Shadowfever (Fever, #5) Shadowfever discussion

I've Read It, Now I Want to Talk About It

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Ruby Such a highly anticipated book is going to receive as many reactions to it as it has had readers. I was one reader who didn't love the final installment in the Fever series. What did you guys think and why?

message 2: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery Ruby, I know this is waaaay late, but you should check out the "Fever Water Cooler" group on here. They reread the whole series to get ready for Shadowfever and there are lots of discussions about the last book:-)

Ruby Okay, I will. Thanks. I've been hesitant to join a Fever-based group because I was afraid I'd get overwhelmed.

message 4: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery With messages? You can change your settings to only get a weekly digest or the messages or none at all:-)

They did the discussion threads by book/character/and some are marked spoiler-free. There's no pressure there:-)

message 5: by Kate (last edited Mar 25, 2011 05:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate LOVED this series! I joined the author's web site, where we tossed around our guesses to this final book in the series. It was a lot of fun hanging out there.

I was surprised how much I enjoyed this series! The first book was a free one offered for my Nook, by B&N, so I downloaded it. What a pleasant surprise! A little racy, in one of the books, can't remember which one, but it was a fun, exciting read. I love Barons!!!!

Johnna I was not as happy with this book even though it answered a lot of questions in the series. It was so not my favorite. It felt rushed and a little disconnected. I felt like the author was just going along and trying to tie up all the loose ends and answer all the questions we had before the end. just felt kind of contrived or something. Like she was checking off items in a list. "where does Barrons sleep? check."

Jenn Jacobo I loved this series, one of my favorite.

Tiffaney I enjoyed the book. I was very suprised as to how well everything turned out.

message 9: by Cathy (new) - added it

Cathy I liked the series, had high expectations for this one and I felt disappointed. It closed everything up from the first in the series but then why do I feel like I missed something? It just didn't have the life or the feel of the rest of the series.

message 10: by Nicola (last edited Apr 11, 2011 11:27PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Nicola Sheridan Yes, I agree. I love KMM as an author, she's written some of the best books ever, but this one left me feeling flat.

I think it was to do with Mac's mental turmoil for me. I wasn't comfortable with it, and I felt there was too much emphasis put on things that were happening in her head. There was also a general darkness about everything in the novel that simply wasn't there in the preceeding books.

Still, the Fever series will remain my favourite series of all time. Barrons is its saving grace. Any novel with him in it, is one I want to read!

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee see, I'm the complete opposite, I loved this one, but it was definately a lot darker than the others...but I think with everything that happened at the end of book 3 and into book 4, that that would be expected...

Arielka Love this series!! The books are so good and unique!!
Totally love the end (could have been better) but it was real good!

Stormy i enjoyed this book. i felt like the ending was a bit weird like she was hurried or something other than that i am happy about the outcome.

Daiane I love the fae series. Im sad is over Im not ready to let Jericho go :(
I'm planning to read her other series which I heard is really good as well.

Johnna I agree with you Stormy

message 16: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee she apparently has a contract to write at least another three books in the fever world...not sure if they are going to be UF or PNR...there was some discussion over who they would feature...personally, I think Christian, Dani and Ryodan...she also said at the shadowfever launch party that the title of the new book is hidden somewhere in shadowfever

message 17: by Suz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Suz Hated it, and now I dislike the author intensely. At the beginning of the Fever series she promised a story that was contained in five books. During the Fever series she promised that all the questions would be answered by the last book and encouraged us to just suck it up with those heinously manipulative, intended to sell more books, cliff hangers. Then at the end we get...two spin offs (story not contained in five books), new questions and non-answers like "no one will ever know what exactly Barrons and his men are."

I feel like I spent five years trusting someone who abused my trust to earn a buck, or sold out her patrons to her publisher.

I will never read another Karen Moning book unless someone else tells me it's self contained, or the series is finished so I don't have to deal with a cliff hanger. And no, I will never, ever, ever spend another penny on any Karen Moning book. Ever.

Shelly I enjoyed the last book and the series is my favorite. I don't feel Moning held back at all. Many authors feel like they are saying goodbye to the characters that they've lived with so long that it ruins the final book. I didn't feel that with this series. The cliffhangers actually added to the series for me. They kept me interested.

message 19: by A (new) - rated it 5 stars

A Shelly wrote: "I enjoyed the last book and the series is my favorite. I don't feel Moning held back at all. Many authors feel like they are saying goodbye to the characters that they've lived with so long that ..."

Totally
and i really want to read the spin offs
the series ended but it felt like it was just the beginning even tho it was 2books long
wow i miss Barrons already

Johnna I love the series overall and will definately read the spinoffs, even though the last book wasnt my fave.

Crystal I just finished Shadowfever last night and I really enjoyed it. I actually started this series for the first time just 3 weeks ago so I wasnt stuck with the cliffhangers, waiting for the next in the series to come out. I liked how KMM finished the story. I'll admit some of the dialogue going on in Mac's head was a bit overkill and maybe after a second read it may make more sense or grow on me but overall I really enjoyed this series and would recommend it to anyone. Plus a little bit of Barrons goes a long way ;)

Melissa Oh yesssss...Barrons is hott!

Katinki I enjoyed the series, but admittedly, the last book was my least favorite. It certainly answered a lot of questions, but a few things were just a little too conveniently tied up. And there were a few things, specifically in that last book, that she didn't convince me of in her world. Also, the UST was... lacking. But it's still a very entertaining series. :)

Syahira I love the book. I was impressed by the end of the chapter. KMM did hint its not the end of Mac.

But all of it tied up very well. But I wish KMM continued with her highlander (MacKeltars) series with Christian.

Elayne who was McCabe?

message 26: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee was he one of the gangsters? or the cop?

Elayne he wasn't the cop..but he was in a white suit in Ryo's club and when everything went still Mac could see him and he smiled at her..I couldn't remember him, without giving too much away...he was one of "the" parts of a certain person

Lolita I loved these books! It was my favorite. Though I can see how the cliffhangers between books were very annoying. If I had to pick a least favorive it'd be Dreamfever because the cliffhanger was the worst. In fact I threw most of the books across the room when I got to the endings, except the last. Totally didn't expect the V'lane revelation.

Elayne me too!

Georgiana I don't know how to search the other Fever series discussions for this concept so I'll just ask here. If you know of somewhere else where it's discussed, please let me know.

Is anyone bothered by the fact that Barrons admits to killing a woman right after bringing her to his 'lair' for sex? Perhaps that woman had a sister who loved her too? I just didn't get the gratuitous murder confession.

Magda I thought Shadowfever was the best out of the five.
I love Barrons although we still don't know what he is/how he got that way.
Someone did state that KMM will write a spin-off of this series, but the main characters haven't been divulged.
I would love to read a Dani series.

Syahira I guess its no longer a secret that Barrons is an immortal. But whatever he did, he didn't do it without a purpose and usually it was about dark fae. Not justifying anything but he is an already dark character from the first and he didnt have any qualms to hide it.

Magda Yes, but I would still like the story behind his becoming an immortal.

Sarah Elder Stormy wrote: "i enjoyed this book. i felt like the ending was a bit weird like she was hurried or something other than that i am happy about the outcome."

I agree with you about the ending being rushed...it was like all this stuff happening thru the whole book and then...bam. happy ending.

Syahira Sarah wrote: "Stormy wrote: "i enjoyed this book. i felt like the ending was a bit weird like she was hurried or something other than that i am happy about the outcome."

I agree with you about the ending bein..."

Sorry if you guys felt that way since I've been reading the fever series from the first book since 2006. Plus, waiting for THIS book takes me a whole year and a half waiting for it. I'm so glad that it did end though. Can't wait for the continuations for the rest of the characters.

BTW, Karen is making an extra chapter from Barrons POV --> vote to keep barrons winning! http://vampirebookclub.net/alpha-show...

Lolita You know I really didn't like Dani. I get that she was young, but she really annoyed me. I don't think I'd enjoy a series about her unless it was at least 10 years older.

Magda Lolita, I loved Dani but agree she would need to be older .... because I would like her to be with Ryodan.

Maria Moreno Wow. First of all, I have to point out that KMM did something most authors try to do with their characters but almost never succceed: she made Mac grow the f UP. We see the development of her Mac 0.1 (stupid and happy) to the Mac 0.5 (fierce and driven and dark) and see actual change and maturement, and I actually felt proud of her at the beginning of the book.
But then, Mac makes a total regresion. Back to stupid, and what took her an ENORMOUS amount of time to figure out sort of... Vanishes from her head as she goes back to denial. That was the thing that bothered me the most.
All and all, I liked the book. The ending was kinda open, and she leaves Dani sort of floating there (so... we should be expecting a Dani sequel?) but the book is fun, and exciting and everything I expect from a book. (ps: I had 2 exams coming but didnt care.. I just stopped studying so I could read all of it!)

Elayne Barron's is not exactly immortal...K'Vruk?

Michielle Georgiana wrote: "I don't know how to search the other Fever series discussions for this concept so I'll just ask here. If you know of somewhere else where it's discussed, please let me know.

Is anyone bothered by..."

He does "confess" about what happened to that woman. But I'm not sure if it would be considered a spoiler in this thread since it is labeled "I've Read It, Now I Want to Talk About It". And there is no check box for spoiler alerts.

Email me and I will explain it. =)

Michielle As far as Barron's and the 8, they were born that way. Maybe the back story will be explained in the new series.

message 42: by Elayne (last edited Jun 03, 2011 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Elayne does anyone know what the "Z" stands for in Barron's name?

Lolita I didnt think they were born that way. I thought something happened to them in the desert, but I suppose that could have just been the first time they were killed and respawned. I want to know their story.

Georgiana I don't think they were born that way either. Without going back to look, I seem to remember Barrons thinking about some kind of change.

Michielle, I'm not sure what the question is with spoilers in my original post...I'm a little confused about what you're referring to. But, what did you or other posters think about the fact that he confessed to bringing a woman back to his lair for sex knowing he would 'have to kill her' (kind of a stupid reason). And then there's the fact that he was having sex with that other woman (Fiona?? can't remember names right now) and he didn't kill her. It just bothers me. Like I said before, I'm sure that murdered woman had a family too.

Michielle I thought his son killed the other woman (not sure if she had a name) when Barrons took her down to his lair to have sex. Maybe his main objective was to feed him. I'm not sure if Barrons ever took Fiona to his lair. They just had sex, and she knew "stuff" about him.

I also thought it was stated that Barron's son was born that way. But was stolen at a young age and killed, over and over. They were unable to find his place of "death" for a long time, that's why they were unable to help him through so many deaths/resurrections. Making him become unstable.

Georgiana I don't think so (and I'm pretty sure). As far as the murder, Barrons definitely did it. I remember b/c it really bothered me (obviously). And I believe the son was with him and his men when they were "changed". Now I'm gonna go back and check 'cause it will bother me not to be sure. ; )

Georgiana Ok, checked on the murder part. Barrons says:

"I brought her here."

" I made love to her."

"When I was done I killed her."

Michielle Elayne wrote: "does anyone know what the "Z" stands for in Barron's name?"

Z = Zigor, Basque for punished or punisher.

message 49: by Georgiana (last edited Jun 03, 2011 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Georgiana I re-read the part where Barrons is talking about his first experience of being reborn and I think it's fairly clear that something occurred in the desert to change him, his men and his son. He says things like:

I opened my eyes and everything was changed

It looks so different now that it's too late.

This is one battle-for-hire that I never should have taken.

And a bunch more stuff that indicates something happened (cue the Twilight Zone music).

Elayne Michielle wrote: "Elayne wrote: "does anyone know what the "Z" stands for in Barron's name?"

Z = Zigor, Basque for punished or punisher."

thanks for the answer..can't remember reading it!

« previous 1