I want to talk about. I'm so freaking excited for this book! I really loved the first one, in fact I loved it so much that I read it while I was at an amusement park. In fact I was so sucked in that I started reading it in the line-ups and I kept wanting to read it
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
I cannot wait to get the final book tomorrow AHHH.
I really have fallen in love with this series although it sometimes frustrates the crap out of me how stupid America can be and the damn love triangle. I just can't help it.
Claudia Ramírez
I loved this book so much. I read it in just one day! I couldn't put it down! I love Maxon so much <3. ...more
Tomoe Hotaru
24 Apr. '13
Bad news: I didn't like it
Good news: I finished it in one day to relieve me of my boredom at work
Better news: I liked it more than The Selection. Or maybe that's simply because I knew what to expect, so my hopes weren't high to begin with?

Still want that tiara.

I've full on ranted discussed about characterization in my review of the first book, and since the special cookie that is America still suffers from the same problems, I won't be going into characterization in this review. I
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ
4.75 Absolutely Delightful ★'s

“You know that you’ve found something amazing, and you want to hold on to it forever; and every second after you have it, you fear the moment you might lose it.”

“Sometimes I feel like we're a knot, too tangled to be taken apart.”

Buddy read with my, girl Desireé :)

Reread for me :)

The Selection started out with 35 girls it's now down to just 6 of them - The Elite.

Oh. My. Goodness! My face hurts from smiling so damn much. This was a fantastic second instal
Zoë
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
I flew through this book in less than 24 hours, taking me out of my pitiful reading slump!
Even though I enjoyed reading this book, it was frustrating at times. I found myself annoyed at how America was acting and how her relationships with Maxon and Aspen played out. I felt like we were stuck in a cycle of America's erratic behavior and overcritical thoughts towards Maxon. Also, I am seriously wondering why Aspen is still there because I don't see any passion between them like I do with Maxon. I
Pang ((♥ Book Paradise ♥))
Reading this book felt like Gossip Girl on royal caste. lol!

The Elite has many things, drama, dark secrets, intense competition, betrayal, treason, and annoying girls issue..

Firstly, I started reading this book with fun. The Halloween party! and Maxon is so sweet as usual! *dream up* description

descriptiondescription

Later on... everything started to roll down the hill. description

Every. Main. Characters. change from the first one.

It’s so hard to decide who the boy I want America to end up with. I’m team Maxon since the first one but in t
• Lindsey Dahling •
I don’t know how the hell to rate this. I keep going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars.

America was terrible the entire book. She’s highly insecure and irrational and makes the dumbest choices based on made up situations, which honestly, same, but SHE SHOULD AT LEAST RECOGNIZE THAT SHE IS DUMB.

It’s also annoying that any time Maxon even looked at her wrong, she immediately ran into Aspen’s arms. And yet, she can’t stand that Maxon is dating the other girls. Like....what.

Girl caught a case of
Ivana
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
GRRR! 2013?!
*turns off caps lock*
omg, can't wait!
EDIT:
Wow, America. Did you seriously... woooow.
I waited almost a full year for this book and you just went ahead and acted like Bella. Stringing around these two boys when it's achingly obvious who you're going to pick. I feel like every book is a Twilight despite
Jeff
I told you America.......those vipers who can wear 7-inch heels are deadly.

Honestly, who cares if it's only down to six girls now??!! They're still vipers. They can still walk on crazy heels without breaking their feet. They're still WOMEN WHO WILL CHALLENGE YOU TO A CAT-FIGHT.

Now you guys see how dangerous and how awesome this book is.
America still fights with herself and others for Maxon, but honestly, she still doesn't even know where her fricking heart lies. So, I mean, to pile on deadly gi
Layla
~ 1 star ~

This book was really, very, absolutely, immensely, excruciatingly, annoyingly, excessively bad. But it was short enough, and uncomplicated enough, for me to keep it at a solid 1 star rating. Plus I finished it in less than a day. Greatly due to the fact that I skimmed the entire thing, because of how uninterested I was in America's petty drama.

What I hated:

Girl Hate:Just no. I don't understand this. It was unnecessary, and this shouldn't exist. The only girl that really had a personal
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Elite (The Selection #2), Kiera Cass

The Elite is the second novel in the best-selling Selection series by Kiera Cass. It is narrated by America Singer, a 17-year-old girl who is selected to compete with 34 other girls to become Prince Maxon's wife and become queen. The Elite tells the story at the stage in the competition where there are only six girls left and tensions are high from both the competition and the dangerous rebels.

تاریخ نخستین خوانش: روز پنجم ماه ژانویه سال 2016میلادی

عنوان: بر
Charlotte
Jun 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
Miserable. On to the next book!
2021 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Elite (The Selection #2) 18 28 Dec 07, 2020 06:29AM
Thoughts after "The Elite": Team Maxon or Team Aspen? 841 1689 Nov 25, 2020 09:17AM
Selection Discussion: Book 2 6 14 Aug 23, 2020 08:05AM
Am I the only person upset about the Kriss situation? 39 783 Aug 13, 2020 07:22AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Elite (The Selection #2) by Kiera Cass - Restarting June 22nd 2020 318 389 Jul 01, 2020 04:51PM
Dumbledore's *Rea...: June 2020 Series- The Elite 12 26 Jun 04, 2020 09:30AM
Bookalicious Book...: The Elite 2 5 May 13, 2020 06:22PM

• Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Insurgent (Divergent, #2)
  • King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
100 Things I Love:

Being married. Cake. The smell of Autumn. Motherhood. Books. Elephants. Back rubs. On demand movies. Actually going out to movies. Faith. Cinnamon rolls. My family. Butterflies. When my kitchen is clean. Crayons. Pink. Tote bags. Dancing. Organizing via color coordination. That my wedding dress was tea length, not floor. Baking. My house. Writing utensils. Paper. India. The sound

The Selection (5 books)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • The Heir (The Selection, #4)
  • The Crown (The Selection, #5)