Start by marking “Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)” as Want to Read:
Spell of the Highlander (Highlander, #7)

Spell of the Highlander (Highlander #7)

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  22,946 Ratings  ·  862 Reviews
It's taken him eleven centuries to find the right woman. He's not about to lose her now.

Jessi St. James has GOT to get a life. Too many hours studying ancient artifacts has given the archaeology student a bad case of sex on the brain. So she figures she must be dreaming when she spies a gorgeous half-naked man staring out at her from inside the glass of an ancient mirror.
Published August 28th 2007 by Dell (first published August 30th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Spell of the Highlander, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Tanya The war that is coming is continued on with the Fever series. Into the Dreaming is the last in this series.

Blacky *Romance Addict*
These books just keep getting better and better! I simply ADORED "Spell of the Highlander" Photobucket

For me, the most important thing while reading a book is to connect with the characters. You can add a storyline, a million storylines that will take your breath away, but if the characters are sh*t (pardon my expression) all the imagination in the world won't do for me. Well, as you'll figure it out, the characters in here were far from sh*t XD

In this novel, the story was in second place. It's about Cia
Sophia Triad
THE MAN IN THE MIRROR

Eleven centuries ago, Cian MacKeltar from our favorite and infamous MacKeltal family, was trapped inside the Dark Glass by a dark sorcerer who thought he was his friend.

In our century, Cian will discover Jessi.
Soon he will realize that Jessi is his:
-soul mate
-true love
-perfect match in heart, mind and body
Jessi is the one that Cian will exchange binding vows with and bind their souls together for all eternity.

Jessi St. James is a PhD archaeology student with no personal life
Dina
Feb 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love KMM's Highlander series - I haven't read the 1st 2 books yet but the other ones were all 5-star reads to me - so I was really anxious to see if this latest installment would live up to my high expectations. Well, I'm glad to say it was another winner. :)

On a Friday night, close to midnight, Jessica St. James, an overworked and exhausted Archeology graduate student at the University of Chicago, is asked by her advisor, who's just suffered a car accident, to go to his office and receive a p
Theresa
Jun 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, 2008
8/21: I'm halfway through the book and my patience is thinning. My problems with the book so far (w/o spoilers):

1) I understand Cian, the hero, is Scottish, but after 1,133 years in a mirror, wouldn't he have dropped the Scottish highlands way of saying things for more modern speech? For instance, would he still be saying "doona ken" instead of "do not know" after watching TV and reading books from his mirror for so many years?

2) Cian has so many superpowers that it is hard to keep track of the
Laura the Highland Hussy
Jun 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: highlander-books
Updated review:

A couple years ago, I discovered a fabulous author(Monica McCarty). When I finished with her books, I asked her who her "go-to" authors were. Monica's answer? Karen Marie Moning. Since my library only had this book by her, this is what I read. Wow, Cian is one hunky medieval male. I immediately returned this book and bought the whole series.

This book focuses on Cian MacKeltar, a 9th century druid who is trapped in a mirror..a mirror that is an Unseelie Hallow (a fae created relic
AH
Mar 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
There’s something to be said about a book that takes you off to faraway lands, lands where the men are breathtakingly beautiful and oh, so sexy. Spell of the Highlander is one such book. As I was reading, I felt myself getting lost in this world.

Cian has been imprisoned for 1,133 years in the Dark Mirror. The mirror is delivered to Chicago where Jessica St-James, an archaeology student accepts the delivery on behalf of her professor. From that point on, Jessica and Cian were hunted by Lucan Tre
Felicia
Dec 25, 2008 rated it it was ok
Ugh, I like this author's DarkFever books, but oooooo this kilted thing has GOT to stop! When do men EVER say "MINE" when having sex?!?! No man I would be involved in, that's fo' sho!
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness
4 Great one time read stars

Not shelved under Time Travel because time travel as such doesn't take place in this one as it does in the other book.The hero is just immortalized since the 9th century.

The whole story is based on the 21st century with a few couples reappearing from previous books in this series. :)

This series in Ratings so far:

#1 Beyond the Highland Mist - 5 Stars ! (Review=https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...)

#2 To Tame A Highland Warrior - 1 Star :( [The ONLY book in
♥  Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who loves a well hung highlander!
Recommended to ♥ Sam ♥ ~S2~Im made of awesomness by: Laura the Highland Hussy
Delicious, just delicious. I keep reading this series and each time I finish one I say that same thing – ‘OMG, this was sooo my favourite’ – and yep, you guessed it, I’m saying it again!

Because this book has been reviewed by many before me I won’t go into synopsis to deeply. But Ms Moning has created the epitome of dark, broody alpha Highlander who is tragically tormented by his stone prison in which he is entrapped to look out unto the real world through a looking glass. Our Master of Sorcery,
Wendy

To be truthful, I found the storyline to be on the same lines as the previous books. You know a heroine, that needs to get her "cherry picked", a hero that takes her back to Scotland to get away from the bad guys.

It did pick up for me halfway through the book, with Drustan and Dageus making their entrance in the story, which felt complete and far more entertaining!
Jamie *Gypsy Smut-a-teer*
"Excepting with you, Jessica. You, lass, are the exception to everything. I'm not just stuck with you. You fit me here, woman." He thumped his chest with his fist

Oh these sexy alpha Highlanders. They can be such arrogant arses when you first meet them but once they decide who their woman is then they turn into big huge possessive, sexy, sweet talking Neanderthals. Oh my gosh and since they are all from the past and have one way or another made it to our century can be quiet hilarious over the
Zeek
Although I know many love the entirety of Moning's Highlander series, I found them to be hit or miss. A frequent reread for me, Spell of the Highlander, the final in the series before the author took the series in a whole other direction, definitely falls in the "hit" category.

The story essentially begins when our heroine accepts a delivery for an unusual artifact while at work. Assisting a professor while working toward her PhD, Jessi St. James's curiosity gets the best of her- especially after
BJ Rose
Feb 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, series
I just had to give this a 5* because Drustan & Daegus & their wives played such big roles in this story. And I really liked the tale that slowly unfolds as to the how and why of Cian getting bespelled into the mirror. I also liked that Cian remained basically moral even after he'd done some dabbling in the Black Arts, AND after being held prisoner for 1,133 years. For some reason, I focused on how that number kept getting repeated at odd times in the story, almost like that would become ...more
P
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
ในทีสุดกกลับมาแนวยอนเวลาเบาสมองของโมนนิงอีกรอบ หลังจากดองหนังสือเลมนีมานานแลวไปหมกมุนอยูกับแนวพาราของแกวกานตกับเกรซ ฮีๆ

เจสซิกา นักศึกษาปริญญาเอกทำงานใหศาสตราจารยทีลาปวยและนันทำใหเธอพบกันกระจกเงาบานยักษทีถูกสงมาใหศาสตราจารยของเธอ แวบแรกทีเธอมองกระจก เธอเหนเงารางของหนุมรูปรางกำยำจนกระทังเธอจิตนาการไปไกลหาวาเขาคนนันเปนเทพแหงเซกสกันเลยทีเดียว เพียงแตเมือเจสซิกาเผชิญกับชายแปลกหนาทีจะมาแยงชิงกระจกและขูจะทำรายเธอ ผูชายคนนันทีอยูในกระจกกลับออกมาชวยเธอเสียนี หรือวา ! นีเธอเปนบาไปแลวเหรอ ไมสิ ! เธอตองกำลั
Cindy
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
You would think this series would have to be running out of Highlanders to marry, but they just keep coming. Now we learn of Cian from the 9th century who messed with forces he shouldn't have and was tricked into a magic mirror where he was used to keep a very bad sorcerer immortal. I am glad he wasn't too descriptive about all the bad things he had seen in his time. I like the idea that fate was involved in the theft of the mirror even though that isn't what occured. Someone is pulling the stri ...more
Sultan * Baby Mama Smut-a-teer*
Cain, Cain, Cain ... You sexy, arrogant, an rippling muscles of a man, nay of a highlander. Oooo what a sexy man to boot! KMM, I bow to you. You write some of the most deliciously amazing men and love stories, I have had the pleasure of reading and discovering. I wish they made men like this still. I could relate to Jessica in sooo many levels. For one I know the woes of having a rather large ...rack if you will. I, know how hard it is to find a good man and when you find said good man, you wrap ...more
Heather
Jul 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Apparently I have a reading sickness that can only be assuaged by reading a series of books about time traveling highlanders. They truly are ridiculous... And a great deal of fun to read with a good dose of steam thrown in for good measure. Better yet, you don't have to read them in any sort of order to make sense of them, so feel free to read which ever ones are available at the local library. Having said that, this installment marks the end of the series and having read Moning's fever series, ...more
Cheryl
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book!!! I just can't get enough of this series! Cian MacKeltar is exactly how I like my Highlander men: big, strong, drop-dead gorgeous and totally Alpha! This man was to-die-for and funny to boot! I couldn't get enough of him and this world that Karen Marie Moning has created and I actually finished devoured this book in a little over 24 hrs!

I've only read books #4-7 in this series, and I'm not ready to leave these hunky Highlanders, so I'm going back to grab the ones I've not h
Kristen
Good book but didn't like it near as much as Kiss of the Highlander, The Dark Highlander, or The Immortal Highlander (which is my favorite). I know many readers of this series loved the relationship between the H/h and felt it the most romantic of the series. Personally, I had a hard time feeling the connection between the H/h in this book, and the plot and characters felt a little bland. That being said, Spell of the Highlander is a good book and worth the read.
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Cian and Jessica's story is an epic one. Murder, mayhem, black magyck, passion, and Scotland all wrapped up in one great story. Cian is trapped in a dark mirror and hes been for over 1100 years, and Jessi falls in love with him anyway. We get to see Dageus and Drustan again . I love the MacKelters'. Cian gives up his long time vengence to save his mate/wife, very romantic. Great read and great series!!
Ilse Snell
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, before starting this book, I was what is officially known as a “highlander virgin”. My days I spent watching the TV show, Highlander (aptly put, don’t you think?) doesn’t come close to this!! This book had me humming and then full on singing the song to the highlander series. “I am immortal! I have inside me blood of Kings *aaahhhh* I have no rivals…. La la la la la…send me to the future of the world!!” I had dreams of William Wallace aka Brave Heart, riding into his village on ...more
Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)
Hey, here's a trick question: guess who cringed, slammed her head against the wall and cried in pain throughout the book?

Oh my God. This was so bad. So, so bad.

I love KMM and all, but Jesus Christ, this book was Awful . Yes, that capital A was deliberate. I dont think I have ever cringed so much while reading a book.

Dear Lord, I dont even know what to say. It was that bad.

The main characters are shit. Cian and Jessica are the most bullheaded dumbasses I have ever come across in modern literat
Casey
Cian MacKeltar was trapped inside a cursed fae mirror eleven centuries ago but the blackout at the end of The Dark Highlander happens and the mirror is stolen and sold on the black market.

That's how the mirror ends up in Jessica St. James's life.

I have to be honest, this was not my favorite book in the series, but not my least favorite either. I had more of a meh reaction to it. Jessi's character seemed like a rehash/mashup of several of the MCs from earlier in this series. And Cian manages to
Jan 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-read
Wow...I first started reading the highlander series in anticipation of finishing the fever series. I only read the first five of the fever series years ago and floved them. This is the book that really ties the highlanders to the fever series and I love it for that. But it is also Moning's alpha H and eternal love-mate bonding that makes this novel better. Her writing that describes the forever love and passionate devotion among her MCs is what makes me read romance novels. She captures the feel ...more
Trader (RedHotBlueReads)
Dec 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Just when I thought Karen Marie Moning couldn't possibly come up with another sexy Highlander and his smart, likeable mate, she does it again with Spell of the Highlander. I've been eager to read Cian's story every since Mac had something to say about him in Shadowfever (since I read the Fever series first) and his story did not disappoint, and the inclusion of Dageus in his story was just icing on the cake. The last four books of this Highlander series are a must read for any Fever fan, especia ...more
Louisa
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a great, awesome book! Loved reading about this couple! And that ending, that the Seelie Queen was manipulating things so that 5 druids would be together, and that she has 3 now, and the she was thinking it, makes me think that the next book is going to bring another one or two there! And it mentions the events of the later books in the Fever series! So awesome!
Alisa (The Reading Obsession)
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highlander
I can't believe how much I didn't notice the later books in this series-particularly this one- set up for her Fever series! Sometimes I wonder about myself...
Twist
Okay, so this one closely ties with Kiss of the Highlander as my favorite book so far.

Cian and Jessica's story is definitely one not to be missed. Not only do we get to hear their story, but we also get to see a bit of D&G and D&C at the Keltar's castle. There is romance and intrigue and love and pain and defeat and triumph.

Oh, and we get a bit of a bigger picture of why all these Keltars are meeting in the 21st century.

Only a couple of nitpicks... at one point Jessie muses on his tight
Caro
Me encantan los Highlanders de Karen, los leí hace muchos años y ahora los imagino a todos como Jason Momoa, así que me gustan instantáneamente pensando en él.
Es un poco más flojo que los demás libros, porque hay demasiada historia y poca interacción entre los personajes. Pero no puedo quejarme, Jessica es una protagonista fuerte, sin tantos reveses ni caprichos y me hacía falta leer una heroína así después de Summer (Salvaje).
  • A Highlander of Her Own (Daughters of the Glen, #4)
  • Tempting the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • Dark Rival (Masters of Time, #2)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • Wicked Highlander (Dark Sword, #3)
  • Tapestry (de Piaget, #8.5; de Piaget/MacLeod, #8.5; Were-Hunter, #0.5; Entire Dark-Hunterverse, #1.5; Dark-Hunterverse, #2; Highlander, #8)
  • Tamed by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #3)
  • Return of the Warrior (Brotherhood of the Sword #6)
“The only other calling I ever felt was an irrepressible desire to be Captain of my own Starship. I was born in the wrong century and it wasn’t possible, so I chose to explore the universe by writing fiction instead. Books are doors to endless adventure.” -KMM

Karen Marie Moning is the #1 NYT bestselling author of the Fever Series and Highlander novels.

An alum of the Immaculate Conception Academy,
More about Karen Marie Moning...

Highlander (8 books)
  • Beyond the Highland Mist (Highlander, #1)
  • To Tame a Highland Warrior (Highlander, #2)
  • The Highlander's Touch (Highlander, #3)
  • Kiss of the Highlander (Highlander, #4)
  • The Dark Highlander (Highlander, #5)
  • The Immortal Highlander (Highlander, #6)
  • Into the Dreaming (Highlander, #8)
“The entire time I'm burning in Hell, I'll regret each tear I made you weep. But if Hell were the price for twenty days with you, I'd condemn myself again and again.

- Cian MacKeltar ”
218 likes
“If she could have anything in the world, he'd asked her, what would it be?

She'd answered that one without hesitation: a best friend. She hastily added, a truly, seriously best friend; one that I couldn't wait to talk to first thing in the morning as soon as I woke up, and one that I still wanted to be talking to, right up to the last minute before I went to sleep.

He'd smiled faintly. You mean a soul mate, he'd thought but not said.”
81 likes